HP49G+ Summation execution time

JT

Oct 1, 2006, 3:37:02 PM10/1/06
Is it just me or has one of the recent updates to the HP49G+ improved
the speed of execution of summations ( using sigma notation )? I've
been using the TI-V200 for summations of user-defined numeric functions
because it was always faster than the HP... now I notice the situation
is reversed - a welcomed surprise!

John H Meyers

Oct 2, 2006, 4:31:02 PM10/2/06
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 14:37:02 -0500, JT wrote:

> Is it just me or has one of the recent updates to the HP49G+ improved
> the speed of execution of summations ( using sigma notation )?

If you formerly specified numbers as integers (without decimal points)
and now are using real numbers (with decimal points, automatically so
when entering expressions in Approximate mode), then it's just you :)

[r->] [OFF]

JT

Oct 3, 2006, 12:11:36 AM10/3/06
The summations involve real numbers and in fact the user-defined
functions used in the summations were the same functions as before the
HP49G+ OS upgrades since they were backed up on the SD card. Modes and
flags are the same since I specify them from a file FLGS in STARTUP.
The V-200 summations are identical and have not changed since they are
archived and backed up.
My assumption was that there was some improvement in the 49G+'s OS
with the upgrades to speed up some operations but I could be mistaken.
I'll double-check execution times using integers instead of real
numbers.
You know, there's the possibility ( but not likely ) that the V-200
is slower now after its upgrade. :-) Either way I'm at a loss to
explain it but am very happy about it anyway! I know the summation
since I've used it a lot and I know it took about 30 sec on the V-200
and longer on the HP49G+. Now I find the HP49G+ finishes that same
summation in about 8 or 9 sec ( using TEVAL ). I've never used any
over-clocking software on the 49G+.
The HP50G is looking nicer and nicer all the time; I've been very
impressed with the improvements made in the OS since I first got the
49G+. I have an early model so I'm careful with the keyboard.

Jean-Yves Avenard

Oct 3, 2006, 1:16:42 AM10/3/06
Hi

JT wrote:
> You know, there's the possibility ( but not likely ) that the V-200
> is slower now after its upgrade. :-) Either way I'm at a loss to
more likely the explanation

in fact the summation has been made slightly slower over the years on
the 49g+ has issues had been fixed.

ROM 2.10 will provide a fix for most of the issues remaining with
summation (such as doing sum of sum). At the expense of speed unfortunately

JY

JT

Oct 3, 2006, 7:32:39 AM10/3/06
Thanks JY... there is one other possibility.
I've only used HP calculators and RPN for a couple years, so
probably it was some fault of mine - not operating the calc correctly.
What I'm finding with HP calculators is that they have many many
tools built-in but it's very easy to misuse them, causing improper
operation ( not the calculator's fault ). With time and practice, these
problems go away as one gets used to HP and RPN and the calculator
begins to work a whole lot better!

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Oct 3, 2006, 7:40:38 AM10/3/06

I hoped that 50G would be a 90MHz calculator
Were there any reasons for not upgrading the run speed?
There is now even an even amount of batteries (one more)
Anywayz
I like a bug fix more than the slight slowing of the speed
Thank you 4 your efforts JYA !
VPN