I can use rechargable batteries on my HP50G

jhusel f

May 5, 2007, 2:22:56 AM5/5/07
Hi everybody it's posible to use rechargable batteries on my
HP50G... If you understand Spanish you can read this
http://www.adictoshp.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6594&forum=13
there are two positions between to use rechargable or AAA batteries
alkalinas...

Regards!!

Mike Bryant

May 5, 2007, 11:42:16 AM5/5/07
On May 4, 11:22 pm, jhusel f <jhuse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody it's posible to use rechargable batteries on my
> HP50G... If you understand Spanish you can read thishttp://www.adictoshp.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6594&fo...

> there are two positions between to use rechargable or AAA batteries
> alkalinas...
>
> Regards!!

Hi!

I've been using NiMH as well as alkaline batteries in my 50g since I
first got it (Sept '06) with the only difference that alkaline's give
you more a little more use with the ((*)) annunciator on. Other than
that, the amount of use seems to be the same.

I tried both just as an experiment just to see if there was any
dramatic difference between them and didn't notice any.

Charles

May 5, 2007, 3:28:07 PM5/5/07

I posed a question concerning the use of rechargable batteries in my
HP- 50G to HP Total Care and received this reply
dated 2 March 2007:

"We do not recommend using batteries other than 1.5 volt AAA batteries
with
your 50G, as it may cause the calculator to malfunction or suffer
circuitry damage."

Bad news for me, but I have decided NOT to use rechargables based on
this recommendation from HP.

Charles A. Huffer

TW

May 5, 2007, 4:37:27 PM5/5/07
> "We do not recommend using batteries other than 1.5 volt AAA batteries
> with
> your 50G, as it may cause the calculator to malfunction or suffer
> circuitry damage."

Load of CRAP!

They just don't want to open themselves up to any legal issues if your
rechargeables leak or anything. You are completely safe using
rechargables in your calc. Only issue is that the power doesn't last
quite as long. I have been using rechargables in my calcs and in all
the data collectors we sell. Probably several hundred thousand hours
of usage and there has never been one reported case of battery issues.

TW

Charles

May 5, 2007, 6:50:07 PM5/5/07

When I have to change my batteries, about every two weeks,
unfortunately, sometimes I have
measured the voltage of the replaced batteries. It usually runs about
1.25 volts. The rechargables
are rated at 1.2 volts. Does the bad battery indicator remain on
continuously with
rechargables?

Thanks for the good news! But if anyone has had problems with
rechargables in the HP-50G, please
post that information for all to see.

Charles A. Huffer

John H Meyers

May 5, 2007, 8:09:52 PM5/5/07
HP:

On Sat, 05 May 2007 15:37:27 -0500, TW wrote:

> They just don't want to open themselves up to any legal issues
> if your rechargeables leak or anything.

My past experience is that Alkalines are more likely to leak
(Ray-O-Vac just happening to be the worst I've ever encountered,
especially their old "rechargeable alkalines," as it happens),
and when those leak, it's very corrosive stuff.

So is HP legally liable for having recommended
alkaline batteries, if those leak?

If so, how long is the Statute of Limitations?
(for my HP48G[X] and HP49s with corroded batt. contacts,
if not yet dead).

Does anyone remember "N" size cells? (for HP28/19B/18C)
There were some 12v batteries of exactly the same size;
did many HP calcs get fried by inadvertent substitutes?

[r->] [OFF]

TW

May 5, 2007, 9:09:19 PM5/5/07
> When I have to change my batteries, about every two weeks,
> unfortunately, sometimes I have
> measured the voltage of the replaced batteries. It usually runs about
> 1.25 volts. The rechargables
> are rated at 1.2 volts. Does the bad battery indicator remain on
> continuously with
> rechargables?

No. They go down quick, remain constant for quite a while, then dip
down and the battery indicator turns on. Once it comes on, you have
less time to change. I generally just run it until it powers itself
off before replacing the batteries. I've never yet lost any memory.

TW

TW

May 5, 2007, 9:10:44 PM5/5/07
> So is HP legally liable for having recommended
> alkaline batteries, if those leak?

I don't know. I just know how lawyers tend to look at things, and if
they can introduce more and more loopholes that can be claimed to
invalidate your warranty. . .

TW

reth

May 5, 2007, 9:31:14 PM5/5/07
On May 6, 10:09 am, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone remember "N" size cells? (for HP28/19B/18C)
> There were some 12v batteries of exactly the same size;
> did many HP calcs get fried by inadvertent substitutes?
>
> [r->] [OFF]

AFAIR "N" size were HP41 batts

Virgil

May 5, 2007, 10:32:57 PM5/5/07
In article <1178415074.7...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
reth <re...@abv.bg> wrote:

They were also the size used in the 28 series (that opened up like
books). They fitted nicely into the inside pocket of a sports coat or
suit jacket, and had some graphing capabilities.

John Doe

May 6, 2007, 7:25:15 AM5/6/07
Virgil grunted:

>> AFAIR "N" size were HP41 batts
>
> They were also the size used in the 28 series (that opened up like
> books). They fitted nicely into the inside pocket of a sports coat or
> suit jacket, and had some graphing capabilities.

Confirmed. I have a 28S here that is out of action merely because I
can't find the batteries easily (I live in central .fr) and can't
afford them when I do find them :(

--
The e-mail address in the From: header of this post is valid.
Add [NANAE] to the Subject: of any correspondence or said

Charles

May 6, 2007, 11:49:06 AM5/6/07

Places to purchase 'N' Cells: www.radioshack.com 1.5 Volt Alkalines,
2-pack $3.99.
Model and Catalog # 23:023
Also, http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage3.htm
Cat. # N-150N. Rechargables, 150 mAh Nicads $2 each.
Many unusual size batteries for sale here.

Charles A. Huffer

John Doe

May 6, 2007, 12:25:48 PM5/6/07
Charles grunted:

> Places to purchase 'N' Cells: www.radioshack.com 1.5 Volt Alkalines,
> 2-pack $3.99.
> Model and Catalog # 23:023
> Also, http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage3.htm
> Cat. # N-150N. Rechargables, 150 mAh Nicads $2 each.
> Many unusual size batteries for sale here.

Thanks, but you obviously missed the bit where I said that I was in
central France. radioshack.com and batteriesamerica.com aren't much use
to me here :(

Virgil

May 6, 2007, 3:55:33 PM5/6/07
In article
<slrnf3reor.a9a.j...@spammers.suck.donkey.balls>,
John Doe <johannes....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Virgil grunted:
>
> >> AFAIR "N" size were HP41 batts
> >
> > They were also the size used in the 28 series (that opened up like
> > books). They fitted nicely into the inside pocket of a sports coat or
> > suit jacket, and had some graphing capabilities.
>
> Confirmed. I have a 28S here that is out of action merely because I
> can't find the batteries easily (I live in central .fr) and can't
> afford them when I do find them :(

Try
http://www.batterywarehousedirect.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=138840

Massimo Santin (at GMail)

May 6, 2007, 6:54:57 PM5/6/07
I found N batteries for my HP-28S in a shop in Italy without any troubles:
3? for 3 batteries (expensive). They were Duracell batteries manifactured in
EU. On the web you can find NiMH elements, too. Look for N or LR1 cells.

Massimo Santin

uod...@gmail.com

May 11, 2007, 3:35:59 AM5/11/07

What about using the calculator with the USB cord plugged in, in order
to not use the batteries??

As I study near the PC, I always connect the USB cable to the calc to
save my batteries. And remains connected for long periods of time.
Could that represent some risk to the calc's circuitry? Is there any
maximum time for a USB connection?

Regards

Joe Horn

May 11, 2007, 4:49:59 AM5/11/07
> What about using the calculator with the USB cord plugged in, in order
> to not use the batteries??

That's wise.

> As I study near the PC, I always connect the USB cable to the calc to
> save my batteries. And remains connected for long periods of time.
> Could that represent some risk to the calc's circuitry?

No. You can even REMOVE all *5* batteries while running off USB power
(although that would sorely tempt Murphy to interfere with your USB
power source!).

> Is there any maximum time for a USB connection?

No. It won't overheat or anything. It's a great feature, isn't it?

-Joe-

uod...@gmail.com

May 11, 2007, 9:27:23 PM5/11/07
Thanks Joe,
Now I feel safer using this method, because I heard some things in my
U, but guess that is just some kind of weird envy from 49g+ owners
haha :)

You're right, using this "battery saving trick" is a very nice thing
indeed!
But, I wouldn't want to tempt old Mr. Murphy, so I don't take out my
batteries while doing this. And although I know that's impossible, I
kinda hope that it might charge my batteries a bit.

While we are at it, I recommend the "Batstatus" prog for checking the
battery life of our calc! Download at hpcalc.org

Regards!

jhusel f

May 12, 2007, 3:49:33 PM5/12/07

Now BatStatus for HP49g+ and HP50g Download -->
http://www.gaak.org/user/percymc/archivos/batstatus20.lib

And thanks everybody for their answers but I think it's confused :-
( there aren't a answer that said me why I can't use rechargable
batteries on my HP50G exactly.

bye

TW

May 12, 2007, 5:44:46 PM5/12/07
> And thanks everybody for their answers but I think it's confused :- (

Not at all. YES you can use rechargeable batteries. They just won't
last as long.

TW

John H Meyers

May 12, 2007, 7:33:32 PM5/12/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:49:33 -0500, jhusel f wrote:

> there isn't an answer that said exactly why [HP told me that]

> I can't use rechargable batteries on my HP50G

Taking a guess (or helping to bail out HP :)

It could be a problem if you could overcharge any batteries
to the extent that the charged voltage
exceeded the tolerable maximum.

This doesn't seem likely with NiMH or NiCd, but
what about alkalines and other new types -- oxyride?

"With an advanced substance for the cathode or negative (-) side,
called oxy nickel hydroxide the batteries maintain higher voltage"
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-oxyride-battery.htm

Did JKH suggest recharging these (even tho not sold as rechargeable)?

"Let the buyer beware"
http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr21pz.cgi?E+BA+3+AAC4007+4++WW
http://industrial.panasonic.com/KM/instructions_E.html

[r->] [OFF]

J.Chen

May 13, 2007, 12:59:48 PM5/13/07
On May 5, 1:22 am, jhusel f <jhuse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody it's posible to use rechargable batteries on my
> HP50G... If you understand Spanish you can read thishttp://www.adictoshp.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6594&fo...

> there are two positions between to use rechargable or AAA batteries
> alkalinas...
>
> Regards!!

the best battery to use are lithium they last long and theyre light as
hell.
(las mejores baterias a usar son las nuevas baterias energizer
lithium, aparte de que duran tambien son las baterias mas livianas en
el mercado)

John H Meyers

May 15, 2007, 6:48:54 AM5/15/07
On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:59:48 -0500:

> the best battery to use are lithium;

> they last long and they're light as hell.

And chewing them may stabilize bipolar disorder :)
["Don't do this at home"]

Since the subject of recharging came up for Nickel OxyHydroxide
(curiously, the same material as in NiCd and NiMH cells),
can "Lithium" AAs be recharged? (without exploding?)

Apparently not, if Lithium Iron Disulphide:
http://www.batterybank.net/digital/master/aalith.html
"Note: These batteries are not rechargeable."
(but they may last much longer, unless it's like below).

Ditto "Oxyride" type, and more interesting info here:
http://www.duracell.com/gna/powerpix/faq.htm

Duracell PowerPix chemistry and cell construction
are designed to release more power to meet the needs of
_extremely_high drain_applications_
such as digital cameras...

What happens if a consumer installs a PowerPix battery
in a device other than digital cameras? While we recommend
that Duracell PowerPix only be used in digital cameras,
The consumer will _not_see_a_performance_advantage_
versus regular or premium alkaline in other devices.

Imagine -- this manufacturer admits there may be
no advantage in lower-drain devices (like calculators),
and recommends not wasting your money!

Even when alkalines were being newly promoted
and compared to older "heavy duty" types,
similar advice (and even charts on retail packages)
indicated that the overall peformance increase factor
was quite a bit less for radios and flashlights
than for powered toys, for example -- which may be why
the "Energizer bunny" is never seen wearing an LED headband :)

Various other news and info:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2006-02-01-battery-test_x.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery