Conecting to HP calcs with Vista.

已查看 6 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Harold Climer

未读,
2007年2月26日 14:57:222007/2/26
收件人
Has anyone tried to connect to any HP calcs with Vista yet?
I just purchased a new HP computer and was wondering about it.
Harold A. Climer
Dept,Of Physics,Geology & Astronomy
U.T.Chattanooga
Room 318 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403
423-425-4546

Dave Boyd

未读,
2007年2月27日 09:25:152007/2/27
收件人
Harold Climer wrote:
> Has anyone tried to connect to any HP calcs with Vista yet?
> I just purchased a new HP computer and was wondering about it.

Sorry, it's my firm desire to avoid working with Vista for as many years
as I can get away with it. I imagine many others feel the same...

Please let us know if you find out, though. It will probably work fine.
Why would they break serial comms? <hollow laugh>

--
Dave Boyd
"That's sucker talk."

John H Meyers

未读,
2007年2月27日 12:07:372007/2/27
收件人
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:25:15 -0600, Dave Boyd wrote:

> It will probably work fine.
> Why would they break serial comms? <hollow laugh>

Are there Vista computers that still have a serial port?

My computer has both a serial port and a floppy drive,
which indicates that it's definitely not Vista-ready :)

-[ ]-

Albert Graef

未读,
2007年2月28日 05:59:192007/2/28
收件人
John H Meyers wrote:
> Are there Vista computers that still have a serial port?
>
> My computer has both a serial port and a floppy drive,
> which indicates that it's definitely not Vista-ready :)

I'm pretty confident that Vista will still have drivers for "obsolete"
equipment such as floppy drives and serial interfaces. However,
reportedly you might have to upgrade just about everything else in older
PCs to enjoy the new and shiny GUI features. ;-)

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany

Harold A Climer

未读,
2007年2月28日 10:58:092007/2/28
收件人

It is not just computers with Vista on them that do not have Serial
and Parallel ports . I bought an HP Pavilion last Summer that has XP
Media Center Edition and it did not have them. I bought a Lavaport
Plus for it. I took out he internal modem card and they work just
fine.
Harold A Climer
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
Room 309 Grote Hall

615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403

Harold...@utc.edu

John H Meyers

未读,
2007年2月28日 17:44:282007/2/28
收件人
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 04:59:19 -0600, Albert Graef wrote:

> I'm pretty confident that Vista will still have drivers for
> "obsolete" equipment such as floppy drives and serial interfaces.

Most computers which still have the obsolete equipment,
however, may not have enough memory, speed, or disk space
to run Vista, whether or not it has drivers :)

The patience of the user might also be insufficient
(suppose, for example, a new ROM came out for HP50
which wouldn't allow you to run your own SysRPL programs :)

-[ ]-

barro

未读,
2007年3月1日 07:41:082007/3/1
收件人
On Feb 28, 10:58 am, Harold A Climer <hcli...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:07:37 -0600, "John H Meyers"
>
> Harold-Cli...@utc.edu

More or same thoughts:
The manufacturers no longer supply RS-232 serial ports as these are
considered "legacy" hardware having been replaced by USB. These can
easily be added via a card as mentioned. This would only be done in
cases where the user needs to interface to equipment that has RS-232
such as the HP50 or an old modem.

I am not surprised that parallel is now being considered legacy. Most
printers can use USB but good ones have both. That won't help if the
PC doesn't have parallel. So again, buy another card. At some point,
the question becomes how many PCI slots are available on the main
board because without these you are screwed. Fewer slots are provided
on the modern boards. And as the slot architecture changes you will
face more Catch 22's.

Don't forget to budget at least one slot for the SCSI card that you
may also need to interface to your obsolete SCSI scanner or drive!

John B

John H Meyers

未读,
2007年3月1日 08:28:462007/3/1
收件人
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:41:08 -0600, barro wrote:

> More or same thoughts:
> The manufacturers no longer supply RS-232 serial ports as these
> are considered "legacy" hardware having been replaced by USB.
> These can easily be added via a card as mentioned.

How about with laptops?
(not that I have one, I have only an empty lap :)

> This would only be done in cases where the user needs
> to interface to equipment that has RS-232
> such as the HP50 or an old modem.

HP48[S/G][X/+], HP49G, and HP48Gii are serial-only
(HP49G+/50G have USB; 50G has extra serial, but no free cable)

[r->] [OFF]

barro

未读,
2007年3月1日 09:52:262007/3/1
收件人
On Mar 1, 8:28 am, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:41:08 -0600, barro wrote:
> > More or same thoughts:
> > The manufacturers no longer supply RS-232 serial ports as these
> > are considered "legacy" hardware having been replaced by USB.
> > These can easily be added via a card as mentioned.
>
> How about with laptops?
> (not that I have one, I have only an empty lap :)

Everything gets worse in the case of laptops. Yankee ingenuity fails
entirely in such cases. There is no alternative but to recyle the now
obsolete just built HP50 as the Wintel cartel can no longer support
such obsolete technology.

Persons found guilty of such thoughts are reminded to carefully read
their EULA before powering up a Vista laptop.

John B

Codesmith

未读,
2007年3月1日 11:57:052007/3/1
收件人

"Harold A Climer" <hcl...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:07:37 -0600, "John H Meyers"
> <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:25:15 -0600, Dave Boyd wrote:
>>
>>> It will probably work fine.
>>> Why would they break serial comms? <hollow laugh>
>>
>>Are there Vista computers that still have a serial port?

If your system does not have an RS232 COM port, I have had good results with
serial-to-USB converters such as this...

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=765162&cats=199&catid=199%2C601%2C461

John H Meyers

未读,
2007年3月3日 01:27:512007/3/3
收件人
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:57:05 -0600, Codesmith wrote:

> If your system does not have an RS232 COM port,
> I have had good results with
> serial-to-USB converters such as this...
>
> http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=765162&cats=199&catid=199%2C601%2C461

Could you please mention: what COM port(s) can it appear on?
and with which version(s) of Windows have you used it?

Did it work with any HP calcs? (49G? -- with "serial port bug"?)
What other sorts of devices did work?

Thanks.

-[ ]-

migue...@sympatico.ca

未读,
2007年3月10日 02:04:242007/3/10
收件人

Hello,

I installed successfully the last version of Conn4x (Version 2.3 build
2439) on Windows Vista.

Installation: Vista stopped my first attempt to install conn4x and
automatically assigned compatibility parameters to the installer, so
the second time, the software was installed without any problem.
Connecting my 50g to the computer made Vista to look for the USB
drivers. I indicated the drivers were to be found on c:\Program Files
\Hewlett-Packard\Conn4x\USBDriver. The drivers were installed and the
50g was recognised as a new hardware.

Running: I started the Xmodem server on the calculator and then I
indicated to connect using USB Calculator on the application, then I
just pressed the "connect to the calculator" button and the
communication was established immediately. So, it seems that all is
working just fine.

Regards,

Miguel

0 个新帖子