When was the first demo?

Chu Siu Hang

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Hi all!

When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

Thanks,
- Nelson
Nelson Chu Siu Hang Year 1 Undergraduate student in Computer
Email : eg_c...@stu.ust.hk Engineering at Hong Kong University of
css...@cs.ust.hk Science and Technology
Homepage : http://home.ust.hk/~eg_cshaa/

Antti Piirainen

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk (Chu Siu Hang) writes:

>Hi all!
>
> When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
> Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

The first demo?

The first demo-kind of thing in what we are used to associate
to something known as "the scene" was released over ten years
ago in the eighties, on the C-64, and nobody knows what it was.
--
\ \// Antti "Addict" Piirainen Breathe the pressure,
>/< Doomsday.Topaz Beerline.Solaria Come play my game I'll test ya
//\ \ http://www.lut.fi/~piiraine/ Psychosomatic Addict insane

SCouT/SuccesS

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

>eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk (Chu Siu Hang) writes:
>
>>Hi all!
>>
>> When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
>> Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

Demo's were born of crack intro's on the Commodore 64.
Those crack intro's were no more than a graphical signature of the
guy(s) who cracked the game.
During the 80's those intro's evolved from a static screen with only
the name of the cracker, to screens with music+scrolltexts+rasterbars
into mindblasting demo's.

Mm... does any1 want to write a book about this?

Greets,
SCouT/SuccesS
(celebrating in 1998 his 10th anniversary as an active member of the
demo-scene!)

Pedro Correia

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

> When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
> Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

i think they had started on C64, i saw some intros (yuck) on my spectrum too.

pjsco...@telepac.pt | Pedro Correia | Realm of Darkness BBS
----------------------- + 351-1-9575245 -----------------------

James Rimmer

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

In article <5gj7vc$i...@ustsu10.ust.hk>,

Chu Siu Hang <eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:
> When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
> Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as
1982. The earliest PC demo I know of dates back to 1987; the Amiga
and C-64 scenes are both older than the PC scene.

The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
typed in...
10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
20 GOTO 10

:)

--
|Jimmy Rimmer Rimbo-Cataclysm/Analogue www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/jrimmer|
|========================================================================|

Kim Robert Blix

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

rol...@knoware.nl (SCouT/SuccesS) once said:

>>eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk (Chu Siu Hang) writes:
>>
>>>Hi all!
>>>

>>> When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
>>> Did Amiga demos started much earlier?
>

>Demo's were born of crack intro's on the Commodore 64.
>Those crack intro's were no more than a graphical signature of the
>guy(s) who cracked the game.
>During the 80's those intro's evolved from a static screen with only
>the name of the cracker, to screens with music+scrolltexts+rasterbars
>into mindblasting demo's.

I remember the first non-static demo on the amiga.. An Razor intro with a
picture and a scroller... Great stuff :)

Kim Robert Blix ( kb...@sn.no & http://home.sn.no/~kblix )

"How do you shoot the devil in the back?"
"What if you miss?" -Verbal Kint

Paul Furber

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

James Rimmer wrote:

> In article <5gj7vc$i...@ustsu10.ust.hk>,
> Chu Siu Hang <eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:
> > When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
> > Did Amiga demos started much earlier?
>
> Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as
> 1982. The earliest PC demo I know of dates back to 1987; the Amiga
> and C-64 scenes are both older than the PC scene.
>
> The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
> typed in...
> 10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
> 20 GOTO 10

Nearly Jim ;-). BASIC was only invented in 1964. The first demo was when
one of the ENIAC programmers realised he could make interesting patterns
in the glowing vaccuum tubes by running different code batches through
it. I believe Charles Simiyoni (ugh can't spell it), code god and
former(?) Microsoft employee has had this experience...
Come to think of it, Lady Lovelace spoke of Charles Babbage's
differential engine "weaving algebraic patterns" sometime in the late
1800s. Good design coming through again?

/maverick

James Rimmer

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

In article <332F0F...@sprintlink.co.za>,

Paul Furber <pa...@sprintlink.co.za> wrote:
>> The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
>> typed in...
>> 10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
>> 20 GOTO 10
>Nearly Jim ;-). BASIC was only invented in 1964. The first demo was when

Yeah, I knew it wasn't it BASIC...ENIAC was programmed totally by hand
of course (or did they have punched cards by then?). I did -not- know
about the patterns in the vacuum tubes, though...

>Come to think of it, Lady Lovelace spoke of Charles Babbage's
>differential engine "weaving algebraic patterns" sometime in the late
>1800s. Good design coming through again?

I'd believe it. But then, what about theoretical demos? What about
the first time somebody held a glistening metal cube up to the light
and went, "wow, look at the nifty phong shading on that thing from the
sun..."

:) eahehaeheaheah

--
|Jimmy Rimmer Rimbo-Cataclysm/Analogue www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/jrimmer|

|=========================================================================|
|"If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn."|

Lance Kalzus

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

James Rimmer (jri...@cs.ucsd.edu) wrote:
: In article <5gj7vc$i...@ustsu10.ust.hk>,
: Chu Siu Hang <eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:
: > When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
: > Did Amiga demos started much earlier?
:
: Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as

TI-99/4A?? THAT old thing?? I remember writing several BASIC programs
that ran out of memory :) (16K onboard, you needed a 32K extension box AND
a cartridge version of their "Extended BASIC" or the mini-assembler to use
the extra memory)

--
Just another lamer in the soup,
Lance Kalzus

Markus Aurala

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Paul Furber wrote:

> > The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
> > typed in...
> > 10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
> > 20 GOTO 10
>
> Nearly Jim ;-). BASIC was only invented in 1964. The first demo was when

> one of the ENIAC programmers realised he could make interesting patterns
> in the glowing vaccuum tubes by running different code batches through
> it. I believe Charles Simiyoni (ugh can't spell it), code god and
> former(?) Microsoft employee has had this experience...
>

> Come to think of it, Lady Lovelace spoke of Charles Babbage's
> differential engine "weaving algebraic patterns" sometime in the late
> 1800s. Good design coming through again?

In the early 1800's actually, wiseguy... :)

--
Markus "Markus Aurala" Aurala
Abduction'97 Main Organizer tai j...

AURoRA /DVT/E-

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

>:
>: Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as
>
>TI-99/4A?? THAT old thing?? I remember writing several BASIC programs
>that ran out of memory :) (16K onboard, you needed a 32K extension box AND
>a cartridge version of their "Extended BASIC" or the mini-assembler to use
>the extra memory)

Hey,... demos on the good old TI-99? I've never seen one, but i think it must
be possible :)... btw. any other people here which had/have a TI-99/4A? Greets
to them all!!

Bye
<-AURoRA of Devotion
(aur...@fh-rosenheim.de)

Sami I Saarnio

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Chu Siu Hang <eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:
> Hi all!

> When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
> Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

somewhere in '85 approx. first there was just intros.
newcomers - study some history. everything started from crack-intros,
but you knew that already so I should just shut up.

Grab a c64-emulator and check something.

- nutcase

James Rimmer

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

In article <5goc6p$hmd$2...@news.nyu.edu>,
Lance Kalzus <kal...@b48-174.datanet.nyu.edu> wrote:

>James Rimmer (jri...@cs.ucsd.edu) wrote:
>: Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as

>TI-99/4A?? THAT old thing?? I remember writing several BASIC programs
>that ran out of memory :) (16K onboard, you needed a 32K extension box AND
>a cartridge version of their "Extended BASIC" or the mini-assembler to use
>the extra memory)

Bingo. I had the expanded memory and all that...although the stuff I
did wasn't worth bragging about and was all in BASIC. The stuff I
enjoyed...one bit in particular...was done in Assembly language, I
think. I don't know, it could have been in BASIC. One of them drew
stuff in cursive and played Axel F...and did a Damned good job of it,
even getting the delay/echo right.

I think that the TI had the same (or similar) sound chip to what the
C-64 had, but I think there were hardware/OS layers -- not to mention
the relative unpopularity of the machine -- so that the awesome stuff
done with the Commode's sound system was never really attempted on it,
but when people tried...that puppy could sing.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, back in the good ole days. At least the TI had a disk
drive that didn't take 5 minutes to load in your favorite game. :)

Sami I Saarnio

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

James Rimmer <jri...@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> In article <5gj7vc$i...@ustsu10.ust.hk>,
> Chu Siu Hang <eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:
> > When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
> > Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

> Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as

> 1982. The earliest PC demo I know of dates back to 1987; the Amiga
> and C-64 scenes are both older than the PC scene.

> The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and

> typed in...
> 10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
> 20 GOTO 10

> :)

HEHEHE :) good one. He had to use wires to program and got some text
out of a typewriter :)

Kim Robert Blix

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

jri...@cs.ucsd.edu (James Rimmer) once said:

>The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
>typed in...
>10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
>20 GOTO 10

Ha! I always used a cooler version, like this:
10 PRINT "I am "
12 PRINT "I am the"
17 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
20 GOTO 10

Even greater effect :)

Jim Leonard

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

In article <332eb54b...@news.sn.no>, Kim Robert Blix <kb...@sn.no> wrote:
>jri...@cs.ucsd.edu (James Rimmer) once said:
>
>>The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
>>typed in...
>>10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
>>20 GOTO 10
>
>Ha! I always used a cooler version, like this:
>10 PRINT "I am "
>12 PRINT "I am the"
>17 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
>20 GOTO 10

Or how about the first scroller on Apple Basic:

10 ? "I ROCK! ";
15 REM EXACTLY 40 CHARACTERS BETWEEN QUOTES
20 GOTO 10

Heh, try it and see. Quotes should line up when line wraps.
--
Jim Leonard (Trixter / Hornet) Email: tri...@mcs.com
Need video clips for your web pages? Visit http://www.mcs.net/~trixter/tott

Jim Leonard

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

In article <5grhr6$qqv$1...@news.mbnet.fi>,

Jukka O Kauppinen <juk...@dns.mikrobitti.fi> wrote:
>: When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
>: Did Amiga demos started much earlier?
>
>Oh, my. Say, we Byterapers made our first demo in 1987 in C-64.
>And we weren't even in the first wave. Demos started originally
>in Apple II platform, way way back ago.

Really? Well, I've got a cracktro or two from 1984, but they're
just scrollers, nothing amazing. Was there ever a real *demo*,
per se?

I heard there was an Apple ][gs demo in 1985 or 1986, but I've
never seen it.

Jim Leonard

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

In article <5gpj3r$k...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu>,

James Rimmer <jri...@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>In article <5goc6p$hmd$2...@news.nyu.edu>,
>Lance Kalzus <kal...@b48-174.datanet.nyu.edu> wrote:
>>James Rimmer (jri...@cs.ucsd.edu) wrote:
>>: Well, I remember seeing and making demos on my TI-99/4a as early as
>
>>TI-99/4A?? THAT old thing?? I remember writing several BASIC programs
>>that ran out of memory :) (16K onboard, you needed a 32K extension box AND
>>a cartridge version of their "Extended BASIC" or the mini-assembler to use
>>the extra memory)
>
>Bingo. I had the expanded memory and all that...although the stuff I
>did wasn't worth bragging about and was all in BASIC. The stuff I
>enjoyed...one bit in particular...was done in Assembly language, I
>think. I don't know, it could have been in BASIC. One of them drew
>stuff in cursive and played Axel F...and did a Damned good job of it,
>even getting the delay/echo right.

Uh, that must've been 1984, not 1982.

Pickin' nits...

Jukka O Kauppinen

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97
to eg_c...@uxmail.ust.hk

: When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
: Did Amiga demos started much earlier?

Oh, my. Say, we Byterapers made our first demo in 1987 in C-64.
And we weren't even in the first wave. Demos started originally
in Apple II platform, way way back ago.

grendel/byterapers

--
Jukka O. Kauppinen Mail: PL 64, 00381 HELSINKI, FINLAND
Journalist E-Mail: juk...@mikrobitti.fi

Ian Schmidt

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

In article <5gs67m$q38$1...@Mercury.mcs.net>, Jim Leonard <tri...@MCS.COM> wrote:
>In article <5grhr6$qqv$1...@news.mbnet.fi>,
>Jukka O Kauppinen <juk...@dns.mikrobitti.fi> wrote:
>>: When did the first demo appear? Was the first scene Assembly '92?
>>: Did Amiga demos started much earlier?
>>
>>Oh, my. Say, we Byterapers made our first demo in 1987 in C-64.
>>And we weren't even in the first wave. Demos started originally
>>in Apple II platform, way way back ago.
>
>Really? Well, I've got a cracktro or two from 1984, but they're
>just scrollers, nothing amazing. Was there ever a real *demo*,
>per se?
>
>I heard there was an Apple ][gs demo in 1985 or 1986, but I've
>never seen it.

Not true. Demo stuff (at least what we'd now consider intros/demos) started
on the IIgs in 1988 or so, when a guy by the handle of Mr. Z released a crack
page for, uhh, I'm thinking it was Epyx's "Impossible Mission 2" with overscan
effects. Some intros followed, and the first full-size IIgs demo (Nucleus
by FTA, complete with stolen Amiga MODs, 3d starfields, and vector-ball
objects) was released August 4, 1989.

As an aside, having seen starfields and vectorballs with techno music on a
2.6 mHz 65816 really kinda spoiled most of the PC demos at the time for me :)
Wasn't til Second Reality that I started to get impressed. Now I'm just
waiting for something to top "Toasted". Times change :)

---
Ian Schmidt
irs...@iag.net
Play Apple IIgs SoundSmith songs on DOS+GUS or Win95+DirectX3 with MTP!
http://www.iag.net/~irsman/warez.html

Zorlim (Sami Lehtinen)

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:23:14 GMT, kb...@sn.no (Kim Robert Blix) wrote:

>jri...@cs.ucsd.edu (James Rimmer) once said:
>
>>The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
>>typed in...
>>10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
>>20 GOTO 10
>
>Ha! I always used a cooler version, like this:
>10 PRINT "I am "
>12 PRINT "I am the"
>17 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
>20 GOTO 10
>

>Even greater effect :)

Real elites do something like this..

10 X$=" I'm am the greatest! "
20 for I = 1 to 79-LEN(X$)-1
30 locate I,14
35 color rnd(16),0
40 print X$
50 next
60 for I = 79-len(x$)-1 to 1
65 color rnd(16),0
70 locate i,14
80 print x$
90 next
100 goto 20

I could also ad randomly changing colors...

So, see? I'm naturally a democoder.. ;)

Wanna see lots of cool stuff made in text mode.. With great desing, but not
much tough engines and that. See VizNut's productions..

http://www.hytti.uku.fi/~vheikkil

- Zorlim / Net Generation (Sami Lehtinen), Helsinki, Finland
- http://www.clinet.fi/~zorlim/ mailto:zor...@mailhost.net
- IRC-Miitti 7.6. Suomenlinnassa http://www.mpoli.fi/~zorlim/irc/

Tero Pulkkinen

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

> >>The first demo ever was probably when some joker sat down at ENIAC and
> >>typed in...
> >>10 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
> >>20 GOTO 10

This is ok.

> >Ha! I always used a cooler version, like this:
> >10 PRINT "I am "
> >12 PRINT "I am the"
> >17 PRINT "I am the greatest!"
> >20 GOTO 10

This too.

> Real elites do something like this..
>
> 10 X$=" I'm am the greatest! "
> 20 for I = 1 to 79-LEN(X$)-1
> 30 locate I,14
> 35 color rnd(16),0
> 40 print X$
> 50 next
> 60 for I = 79-len(x$)-1 to 1
> 65 color rnd(16),0
> 70 locate i,14
> 80 print x$
> 90 next
> 100 goto 20

This certainly is NOT ok.
1) only works with one basic interpreter/compiler. (locate is not basic)
2) it looks ugly :)

> So, see? I'm naturally a democoder.. ;)

If that means that you only can do nonportable bad code, then I agree :)

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- te...@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --

SCouT/SuccesS

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

irs...@iag.net (Ian Schmidt) wrote:

>Not true. Demo stuff (at least what we'd now consider intros/demos) started
>on the IIgs in 1988 or so

Hallelujaaaaaaaaaah!!!

The Demoscene DID start on the C-64!!!!

Mzzl,
SCouT/SuccesS

David Andrew Ross

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

Jim Leonard (tri...@MCS.COM) wrote:

: I heard there was an Apple ][gs demo in 1985 or 1986, but I've
: never seen it.

Yup, a group called the FTA did some really amazing stuff on the GS
around this time. Actually, 85/86 seems a tad bit early for their big
creations (Nucleus, Modulae, "the XMAS Demo"), but I know there were a lot
of disks floating around with collections of "intros" on them from various
groups around that time. Modulae is really very impressive, much more so
I believe than any PC production I've seen since SR. One really
interesting thing was that the FTA was way into a "No Tools!" philosophy.
Back then it wasn't demos vs. Windows, but demos vs. GS/OS. =)

--
David Ross
dr...@pobox.com

Zorlim (Sami Lehtinen)

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

On 21 Mar 1997 16:52:46 +0200, p15...@zori.cs.tut.fi (Tero Pulkkinen) wrote:

>> 10 X¤=" I'm am the greatest! "
>> 20 for I = 1 to 79-LEN(X¤)-1

>> 30 locate I,14
>> 35 color rnd(16),0

>> 40 print X¤
>> 50 next
>> 60 for I = 79-len(x¤)-1 to 1

>> 65 color rnd(16),0
>> 70 locate i,14

>> 80 print x¤

>> 90 next
>> 100 goto 20
>
>This certainly is NOT ok.
>1) only works with one basic interpreter/compiler. (locate is not basic)
>2) it looks ugly :)

Not basic? It worked with my FP2000 (casio A4 sized computer with LCD display
about 8yrs a go.) And it works with qbasic, gwbasic, turbo basic. And almost
all basics made later. Maybe I should use also LET command which were used when
assigning variables with very first basics.

The book which I used to remind me about basic is "The Beginners Computer
Handbook" printed in england 1983.

Yep, and I were really reading that book then , and wrote most of those
programs to my comp too.

>> So, see? I'm naturally a democoder.. ;)
>
>If that means that you only can do nonportable bad code, then I agree :)

Hmm, can you show me few demos with portable code? Maybe Quake & Doom, yep, but
they aren't demos.