JF/A-18 cool thingie #n

Lars Authen

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

Jørgen Smith <NOjSPs...@online.no> wrote in message
news:d8tg8sski6b9kgeab...@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I noticed that I could spot where the flak guns were by the
> fact that their muzzle flashes will actually give them away.
>
> Way cool! :)
>
> Amongst the many other great features, the HARM SP mode and defence
> avionics is a thrill. Try locking me up? Ha! There you go! };-)
>

> Regards,
> Jørgen
>
> --
> Today's choice is presskannekaffe.

So, you like the game? (and presskannekaffe and julekake of course). Are u
happy with the fps and the representation of the Norwegian scenery & light
conditions? I'm still waiting, you know...

Lars "Peedee" Authen

Sander Johansen

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Lars....the scenery is nice, most training missions (wich is all I have done
so far:-)), takes place around Bodø. I worked 2 years in Bodø (AirTraffic
Controller), and even had the pleasure of dealing with a carrier (Roosevelt)
lying in Vestfjorden during one of many exercises...The basic outline of the
scenery is good, obviously not FS2000, but still JÆVLIG BRA :-)). and ages
ahead of EF2000.....
One thing bugging me is ATC, Norwegian controllers don't have a russian
accent :-) (CJ, next time let me do the recordings:-))
Rgds
Sander Johansen
ATCO
Oslo ATCC
Norway
Lars Authen skrev i meldingen ...

Eric J. Joiner, Jr.

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:18:55 +0100, "Sander Johansen"
<hol...@online.no> wrote:

>Lars....the scenery is nice, most training missions (wich is all I have done
>so far:-)), takes place around Bodø. I worked 2 years in Bodø (AirTraffic
>Controller), and even had the pleasure of dealing with a carrier (Roosevelt)
>lying in Vestfjorden during one of many exercises...The basic outline of the
>scenery is good, obviously not FS2000, but still JÆVLIG BRA :-)). and ages
>ahead of EF2000.....
>One thing bugging me is ATC, Norwegian controllers don't have a russian
>accent :-) (CJ, next time let me do the recordings:-))
>Rgds
>Sander Johansen
>ATCO
>Oslo ATCC
>Norway
>Lars Authen skrev i meldingen ...

Sander, I have a proposal for ya. During the time that F15 was
popular, I had an acquaintance I made here that was an USAF
Air Traffic Controller. He made a mission that gave vectored
landings to an air field at Al Kharg. It was most fantastic. Used
real ATC vectoring etc along with voice recordings put into
the missions.

It would be EXCELLENT, as a Norwegian ATCO, if you were
able to do the same thing in vectoring a flight of FA-18's into
a Norway base in say, Heavy weather.

I propose a take off from the carrier, perform some mission,
like anti shipping, then come to the Land Base for recovery.
Your voice could then vector the fighters to the proper
course for ILS recovery.

So...you can be famous if you want to! I know that FA-18
has all these same capabilities as F-15. I can even send
you the F-15 mission if you want. I think I still have it.

Eric

Doodatrr

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
I dont hear any accent here,,,sounds just like me!

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
"Sander Johansen" <hol...@online.no> wrote in message

[snip]

> One thing bugging me is ATC, Norwegian controllers don't have a russian
> accent :-) (CJ, next time let me do the recordings:-))
> Rgds
> Sander Johansen
> ATCO
> Oslo ATCC
> Norway
> Lars Authen skrev i meldingen ...

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find Norwegians in Austin, Texas?

:-)

Seriously, I don't think you should be getting the Russian controller in
Norwegian airspace. We do have a "Scandinavian" controller that you should
hear in that case. I'll check into that.

I'm curious, what do you think of the accents overall?

-CJ

Eric J. Joiner, Jr.

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:41:24 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

A bit weird in honest evaluation CJ.

Besides you're in Baltimore and the EA sound crew is in
the west coast are they not??? ;-)

Eric

Darren Chriest

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
CJ \"Smut\" Martin wrote:

> Do you have any idea how hard it is to find Norwegians in Austin, Texas?

Come up here to Seattle CJ, we got tons of them. :)

Lars Authen

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

Darren Chriest <dchries!NOSPAM!@home.com> wrote in message

> CJ \"Smut\" Martin wrote:
>
> > Do you have any idea how hard it is to find Norwegians in Austin, Texas?
>
> Come up here to Seattle CJ, we got tons of them. :)

Or even better, come here (Oslo). I'll even buy you a beer, CJ. I have
perfect Scandinavian accent when I try to speak English :-)

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
"Eric J. Joiner, Jr." <ejo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Besides you're in Baltimore and the EA sound crew is in
> the west coast are they not??? ;-)

The in game speech was recorded in Austin, Texas, and the cast includes a
sprinkling of actors from F-15, LB2, Wing Commander 5, and a project that
never saw the light of day. Some of the people I wanted to reuse from F-15
had moved on to bigger and better things in L.A.; for example Toni Perinsky
(I know I probably mispelled her last name...sorry Toni!) who was the
"Female SAR helicopter pilot" in F-15 recently appeared in the movie
"Varsity Blues" (she was the...ahem...Health teacher). Of the 39 parts, I
think I was able to precast 10-12 people; the rest came from open auditions.
Lots of talent in Austin thanks to all the indy studios.

The "newscasters" used in the campaign videos were actors from the Bay Area;
we cast them remotely based on demos they did in the EA Redwood Shores sound
studio, and all that recording was done in Redwood Shores.

-CJ

Sander Johansen

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
The russian accent is very eehhh...russian :-)
Just tested now at Bodoe and Evenes, russian lady....must be an import :-)
Sander
CJ "Smut" Martin skrev i meldingen ...

Sander Johansen

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
Won't work Darren, them Norwegians in Seattle fly Gulfstreams....don't know
a S**T about combat operations :-))
Sander
Darren Chriest skrev i meldingen <38894D15...@home.com>...

Alex Pavloff

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:17:43 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com> wrote:

>The in game speech was recorded in Austin, Texas, and the cast includes a
>sprinkling of actors from F-15, LB2, Wing Commander 5, and a project that
>never saw the light of day.

I sat in on a couple of the voice audition for what I'm assuming is the project that never
saw the light of day...

Talk about interesting. What cracked me up is when it was asked if some of the actor
could do accents.

"Ok, now can you do a British accent?"
"Ok, now can you an Irish accent?"

It seemed to me like every single person that I saw before I left the auditions to the
pros had worked on Walker, Texas Ranger, also. :-)

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
"Alex Pavloff" <IDONTLIK...@pavloff.net> wrote in message

> I sat in on a couple of the voice audition for what I'm assuming is the
project that never
> saw the light of day...

That's the one.

> Talk about interesting. What cracked me up is when it was asked if some
of the actor
> could do accents.
>
> "Ok, now can you do a British accent?"
> "Ok, now can you an Irish accent?"

Man, *everybody* thinks they can do a brit...few can. :-)

> It seemed to me like every single person that I saw before I left the
auditions to the
> pros had worked on Walker, Texas Ranger, also. :-)

Yeah, I had one guy tell me he could do two different accents...

...a Texan...

...and a Cowboy.

"Next!"

-CJ

Darren Chriest

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Sander Johansen wrote:

> Won't work Darren, them Norwegians in Seattle fly Gulfstreams....don't know
> a S**T about combat operations :-))

Actually... I would say 99% of them are fisherman out of Ballard.

Eric J. Joiner, Jr.

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:45:40 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

>"Alex Pavloff" <IDONTLIK...@pavloff.net> wrote in message

Gywneth Paltrow sir, can do a MARVELOUS british accent.
Im still in love with her from "Shakespeare in Love". Thats
one wench that needs to be my bitchin betty! (CJ, can you
arrange that in yr next effort?...Im sure EA has the money!)

Eric

Darren Chriest

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Eric J. Joiner, Jr. wrote:

> Gywneth Paltrow sir, can do a MARVELOUS british accent.
> Im still in love with her from "Shakespeare in Love".

That's partly why she won an Oscar. Gweneth is a also a
TOTAL BABE in 'Emma'. If you haven't seen her in that one
run, don't walk to your favorite video store and rent it.
That's when -I- fell in love with her.

By the way... I saw her first so I get her. :^)

Sander Johansen

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

Darren Chriest skrev i meldingen <388A46B2...@home.com>...

And everyone hoping to do as much money as Mr. Roekke (Started as a
fisherman, now he's got a G-IV and a S-76, wich I often have on the
radio....american crews, great guys..:-)).
Sander

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

> Gywneth Paltrow sir, can do a MARVELOUS british accent.

> Im still in love with her from "Shakespeare in Love". Thats
> one wench that needs to be my bitchin betty! (CJ, can you
> arrange that in yr next effort?...Im sure EA has the money!)

The Bitchin Betty part is probably the least favorite role; it's very short,
and the words are recorded seperately in order to get that "chopped up"
betty sound.

BTW, as I joke I had hoped to be able to cast Ginger Lynn Allen as the
female AWACS controller in F-15 (remember, this was shortly after she had
done Wing 5). Too bad she was unavailable...:-)

-CJ

Boomer

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:00:24 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

(snip)

>The Bitchin Betty part is probably the least favorite role; it's very short,
>and the words are recorded seperately in order to get that "chopped up"
>betty sound.
>
>BTW, as I joke I had hoped to be able to cast Ginger Lynn Allen as the
>female AWACS controller in F-15 (remember, this was shortly after she had
>done Wing 5). Too bad she was unavailable...:-)
>
>-CJ

uh huh..

I think you're confusing 'Ummm Ummm.. lower... lower...' with
'Altitude... Altitude...'

Boomer

Don Burnette

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

"CJ "Smut" Martin" <sm...@home.com> wrote in message

> The Bitchin Betty part is probably the least favorite role; it's very
short,
> and the words are recorded seperately in order to get that "chopped up"
> betty sound.
>
> BTW, as I joke I had hoped to be able to cast Ginger Lynn Allen as the
> female AWACS controller in F-15 (remember, this was shortly after she had
> done Wing 5). Too bad she was unavailable...:-)

Gosh darnit!!

Don Burnette

Nos

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
wrote:

>BTW, as I joke I had hoped to be able to cast Ginger Lynn Allen as the
>female AWACS controller in F-15 (remember, this was shortly after she had
>done Wing 5). Too bad she was unavailable...:-)
>

>-CJ

Ginger Lynn the pornstar? :-)

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
"Boomer" <boo...@cris.com> wrote in message

> I think you're confusing 'Ummm Ummm.. lower... lower...' with
> 'Altitude... Altitude...'
>
> Boomer

Boomer, did you ever hear the F-15 outtakes? They were pretty popular in the
Origin office (popular enough for me to get in trouble over some alleged
content).

;-)

-CJ

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
"Nos" <ge...@computer.net> wrote in message

The same. :-)

She was in Wing 3 and 5, and did a great job.

-CJ

Mark J. Cintala

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Hey, CJ --

Now, *there's* and idea!!! How about putting an "extra bonus folder"
on the next game's CD? "F-15 Outtakes"!!!

Wow. I'd buy three!

Craters

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:27:40 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

Nos

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:28:24 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

>The same. :-)

>She was in Wing 3 and 5, and did a great job.

Hmm..I've only played Wing2 so maybe I'll have to pick up Wing5 just
for the novelty of having her in it.

Darren Chriest

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Nos wrote:

> Ginger Lynn the pornstar? :-)

Yeah, she "did" Wing Commander. 3 & 4 I think.

Darren Chriest

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
CJ \"Smut\" Martin wrote:

> She was in Wing 3 and 5, and did a great job.

Ah. She wasn't in 4 huh?

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

> Hmm..I've only played Wing2 so maybe I'll have to pick up Wing5 just
> for the novelty of having her in it.

Her part was somewhat larger in Wing 3...she was one of two potential "love
interests" you could hook up with during the course of the game. I think
there is a patch out that will let play Wing3 in Windows.

-CJ

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

> CJ \"Smut\" Martin wrote:
>
> > She was in Wing 3 and 5, and did a great job.
>
> Ah. She wasn't in 4 huh?

No, and that was a shame, as I thought the storyline in Wing 4 was
excellent.

-CJ

Nos

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:03:32 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

>Her part was somewhat larger in Wing 3...she was one of two potential "love
>interests" you could hook up with during the course of the game. I think
>there is a patch out that will let play Wing3 in Windows.
>
>-CJ

OK thx. But Wing5 has better gameplay, no?

CJ "Smut" Martin

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

> OK thx. But Wing5 has better gameplay, no?

Dunno, that's subjective I guess. IMHO, Wing 3 & 4 were more interesting
because of the interactive movie cutscenes where I as a player could make
certain choices that affected the storyline. Wing 4 took this to the next
level...there were multiple possible endings that were very different.

Wing 5 dumped much of that, but the graphics and space combat is
spectacular. The mission briefings were also very well done...oh to be able
to do that in a flight sim!

So I guess they all have their strengths. All of them are great escapist
fun.

As always, IMHO.

-CJ

Nos

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:52:17 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com>
wrote:

>Wing 5 dumped much of that, but the graphics and space combat is
>spectacular. The mission briefings were also very well done...oh to be able
>to do that in a flight sim!

I've never been big on space sims, but have had a few (Starwars
mostly). I guess you can't do that cut scene movie stuff in a
flight-sim because you need the money for realistic flight-models etc.
and they don't.

Dekka

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
So CJ,

Did you get to use the casting couch ? :-)

Regards,

Derek

"CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com> wroth:

>"Eric J. Joiner, Jr." <ejo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> Besides you're in Baltimore and the EA sound crew is in
>> the west coast are they not??? ;-)

>The in game speech was recorded in Austin, Texas, and the cast includes a

Gregor Veble

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
CJ \"Smut\" Martin wrote:

> "Eric J. Joiner, Jr." <ejo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> > Besides you're in Baltimore and the EA sound crew is in
> > the west coast are they not??? ;-)
>
> The in game speech was recorded in Austin, Texas, and the cast
> ... for example Toni Perinsky

> (I know I probably mispelled her last name...sorry Toni!) who was the
> "Female SAR helicopter pilot" in F-15 recently appeared in the movie
> "Varsity Blues" (she was the...ahem...Health teacher).

This is taken from the Internet Movie Database:

Tonie Perensky

Sometimes Credited As:
Tonie Perenski

Starred as Miss Davis in Varsity Blues

Memorable Quotes from
Varsity Blues (1999)

Miss Davis: Now I want y'all to repeat after me: penis, penis, penis;
vagina, vagina, vagina!

Miss Davis: Can anyone tell me a common slang term for the male
erection?
Student: Boner? Is boner one?
Miss Davis: Yes! Boner is good, boner is very good!

Billy Bob: [staring at Miss Davis's breasts] Miss Davis, would you go to
the prom with me?

Makes you want to eject from the F-15 right after takeoff...

Greetings,

Gregor

Michael Coats

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

> "Eric J. Joiner, Jr." <ejo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> Some of the people I wanted to reuse from F-15
> had moved on to bigger and better things in L.A.; for example Toni

Perinsky
> (I know I probably mispelled her last name...sorry Toni!) who was the
> "Female SAR helicopter pilot" in F-15 recently appeared in the movie
> "Varsity Blues" (she was the...ahem...Health teacher).

Hummm..I saw Varsity Blues...and the "Health Teacher". Wish my teachers in
Highschool looked like that...and danced like that!!!

Great game CJ. The more I play it, the better it gets. I have never played
any computer game as much as I have F-18. I do have occassionsl CTD's and
lockups, but usually after 2 or 3 days of heavy playing. This is going to
sound dumb, but since the CTS occur just after a HD access in all cases, I
remove my swapfile (not on the same drive as F-18), reboot, and then
recreate it. It seems to get me going for another 15 to 20 hrs of flying.
I also had to go to my voodoo II cards and not my TNT 2 Ultra. Don't know
why, but always get CTD's with the TNT. Tried every driver out. I am sure
it has something to do with my system, but for the life of me, I can't
figure out what. Once again..great sim!!

CJ Martin

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
"Dekka" <dek...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> So CJ,
>
> Did you get to use the casting couch ? :-)

LOL, nope. When go out to Austin to do that stuff, everyday is 12-14 hours
of hard work...I'm too fricken exhausted to worry about anything else.

I think I saw 80 people in two days during the F/A-18 auditions.

-CJ

Scott Elson

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Sure she might come over to pick you up, but I think she'll be
disappointed by your premature ejection. ;-)

Elf

Alex Pavloff

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:28:24 GMT, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com> wrote:

>The same. :-)

>She was in Wing 3 and 5, and did a great job.

And, from what I hear, easier to work with than Mark Hamill. :-)

Daniel K. Shaw

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
In article <lfOi4.9732$jB.1...@news.rdc1.md.home.com>, "CJ \"Smut\" Martin" <sm...@home.com> wrote:
>"Nos" <ge...@computer.net> wrote in message
>
>> OK thx. But Wing5 has better gameplay, no?
>
>Dunno, that's subjective I guess. IMHO, Wing 3 & 4 were more interesting
>because of the interactive movie cutscenes where I as a player could make
>certain choices that affected the storyline. Wing 4 took this to the next
>level...there were multiple possible endings that were very different.

Instead of being fluffy filler, I thought the cutscenes were so good in
WC4 that I wanted to skip the combat scenes so I could get to the next movie!
I can't think of any flight sims that have had that problem. I thought the
actual missions got stale (fly to point A, kill fighters, fly to point B,
etc.), but I still remember the story and cutscenes vividly. And it was
unusual (and still is) to have a sim game present moral dilemmas.

>Wing 5 dumped much of that, but the graphics and space combat is
>spectacular. The mission briefings were also very well done...oh to be able
>to do that in a flight sim!

Hmm, I guess you can make some pretty nifty briefings when your budget is
in the several million dollar range. As for the graphics and space combat,
they were much improved over WC4, but I thought the story and writing were the
worst of the series -- Chris Robert's departure must have had something to do
with it. By the point where

SPOILER SPACE
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
ultra-veteran Maniac gets a lecture from our hero (on his first tour of duty)
I was totally disgusted.

>So I guess they all have their strengths. All of them are great escapist
>fun.
>
>As always, IMHO.
>
>-CJ

Hmm, I wonder if Jetfighter III was the only recent flight-sim to have a Wing
Commander-type design?

Dan Shaw

Darren Chriest

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Daniel K. Shaw wrote:

> Hmm, I wonder if Jetfighter III was the only recent flight-sim to have a Wing
> Commander-type design?

How so? Were there cutscenes in Jetfighter III or something? I don't
seeme to remember that but I didn't really play it that much either.
What do you mean by "Wing commander type design"?

Darren Chriest

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Scott Elson wrote:

> Sure she might come over to pick you up, but I think she'll be
> disappointed by your premature ejection. ;-)

<Groan> I saw that one coming....

Boomer

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
wrote:

>"Boomer" <boo...@cris.com> wrote in message

>> I think you're confusing 'Ummm Ummm.. lower... lower...' with
>> 'Altitude... Altitude...'
>>
>> Boomer
>
>Boomer, did you ever hear the F-15 outtakes? They were pretty popular in the
>Origin office (popular enough for me to get in trouble over some alleged
>content).

No (and being so involved with F-15 while at OSI I wonder how I missed
that)

Rats...

Boomer

Alex Pavloff

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:43:04 GMT, dans...@MOVEsprint.ca (Daniel K.
Shaw) wrote:

>Instead of being fluffy filler, I thought the cutscenes were so good in
>WC4 that I wanted to skip the combat scenes so I could get to the next movie!
>I can't think of any flight sims that have had that problem. I thought the
>actual missions got stale (fly to point A, kill fighters, fly to point B,
>etc.), but I still remember the story and cutscenes vividly. And it was
>unusual (and still is) to have a sim game present moral dilemmas.

That whole end series was great.

The whole thing where the big ass carrier turns around and everyone on
the little carrier gets the "oh.... sh*t" look on their face.

That and the sequence where you let Tolywn go after you captured him.

The best use of FMV in a game, ever, IMHO.

--
Alex Pavloff - alex at pavloff dot net
Thank you fly through