HP drowned - any chance of revival?

Jaakko Kotimäki

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
My friend met with an unfortunate accident: an orangejuicecan broke in his bag
"drowning" his HP48GX. After some cleaning and drying the HP just won't turn on.

Can one do anything to revive the calc, like opening and cleaning it, or is it
a goner?

---

Jaakko Slogans like "Free your mind" can only mean:
jkot...@cc.hut.fi "Turn your MTV off and live" - KMFDM

joe...@usa.net

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Jaako wrote:

> My friend met with an unfortunate accident: an orangejuicecan broke in his bag
> "drowning" his HP48GX. After some cleaning and drying the HP just won't turn
> on.
>
> Can one do anything to revive the calc, like opening and cleaning it, or is it
> a goner?

First, try what everybody else suggests. Their delicate and detailed methods
are obviously better suited to electronics than the following brutal (but
entirely effective) method.

You see, I spilled Coca Cola into a GX, totally ruining it. Every posted
method for reviving it failed. So I finally figured: Hey, it's dead anyhow,
so what have I got to lose by trying good old soap and water?

Here's what I did:

(1) Removed its IR and battery covers (and batts, of course!), so that a
path *through* the machine was accessible.
(2) Took it into the shower with me, and while shampooing my hair (what
little is left of it) I shampooed the GX, and sprayed warm water into it
until it was about half full (!), then shook it up until the water had
turned to a nice rich lather inside the GX. And squooshed lots of lather
into the keyboard, too. (No conditioner!)
(3) Rinsed it out, by spraying LOTS of tepid water down the port slots (and
out the battery compartment) and into the keyboard from all angles.
(4) Repeated 2&3. MANY TIMES.
(5) Final rinse, prolonged precisely until I got bored.
(6) Shook the GX out and smacked it at various angles onto a towel,
until my hand got sore.
(7) Placed it directly in front of a fan (port slots facing the fan; air
exiting through the battery compartment) and left it to dry for a few
hours.

Lo and behold, not only did it work perfectly when the batteries were
re-installed, but it has continued to work perfectly ever since. I know
that this flies in the face of all the posted wisdom, but hell, it worked.

Disclaimer: Only attempt this if your HP48 appears to be totally FUBAR.

-Joe-

Chris Wahlen

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Wow. You put your batteries in backwards and it kills your calculator, but it can
survive being drowned in Coke no problem... =)

Christian Meland

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

joe...@usa.net wrote in article <713n41$bcu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> Jaako wrote:
>
> You see, I spilled Coca Cola into a GX, totally ruining it. Every posted
> method for reviving it failed. So I finally figured: Hey, it's dead
anyhow,
> so what have I got to lose by trying good old soap and water?
>
> Here's what I did:

<long amacing story about how Joe had a *great* time with his gx>

Was the memory still intact, too? ;-)

Christian

joe...@usa.net

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Christian Meland typed:

> Was the memory still intact, too? ;-)

Yes! But its contents had been erased. >:-O

Bruce Horrocks

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
joe...@usa.net wrote:

[original orange juice accident snipped]

> You see, I spilled Coca Cola into a GX, totally ruining it. Every posted
> method for reviving it failed. So I finally figured: Hey, it's dead anyhow,
> so what have I got to lose by trying good old soap and water?

Clearly the old Coca-Cola slogan "Coke adds life" is not true for calcs.

> Here's what I did:
>

> (1) Removed its IR and battery covers (and batts, of course!), so that a
> path *through* the machine was accessible.
> (2) Took it into the shower with me, and while shampooing my hair (what
> little is left of it) I shampooed the GX, and sprayed warm water into it
> until it was about half full (!), then shook it up until the water had
> turned to a nice rich lather inside the GX. And squooshed lots of lather
> into the keyboard, too. (No conditioner!)

Joe! You missed out the most important bit: what brand of shampoo did you use.
Was it "Wash 'n' Go Calculate" by any chance? ;-)

When Rachel from Friends says "Pay attention. Here comes the science bit" on
the shampoo advert, I didn't see her whip out a '48 and calculate the strength
that she has just "washed back in" (tm).Do you think L'Oreal's advertising
agency have missed a trick here?

Will Pepsi sign a marketing deal with TI?

Disclaimer: If your country hasn't or doesn't show the television adverts
implied in this posting then be thankful that US cultural imperialism hasn't
reached you yet. ;-)

Regards,

--
Bruce Horrocks