Report: DNF is Dead

rms

May 6, 2009, 9:07:45 PM5/6/09
Rumor has it Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms is shutting down.
Shacknews today cites 'a reliable source close to the company' who said the
developer, along with the recently resurrected Apogee name, is finished and
employees from both have already been let go.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/3D-Realms-Closes-Duke-Nukem,7736.html

rms

Memnoch

May 6, 2009, 10:56:06 PM5/6/09

I'm just surprised that it took so long for them to close up shop.

Message has been deleted

Michael Cecil

May 7, 2009, 1:02:45 AM5/7/09
On Wed, 6 May 2009 19:07:45 -0600, "rms" <rsqu...@REMOVEflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>Rumor has it Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms is shutting down.

But, but, but, I PREPAID for the Collector's Edition!!!!

Damn. Now what am I going to play on the C=64?
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macecil/

Jonah Falcon

May 7, 2009, 1:20:42 AM5/7/09
http://www.gamestooge.com/2009/05/07/duke-nukem-forever-no-more/

3D Realms has finally run out of cash and it looks like Duke Nukem Forever
may forever be unreleased vaporware, as Take 2 refuses to bail the company
out. Three weeks ago, George Broussard had reported in a Twitter post that
they had finished 90% of the game:

Closing out a milestone this week. 71 more tasks to do and we started with
probably 800-900. Been a good push. Next one starts Monday.

Earlier today, it had been reported that 3D Realms and the newly resurrected
Apogee had fired some employees and that they'd lost funding. It was later
revealed that Apogee was still developing Duke Nukem Trilogy for handheld
consoles with Deep Silver:

"Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D
Realms," a representative for the companies told us. "Development on the
Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

At latest notice, 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has commented on the shut
down, stating: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing
further to say at this time."

Unless an angel comes to save it, it looks like Duke Nukem Forever will
become Duke Nukem Never.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58519

rpgs rock dvds

May 7, 2009, 1:45:53 AM5/7/09

"90% finished" is a well known and derided assertion from software
development companies. I was a programmer for over 10 years, and
whenever a developer was asked to say how much of the task had been
completed, and when said developer replied with "90%", all you heard
after that was laughter. 90% = 75% max I'd say.

To be brutally honest, if this 12 year project hasn't been completed,
then it's probably because of lack of talent.

Vince

May 7, 2009, 2:57:49 AM5/7/09
"rpgs rock dvds" wrote

> "90% finished" is a well known and derided assertion from software
> development companies. I was a programmer for over 10 years, and
> whenever a developer was asked to say how much of the task had been
> completed, and when said developer replied with "90%", all you heard
> after that was laughter. 90% = 75% max I'd say.

The last 10% of a project takes 90% of the time.

Tim O

May 7, 2009, 5:40:39 AM5/7/09

So we were looking at aonther hundred years at least, anyway.

Memnoch

May 7, 2009, 9:55:46 AM5/7/09
On Wed, 6 May 2009 22:45:53 -0700 (PDT), rpgs rock dvds
<cccd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>To be brutally honest, if this 12 year project hasn't been completed,
>then it's probably because of lack of talent.

12 years! Has it really been that long? Let's put things into perspective
shall we?

Channel Tunnel 6 years
Eiffel Tower 2 years
Empire State building 1 year
Hoover Dam 5 years!

And my personal favourite:

NASA inception 1958
First manned moon landing 1969

11 years! We went to the moon in less time than it took these chumps to
finally give up on a video game!! MASSIVE FAIL

Michael Cecil

May 7, 2009, 10:38:58 AM5/7/09

Heh, that is a good one. :)

Warewolf

May 7, 2009, 10:46:46 AM5/7/09
rpgs rock dvds <cccd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

> To be brutally honest, if this 12 year project hasn't been completed,
> then it's probably because of lack of talent.

Then again, it took *26 years* for Richard Williams and his team(s) to
finish Thief and the Cobbler (no thanks to Disney's meddling) but, thanks
to the power of the internet, it can be viewed in its uncensored entirety
on YouTube

Simply look for the term 'recobbled cut'.

(Trust me. Aside from a couple of sketchy scenes, it's quite good.) ^_^

Signed,
Warewolf
who can only guess at the number of other 'long-term projects' that were
(never) completed.

Shawk

May 7, 2009, 2:39:48 PM5/7/09
rpgs rock dvds wrote:

> To be brutally honest, if this 12 year project hasn't been completed,
> then it's probably because of lack of talent.

"Guardian newspaper games writer Steve Boxer said it was astonishing 3D
Realms had not finished the game after more than a decade of development.

"It would have been nice to see another Duke Nukem game, but given they
had more than 12 years it's just incompetence of the highest order".

KCB

May 7, 2009, 4:53:16 PM5/7/09

"Memnoch" <mem...@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> 11 years! We went to the moon in less time than it took these chumps
> finally give up on a video game!! MASSIVE FAIL

EPIC, even...

Mr Rob

May 8, 2009, 8:57:54 PM5/8/09
On Thu, 07 May 2009 19:39:48 +0100, Shawk <sh...@gmx.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>"Guardian newspaper games writer Steve Boxer said it was astonishing 3D
>Realms had not finished the game after more than a decade of development.
>
>"It would have been nice to see another Duke Nukem game, but given they
>had more than 12 years it's just incompetence of the highest order".
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8037688.stm

It seems as if the game was actually still being worked on right up
until the closure of 3D Realms.

http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/

'T_Ray' did a lot of work on Planetside a few years back and was an
awesome guy to chat to via the official forums as well as in-game.

--
Rob

Michael Cecil

May 8, 2009, 11:29:09 PM5/8/09
On Sat, 09 May 2009 01:57:54 +0100, Mr Rob
<noemail...@jsjsaiiowppw.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 May 2009 19:39:48 +0100, Shawk <sh...@gmx.co.uk.3guesses>
>wrote:
>

>>"Guardian newspaper games writer Steve Boxer said it was astonishing 3D
>>Realms had not finished the game after more than a decade of development.
>>
>>"It would have been nice to see another Duke Nukem game, but given they
>>had more than 12 years it's just incompetence of the highest order".
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8037688.stm
>

>It seems as if the game was actually still being worked on right up
>until the closure of 3D Realms.

One hex character per day???

tie7...@yahoo.com

May 9, 2009, 8:23:14 PM5/9/09
amazing how they dropped the ball on a promising francise. the orginal
came closest to capturing the feeling I had when I played Doom. this
could have been a MAJOR player like the halflife francise is today.

shame.

Gray Death

May 10, 2009, 12:37:22 PM5/10/09

Anyone know how much money was sunk into it over its 12 years?

Tim O

May 10, 2009, 3:27:19 PM5/10/09

At least 500 bucks.

Memnoch

May 10, 2009, 7:45:12 PM5/10/09

And that was on coffee and hookers.

Walter Mitty

May 11, 2009, 8:48:20 AM5/11/09
Memnoch <mem...@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> writes:

And pizza. Don't forget the pizza.

--
I want to keep fighting because it is the only thing that keeps me out
of the hamburger joints. If I don't fight, I'll eat this planet.

Mr. Stabby

May 12, 2009, 12:48:34 PM5/12/09
Some gameplay footage has been released, it pretty much kicks ass
(unfinished as it is though:)

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/05/video-duke-nukem-forever-gameplay-footage/

Memnoch

May 12, 2009, 3:55:05 PM5/12/09
On Tue, 12 May 2009 09:48:34 -0700 (PDT), "Mr. Stabby" <dbat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Some gameplay footage has been released, it pretty much kicks ass
>(unfinished as it is though:)
>
>http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/05/video-duke-nukem-forever-gameplay-footage/

Looks like it could have been fun. I really hope someone picks this project up
and runs with it.

Andrew MacPherson

May 13, 2009, 5:08:00 AM5/13/09
mem...@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com (Memnoch) wrote:

> Looks like it could have been fun. I really hope someone picks this
> project up and runs with it.

Agreed. The footage was much more intriguing than anything else I've seen recently.
I wasn't expecting it to ever get finished, and I hadn't really thought about Duke
for a very long time. But those shots made it look like a potentially decent sequel
to what was, not my memory's been jogged, a very good addition to the genre.

Oh well, I guess you can't lose what you never had, and if I hadn't watched that
footage I wouldn't have been missing DFN either.

Andrew McP

Andrew MacPherson

May 13, 2009, 5:10:00 AM5/13/09
mcp.a...@DELETTHISgmail.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote: