Adventure Gaming Convention

1 view

John.P....@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2007, 1:52:29 AM3/22/07
Haven't seen this mentioned here - there's going to be an adventure
gaming convention (AdventureCon) at the Mirage in Las Vegas in late
August. They have packages that include hotel, meals, and tickets.
Presenters include Al Lowe, Chris Jones, Jane Jensen, Scott Adams, and
probably more. Seems expensive, but if you were planning a trip to
Vegas anyway...

http://www.adventurecon.org/index.htm

Andrew Plotkin

Mar 22, 2007, 11:48:37 AM3/22/07
Not to be too personal about it -- but the guy who organized this is,
er, kind of a tool.

<http://www.davelgil.com/wordpress/?p=178>

If you're into the guests, that's fine. Just be aware that the
organizer probably sees the whole thing as a way to advertise himself,
and collect money in the bargain.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't subjected you to searches without a warrant,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're an American.

How...@malinche.net

Apr 8, 2007, 7:59:11 AM4/8/07
Andrew,

That's OK. A lot of people have said much the same thing about you.
And worse. We all had a good laugh. Thanks. :)

Like always, I'll take a moment to set the record straight. The
official AdventureCon website doesn't benefit Malinche more or less
than any other sponsor or participant. At AdventureCon itself
Malinche will have an ordinary presence in Exhibitor's Hall just like
any other exhibitor.

So, once again, you're caught in the act of propagating a myth with no
basis of any kind in fact. Typical "bizarro world" behavior on your
part. How could I expect any less? <smirk> Aren't you getting just a
little tired of embarassing yourself?

AND NOW FOR EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS --

Thanks to some fancy footwork on my part -- AdventureCon Tickets are
now only $69 with no cuts in events or content! The Mirage dropped the
mandatory food-and-beverage commitments so now we're able to throw the
same event but without the buffets which is why we're able to make
tickets so much more affordable.

See you all in Vegas!

Howard Sherman
AdventureCon Co-Founder
http://www.adventurecon.org

Andrew Plotkin

Apr 8, 2007, 11:41:01 AM4/8/07
Here, How...@malinche.net wrote:

> So, once again, you're caught in the act of propagating a myth with no
> basis of any kind in fact. Typical "bizarro world" behavior on your
> part. How could I expect any less? <smirk> Aren't you getting just a
> little tired of embarassing yourself?

I see you've bought into the Jacek worldview. That makes two of you.
Enjoy the company.

The funny thing here is that you're misquoting. He *doesn't* accuse me
of propagating myths or living in bizarro world. He accuses me of
calling everyone who dislikes my work a troll. (He's lying, mind you,
but that's what he says.) I think the closest that anyone's come to
what you say is the "Plotkin is an ivory-tower academic who has no
idea how real games work," but it's still not quite the same thing.

Anyway, you've carefully avoided making any claim that contradicts
what I said. I wasn't talking about the AdventureCon web site.

--Z

*

When Bush says "Stay the course," what he means is "I don't know what to
do next." He's been saying this for years now.

Andrew Plotkin

Apr 8, 2007, 11:57:08 AM4/8/07
Here, How...@malinche.net wrote:

> Thanks to some fancy footwork on my part -- AdventureCon Tickets are
> now only $69 with no cuts in events or content! The Mirage dropped the
> mandatory food-and-beverage commitments so now we're able to throw the
> same event but without the buffets which is why we're able to make
> tickets so much more affordable.

I skipped this bit in my previous reply. That is good news.

--Z

*

dave...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2007, 10:02:05 PM4/9/07
On Mar 22, 11:48 am, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> Here, John.P.McDev...@gmail.com wrote:

> Not to be too personal about it -- but the guy who organized this is,
> er, kind of a tool.
>
> <http://www.davelgil.com/wordpress/?p=178>

Woo. Zarf has acknowledged my existence. My life is now complete.

I was a lurker on this newsgroup back in the mid-90s. I played all
the cool, new games but I never made a big impression. Who knew that
10 years later I would have the reputation of being "the guy who wrote
that thing about Howard Sherman that everybody links to."

Anyways, adventurecon. I was thinking about going as a speaker or
panelist, but ended up deciding not to for various reasons. I do have
high hopes for the convention, though. My main hope is that the con
will transcend the various reputations of its organizers. Most
everyone I speak to has a strong opinion about either Howard or Randy
(myself included), and that could prove to be a problem.

-Dave