Busted Key? One fix from home.

Hank

Jan 18, 2006, 10:29:12 AM1/18/06

One copy out in the open for you.

I spent a morning with an ailing Rockwell 21R
The -7- was rattling in the cutout, (broken Hinge).

I had no adhesive that would permanently bond to the
keyboard-frame material. It is Nylon, I think. Test
droplets of epoxy, silicon, and glue would come right off.

Having cut my finger,(dummy) I was fixing myself, when
the **Band-Aid brand fabric adhesive bandage** fell upon
the keyboard frame and stuck fast. ( I mean it stuck tight.)

I took sissors and cut a width from the end of a new
band-aide, and placed it across the broken hinge point.
With a toothpick, I pressed and burnished the cloth strip
until I felt that I had full, continious contact.

I re-assembled the calculator, and then handed it
to the owner. That was 3 months ago , and the broken
calc lives on her desk, doing it's job, as always.

Some repair attempts do perform wonderfully well.

To Recap:
With sharp sissors, cut a generous width of
Band-Aid brand cloth adhesive bandage. Apply,
Press, and Burnish the cloth strip well.

Cheers.

jackl...@sbcglobal.net

Feb 1, 2006, 3:54:17 PM2/1/06
How do you take the top of calculator apart ? What do you attach the
bandaid to ? I am new to this site, and new to shoddy workmanship of HP
products. My 42s has been problem free in 3 continents and decade and
half, but the 49g+ has two wobbly keys, in less than 8 weeks. I bought
it to take the Praxis exams. Maybe i should sell all my HP, and go to
the TI89. In any event, any help would be appreciated. cheers, jack

nico

Feb 2, 2006, 1:24:44 PM2/2/06
Hank:

Thanks for the tip. ¿Can you post detailed instructions on how to
disassemble the calc without damaging it? I believe many people would
benefit from that. I have two 49g+, mine with backspace and dot keys
broken (and many others near dead too) and my father's with backspace
broken. The calcs were bought in USA and hp has no support in
Uruguay...

Thanks a lot,
Nicolás
Missing the 15c keyboard...

Stan DeHaven

Feb 24, 2006, 11:25:47 PM2/24/06
"nico" <nicolas...@gmail.com> wrote in news:1138904683.982082.124790
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

HP49g+ broken keyboard fix details:

Tools: 1 pair of scissors, tooth pick or 5mm pentel pencil, Band-Aid
brand clear comfort-flex bandages, razor blade, palm pilot stylus (or
similar smooth tool)

Technique:

1. Cut a broken key width strip of the adhesive bandage.

2. Peel the adhesive backing portion off the cut strip. This is
important, because if you leave the backing on after this step it will be
very difficult to remvove.

3. Cut the exposed adhesive strip to a length greater than expected
(about 2cm).

4. Place the uncut end of the strip in the space between the broken key
and the key below it.

5. The key needs to be repositioned to it's "unbroken" configuration,
which is probably not going to happen on the first attempt. As such,
align the key to match one which has not yet broken.

6. Using the tooth pick or pencil tip (with lead retracted), smooth the
band-aid over the keyboard overlay and the key.

7. Test the key operation. Most likey, the strip at the bottom attached
to the keyboard overlay will need to be peeled back, the key realigned
and the strip laid back onto the keyboard overlay. Retest the key and
repeat as necessary.

8. Final smoothing of the tape on the key and keyboard overlay can be
done with a palm pilot stylus (or similar tool) and the tape remaining
trimmed away with a razor blade.

I broke this down pretty far, but it's not too difficult of a job. The
key feels pretty much the same as before it broke, the overlay symbols
are visible, and the band aid may well out last the calculator.
Disassembly of the calculator is not recommended to fix the keyboard
loose keys (I already tried that).

Have Fun,

Stan

p.s. I now understand why Ebay has older HP calculators at rediculous
prices.

Stefano Priore

Feb 25, 2006, 9:39:33 AM2/25/06
Stan DeHaven wrote:

> HP49g+ broken keyboard fix details:
>
> Tools: 1 pair of scissors, tooth pick or 5mm pentel pencil, Band-Aid
> brand clear comfort-flex bandages, razor blade, palm pilot stylus (or
> similar smooth tool)

Can you post some photos?

--
Stefano Priore | Debian Sarge 3.1r0