Qonos,

concrete_jungle

Dec 14, 2005, 1:33:54 AM12/14/05
oh boy another years has gone by no Qonos,.... any idea what is
happening

Jean-Yves Avenard

Dec 14, 2005, 2:37:19 AM12/14/05
concrete_jungle wrote:
> oh boy another years has gone by no Qonos,.... any idea what is
> happening

Hello

maybe it is time for me to give some news.

At that stage QonoS is indefinitely on hold. There are several reasons
for this:
1-Financing was always going to be an issue, and the activity of Hydrix
with other businesses meant it couldn't dedicate sufficient time to look
actively for investors
2-Intel has made the PXA-26x obsolete in October. We have a QonoS
working with the PXA-255 (the one tested on hpcalc.org) but the
performance aren't as good as the 26x

I may put a few prototypes on sale on ebay ... just for the pleasure of
distributing it anyway

Regards
Jean-Yves

Han

Dec 14, 2005, 7:15:47 AM12/14/05
What about getting HP to finance it? =)

timwe...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2005, 7:36:04 AM12/14/05
Han wrote:
> What about getting HP to finance it? =)

Does the phrase "selling your firstborn" mean anything where you are
from. . . ;-)

TW

Damir

Dec 14, 2005, 8:07:01 AM12/14/05
On 13 Dec 2005 22:33:54 -0800, "concrete_jungle"
<tran...@softhome.net> wrote:

> oh boy another years has gone by no Qonos,.... any idea what is
>happening

Nothing.
And it will be for ewer.

Brother-Peter

Dec 14, 2005, 9:51:38 AM12/14/05
http://www.intel.com/design/pca/prodbref/253820.htm
PXA-27x
Naah...Intel consumes too much power
http://www.arc.com/configurablecores/arc700/750.html
with MMU you can have full Linux on board
What do you think, Jean-Yves?!

"Jean-Yves Avenard" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

stefanmo_hp48

Dec 14, 2005, 11:15:08 AM12/14/05
It's a sad day...
This should't be happening!

Is there a small chance that you distribute the building plans of the
Qonos on the internet?

Han

Dec 14, 2005, 11:45:20 AM12/14/05
To be selfish, I'd rather see the source of MetaKernel 2.30. Building a
kernel from the ground up is a pain in the rear! I doubt this will
ever be seen, though, since it's part of the HP49 series calculators,
and there are probably some licensing issues to say the least.

As for Qonos, I'd rather they keep hope alive and maybe in the near
future someone will finance the project.

Han

MSCHAEF.COM

Dec 14, 2005, 2:46:33 PM12/14/05
In article <40a0dhF...@individual.net>,

Jean-Yves Avenard <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>concrete_jungle wrote:
>> oh boy another years has gone by no Qonos,.... any idea what is
>> happening
>>
>Hello
>
>maybe it is time for me to give some news.
>
>At that stage QonoS is indefinitely on hold.

This is too bad, and a loss for the community.

(Although maybe this is not too suprising in the age of $500 laptops.
Adjusted for inflation, that's about what a 48SX cost in 1989.)

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

concrete_jungle

Dec 15, 2005, 12:11:28 AM12/15/05
please let me know...I do anything to buy one of those model. do you
know when will the auction be listed?

duenod...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2005, 10:25:22 AM12/16/05
So Good Bye Qonos !

Daniel

johnet123

Dec 16, 2005, 10:44:07 AM12/16/05
Sadly, Qonos, which appeared to be a cutting edge PDA and or
calculator, never made it to the retail market. One has to wonder if it
had become a viable retail product if it would have spurred HP and TI
to introduce products that are better than their current offering.
Unfortunately, we will never know.

To the design team who conceived and made the Qonos prototype, I say
bravo. Although I will never have one, for awhile I had I had a dream
in which Qonos, new and improved HP and TI calculators were coexisting
and all was well with the world. Well, I guess I will put down my
crack-pipe and get on with the business of the day.

C J Southern

Dec 16, 2005, 7:08:36 PM12/16/05

"Jean-Yves Avenard" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> concrete_jungle wrote:

> I may put a few prototypes on sale on ebay ... just for the pleasure of
> distributing it anyway

Be sure to let us all know when you do! - you'll get my bid

John H Meyers

Dec 16, 2005, 8:24:44 PM12/16/05
If Qonos was going to so well impersonate
both a TI and an HP calculator,
was there ever any legal sort of roadblock
anticipated from those big guys,
like the "look and feel" suits once thrown at MS
for making Windows do Apple-like things?
(or was it the other way around?)

Some folks here, years back, once made
electronic "Monty plays Monopoly/Scrabble" games,
and they had to avoid even supplying any copy
of the game boards to escape some such trouble
from the games' copyright owners.

[r->] [OFF}

John H Meyers

Dec 16, 2005, 9:15:06 PM12/16/05

BobLogan

Dec 17, 2005, 1:49:24 AM12/17/05
Wow, it's been a while since I posted on this group.

This is sad news. I was really looking forward to Qonos, and it's a shame
that things didn't work out as planned...

Bob

Mark Kolesar

Dec 17, 2005, 10:43:45 AM12/17/05

What's the big problem? If this machine has actually been prototyped,
and if a sufficient quantity of people are actually interested, then
allow them to preorder. Of course the money could not be realized until
product is shipped, put it in escrow or simply pre-qualify credit card
validity and use as collateral for the manufacturer.

This would obviously require trust all the way around, but I suspect if
the demand is there for a "real" product it's doable. Perhaps the
problem is that there is not actually sufficient demand?

MK

Raymond Del Tondo

Dec 17, 2005, 5:37:22 PM12/17/05

"Mark Kolesar" <mark@none> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> [..]

> This would obviously require trust all the way around, but I suspect if
> the demand is there for a "real" product it's doable. Perhaps the problem
> is that there is not actually sufficient demand?

I don't think it's the latter reason;-)

Raymond

Igor The Terrible

Dec 19, 2005, 6:28:53 PM12/19/05
Personally, I think the Qonos is a terrific idea...but there is a small
problem. Who cares if it emulates the HP and TI flagship calcs??? If
you like one or the other then use it and have a Palm handy for your
PDA needs. At this juncture, wouldn't it be more practical in being
able to work with the software you run on your desktop or notebook and
do so more easily and productively? Autodesk, Intergraph, Wolfram
Research, ESRI, etc...??? It would seem to make more sense to me.
Besides, why continue alliances with HP or TI? Especially HP after
they dumped their calculator business? I say piss on them!!! Hydrix
should be looking at Sun Microsystems, Microsoft, Redhat and other
software companies for investment and support.

Since it has sufficient raw processing power, how about a pocket
Mathematica or Maple with its own unique OS and GUI?

Then add features like WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and USB connectivity
(possibly a universal interface for all GMS and/or CDMA cell phones?),
e-mail, ftp and browser capabilities, a planner, word processor,
spreadsheet, and a scaled down RDBM, ports for devices such as GPSs,
T&M equipment, sensors, etc...

If they were out to develop something along those lines, I think
companies like AMD, Trimble, GE, Fluke, IBM etc....would be throwing
money at them!!!

Douglas Gray

Dec 19, 2005, 10:30:50 PM12/19/05
Just a thought I have a pocketPC with an arm prossesor and an hp48 emulator,
maybe quonos could take the direction of improving the hp48/49 emulator for
Pocket PC (bigger display) with maybe a case with built in bluetooth/irda
interface HP48/49 customized keyboard and a holder for the pocket pc (the
keyboard could be flipped open doubling to protect the pocket pc)

Just a thought
"concrete_jungle" <tran...@softhome.net> wrote in message

Brother-Peter

Dec 20, 2005, 1:54:45 AM12/20/05
Nice going Igor!

I would like to see a calculator that uses ARC CPU @ 533MHz
and enough Flash + RAM to have a full Linux (Sources on CFII HD)
Using RPL2 and Parisse's xcas one could make a similar
but not backwards compatible system
I would prefere HP-200LX keyboard and layout

"Igor The Terrible" <igor_the...@mad.scientist.com> wrote in message

Raymond Del Tondo

Dec 20, 2005, 3:34:54 AM12/20/05

"Brother-Peter" <DROP...@dlc.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Nice going Igor!
>
> I would like to see a calculator that uses ARC CPU @ 533MHz
> and enough Flash + RAM to have a full Linux (Sources on CFII HD)
> Using RPL2 and Parisse's xcas one could make a similar
> but not backwards compatible system
> I would prefere HP-200LX keyboard and layout

Why not just use a 200LX with Derive?
At least this is a machine that really works,
and actually exists;-)

Raymond

reth

Dec 20, 2005, 5:32:11 AM12/20/05
where do you get that "derive" prog?
cheers
reth

Raymond Del Tondo

Dec 20, 2005, 6:28:33 AM12/20/05

there was a ROM card for the 95LX with Derive on it,
which was a special version adapted for the 95LX display.

For more info on DERIVE check the links below:

http://www.chartwellyorke.com/drvindex.html

http://www.chartwellyorke.com/dfdind.html

http://www.chartwellyorke.com/dfdmajor.html

I also had a RAM-based version of Derive,
but I'm not sure if I still have it.

Regards

Raymond

"reth" <re...@abv.bg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Message has been deleted

Teddy Chiang

Dec 20, 2005, 6:51:04 AM12/20/05
If Qonos is a big investment for producer. I suggest to develop a
USB calculator keyboard for PC or PDA. That would be more
felxible and cheaper. One who want to use this calculator only
need to connect the keyboard to his compulter or PDA.

Brother-Peter

Dec 20, 2005, 8:08:13 AM12/20/05
"Teddy Chiang" <tedchi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Then you can steal the software and use it on any PDA
It's better to have something special like using this:
http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?language=english&type=article&article_id=218392010
or
http://www.prism.washington.edu/lc/CLWEBCLB/electpaper.html
as the keyboard label
then shift or ALPHA could change the whole keyboard

Igor The Terrible

Dec 20, 2005, 8:08:38 AM12/20/05

Exactly!!!! OR...if carrying a keyboard is too cumbersome, use a
vurtual keyboard.

Any kind of portable device should be able to seamlessly port to the
computing platform you work from.

manjo

Dec 20, 2005, 9:22:52 AM12/20/05
Hello,

Alhough i was not a huge fan of Qonos (simply because i consider 49G+ to be
perfect platform)
-room for improovements (both software and hardware)
-oportunity do develop parallel alternative OS-es for it

I belive Qonos was concieved to become a unique device with wide range of
use and features.
The main challeng in Qonos is exactly that -equilibrium between:
-fetaures
-hardware
-software
-quality and
-price

of course Qonos software could be adapted for most other popular platforms,
even 49G+ itself,

BUT
it won't be the complete product, i belive only complete product would
satisfy creative persons like: Jean-Yves
othervize deep down in the bottm of every heart (especialy JYA's)
-things would be missing: like quality keyboard, connectivity, case design
etc..

BUT
since Qonos is in stage most closely defined as: terminated, maybe he
would/could consider to develop tools, ideas,
upgrades for 49G+, from what i gathered build83 has his fingers in it, i
bleive thats exactly what is going on right now :-)

To conclude:
Even if Qonos never sees the light of day,
it can not be considered as a failure, the essence of it will be in various
devices JYA will work on, i bet
knowledge gathered while working on Qonos matured his concepts, and helped
to fix varios issues.

(my thoughts)
manjo

"Igor The Terrible" <igor_the...@mad.scientist.com> wrote in message

Teddy Chiang

Dec 20, 2005, 9:47:48 AM12/20/05

manjo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Alhough i was not a huge fan of Qonos (simply because i consider 49G+ to be
> perfect platform)

I just need (ask for) a reliable and durable keyboard on 49g+.

manjo

Dec 20, 2005, 3:21:16 PM12/20/05
> I just need (ask for) a reliable and durable keyboard on 49g+.

Of course we all do, especialy now when firmware is getting better by each
new release.

I'm sure of following:
if HP sees indications that calculators are still profitable they will make
entirely new keyboard better than ever before
i belive we can count on that !!!

what we can do as users is: to support the platform, to support Cyrille and
the crew so they see they work is needed and apreciated !

so my "hip hip" goes to Cyrille and Jean-Yves ... "hurray !!!"
manjo

reth

Dec 21, 2005, 3:41:45 AM12/21/05
thanks, Raymond
cheers,
reth

Teddy Chiang

Dec 21, 2005, 7:38:16 AM12/21/05
Either ROM1.23 or ROM2.0 build83 is good enough for me. Maybe there're
a few bugs. But they are only small problems compare with broken keys.
I'm not a expert. I even don't know any bug on 49g+. (except
occasionally
crash with the Filer)

Thanks for the people who work hard for fix the bugs. I wish the
keyboard
quality could match the software.

John H Meyers

Dec 21, 2005, 9:29:09 PM12/21/05
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 06:38:16 -0600, Teddy Chiang wrote:

> I even don't know any bug on 49g+

> (except occasionally crash with the Filer)

Which filer? The built-in filer, or FILER6?

If only an external filer produces the problem,
then perhaps don't use it for a while.

With "ROM2.0 build83"
don't copy the first object in HOME to port 2, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/ca4c9bd060c887da

[r->] [OFF]