HP-15c limited ed. appeared in Japanese HP web site

estradarodas2003

Jul 17, 2011, 1:03:06 PM7/17/11
Here´s the link for the HP15C Ltd. Ed.

http://www8.hp.com/jp/ja/products/calculators/product-detail.html?oid=5153395

Its a nice opportunity to get one...

estradarodas2003

Jul 17, 2011, 1:21:28 PM7/17/11
This publication could be the response to this announce:

http://www.rpn-calc.ch/

Clint Weathers

Jul 18, 2011, 12:06:32 AM7/18/11
Aw yeah. Count me in.

Dan

Jul 18, 2011, 8:24:14 AM7/18/11
WOW!!

mjc

Jul 18, 2011, 4:14:06 PM7/18/11
I think I'll wait and see. I have two 15c clones on my Droid 2 and a
real 15c on a shelf, so I don't feel a need to spend the money.

Maybe something at HHC 2011?

John H Meyers

Jul 18, 2011, 7:44:29 PM7/18/11
On 7/17/2011 12:21 PM, estradarodas2003 wrote:

> This publication could be the response to this announce:
>
> http://www.rpn-calc.ch/

Where we may note:

"Based on the original microcode of the HP-15C
doing the exact same thing and a little more..."

The "little more" makes me wonder,
as does whether there is any copyright etc.
on the copied microcode (or entire design),
and the original manuals?

Could this have been done via an actual deal w/ HP?
If not, it may add to certain international incidents
of neglect of copyrights, etc.

Is the slight bug in numeric integration
(rare loss of accuracy) also preserved?

"This calculator is NOT by HP!"
(thank goodness; HP's old hardware was the best,
but more recent hardware wasn't :)

"Runs on runs on a battery saving LPC1114 ARM processor
emulating the NUT processor"

Well, the batteries of the original HP-15C lasted
quite a while, and even miraculously long when OFF.

One hopes that the emulation is complete.

"Runs up to 60 times faster
than the original calculator introduced back in 1982"
(so how fast does "Running" display? :)

"matrix display 132*16 pixels
a RS232 with TTL levels under the battery lid
features a command line interface!
send keystrokes, get display content, read CPU serial number, etc..."

This must be where "a little more" comes into play.

Is anything needed to interface TTL levels with real RS232?

How much memory does it have, compared to the tiny amount
that the original product had -- originally just enough for _either_
one 8x8 matrix _or_ 448 bytes of programming, costing some memory
to do complex numbers, numeric Solve or Integrate, etc.

Who is the actual OEM?
(what would you think if it was Kinpo? :)

It's no surprise that this attracts much interest,
even though it's not as powerful as later systems,
and as a reproduction, not as valuable to collectors as the originals.

In fact, for those who intend to use, rather than just collect,
programming a fixed 4-level stack with limited
stack operations, memory consisting of only numbered registers,
and no "alpha" capability at all, will not entice everyone.

[r->] [OFF]

John H Meyers

Jul 18, 2011, 7:50:29 PM7/18/11

Hmm.. that is a site actually in hp.com domain,
which would appear to make it sanctioned by HP,
although the other site indicated "not actually by HP."

Well, neither is the HP49G+/50G made by HP,
much as many famous "old" brands are now
marketing offices, outsourcing manufacturing
(and sometimes even the design).

I wonder who actually did the design work?

-[ ]-

estradarodas2003

Jul 22, 2011, 11:44:23 AM7/22/11

> In fact, for those who intend to use, rather than just collect.

> and no "alpha" capability at all, will not entice everyone.

If i buy an HP15C, is for collection too, but i'll try to use it. I
bought a HP48GX in 1996 at the time that the calc was the best option
available because their tecnology resources, like the 15C in 1982 for
other people at that time. So merchandise and begin a production of a
calc that have a 30 years old technology, no alpha, no matrix lcd.
Things that i'm use and not present ít's a risky bet. Even the today's
HP35S is the best option in the scientific line.

HE

DDS

Jul 29, 2011, 2:56:56 PM7/29/11
On 19/07/2011 00:50, John H Meyers wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 12:03 PM, estradarodas2003 wrote:
>
>> Here�s the link for the HP15C Ltd. Ed.
>>
>> <http://www8.hp.com/jp/ja/products/calculators/product-detail.html?oid=5153395>
>>
>> Its a nice opportunity to get one...
>
> I wonder who actually did the design work?

My friend has translated the website:

"The title is just something like HP 15c Advanced Scientific Calculator,
Programmable Function Calculator

Then some heading for technical data, but no contents

e.g.

System Logic / Keyboard
Memory
Extended Functionality
Physics Functions (like geared towards Physics use)
Processor / Display
Power and Battery
Dimensions
Accessories

The datasheet doesn't seem to go anywhere useful...! There is a list of
HP resellers / contacts - all japanese, mostly contacts by the looks of it.

Sorry that this doesn't appear to be more helpful :("