USB-Serial connection for HP-48 works:-)

瀏覽次數:142 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Raymond Del Tondo

未讀,
2005年6月14日 上午10:09:372005/6/14
收件者:
Hi all,

recently there was a thread about this topic.

Meanwhile I tried my USB-RS232 adapter,
and it simply works:-)

No connectivity kit needed, as long as you have
either KERMIT, a KERMIT-capable terminal program,
or an XMODEM transfer program on your PC.

Of course XMODEM only works if you also have
an XMODEM capable program on your HP-48,
or a G series HP-48;-)

So you don't necessarily need a 49g+ nor the conectivity kit
to transfer data between the HP-48 and newer PCs.

Long live the HP-48 !

Raymond

rei...@yahoo.com

未讀,
2005年6月14日 中午12:52:582005/6/14
收件者:

Raymond Del Tondo wrote:

> Meanwhile I tried my USB-RS232 adapter,
> and it simply works:-)

on your HP-48,

> or a G series HP-48;-)

> So you don't necessarily need a 49g+ nor the conectivity kit to transfer data between the HP-48 and newer PCs.
>
> Long live the HP-48 !
> Raymond

This is good news. May I ask specifically which USB-RS232 adapter you
are using? Thank you and vive le 48.
Bill

Chips

未讀,
2005年6月14日 下午5:02:232005/6/14
收件者:
I had to get one to hook my newer PCs (no serial port on laptop nor desktop)
to a total station for surveying.

Radio Shack has one that seems to work fine. It comes with a CD with
software to make it work. Also, their website has the software. The cable
adapter is about $50.

Caution: First Radio Shack I went to had a guy behind the desk who said they
didn't exist. Just check a different store.

GC

<rei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Raymond Del Tondo

未讀,
2005年6月14日 下午6:58:282005/6/14
收件者:
Hi Bill,

I bought my USB-RS232 adapter last year off eBay from a guy
who already customized the adapter with a plug for the HP-48
on one end, and an USB connector on the other.

When connected, the thing shows up in the device manager as
'Prolific USB-to-Serial Bridge' ,
and the properties page shows 'Prolific Technology Inc.' .

The driver creates a virtual serial port,
which your software has to connect to,
as if it were a real serial port.

Everything else is totally transparent,
your software 'thinks' it's connected to a RS232 port.

I guess it'll work with any USB-RS232 adapter,
as long as there are drivers for your OS.

Regards

Raymond

<rei...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Christoph Giesselink

未讀,
2005年6月15日 下午4:39:542005/6/15
收件者:
Over 90% of USB-RS232 adapters from different manufactures I got, use a
Prolific component inside. Overall I have very less problems with them. Some
early prolific v1.x driver versions have problems with overlapped IO
transfers and the latest adapters with a Prolific component inside I got
need a v2.x driver version (have the same ID so you aren't requested to
install a new driver :( ).

http://www.reichelt.de/ sell such USB-RS232 adapter for around 10 EUR. So a
price of ~50$ is totally overpriced.

Regards