HP48SX Display Problem - SOVLED

Debra D. Wright

Oct 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/12/95
Dear Fellow HP Owners on the Net -

I earlier posted on this list about my problem with my HP48SX. A verical
column was missing through the display - the fifth column. Through all of
your help and my persistence, I was able to find out that this defect was
due to a manufacturing defect on HP's part, thus it was covered under the
standard warranty. It did take me a while to get through to someone at
HP, however, who understood what my problem was - my recommendation is to
call calculator support, NOT service. The support people were the ones
who eventually tracked down this problem officially.

Because the HP48SX is unrepairable and obsolete by now (*sniff*) I got a
brand new HP48GX in the mail today... :) I'm having lots of fun with my
new toy.. HP was even kind enough to return my old case, which has seen
me through many an engineering exam.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded to my original post, and thanks
to those folks who maintain such wonderful web pages. At the end of this
letter is a document about the screen display problem I had, and the URL
to access the original information. It took 5 years for this problem to
surface, so I'm sure there's at least one or two people with 48SX's left
who may find this information useful.

Thank you!

Debbie Wright
deb...@nwu.edu

URL for the original location of this letter:
http://www.icaen.uiowa.edu/~thieleke/hp/database/hp48s

Article: 3937 of comp.sys.hp48
From: akcs.j...@hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com (Joseph K. Horn)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1992 06:40:02 GMT

For those suffering from failing HP48 LCD's, the following "official"
posting about it from HP's BBS sysop is the final word. Due to its
importance, it was included on Goodies Disk #7, in the POSTINGS
subdirectory. Hope it helps. -jkh-

===============
(Feedbackto.hp)
Item: 248
Resp: 3 by san...@hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com
Date: Tue Apr 07 1992 14:35

I checked with the Hardware folks, and here is the scoop:

There was a specific problem that may or may not occur in a limited
production of units. The problem has been isolated to the LCD and
has been resolved with the vendor. The potentially defective LCD's
were installed in HP 48's with serial numbers ranging 3013AXXXXX thru
3044AXXXXX. Symptoms of the problem are a pronounced black spot in the
upper left hand corner of the display and/or dark/missing columns
3,5,7 and/or 9.

If a unit is failing for the above reasons, subject to
verification by the Corvallis Service Center, it will be covered as
part of the standard warranty, even if the standard warranty period
has expired.

Greg (SYSOP)

--
Debra D. Wright
deb...@nwu.edu

"There are no small parts, only small actors."