JF18: Aim-9X and Helmet-sight?

joh...@attglobal.net

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In all the screenshots and discussion of Jane's F-18, I don't see any
mention of the capability for the AIM-9X and the Kaiser/Elbit Joint
Helmet-Mounted Cuing System (JHMCS). Yet two sources (Aviation Weekly &
Space Technology, 8/3/98 and Tom Clancy's "Carrier") both state that the
F/A-18E/F will carry these systems before they deploy with the fleet.

Are these systems (which make ALL the difference in a close-in dogfight
against the MiG-29 or Su-27/35 with their AA-11 Archer and Schlemm HMS)
modelled in Jane's? If not, why not?!?!

C.J.? Anyone?

(another C.J.)
Chris Johnson

CJ Martin

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
<joh...@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:38754...@news1.prserv.net...

> In all the screenshots and discussion of Jane's F-18, I don't see any
> mention of the capability for the AIM-9X and the Kaiser/Elbit Joint
> Helmet-Mounted Cuing System (JHMCS). Yet two sources (Aviation Weekly &
> Space Technology, 8/3/98 and Tom Clancy's "Carrier") both state that the
> F/A-18E/F will carry these systems before they deploy with the fleet.

I'd be careful about using Clancy as a serious reference. "Carrier" is
better than most of his books in that series, but still suffers from some
errors and wishful thinking.

JHMCS is on the fast track, and probably will be available in time for the
F/A-18E IOC cruise, but it is a seperate program otherwise unrelated to the
F/A-18E. We didn't model it in the game for several reasons: it wasn't part
of the original design spec, I didn't have good data on it (still don't),
and frankly I had too many other higher priority things to worry about. That
said, you may still see some sort of "JHMCS" in the game at some future
point.

AIM-9X is in the game.

-CJ

Mike W.

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

CJ Martin <cma...@origin.ea.com> wrote in message

Hi CJ,

Looking forward to getting my copy of F/A-18. Just curious, what is the
difference in the AIM-9X vs. M or P?

Thanks,

Mike

Scott Elson

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
An addition to this about the 9X. If you are padlocked on a plane I
slave the seeker to follow the plane you are looking at (assuming it
can) with the appropriate growls/tones. The exception to this is if the
seeker is caged and you have a radar lock on a target.

Elf

CJ Martin

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
"Mike W." <spamri...@you.com> wrote in message

> Looking forward to getting my copy of F/A-18. Just curious, what is the
> difference in the AIM-9X vs. M or P?

In a nutshell, the 9X has a much higher off-boresight lockon area, greater
flare rejection, and is smart enough not to lock on to the sun.

-CJ

Major "Thunder", Ben

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
The AIM9X is all-aspect "Lock On Target" and have better turn/performance
envelopes.
--
Best regards,
______________________

joh...@attglobal.net

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
>I'd be careful about using Clancy as a serious reference. "Carrier" is
>better than most of his books in that series, but still suffers from some
>errors and wishful thinking.

Fair enough.

>JHMCS is on the fast track, and probably will be available in time for the
>F/A-18E IOC cruise, but it is a seperate program otherwise unrelated to the
>F/A-18E. We didn't model it in the game for several reasons: it wasn't part
>of the original design spec, I didn't have good data on it (still don't),
>and frankly I had too many other higher priority things to worry about.
That
>said, you may still see some sort of "JHMCS" in the game at some future
>point.
>
>AIM-9X is in the game.
>
>-CJ

Great. Thanks for the reply! I am curious however, when you say that JHMCS
may appear in the game at some later point, would that be an add-on mission
disk? It sounds rather ambitious for a patch.

Take care

Chris Johnson

Charles Gilley

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
TI recently fired the 9X and posted the flight on the web. You might want to
poke around their web site.

In article <3876108F...@origin.ea.com>, Scott Elson

<sel...@origin.ea.com> wrote:
>An addition to this about the 9X. If you are padlocked on a plane I
>slave the seeker to follow the plane you are looking at (assuming it
>can) with the appropriate growls/tones. The exception to this is if the
>seeker is caged and you have a radar lock on a target.
>
>Elf

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
<joh...@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:38767...@news1.prserv.net...

> Great. Thanks for the reply! I am curious however, when you say that
JHMCS
> may appear in the game at some later point, would that be an add-on
mission
> disk? It sounds rather ambitious for a patch.

We'll see...

-CJ

Jan-Albert van Ree

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
CJ Martin wrote:

> In a nutshell, the 9X has a much higher off-boresight lockon area, greater
> flare rejection, and is smart enough not to lock on to the sun.

I thought sun lockup wal already fixed in earlier models, like L, M and P?
Never seen it happen in other sims so far (if it was still possible, I
would think Falcon 4 would model it, it models everything else :-)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer | http://www.3dgamers.com

Christopher Lichowicz

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00

What next? FireFox and thought guidance, Tovarich?