Hp49g desing idea with ENTER key

1 view

qwerty

May 26, 2003, 12:37:07 PM5/26/03
Look at this

http://es.geocities.com/yamaha_sy35/hp49g_desing.htm

I have made this desing idea.

Waiting for yours comments.

FJ

Wolfgang Rautenberg

May 26, 2003, 12:50:55 PM5/26/03

First of all, the HP49 will never have an affair with any TI-model,
a Frenchman will never fall that deep :-)

Secondly, you enlarged the baby instead of making it more smooth.
Eleven key rows is an exaggeration. But anyway, I admire your skillnes
in producing such pictures...

- Wolfgang

Raymond Del Tondo

May 26, 2003, 3:28:08 PM5/26/03
Hello,

nice idea.

For the ENTER key:
I'd set it two rows deeper,
directly above/over the numeric keys.
And, I'd omit the small enter key on the bottom right.
Instead, I'd move the basic arithmetic keys
(+,-,*,/) one row deeper, that the '+' key is right to the SPC key.

This is because of ergonomical reasons.

It is most ergonomical if the ENTER key is near the middle of the keyboard,
because you can reach it easily from everywhere (on the keyboard, of
course;-)
with minimal finger/hand movement.

And the numeric keys and their most used arithmetic keys should build a
block,
not like in the 49G, where the divide key falls out of the block,
and even has letter assigned in ALPHA mode...

I think the old HP engineers did place the ENTER key
where it was (before the 49G) solely for practical reasons,
not because it used to be there (Hi Wolfgang;-).

Raymond

"qwerty" <rank...@yahoo.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

May 26, 2003, 4:18:35 PM5/26/03
"qwerty" <rank...@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> [...]
Exchange the HIST with UNDO, CAT with CHARS, EQW with '
SYMB with EVAL and it's (almost) OK

VPN
PS: I would like to have a row zero:
| F7 | | F8 | | F9 | | F10 | | F11 | | F12 |
just below the display in order to accommodate a new horizontal
model (in my dreams only) styled along the HP 200LX
with twelve functions keys below the display.
VPN
PS: Can you paint these - you so good at picturing calculators

John H Meyers

May 27, 2003, 4:52:48 AM5/27/03
In the earliest HP shirt-pocket calculators,
starting with HP-35, the arithmetic function keys
were also on the left, rather than on the right,
like this:

[ENTER]

[-] 7 8 9

[+] 4 5 6

[*] 1 2 3

[/] 0 . pi

Was it Ed Liljenwall who designed that keyboard?

What was the idea -- was it that people who used
the right hand to type on this keyboard
could always have an unobstructed view
of the arithmetic function keys?

Were + and * located nearer the center of the
keypad because these were the most frequently used,
and possibly that * and + were also often consecutively used?

Note how any such better ergonomics are also now long gone,
apparently because the industry took a different turn,
and HP went with the crowd.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/35first.jpg
http://www.hpmuseum.org/35last.jpg

.

Lennart Börjeson

May 27, 2003, 5:18:59 AM5/27/03
John H Meyers wrote:

> In the earliest HP shirt-pocket calculators,
> starting with HP-35, the arithmetic function keys
> were also on the left, rather than on the right,
> like this:
>
> [ENTER]
>
> [-] 7 8 9
>
> [+] 4 5 6
>
> [*] 1 2 3
>
> [/] 0 . pi
>

> Was it Ed Liljenwall who designed that keyboard?
>
> What was the idea -- was it that people who used
> the right hand to type on this keyboard
> could always have an unobstructed view
> of the arithmetic function keys?

That you should be able to use the calculator with one hand only. Use the
thumb to press the keys. I always used my HP25C that way.

/lennart

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

May 27, 2003, 11:18:26 AM5/27/03
"John H Meyers" <jhme...@miu.edu> wrote in message

> [ENTER]
>
> [-] 7 8 9
>
> [+] 4 5 6
>
> [*] 1 2 3
>
> [/] 0 . pi

While the all modern digital entry phones have it upside down
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
* 0 #
VPN

qwerty

May 27, 2003, 12:30:19 PM5/27/03
"Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" & Raimond

Hi, Your dreams come true:

http://es.geocities.com/yamaha_sy35/page_01a.htm

FJ

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

May 27, 2003, 12:50:58 PM5/27/03
Thank you!
I saved the page so I can look it even if not connected.
The first picture is quite good (for my dreams).
VPN