A few beginner questions for the 49G

Drunken Master

Oct 5, 2003, 10:34:19 PM10/5/03
First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?
Second is there a program or built in feature that allows you to graph
linear inequalities like Y>2X-2. Lastly is there any program to do
linear programing so that the calc gives you the min and max of a
function given the constraints?

Thanxz in Advance

CID

Al Borowski

Oct 5, 2003, 10:49:32 PM10/5/03
Drunken Master wrote:
> First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?

That's a horiziontal line.

I have no idea how to graph vertical lines - why do you need to?

> Second is there a program or built in feature that allows you to graph
> linear inequalities like Y>2X-2.

not that I know of - check HPcalc.org.

> Lastly is there any program to do
> linear programing so that the calc gives you the min and max of a
> function given the constraints?

I have some simple programs at http://alpage.ath.cx/hptute/hpprog.htm.

One of them, CP (Critical Points) should fit the bill. You give it a
function in terms of X and it tells you the critical points, their
values, and type (eg a min or max).

It does not test the limits, but thats easy to do yourself.

> Thanxz in Advance

no probs,

Al

Yoann D?sir

Oct 6, 2003, 2:02:45 AM10/6/03
Hello,

> First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?

Not in the FUNCTION graphing process. You need in my opinion to draw
the graph using the TRUTH or PARAM option. But of course, it can be
drawn on a HP49.

> Second is there a program or built in feature that allows you to graph
> linear inequalities like Y>2X-2.

Yes : the TRUTH plotting type.

> Lastly is there any program to do
> linear programing so that the calc gives you the min and max of a
> function given the constraints?

Well, getting the min and the max of a function is easy : just draw
the fuction, then use the FCN menu icon and EXTR.

Bye,

Yoann.

Bhuvanesh

Oct 6, 2003, 8:14:36 AM10/6/03
yoann...@yahoo.com (Yoann D?sir) wrote:
> Well, getting the min and the max of a function is easy : just draw
> the fuction, then use the FCN menu icon and EXTR.

Does this allow you to enter constraints?

--
Bhuvanesh

Geir Klemetsen

Oct 6, 2003, 10:41:30 AM10/6/03

"Al Borowski" <a.bor...@student.removeme.qut.edu.au> skrev i melding

> Drunken Master wrote:
> > First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?
>
> That's a horiziontal line.
>
> I have no idea how to graph vertical lines - why do you need to?
>

> > Second is there a program or built in feature that allows you to graph
> > linear inequalities like Y>2X-2.
>
> not that I know of - check HPcalc.org.

Just use the puilt-in plotting function of the calc. 1 if the expression is
true and 0 if not.

Bryan

Oct 6, 2003, 3:10:41 PM10/6/03
You can move the cursor close to the extreme you want (min or max), I
usually just put it within ten pixels and it works fine.

Speed

Oct 6, 2003, 4:23:57 PM10/6/03
Al Borowski <a.bor...@student.removeme.qut.edu.au> wrote in message news:<3f80d824$0$23605$5a62...@freenews.iinet.net.au>...

> Drunken Master wrote:
> > First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?
>
> That's a horiziontal line.

Actually, it's a vertical line; X=5 no matter what Y is. Try plotting
it by hand, and you'll see.

The HP won't graph it as a function because technically it isn't a
function. If you convert it to a polar graph, it'll plot it. A polar
plot of 'R1(X)=5/cos(X)' will give you a vertical line going through
where X=5 would normally be (were it not a polar graph).

There's a way to do it as a parametric plot, but I can't remember
off-hand how the 49 wants to see parametric equations. It's got
something to do with complex numbers, but I've never really had to use
it, so I don't know how.

--CS

Aaron Wallace

Oct 6, 2003, 5:25:21 PM10/6/03
Speed wrote:

>Al Borowski <a.bor...@student.removeme.qut.edu.au> wrote in message news:<3f80d824$0$23605$5a62...@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
>

>>>First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?
>>>

>There's a way to do it as a parametric plot, but I can't remember
>off-hand how the 49 wants to see parametric equations. It's got
>something to do with complex numbers, but I've never really had to use
>it, so I don't know how.

You should be able to do a vertical line at x=5 in a parametric plot like:

x: '5'
y: '100*(t-1)
tmin: 0
tmax: 2

How you set up 'y' will be determined by what your t-range is. I dont
know what the default range is, but basically, to see a vertical line,
you have to choose a t-range and / or y expression such that it goes
from y_min to y_max.

Aaron

Drunken Master

Oct 6, 2003, 6:24:25 PM10/6/03
Thanxz the truth plot works work great except for one flaw. It
takes FOREVER to shade in the graph. Can I speed up this process in
any way?

Thanxz,

CID

Drunken Master

Oct 6, 2003, 6:28:49 PM10/6/03
O yeah I forgot to say my step is 5 and I have checked pixels.

Al Borowski

Oct 6, 2003, 11:00:11 PM10/6/03
Craig...@aol.com (Speed) wrote in message news:<55447677.03100...@posting.google.com>...

> Al Borowski <a.bor...@student.removeme.qut.edu.au> wrote in message news:<3f80d824$0$23605$5a62...@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> > Drunken Master wrote:
> > > First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?
> >
> > That's a horiziontal line.
> >
> Actually, it's a vertical line; X=5 no matter what Y is. Try plotting
> it by hand, and you'll see.

oops, you're right. I read that as Y = 5 :-p

cheers,

Al

Sir Al

Oct 12, 2003, 3:33:06 AM10/12/03
Drunken Master wrote:

> First of all how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?

Make a plot of 'Y = 1E499 * (X - U)' where U is the position of the X
coordinate where you want your vertical line, in this case 5.

This does not make for a 'true' vertical line, but it's pretty close if your
Y scale isn't too large. If you want it to a true vertical line, then do
the following:

Make a function plot of ' Y = INFINITY * (X - U)' where U is the position of
the X coordinate of where you want your vertical line.

I believe 1E499 and infinity can both be negative, it shouldn't make a
difference.

Cheers,
Albert

John H Meyers

Oct 14, 2003, 5:32:59 AM10/14/03
Drunken Master wrote:

> how do you graph vertical lines on the 49G like X=5?

After 'PPAR' PURGE:

Try a FUNCTION (default) type plot of '1E499*(X-5)'

FUNCTION '1E499*(X-5)' STEQ ERASE DRAX DRAW PICTURE

Or a PARAMETRIC type plot of '(5,X)'

PARAMETRIC '(5,X)' STEQ ERASE DRAX DRAW PICTURE

Or just draw a LINE:

(5,-3.1) (5,3.2) ERASE DRAX LINE PICTURE

Or, borrow a barometer, tie it to the end of a string,
go to the top of a building, hold the string 5 units away
from the side of the building as you lower the barometer, etc.
http://cns.physics.gatech.edu/~andreas/physicsfun/barometer.html

http://www.mum.edu

.

John H Meyers

Oct 14, 2003, 11:05:39 AM10/14/03
Drunken Master wrote:

> is there a program or built in feature that allows you to graph
> linear inequalities like Y>2X-2.

Faster than a speeding TRUTH plot:

Using the SHADE plotting function:
(perhaps someone can find the equivalent LIBEVAL or FLASHEVAL)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B863B08.2039517%40miu.edu

Using Jim Donnelly's INPLOT program:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B8695A1.3173982D%40miu.edu

"The moon is more useful than the sun,
because the moon shines at night when you want the light,
whereas the sun shines during the day when you don't need it."

My Gran'pa used to tell us almost the same thing:
"You's kin make a heap mo' money sellin' moonshine than sunshine" :)

[r->] [OFF]