Trying again with a G+...

m...@here.there

May 12, 2006, 4:15:58 AM5/12/06
Hi All,

I decided yesterday that I would give the 49G+ another try. My original
two (bought one, the next was a warranty replacement) were both CN334
serials and as such had the most horrible problems. For the past year I
have been using a TI84+SE with mixed success.

Having been without a 49 for the past year, I popped in to my "local"
dealer while I was passing and they had a CNA534 machine in with the new
keyboard. I gave it a go in the shop and it seems much improved, so I
bought it!

Now, having payed with it last night, upgraded the ROM from 2.00 to
2.06G and had a bit of a play, I am now quite convinced that the machine
is functioning as I would expect. The later keyboard is most definitely
an improvement and if I am not very much mistaken there seems to have
been some improvements to the display too.

I *think* I may be "there" now!

Tra

Meh.

PS: anyone wanna buy a TI84+SE in excellent condition?

PPS: I've also got an HP41CV with X-functions and two X-memory
modules...anyone interested?

m...@here.there

May 16, 2006, 5:15:37 AM5/16/06
Actually, I am finding that these later-serial g+ units are rather
good...had a long weekend working with mine and all of the issues I
originally had seem to have been sorted.

I'm happy that HP have finally got this unit sorted!

Tra

Meh.

Nobody

May 17, 2006, 11:47:11 AM5/17/06
How about providing a real email address so I can contact you direct.
I am interested in both calculators.

joe.fo...@gmail.com

May 20, 2006, 12:20:44 PM5/20/06
I'm glad to hear that some people are finding joy with the new
revisions of the 49G+. But for me it's just too late: I don't think I
can forgive HP for the quality of the 49G+ (I don't have mine with me,
so I can't report the serial #, but it was not one of the original
releases, and I had high hopes it would be OK). It would miss about 1
keystroke in 20 and After 2 years of very light use, the "2" button is
coming loose! I just can't get over how poorly constructed this product
is compared with my 20 year old calculator that it replaced (HP-42S,
still as "beautiful" as the day I bought it after years of abuse in
college). Like many, I was duped by my irrational nostalgia for the old
HP quality. Even if current issue calculators appear to work now, I'd
almost be willing to bet that something will break on them within a
year or two of slight to moderate use. I think my next calculator will
have to be a TI :(. Then again, maybe I will just make do with my 42S
for another 20 years.

duenod...@gmail.com

May 21, 2006, 8:42:26 AM5/21/06
I have mine since Dec 2003 CN333... series, has process not less than 5
thousand forest-tree records (some key mistakes but I think was my
fault), not less than 10 thousand GPS points, over 25 farm maps,
hundreds of photos, has must of my everyday consulting documents,
telephones, notes, take it with me EVERYWHERE, of course it has had
VERY HEAVY WORK with a VERY LOW BATTERY COMSUMPTION, and is loosing the
paint in number 5, the golden paint is now like light brown, loose the
rubber base spots in the back, but the display look VERY GOOD, with
some little scratches here and there, but NOT IN THE DISPLAY COVER,
hmm......

What a machine !, has never had something like this !

Daniel

Message has been deleted

joe.fo...@gmail.com

May 21, 2006, 10:13:39 AM5/21/06
Wow: You must be very lucky! This almost sounds like astroturf. I wish
my experience was close to half as good!

Listerine

May 21, 2006, 5:30:51 PM5/21/06
I had the typical experience with my 49G+ CN33x and CN43X. The black
band broke within 2 weeks of use. JB Weld and a black sharpie marker
resorted that design defect. It wasn't until the 2 key broke while in a
phone conversation and doing calculations (I guess that affected my key
press technique) that I became disillusioned. While a band aid will keep
the key in place, I decided to try the TI89 Titanium.

Unfortunately, I have been a HP users since the early 80's primarily
because of TI's earlier crummy keyboards on their 58C. As it stands,
I'll probably keep using a HP49 emulator on a desktop computer. A pocket
pc with that emulator might work. I'll keep tinkering with the TI89, but
I am more comfortable with postfix.

If the reports are confirmed that HP has fixed their keyboard (for the
last time) and it becomes available, I'll probably get my third 49G+.
Who would have thought that something understood 25 years ago would come
back to be a problem? Of course, HP is not the HP of 25 years ago. They
should have spun off their calculator group like they did with Agilent
test equipment.

Stan

joe.fo...@gmail.com wrote in news:1148220819.004270.178140
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Tom Lake

May 22, 2006, 8:05:20 AM5/22/06
> I'll probably keep using a HP49 emulator on a desktop computer. A pocket
> pc with that emulator might work. I'll keep tinkering with the TI89, but
> I am more comfortable with postfix.

Try here. It's a good RPN program for the 89.

http://www.paxm.org/symbulator/download/rpn.html

Tom Lake

Meh.

May 23, 2006, 3:50:18 AM5/23/06