Casio Prizm

Thomas Walter

Oct 8, 2010, 8:54:01 AM10/8/10
Have you seen this announcement from Casio:

http://www.casio.com/news/content/51D7AC67-A2F7-479C-9250-926471B69BF9

The coloring reminds about the HP 48.
If there's a decent RPN mode then this could become a HP 50 successor.

Best regards,
Thomas

John H Meyers

Oct 8, 2010, 11:38:11 AM10/8/10
On 10/8/2010 7:54 AM:

> Have you seen this announcement from Casio:
> http://www.casio.com/news/content/51D7AC67-A2F7-479C-9250-926471B69BF9

"Enabling students to experiment
by creating their own graphs over pictures of real-life scenes"

Imagine how cool that would have been to have along
on Aug 6 and Aug 9, 1945, to more accurately drop
Little Boy and Fat Man on perfect parabolic arcs to their targets,
in that very country which later spawned Casio itself, and other
powerhouses that later beat the U.S. to its own industrial game,
at least between then and when China began to take over.

I wonder whether this Prizm (distinguished from Toyota's)
was a by-product of tossing similar drone-delivered objects
into Pakistan and Afghanistan?

Well, this forum has said that it (full color display in a calculator?)
couldn't be done, but perhaps it has been.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Med/Lbfm.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Man_and_Little_Boy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core
"Accidents will happen - don't try this at home"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

Kyoto was taken off the list of targets because Henry L. Stimson,
the Secretary of War at the time, had known and admired Kyoto
ever since his honeymoon there several decades earlier.

Kokura was spared because of clouds on August 9,
which would have prevented good pictures from being taken;
Nagasaki might also have been spared, and Fat Man ditched in the ocean,
except that its own clouds cleared only just before
the last opportunity to drop -- an unlucky "break."

"O cruel Gods, whose government
Binds all the world to your eternal bent,
And writes upon an adamantine table
All that your conclave has decreed as stable,
What more is man to you than to behold
A flock of sheep that cower in the fold?

For men are slain as much as other cattle,
Arrested, thrust in prison, killed in battle,
In sickness often and mischance, and fall,
Alas, too often for no guilt at all.

Where is right rule in your foreknowledge, when
Such torments fall on innocent, helpless men?
Yet there is more, for added to my load
I am to pay the duties that are owed
To God, for Him I am to curb my will
In all the lusts that cattle may fulfill.

For when a beast is dead, he feels no pain,
But after death a man must weep again
That living has endured uncounted woe;
I have no doubt that it may well be so.

I leave the answer for divines to tell,
But that there's pain on earth I know too well."

- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Knight's Tale, 14th century,
translated 1951 by Nevill Coghill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canterbury_Tales

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ek_-lNfzGUcC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&ots=u9Jep8m6za&sig=I7-MTv_Km7FEqGuaeKsKQspZsVQ&hl=en&ei=5C-vTJnYBYSnngf2-5CgBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

-[ ]-

Agnes Leroy

Oct 8, 2010, 11:18:15 AM10/8/10

- http://www.casioeducation.com/prizm [ Product Homepage]

They got it approved for most standardized tests:
The new fx-CG10/PRIZM is approved for use on the ACT, PSAT, SAT
and AP Exams.
The price is listed at US$129.99. HP 50g can be bought at $125 from
Amazon _after_ $50 discounts.

Hope they have a nice development environment ( with a good SDK) to go
with this. Like someone said, if they supported RPN built-in that
would be cool, but the HP crowd will likely complain about the keys
being mushy.

wow! That really looks great. Let's wait and watch what TI and HP
pulls out from their hats.

Congrats Casio, Great job

Jim Horn

Oct 8, 2010, 2:49:20 PM10/8/10
Very interesting machine! As an HP-50g alternative, the display is
nice but I wonder about only 64k of memory and 28 variables for
storage (!). Again, it sounds like its aimed at the market of
students doing homework, not for those who push their machines and
load lots into them.

Will look forward to seeing its manual when Casio makes it available.

TW

Oct 8, 2010, 10:14:08 AM10/8/10
> http://www.casio.com/news/content/51D7AC67-A2F7-479C-9250-926471B69BF9
>
> The coloring reminds about the HP 48.
> If there's a decent RPN mode then this could become a HP 50 successor.

Have you ever used a casio grapher interface. IMHO - uugh.

We'll see how long the battery really lasts though. :-)

TW

TW

Oct 8, 2010, 3:54:29 PM10/8/10
> They got it approved for most standardized tests:
>     The new fx-CG10/PRIZM is approved for use on the ACT, PSAT, SAT
> and AP Exams.

Those are the simple ones. There actually *isn't* any form of
certification required. Basically, those exams publish a list of what
the calculator must have, and what it can't have (CAS in the case of
the ACT exam for example). Other than that, it is just up to the
manufacturers to say that they are compliant.

> wow! That really looks great. Let's wait and watch what TI and HP
> pulls out from their hats.

Nope, not pulling out anything. Looks like a 9860 with a higher res
color screen and a few semi-gimmicky features. The 9860s are decent,
but definitely only targeted at schools and not something engineers
would like. My biggest gripe is that everything is completely isolated
and you have no way to integrate anything together.

TW

JT

Oct 8, 2010, 5:32:28 PM10/8/10
The User's Guide is available from their Worldwide Education site:

http://edu.casio.com

and the link to the User's Guide for the fx-CG10/20 is here:

http://edu.casio.com/products/cg_series/data/fxcg10_20_E.pdf

A.L.

Oct 8, 2010, 8:41:09 PM10/8/10
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:49:20 -0700 (PDT), Jim Horn
<jameslu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Very interesting machine! As an HP-50g alternative,

This is NOT HP-50g alternative. This is old Casio fx-9860G with color
screen and no new functionality Pretty basic calculator.

A.L.

A.L.

Oct 8, 2010, 8:42:59 PM10/8/10
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:38:11 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 10/8/2010 7:54 AM:
>
>> Have you seen this announcement from Casio:
>> http://www.casio.com/news/content/51D7AC67-A2F7-479C-9250-926471B69BF9
>
>"Enabling students to experiment
>by creating their own graphs over pictures of real-life scenes"
>
>Imagine how cool that would have been to have along
>on Aug 6 and Aug 9, 1945, to more accurately drop
>Little Boy and Fat Man on perfect parabolic arcs to their targets,
>in that very country which later spawned Casio itself, and other
>powerhouses that later beat the U.S. to its own industrial game,
>at least between then and when China began to take over.
>
>I wonder whether this Prizm (distinguished from Toyota's)
>was a by-product of tossing similar drone-delivered objects
>into Pakistan and Afghanistan?

Are you sure that you are posting to right group?...

A.L.

Kim DeVaughn

Oct 8, 2010, 11:54:02 PM10/8/10
Jim Horn <jameslu...@gmail.com> writes:

> Very interesting machine! As an HP-50g alternative, the display is
> nice but I wonder about only 64k of memory and 28 variables for
> storage (!). Again, it sounds like its aimed at the market of
> students doing homework, not for those who push their machines and
> load lots into them.

Actually, the spec does say Program Capacity is ~64KB (61,440 bytes),
but Storage Memory Capacity is 16MB. No mention of removable SD cards,
or the like, so I guess you must use the USB port to load/xfer programs,
data, or pretty pics to graph over.

Anyone here remember how to program using OVERLAYs ... :-) ...?

Alas, no RPN means no sale to me. Pretty display, though.

/kim

"Any sufficiently advanced technology, is indistinguishable from magic."
--Arthur C. Clarke

Tanguy Briançon

Oct 9, 2010, 4:42:28 AM10/9/10

I don't care about Casios. A calculator without RPN is not a
solution. My HP49g+ died. I bought the day after an
HP50g.

I love also the hacker's stuffs in the hp: MASD, the lib 256.

One could prefer jazz: the sys-rpl and ML debugger are one of
best programs made for HP48. MetaKernel/Jazz...

With hpgcc you can also do great things on a hp50...

JT

Oct 9, 2010, 5:27:31 AM10/9/10
I know what you mean; my workhorse is the HP 50g. However, I also
have the TI V200 and the SHARP EL-W516 scientific. I think that each
has their place in mobile computing. HP has the market cornered for
RPN but it doesn't have the market cornered for technology. I think
most
people here eyeball the competition from time to time to see where
the
technology is going, and the PRIZM actually is a pretty impressive
machine in that respect.

Agnes Leroy

Oct 10, 2010, 9:48:17 AM10/10/10
On Oct 9, 12:54 am, TW <timw*@gmail.com> wrote:

> Those are the simple ones. There actually *isn't* any form of
> certification required. Basically, those exams publish a list of what
> the calculator must have, and what it can't have (CAS in the case of
> the ACT exam for example). Other than that, it is just up to the
> manufacturers to say that they are compliant.

Ignorance on my part, I didn't knew how the process worked in the US.
I thought it was like CFA Institute. My bad.

> Nope, not pulling out anything. Looks like a 9860 with a higher res
> color screen and a few semi-gimmicky features. The 9860s are decent,
> but definitely only targeted at schools and not something engineers
> would like. My biggest gripe is that everything is completely isolated
> and you have no way to integrate anything together.

Hmmm.. looks can be deceiving, to the ignoramus. How can you be so
sure by only seeing the image. Have you seen the manual?

Agnes Leroy

Oct 10, 2010, 9:57:36 AM10/10/10
On Oct 9, 1:42 pm, Tanguy Briançon <briancon_tan...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> With hpgcc you can also do great things on a hp50...

I believe Casio also has an SDK + many more fan projects. Like HPGCC
it is not dead.

TW

Oct 10, 2010, 11:04:18 AM10/10/10
> Ignorance on my part, I didn't knew how the process worked in the US.
> I thought it was like CFA Institute. My bad.

Yeah, I didn't know either until just 2-3 months ago or so. There is
actually a surprising range of variety in how exams work regarding
approvals.

> > Nope, not pulling out anything. Looks like a 9860 with a higher res
> > color screen and a few semi-gimmicky features. The 9860s are decent,
> > but definitely only targeted at schools and not something engineers
> > would like. My biggest gripe is that everything is completely isolated
> > and you have no way to integrate anything together.
>
> Hmmm.. looks can be deceiving, to the ignoramus. How can you be so
> sure by only seeing the image. Have you seen the manual?

I am not sure and have not seen the manual, so it is just a guess.
However, all of the images and specs listed seem to fit in line with
the 9860. It obviously isn't a classpad type system, so the only other
codebase they have to work with would be the one used in the 9860
series (unless the rewrote from scratch).

TW

TW

Oct 11, 2010, 10:13:21 AM10/11/10
> > Hmmm.. looks can be deceiving, to the ignoramus. How can you be so
> > sure by only seeing the image. Have you seen the manual?
>
> I am not sure and have not seen the manual, so it is just a guess.
> However, all of the images and specs listed seem to fit in line with
> the 9860. It obviously isn't a classpad type system, so the only other
> codebase they have to work with would be the one used in the 9860
> series (unless the rewrote from scratch).

Someone found the manual.
http://edu.casio.com/products/cg_series/data/fxcg10_20_E.pdf

According to a qualified individual I trust, she says after a quick
read through:

"- added commands to deal with the color display
- a geometry application
- an image/plotting application (the advertised feature)
- metric conversions are now a built in application
- more statistics functions (and in their own application)
- better support to editing programs on a PC and transferring them to
the calculator

Otherwise it's an fx-9860g II. While that's pretty much what I
expected I was hopping for more programming improvements."

TW