Overseer Question

mick

Sep 7, 2002, 3:47:47 PM9/7/02
I was thinking about getting a copy of Overseer from EBay. Could anyone tell
me if this game runs from Win98. The reason I`m asking is that my soundcard
seems not to work with games designed to run primarily from DOS.

mick

Bronxtim

Sep 7, 2002, 3:55:32 PM9/7/02
I'm running it in Win98 using an Aureal Vortex sound card. You should be able
to play it. Make sure you get the patch from www.microsoft.com/games/texmurphy
if you do get a copy. What sound card do you have? Maybe you need to download
DOS drivers from the company that made it to play DOS games. Overseer is not a
DOS game, it says it needs Win95 on the box.

mick

Sep 7, 2002, 4:10:42 PM9/7/02

It`s a Creative Soundblaster Live. The drivers are installed but as far as
DOS is concerned it`s a complete no-go. I posted a few days ago about not
being able to get sound to work with Full Throttle. I originally thought it
was down to the game itself but it appears to be that the SB16 emulation
doesn`t work at all with my setup, so I`ll have to be a bit more carefull
which old games I buy.

Glad to see Overseer works from Windows though. Thanks for your response.

mick

Joan Hansen

Sep 7, 2002, 6:30:15 PM9/7/02
Mick,

Check creative's site you should be able to get Dos drivers, but most
Creative software comes with dos drivers. Do you have the sound info in
your autoexec.bat file?

Joan

mick

Sep 7, 2002, 7:29:38 PM9/7/02

Joan Hansen wrote:
> Mick,
>
> Check creative's site you should be able to get Dos drivers, but most
> Creative software comes with dos drivers. Do you have the sound info in
> your autoexec.bat file?
>
> Joan

The drivers are installed. SBECFG confirms IRQ, DMA, Port are all set
correctly.
SBESET -c reports that SB16 emulation is turned on, but when I run SBEGO I
get an error message "Is SB16 emulation running?" (or something similar).

mick

Mad

Sep 7, 2002, 7:55:47 PM9/7/02

"mick" <mick...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

Hi Mick.

I have very recently put "Overseer" up for trade/sale on my "available"
listing at www.gametz.com so if you don't have any luck at Ebay - you are
welcome to visit :-)

Cheers.

Madeleine Williams.

Joan Hansen

Sep 7, 2002, 11:14:13 PM9/7/02
Mick, lets start all over again. Yes, Overseer does play in Win98SE and
WinXP. It should include a DVD version of the game too. With the DVD
version you really need a decoder card, but it is just as nice in the
regular CD format. I re-read the post and you haven't purchased the
game yet. It should run OK in Win98 OK.

You also indicated you couldn't play dos games. I love TEX Murphy and
have all his games. I have SoundBlaster Live on my Win98 system. Below
is a form of autoexec.bat and config.sys file that can be set up to play
dos games. You can restart in dos or place these type of files on a
floppy disk and boot up to dos a: prompt to play dos games. The
following files are only an example for Win98. You must change your
sound setup and mouse setup in the autoexec and in config you must
change the cd rom drives to what your's are. It may take a little
fooling around but you can have the best of both dos and windows. I
sure do. The two files should go into the root directory c:\

Hope some of this helps you, but Overseer should play OK in Win98
without the two files below. Be sure to download the update.

Joan

This is Autoexec.bat file
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET winbootdir=c:\WINDOWS
SET PROMPT=MS-DOS Mode $p$g
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

This is config.sys file
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
FILESHIGH=40
BUFFERSHIGH=40
rem DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe

mick wrote:

> Joan Hansen wrote:

<snip>

Jenny100

Sep 7, 2002, 11:51:10 PM9/7/02
"mick" <mick...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

The SBLive's DOS emulation will not work unless you have a
motherboard that supports NMI (non-maskable interrupts).
If yours doesn't, perhaps that is your problem.

DOS emulation within Windows
(i.e. DOS box or "full screen DOS box") is different from
the DOS emulation that works in DOS mode (rebooted to DOS).
For sound in DOS mode, you need drivers loaded in your
config.sys and autoexec.bat.

The default location for the drivers is
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\DOSDrv

If you don't have that folder, or if it's empty, that could also be
why you aren't getting sound in DOS.

The drivers you download from the Creative website do not
include drivers for DOS mode. You have to get those off the
installation CD. Or you can download the contents of the
DOSDrv folder from
http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/SBLiveDosDrv.html

and configure your sound card manually. (Joan Hansen is
helping you with that part).

mick

Sep 8, 2002, 11:58:58 AM9/8/02

Joan Hansen wrote:
> Mick, lets start all over again. Yes, Overseer does play in Win98SE and
> WinXP. It should include a DVD version of the game too. With the DVD
> version you really need a decoder card, but it is just as nice in the
> regular CD format. I re-read the post and you haven't purchased the
> game yet. It should run OK in Win98 OK.

I don`t have a DVD but I`m happy to play from ordinary CD`s.

> You also indicated you couldn't play dos games. I love TEX Murphy and
> have all his games. I have SoundBlaster Live on my Win98 system.

I`ve played UAKM and PD but it was before I bought the SB.

> Below
> is a form of autoexec.bat and config.sys file that can be set up to play
> dos games. You can restart in dos or place these type of files on a
> floppy disk and boot up to dos a: prompt to play dos games. The
> following files are only an example for Win98. You must change your
> sound setup and mouse setup in the autoexec and in config you must
> change the cd rom drives to what your's are. It may take a little
> fooling around but you can have the best of both dos and windows. I
> sure do. The two files should go into the root directory c:\

I`ve already changed my startup files and got all of the settings matched up
in the Device Manager for SB16 emulation and SBECFG. I`ve even set IRQ5 to
Legacy in my BIOS so that it can have INT5 all to itself instead of sharing
INT7 with my printer. But when I try to run SBEGO (The SB utility that tests
SB16 emulation is working) it return with an error, asking if SB16 is turned
on. SBECFG confirms that it is.

I`ve been trawling back through the creative newsgroup archives and the NMI
problem which Jenny mentions in another post is reffered to there. If that
is the problem them I`m at a dead end. The best route I can think of, is to
add a cheap SB16 card to my ISA. I`ll check out EBay. I am, of course,
assuming that you can have 2 soundcards on the same machine. I`ll have to
check that out as well.

> Hope some of this helps you, but Overseer should play OK in Win98
> without the two files below.

Good. I`m looking forward to playing it.

It`s been a long time since I`ve messed around with DOS and scripts and I`ve
been amazed at how much of it I had forgotten (not that I was ever
particularly brilliant at it in the first place:-)).

When I first brought up the sound problem in the Full Throttle thread,
somebody mentioned that I give Scummvm a try, which I did. The voice acting
and sound are indeed fantastic. Unfortunately I`ve only been able to play as
far as the mink farm where it keeps crashing. It has however given me an
idea of what I am missing in the game:-) ...or should that be :-(

Anyway thanks to everyone who has tried to help. Much appreciated.

mick.

MaryJ

Sep 8, 2002, 1:29:33 PM9/8/02
"mick" <mick...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

snip

> I`ve been trawling back through the creative newsgroup archives and the
NMI
> problem which Jenny mentions in another post is reffered to there. If that
> is the problem them I`m at a dead end. The best route I can think of, is
> add a cheap SB16 card to my ISA. I`ll check out EBay. I am, of course,
> assuming that you can have 2 soundcards on the same machine. I`ll have to
> check that out as well.

Mick: You might be better off just to buy a SB16 ISA card. I use my old
Creative Labs Sb16, and I used to have Sblive installed, and still have it
around somewhere. I might use it at a later time.The Sb16 works fine with
all games and in DOS games, I think it sounds better than the DOS emulator
that Sblive uses. I took the sblive right out of my machine, because
sometimes there seemed to be a conflict between it and the Sb16, even though
I h ad the sblive disabled, but you can try disabling the sblive in Device
Manager, and putting in an ISA Sb16, and see if you have any problems. If
you do, you might need to take out the sblive. You will have to install DOS
drivers no matter which sound card you have though.

Hope this helps some.

MaryJ

Jenny100

Sep 8, 2002, 3:57:54 PM9/8/02
"mick" <mick...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

> I`ve been trawling back through the creative newsgroup archives and the
NMI
> problem which Jenny mentions in another post is reffered to there. If that
> is the problem them I`m at a dead end. The best route I can think of, is
> add a cheap SB16 card to my ISA. I`ll check out EBay. I am, of course,
> assuming that you can have 2 soundcards on the same machine. I`ll have to
> check that out as well.

Check here
http://alive.singnet.com.sg/tech/2cards.htm

mick

Sep 8, 2002, 4:07:27 PM9/8/02

Thanks again Jenny.

--
mick

Jenny100

Sep 9, 2002, 12:11:50 AM9/9/02

> >> The best route I can think of, is to add a cheap SB16
> >> card to my ISA. I`ll check out EBay. I am, of course,
> >> assuming that you can have 2 soundcards on the same
> >> machine. I`ll have to check that out as well.
> >
> > Check here
> > http://alive.singnet.com.sg/tech/2cards.htm
>
> Thanks again Jenny.
>
> --
> mick

Good luck

mick

Sep 9, 2002, 11:19:04 AM9/9/02
> Good luck

I think I`ve just had some:-)

This talk of having two soundcards got me thinking. I wondered if the ESS
sound which is built onto the motherboard would work together with the
SBLive card. I had always assumed not. I had removed a jumper (as per the
instructions) from the MB, which disabled the ESS, when I installed the
SBLive. Anyway I decided to give it a go. I replaced the jumper and guess
what? It works. I connected the output from the ESS to the input of the
SBLive so I don`t even have to swap the speakers back and forth between the
two systems:-)

Now if only I could get past the fighting part on the mine road in Full
Throttle. Grrrr I hate these sort of bits in adventure games, `cos I`m
rubbish at them.

mick