Crusader in Win95?

Evan

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95
Has anyone been successful with this? Please
e-mail me if it's no trouble....thanks!

--Evan

Origin Technical Support

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95
Evan_M...@brown.edu (Evan) wrote:

>--Evan

Unfortunately, due to the DOS extender that the game uses, it will not
work at all under Win95. :( You will have to force the system to
reboot to DOS with a specific configuration and then it will work just
fine. :)

Chico
Origin PS

Michael Carmack

Oct 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/5/95
S. Patrick Gallaty (pat...@sirius.com) wrote:
: You know, I was going to ask why in hell Origin insists on
: using this pharr-lap extender? It sucks from my point of view
: that crusader and ultima 8 (and others) from origin require me
: to reboot my damned machine when I want to play.
: C&C doesn't. Doom doesn't. Descent doesn't. CK doesn't.

The extender question is really an extension of a better question: why
doesn't Origin use the Watcom compiler? It has been consistently
benchmarked as producing the fastest code, which is the bottom-line most
important issue in a compiler used for writing games.

My guess is that Origin is using Borland C/C++ because the Phar-Lap
extender works with it. (There are versions of Phar-Lap for other
compilers I believe, so I could be wrong about this.) Borland does not
produce very fast code at all, but it's a heck of a lot easier to use from
the programmer's viewpoint than Watcom.

And Borland costs 2.5 times as much as Watcom! But price really shouldn't
be an issue for a company as large as Origin (it is for me, though!) And
if it were, they could always use djgpp which is FREE! (It's a real pain
in the butt to use, though, unless you're a UNIX fan.)

"In sports, it's not who wins or loses; | Mike Carmack
it's how drunk you get." | mcarmack@freenet.
- Homer Simpson | columbus.oh.us

Philip Langdale

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
Michael Carmack (mcar...@freenet.columbus.oh.us) wrote:
[...]

Well, for wc3 they WROTE an extender from the ground up. (Can you imagine?)
If they did that for all their games, I would imagine a considerable
performance boost, but it would also stretch developing time a lot.
oh well. They are shifting to 95 so the issue is moot in any case.

: --

: ========================================================================

--
Copyright (C) 1995 Philip Langdale. All rights reserved. Permission to transmit
or make availible for public access is herebye granted to everyone with the

Donavon Keithley

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
In article <454b33$k...@lantana.singnet.com.sg>,
rog...@merlion.singnet.com.sg (Philip Langdale) wrote:

> Michael Carmack (mcar...@freenet.columbus.oh.us) wrote:
> : The extender question is really an extension of a better question: why
> : doesn't Origin use the Watcom compiler?

Each project separately decides what compiler/DOS extender to use.
Longbow (the project I'm on) *is* using Watcom/DOS4GW. Crusader had to
use Borland and 16-bit PharLap because it was based on the Ultima 8
engine. Wing Commander 3 used Metaware/PharLap386. I believe all of the
Win95 projects are using Visual C++.

> It has been consistently
> : benchmarked as producing the fastest code, which is the bottom-line most
> : important issue in a compiler used for writing games.

Yup. That's why we chose it for our project.

> Well, for wc3 they WROTE an extender from the ground up. (Can you imagine?)

Uh, that's news to me, and I suspect that I would have heard about it if
they had.

Donavon Keithley "The uncontested absurdities of today are
keit...@origin.ea.com the accepted slogans of tomorrow."
Origin Systems, Inc. -- Ayn Rand
I do not speak for Origin Systems.