v92 ROM and the Equation Library

Scott Kitts

Aug 9, 2006, 12:21:20 AM8/9/06
Has anyone else tried the v92 ROM (2.09) for the 49G+/50G now available
from hp? I tried it on my 49G+ (from fall of 2005, last revision -
works perfectly, no "issues"), but the Equation Library crashes and
warm boots the calc. Reverting to v88 (2.06) brings the Equation
Library back to life. (New batteries, no errors, updating from SD
card.)

Did I do something wrong or is v92 just buggy?

Scott Kitts

Douglas Rohm

Aug 9, 2006, 1:30:59 AM8/9/06
I get the same problem. I just upgraded to the same ROM version you did
on my 49G+ and when I try to go into the Equation Library it warm boots the
calc.

HP49-C, 2.09

jei...@boku.net

Aug 9, 2006, 1:35:10 AM8/9/06
Scott Kitts wrote:
> Has anyone else tried the v92 ROM (2.09) for the 49G+/50G now available
> from hp?

just now

> I tried it on my 49G+ (from fall of 2005, last revision -
> works perfectly, no "issues"), but the Equation Library crashes and
> warm boots the calc.

same here. don't know why. huh.

-Jonathan

jei...@boku.net

Aug 9, 2006, 2:10:27 AM8/9/06
Scott Kitts wrote:
> Has anyone else tried the v92 ROM (2.09) for the 49G+/50G now available
> from hp?

I tried some stuff, and here is what I found (not a fix):

I first deleted the equation libraries 226 and 227 (actually everything
on port 2) then reaplied the ROM update. I found that I didn't have
any equation libraries.

So, I went back to the latest official HP ROM, 2.01-2, which added the
equation library, and loaded that up (size written to flash=15BFF0)
Now I had my equation library back.

so, I loaded up the latest ROM again. (size written to flash=13BFF0)

now, when I try to load the equation library, I get 'EXTERNAL' on level
1, and
EXTERNAL EXTERNAL
EXTERNAL EXTERNAL
EXTERNAL EXTERNAL
EXTERNAL EXTERNAL
EXTERNAL EXTERNAL
EXTERNAL EXTERNAL

on level 2

ideas?

-Jonathan

John H Meyers

Aug 9, 2006, 2:11:19 AM8/9/06

I'd guess that the file in this immediate release may not
contain any equation libraries; I'd expect that the new ROM
will update HP50s which shipped with 2.08,
retaining the already present good equation library,
and they will be happy (hey, is LINSOLVE fixed now?)

If anyone has any old 49G+ ROM which sort of over-extended
into the first user flash bank, and somehow dropped eq libs there,
then this new ROM does not extend that far, does not overwrite
the old stuff, and the old stuff is incompatible with v.92

If that's the case, you'd better not use eq lib from OLD 49G+
with NEW rom -- you might as well even purge those OLD libs
(if you decide to reflash your OLD, "oversize" 49G+ ROM again,
then they will come back again and all work with OLD rom again).

[r->] [OFF]

Mike M.

Aug 9, 2006, 2:18:39 AM8/9/06
Scott Kitts wrote:
> Has anyone else tried the v92 ROM (2.09) for the 49G+/50G now available
> from hp? I tried it on my 49G+ (from fall of 2005, last revision -
> works perfectly, no "issues"), but the Equation Library crashes and
> warm boots the calc. Reverting to v88 (2.06) brings the Equation
> Library back to life. (New batteries, no errors, updating from SD
> card.)

Just installed the ROM on my 50g and I have no problems so far.
Equation Lib still works great. LINSOLVE bug seems fixed too. "USB
Brown Out" bug is still present though...

Likely just a placebo effect but I almost think the screen contrast is
slightly improved from before... and yes, I did readjust the contrast
just in case it had changed after the update. Maybe my batteries are
getting slightly weaker now and it looks better because of that...?

Regards,
Mike Mander

John H Meyers

Aug 9, 2006, 3:11:22 AM8/9/06
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:18:39 -0500, Mike M. wrote:

> Just installed the ROM on my 50g and I have no problems so far.
> Equation Lib still works great. LINSOLVE bug seems fixed too.

Hooray! So it's clear that it's great for 50G!

> "USB Brown Out" bug is still present though...

Sounds more like hardware than software.

> Likely just a placebo effect
> but I almost think the screen contrast
> is slightly improved from before...

Could be the "subliminal" effect of barely perceiving
the faintest reflection in the cover
of someone pretty, looking over one's shoulder :)

Now, how many people have *both* a 50G and a 49G+ ???

Well, after you've flashed *both* of them, it's evident
that you should take the 49G+ in hand (that's the gold one,
if I recall correctly), and purge some bad OLD libraries,
in case those are there (not in the black one, in the *gold* one :)

Now, I understand that both calcs have IrDA, yes?
And you can transmit files using IrDA?

That sounds like something to ponder over a long walk,
so I guess I might as well take one -- good night.

[r->] [OFF]

Mike M.

Aug 9, 2006, 3:22:22 AM8/9/06
John H Meyers wrote:

> Now, I understand that both calcs have IrDA, yes?
> And you can transmit files using IrDA?

Yes, I can transmit files from the 50g to the 49g+ via IrDA. Just
tried it to verify that...

Enjoy your walk!

Mike

Mike M.

Aug 9, 2006, 3:26:04 AM8/9/06

John H Meyers wrote:

> > "USB Brown Out" bug is still present though...
>
> Sounds more like hardware than software.

Well, didn't many think the same thing about some early 49g+ issues,
like the initial short battery life, the crazy twitching LCD and even,
to some extent, the keyboard? Although those all sounded like hardware
issues, firmware updates worked wonders! Maybe there is a chance with
the 50g USB issue as well...

> Now, I understand that both calcs have IrDA, yes?
> And you can transmit files using IrDA?

Yes, I can transmit files from the 50g to the 49g+ via IrDA. Just

HerveChappe

Aug 9, 2006, 4:09:17 AM8/9/06
Just tried on my 49g+, old model, CN 33x, no issue, works fine...

jei...@boku.net

Aug 9, 2006, 5:09:10 PM8/9/06
Which revision ROM did you have loaded previously?

-Jonathan

Douglas Rohm

Aug 9, 2006, 5:23:06 PM8/9/06
And did you try to run anything in the EQLib?

Avatar_e

Aug 9, 2006, 8:00:37 PM8/9/06
My EQLIB does not work too, just show the main menu, but the calc goes
to warm start if I select any option

John H Meyers

Aug 9, 2006, 10:31:55 PM8/9/06
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 19:00:37 -0500, Avatar_e <erwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My EQLIB does not work too, just show the main menu,
> but the calc goes to warm start if I select any option

Are you updating a 49G+ from ROM 2.06 or earlier?

Since everyone reports this same problem in that case,
the conclusion must be that you can't use whatever
HP Equation libraries you had before, with a new ROM;
best in that case to purge both libraries
before even upgrading ROM;
if you value the Equation library more than the ROM fixes,
then simply don't upgrade, or re-flash your old ROM back.

If you are upgrading a new 50G from ROM 2.08,
reports show that everything will be fine,
and that LINSOLVE will be fixed!

This is the currently offered download
from an HP public calculator web site:

Release Date: 2006-08-01 Version: v.92

Zip file: HP49Gp_build92_ROM_Update.zip

Length Size Ratio Date Time Name
------ ----- ----- ---- ---- ----
1294336 747699 43% 06/03/2006 05:24 4950_92.bin
10367 4230 60% 02/05/2004 14:16 license.txt
11151 3091 73% 07/31/2006 12:43 readme_zip.rtf
13 13 0% 07/31/2006 12:43 update.scp
------- ------- --- -------
1315867 755033 43% 4

If you look at 49G+ rom updates 2.06 and earlier,
for comparison, the old ".bin" file length is 1425408,
so this new ".bin" file is 131072 bytes shorter!

Is that because there are *no* equation libraries
in the new "v.92" update? If you are updating a 49G+
(NOT a 50G!), then try purging the OLD (now useless)
v2.06 (or earlier) libraries before flashing this new ROM;
after the update, do you find any new libraries?

If not, then it seems that this new update
only updates ROM, and does not install anything
into the "user" portion of flash (where your own
files and libraries reside), so it will leave
any existing libraries just as they were.

Perhaps this is a good idea -- after all,
weren't we all reading (or experiencing)
that some old updates were wiping out
our own stored flash files every time?

If you update a 49G+ from 2.06 or earlier,
it seems that any old Eq libraries are simply
not compatible with new ROM.

If you update a 50G, however,
your original libraries are completely compatible,
and since no backup copy came with your purchase
or has yet been posted by HP on the web, you may
be entitled to make your own personal backup copy,
although the "license.txt" file above, (c) 2003,
seems to be about computer software, not calc ROM,
and needs a panel of law professors for analysis :)

I do not speak for anybody -- in fact, I am speechless!

John Gustaf Stebbins

Aug 10, 2006, 12:34:55 AM8/10/06
I upgraded both my 49g+ and 50g. Initially the 49g+ was restarting when I
tried the equation library. I copied the library files from my 50g and now
it seems to work fine.

-jgs

"John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

Avatar_e

Aug 10, 2006, 2:12:43 AM8/10/06
Why hp does not test their shit before releasing them (hw and soft)????

Remember when I receive my hp49g+ cn331xxxx, after 1 min using the calc
I feel the poor quality keyboard and the menu flickering. Where are the
testers who passed the hp49g+? (old history now with the **keyboard bug
free*** hp50g, but here in latin america is not very easy or cheaper
buy things like calculators or get support for that)

John H Meyers

Aug 10, 2006, 3:48:58 AM8/10/06
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:12:43 -0500, Avatar_e shrieked:

> Why hp does not test [!@*%*$#] before releasing (hw and soft)????
> Remember when I receive my hp49g+ cn331xxxx,...

Is this regressing to complain about the past again?

The new ROM fixes LINSOLVE and no one has spoken
of any new bug in it; people who updated on 50G
have said it works fine.

It is an OLD item (from release 2.06 or earlier)
which doesn't work for you now (the Eq libs),
and nothing at all is wrong with the new ROM.

Actually it seems to have been known that
the early version of those libs was locked
into each ROM version that they came with,
which is why they did not come separately,
but only as a single ".bin" file which flashed
both ROM and the first "user" flash bank
at the same time, much the same as it flashes
both the "main OS" and the independent CAS at the same time,
because all these parts had to be assembled and linked together;
they could not be "mixed and matched" between different ROM versions.

The only thing you can say is "wrong" with the just-released update
is that it doesn't come with any note saying that you have to discard
the extra OLD (2.06) libs when you update to this new ROM version,
but there is a fairly good likelihood that the ROM you were using
just before this update was an unofficial version anyway, and if so
it did not come from HP, so why are they responsible for it?

This new official version 2.09 seems to have ended the older
practice (and necessity) of bundling an overwrite of the first
user flash bank (which zaps your own files!) with the main ROM,
which seems to be an improvement (the old way was driving me nuts :)

The list of past official HP ROM releases for 49G+ suggests that
official 49G+ releases 50 and 80 came with built-in Eq libs
(overwriting a user flash bank each time, however).

Recently every new HP50G came with 2.08 and new libs installed
(but not on CD?), and the brand new official 2.09 update
contains only the ROM update (no more overwriting user files!),
which now appears to be independent of the libs,
so people with new 50G can just update ROM
and the libs are still there, while people with 49G+
are left without any libs to go with ROM 2.09
(their OLD libs are still there, but OLD libs no longer work).

That's all I can deduce from reading everything going on here,
or from installing 2.09 in my own 49G+ -- I wouldn't even have
known that it was available from HP if I hadn't read it here
yesterday, so it was nice of Scott Kitts to have posted about it
and let the rest of us know, since HP doesn't officially even
drop in to say "hey you folks, we just published a ROM update,"
even though it was another great support that they released it!

So, Mr. Avatar, it's not any matter of not testing --
everything that's brand new has in fact been spectacularly good,
both in hardware and software fixes -- the only "loose end"
is that when you updated what's probably an unofficial 49G+ ROM,
your Eq libs fell off :) [BTW, do people actually use them?]

I don't know what happens next -- go ask someone who doesn't
work for HP, or someone who does work for HP but doesn't speak,
or ask Scott Kitts to keep an eye out to spot any further updates,
in case one silently rolls in again on little cat feet...

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Aug 10, 2006, 4:15:05 AM8/10/06
John Gustaf Stebbins wrote:
> I upgraded both my 49g+ and 50g. Initially the 49g+ was restarting when I
> tried the equation library. I copied the library files from my 50g and now
> it seems to work fine.

Thank you! I was just about to ask whether anyone had tried that
yet.

So, if the proper libraries 226 and 227 were available, those of
us who have a 49g+ but not a 50g could use version 2.09 and still
have the equation library work.

<snip>

--
Regards,
James

Avatar_e

Aug 10, 2006, 5:11:22 AM8/10/06
> Is this regressing to complain about the past again?

Well, I spend more than 185.000 chilean pesos (about US$350) in a
calculator with a keyboard worse than the one of a two dollars generic
calculator, two months waiting without the calculator (in service, for
a replace) and paying the shipment twice for service too... is to
remember... finaly the third time they send me a new calculator from
some USA warehouse, too much better I didn't pay anything like in first
two times. Then they send me another, and then another (actual)...

> So, Mr. Avatar, it's not any matter of not testing --

hehe... (past again) any standard user just need less than 1 min to
feel something strange with the brand new hp49g+ quality... maybe the
50g is fixed and for now users can forget that.

I'm waiting yet my 50g from samson :)

> everything that's brand new has in fact been spectacularly good,
> both in hardware and software fixes -- the only "loose end"
> is that when you updated what's probably an unofficial 49G+ ROM,
> your Eq libs fell off :) [BTW, do people actually use them?]

I use Eq libs :D
Once a year or less, but sometimes I could need it, by the way is
usefull is I don't waste the memory with another things. I don't
remember if 2.00 **official** rom comes with eqlib.

pd: sorry my english xD I can't write exactly what I am trying to say.

James M. Prange

Aug 10, 2006, 5:29:47 AM8/10/06
Well, I don't think that the 49g+ is all that old. In fact, as of
a few minutes ago, HP was still offering it on
www.shopping.hp.com, along with the new 50g.

The problem is that HP's update site states:

"This package contains the latest version of the HP 49G+/50g ROM
(v92)."

Even though, as near as I've been able to determine, it doesn't
work correctly with any of the equation libraries available for
the 49g+, from either official or unofficial updates.

I think that not packaging the current libraries with build 92 is
probably just a mistake, and that future updates may very well
overwrite some of the contents of port 2. From HP's update site:

"Note: Although the ROM update process should not erase any of
the user data stored in HOME, IRAM (PORT0), ERAM(PORT1) and
SD(PORT3), this upgrade may erase some of the data in
FLASH(Port2) performing a backup of your valuable data is
therefore recommended."

I hope that HP continues to release updates that apply to both the
50g and the 49g+, although I hope that they'll include the
libraries as part of the package, or as separately downloadable
files.

--
Regards,
James

John H Meyers

Aug 10, 2006, 6:02:39 AM8/10/06
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 04:29:47 -0500, James M. Prange wrote:

> The problem is that HP's update site states...

The same notice is within the zip file itself,
and is right up there with the "1085KB user flash"
for being up to date, given that it doesn't happen
(proof of which is that even the old 2.06 libs
remain after update, for they are always in that bank).

Maybe someone from Marketing [along with Legal]
is still in charge :)

[r->] [OFF]

John H Meyers

Aug 10, 2006, 7:34:59 AM8/10/06
James' reference to that fearsome warning from HP
brings up another thought:

Aren't there people who don't even want
the (completely arbitrary, non-customizeable,
randomly selected stuff that no one person needs all of,
nor is all that any one person needs) Equation libs,
who would rather pack into the "user" flash area
all the useful stuff that can fit in, even without
having to buy an extra SD card?

Isn't it a blessing not to be forced
to go through a major and tedious backup procedure
(requiring either an SD card or else a Windows computer
with USB and personal file storage)
before any ROM update, out of fear that any or all
of your own files may get zapped, and have to be
found and re-loaded back into your calculator?

The idea of delivering *any* libraries as user flash-wiping
ROM update extensions is still spine-chilling to me,
so I sure hope that they turn up as completely separate files,
just like every other library HP has ever offered.

Think of all the libs HP created itself for the 48 series,
for example, which still reside on JKH's famous "Goodies Disks,"
the current Eq libs being in fact among HP's original creations
for the HP48, exactly the same today as they were on the original
HP48SX plug-in ROM card, and later built right into HP48G[X] ROM,
along with other "product attraction demos" like "Minehunt"
(and more recently Tetris for the 49 series,
perhaps left over from the 48SX Eq Lib card :)

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Aug 10, 2006, 9:57:34 AM8/10/06
I agree; any external libraries (including 226 and 227 for the
"Equation Library" in the 49 series), would be better provided as
separate files to be installed as a user option, and never
automatically installed as part of a ROM update. In cases where
they're dependent on a particular ROM revision, they could be
included in the update's .ZIP file, or provided as separate
downloads labelled as to which ROM revision they require.

--
Regards,
James

John H Meyers

Aug 10, 2006, 10:18:45 AM8/10/06

The Siamese twins may have undergone successful separation,
and might now be able to lead separate future lives,
like this recent pair:

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Herrin_twins_recovering_normally_Update.shtml

Another recent case which went in the opposite direction
(these apparently were born separate, became joined later in life):
http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/?itemid=1239

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Aug 10, 2006, 1:00:27 PM8/10/06
A tip from Arnaud Amiel on the Museum Forum is that libraries 226
and 227 from the 50g in EMU48 work with ROM revision 2.09 on the
49g+. See:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/forum.cgi?read=97594#97594

I used the EMU48 included with Version 2.2, Build 85a of Debug4x,
available at:
http://www.debug4x.com/

As far as I've noticed, the Equation Library works correctly this
way.

--
Regards,
James

John Nguyen

Aug 10, 2006, 1:18:57 PM8/10/06

If you contact HP Tech Support (remember to ask for Calculator Support
or the person who answers the phone will have no idea of your issue),
they are aware of the problem. They will email you the library if you
ask (and explain how it resets your calc). Be patient. The Tech
Support person first told me I had to go back to a previous ROM, but
then while we were on the phone, his supervisor told him to email me
the library.

If you are lucky enough to have the HP50g equation library, you can use
that. I suspected that it would, but just I wanted to be sure.

John

John Nguyen

Aug 10, 2006, 1:19:25 PM8/10/06

Avatar_e

Aug 10, 2006, 5:11:23 PM8/10/06
There is eqlib for owners of the *old* hp49g+ yet:

http://erwin.ried.cl/files/articles/hp_files/hp50g_eqlibs.rar

Just replace original libraries from port 2 with these.

Jean-Yves Avenard

Aug 10, 2006, 11:18:06 PM8/10/06
Scott Kitts wrote:
> Has anyone else tried the v92 ROM (2.09) for the 49G+/50G now available
> from hp? I tried it on my 49G+ (from fall of 2005, last revision -
> works perfectly, no "issues"), but the Equation Library crashes and
> warm boots the calc. Reverting to v88 (2.06) brings the Equation
> Library back to life. (New batteries, no errors, updating from SD
> card.)

The Equation Library that came with ROM <= 2.06 was using unsupported
entry points unfortunately.
So you had to always make sure the EQL that you used was the one that
came with the ROM.

In newer revision (like 2.08) the EQL is only using supported entry
points and will even work with early HP49G with ROM 1.18 (I didn't try
earlier ROM)

So if you upgrade from an earlier ROM, make sure you are upgrading the
EQL as well.
If you have a machine with EQL > 2.06 then there's no need to upgrade
the EQL anymore.

I have copied the latest Equation Library there:
http://www.hydrix.com/Download/Hp/4950Libraries/

Again: make sure you delete the two libraries before you update the ROM
and install the new ones instead.

Jean-Yves

John H Meyers

Aug 11, 2006, 12:21:29 AM8/11/06
Long thread; I hope this fairly sums it up:

For 49G+

o Unofficial recent (and possibly earlier official) ROM versions
had been supplied with an experimental "Equation Library"
(inherited from the original HP48SX and HP48G[X] version).

o All of those 49G+ ROM versions prior to 2.09
had a ROM-version-dependent Eqlib,
which won't work with 2.09 or any later ROM version.

o When you update your 49G+ to ROM version 2.09 or later,
it needs a new, permanent Equation Library,
which should work with this and future ROM versions;
this is an optional library, of course
(skip it if you have no use or desire for the Eqlib).

o You can obtain the new library from various sources:
- Copy L226 and L227 from your HP50G, if you have one
(here's an opportunity to test your IrDA file transfer :)
- Contact HP support, who will email you the files.
- Install the Windows-based "Debug4x" HP50G emulator
(third-party software, claims HP approval for its ROM files)
and copy L226 and L227 from its emulated flash port 2.
- Get from other people (I hope they have permission to distribute).

For 50G:

o Even the earliest sold 50G units came with
a completely independent version of the Equation Library,
which should work with any ROM version (perhaps even old ones).

o Current (and perhaps future) ROM updates
ought hopefully to re-flash only the internal ROM,
not disturbing the "user" part of flash port 2
(although the instructions contain a warning that it might!),
so that the new Eqlib should remain undisturbed,
and should keep working with future ROM versions.

If you haven't time to navigate through all the HP web links
which finally lead to the first v. 2.09 [build 92]
49G+/50G ROM update, a "copy link location" that I've just
done from the HP calculators web site gave me this location:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL4392/ca-31429-3/HP49Gp_build92_ROM_Update.zip

If you've skipped reading the web page which contains that link,
please open and read the enclosed file "readme_zip.rtf"
which contains the same information, in accordance with the timeless
sage advice "if at first you don't succeed, read the directions" :)

[r->] [OFF]

John H Meyers

Aug 11, 2006, 12:51:49 AM8/11/06
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:21:29 -0500:

> You can obtain the new Equation library from various sources...

Well, one more [most knowledgeable of all] source
was also composing a post at the same time as was I,
and should be convenient and reliable
for all who are updating 49G+
(newly sold 50G should already have come with
a pre-installed "universal" version).

Have all concerns now been addressed?

o The 50G hardware is the best! (as is final 49G+)

o The ROM (LINSOLVE) is fixed!
(and was entirely tested and correct)

o 49G+ can be updated to the same software as 50G.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/happydays.htm

[r->] [OFF]

Scott Kitts

Aug 11, 2006, 12:56:58 AM8/11/06
Thanks Avatar_e and Jean-Yves Avenard. I had guessed after I posted
that the v92 ROM update really wasn't a general update for the
49G+/50G, but rather an update for the release software for the 50G.

The 50G Equation Libraries do indeed work on my 49G+ with the v92 ROM.
(Curiously, the first time you call up an equation for a specific
subject, it comes up in RPL not as formatted text. Hitting the NextEqu
button formats it correctly, even if there's only one equation.)

Anyway, glad to be up to date!

Scott

cyrille de Brebisson

Aug 11, 2006, 3:09:44 PM8/11/06
hello,

I appologize, it was my fault. the previsous versions of the equation
library were specific to a certain ROM version and this is why they do not
work with ROM 92.

Thanks to the hard working hads behing the scene, we now have updated
versions of these files, which should be available as part of the ROM update
package within a couple of days (it takes time to post them on the web,
don't ask me why, it's the say it is).

In the mean time, if you do need the equation library, please downgrade to
an earlier version of the ROM (that can be found, for example, on the best
HP calc website in the world: www.hpcalc.org (thanks Eric)), else, if yo do
not need it, please just erase the library, and return on the hp.com website
to get the updated file in a couple of days. In the zip, you will find 2
library to download in the calcualtor and install.

regards, cyrille

"Scott Kitts" <scott...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone else tried the v92 ROM (2.09) for the 49G+/50G now available
> from hp? I tried it on my 49G+ (from fall of 2005, last revision -
> works perfectly, no "issues"), but the Equation Library crashes and
> warm boots the calc. Reverting to v88 (2.06) brings the Equation
> Library back to life. (New batteries, no errors, updating from SD
> card.)

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Aug 12, 2006, 9:56:56 PM8/12/06
cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
> hello,
>
> I appologize, it was my fault. the previsous versions of the equation
> library were specific to a certain ROM version and this is why they
> do not work with ROM 92.
>
> Thanks to the hard working hads behing the scene, we now have updated
> versions of these files, which should be available as part of the ROM
> update package within a couple of days (it takes time to post them on
> the web, don't ask me why, it's the say it is).
I hope they are just separate files
and the readme.txt explains how to transfer them to Port 2 (or 1 or 0)
DO NOT WIPE the UserFlash bank PLEASE !!!

Steen Schmidt

Aug 13, 2006, 5:30:50 AM8/13/06
Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:

> I hope they are just separate files
> and the readme.txt explains how to transfer them to Port 2 (or 1 or 0)
> DO NOT WIPE the UserFlash bank PLEASE !!!

They are standard libraries. They don't change anything when
installing/attaching them.

Regards
Steen

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Aug 14, 2006, 9:47:33 AM8/14/06

Yes, but on the 49g+ the upgrades wiped out a user flash bank
not just the libs, but possibly also user data...
I was referring to that old bad upgrade policy

Tanya

Aug 14, 2006, 10:08:42 AM8/14/06
Is an updated rom build expected soon that includes the libs? If so,
it might be a good idea to just wait for the next release.

John H Meyers

Aug 14, 2006, 4:26:30 PM8/14/06
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:47:33 -0500, VPN wrote:

> The 49g+ [old] upgrades [e.g. 2.06] wiped out a user flash bank

No more -- that was only up to [unofficial] 2.06 version for 49G+

It was because each older ROM required its own version of Eq libs,
so the method of updating ROM and Eq libs together had been
for the flash file to write both ROM and the first 128K
of port 2, installing the libs but wiping out anything else
that you had stored in the first 128K of port 2.

The v92/2.09 flash update is ROM-only (no user flash),
so it doesn't overwrite your own flash files.

Unfortunately, it also didn't originally come with
replacement Eq libs -- any HP50G already has the correct libs
anyway, but unofficial 2.06 for 49G+ has old libs
that won't work with ROM 2.09,
so you have to get and replace those libs (one time only).

As of this moment, HP's USA graphing calculators page
has replaced the 49G+ with the 50G, and any saved URL
for the 49G+ page now redirects to a 50G page.

At the same time, the original fairly direct link
to the "software and driver downloads" isn't on the new 50G page at all,
while the "calculator support" link on the left goes to a page
which still mentions 49G+ and no 50G.

A good deal of further hunting leads me to the same 2.09 update URL,
which still contains no new equation libraries:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL4392/ca-31429-3/HP49Gp_build92_ROM_Update.zip

However, several other sources have been posted for the libs,
so go there and get them -- again, this is a one-time-only activity,
to bring your 49G+ up to the same software level as the 50G.

[r->] [OFF]

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Aug 17, 2006, 9:10:55 AM8/17/06
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:47:33 -0500, VPN wrote:
>
>> The 49g+ [old] upgrades [e.g. 2.06] wiped out a user flash bank
>
> No more -- that was only up to [unofficial] 2.06 version for 49G+

Yes, but I was afraid that
HPQ would retard back to old style upgrade
when people ask about the Equation libs

John H Meyers

Aug 17, 2006, 4:30:20 PM8/17/06
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:10:55 -0500, VPN wrote:

> I was afraid that HPQ would retard back to old style upgrade
> when people ask about the Equation libs

It had (back then) been deemed necessary to package in that way,
but various people who ought to know have said
that the libs can now be (and will be) included separately, E.g.:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/86a400340ea411d0
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/be82f4042688f3d6

But perhaps you're right -- I can see some way higher-up manager
coming in and generating his/her own ROM update :)

[r->] [OFF]

Aug 20, 2006, 9:21:02 PM8/20/06

Many thanks to Jean-Yves for the Equation Libraries. I know they are
for an HP50g or an HP49g+, but could they be used with an HP49g( NOT
plus) with ROM 1.19-6? It would seem that if they are "stand-alone"
libraries, that they might work on an HP49g unless there are other
compatibility problems. Thanks for any help.
GC

Jean-Yves Avenard

Aug 20, 2006, 11:24:08 PM8/20/06
g wrote:
> Many thanks to Jean-Yves for the Equation Libraries. I know they are
> for an HP50g or an HP49g+, but could they be used with an HP49g( NOT
> plus) with ROM 1.19-6? It would seem that if they are "stand-alone"
> libraries, that they might work on an HP49g unless there are other
> compatibility problems. Thanks for any help.

Yes, they will work.

You should upgrade your HP49G to a later ROM though ...
(the 2.09 ROM provided with Emu49 will work on the original HP49G
provided you can extract it)

Jean-Yves

paul.e...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2006, 11:12:07 PM8/21/06

> Yes, they will work.
>
> You should upgrade your HP49G to a later ROM though ...
> (the 2.09 ROM provided with Emu49 will work on the original HP49G
> provided you can extract it)
>
> Jean-Yves

Hello Jean Yves, how can we do that?

Paul Estepan

andreas_mo...@gmx.de

Aug 22, 2006, 4:00:31 AM8/22/06
Hello,

just copy ROMG+.49G (the ROM-file for an emulated 49G+) to ROM.49G (the
ROM-file for an emulated 49G) in your emu48 directory.

Emulate an 49G (type VERSION and you´ll notice that your emulated 49G
now has the latest ROM),
make sure you activated the serial port in EMU48, plug in your cable
and run ROMUPLOAD.

Follow the update procedure and voilà: a 49G with ROM 2.09.

Greetings
Andreas

Jean-Yves Avenard

Aug 23, 2006, 10:26:48 AM8/23/06
andreas_mo...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just copy ROMG+.49G (the ROM-file for an emulated 49G+) to ROM.49G (the
> ROM-file for an emulated 49G) in your emu48 directory.
You can't use a 49G+ ROM in a 49G ... As it uses some of the new opcodes
only available on the emulated Saturn CPU

> Emulate an 49G (type VERSION and you´ll notice that your emulated 49G
> now has the latest ROM),
> make sure you activated the serial port in EMU48, plug in your cable
> and run ROMUPLOAD.
ROMUPLOAD will not work on newer ROM

> Follow the update procedure and voilą: a 49G with ROM 2.09.

Did you actually try this ?

andreas_mo...@gmx.de

Aug 23, 2006, 11:39:19 AM8/23/06
Yes, I did and transfered ROM 2.01 it to my old 49G.
ROMPUPLOAD only checks the machine it is running on (look in the
source, don´t know if they now change it for the next update).
::
CK0
IsApple_
case
::
"Not Available"
TOTEMPOB
PTR 13BEFŽDO$EXIT
;
DOCLLCD
TURNMENUOFF
"Current version:"
BIGDISPROW1
xVERSION
DROP
.
.
.
;

See: HP49B-2.05-4 Emulator ROM?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/c10e4087f82da220/fd29a916920dd21c?lnk=gst&q=romupload+andreas&rnum=1#fd29a916920dd21c

And just checked it before I send this message with emu48 1.40+
emulating a 49G with ROM 2.09, but didn´t transfered it ´cause I´m
having no 49G around here at the moment.

Greetings
Andreas

> > Follow the update procedure and voilà: a 49G with ROM 2.09.

paul.e...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2006, 12:30:54 PM8/23/06

andreas_mo...@gmx.de ha escrito:

Thank you, i have now a 49 version 2.09, it shows hp48c-2.09, cool.

Paul

James M. Prange

Aug 23, 2006, 9:58:08 PM8/23/06
cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
> hello,
>
> I appologize, it was my fault. the previsous versions of the equation
> library were specific to a certain ROM version and this is why they do not
> work with ROM 92.
>
> Thanks to the hard working hads behing the scene, we now have updated
> versions of these files, which should be available as part of the ROM update
> package within a couple of days (it takes time to post them on the web,
> don't ask me why, it's the say it is).

The new zip file which includes libraries 226 and 227 and revised
instructions is available on the HP site now.

A URL for the download and instuction page is:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ca-31429-4&product=351775&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

A URL for the zip file itself is:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL4392/ca-31429-4/HP49Gp_build92_ROM_Update.zip

Thanks, Cyrille and everyone else involved.

The libraries are the same as those from previously posted sources
for these libraries compatible with the 50g and ROM revision 2.09
for the 49g+.

Information from the BYTES command:

Library 226:
# FF37h
57496.5

Library 227:
# 34B4h
11307.

Of course, there's no need to download and install the libraries
if those are what you already have.

I do have some minor criticisms though.

First off, the zip file includes a file "readme_zip.rtf", which my
system opens just fine using MS Word, but I wonder whether
everyone is able to easily read this "rich text format" file.
Would it be better to use a "plain text" file which could be read
with even a text editor?

Second, the instructions make it look to me as the libraries need
to be replaced no matter which model and ROM revision one is
updating from. Perhaps it would be better to write that the
libraries need to be replaced when updating from ROM revisions
lower than 2.08? On the other hand, replacing the libraries is
easy enough and won't do any harm.

<snip>

--
Regards,
James

Heiko Arnemann

Aug 24, 2006, 4:07:18 PM8/24/06
<andreas_mo...@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello,

just copy ROMG+.49G (the ROM-file for an emulated 49G+) to ROM.49G (the
ROM-file for an emulated 49G) in your emu48 directory.

Emulate an 49G (type VERSION and you´ll notice that your emulated 49G
now has the latest ROM),
make sure you activated the serial port in EMU48, plug in your cable
and run ROMUPLOAD.

Follow the update procedure and voilà: a 49G with ROM 2.09.

Danke Andreas,
ich habe meinen HP 49G auf ROM 2.09 und bin gespannt,
welche Programme, die eigentlich für den 49g+ geschrieben wurden,
nun auch auf dem 49G laufen :-)

Es ist eine Schande, dass HP kein ROM-update für den
49G bietet. Saftladen!

Grüße
Heiko

John H Meyers

Aug 26, 2006, 4:48:27 AM8/26/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:58:08 -0500, James M. Prange wrote:

> The new zip file which includes libraries 226 and 227 and revised
> instructions is available on the HP site now.

> I do have some minor criticisms.

> First off, the zip file includes a file "readme_zip.rtf",
> which my system opens just fine using MS Word

Or Windows "WordPad," or even the built-in viewer in WinZip!
(I don't know what Mac/Linux people need, but I hope they have it)

> Would it be better to use a "plain text" file
> which could be read with even a text editor?

Maybe as an additional version (or how about html?),
since they probably want it to look nicer
for anyone who can possibly read formatted text.

By the way, the newly added section about the Eq Libs
seems to be a bit messed up re fonts/formatting.

> Second, the instructions make it look to me as the libraries
> need to be replaced no matter which model and ROM revision
> one is updating from.

That struck me too -- why frighten
("you MUST update, as the old version can cause memory lost")
people who started from HP50G,
who don't really need to do anything more?

This same instruction text will probably accompany future versions
as well, and Eq lib updating is only needed once, so it could say
that it's necessary only for HP49G+ which have not already copied
these files, or calcs having re-installed any older ROM versions.

Well, maybe it's all dictated by paranoid lawyers
who have no idea about the actual product -- after all,
my "geri" shampoo comes with an insert which says "you MUST
scrub your entire head for ten minutes, to clear every pore
of your scalp, or what's left of your hair may be lost."

[r->] [OFF]

franks

Aug 27, 2006, 5:33:40 AM8/27/06

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Again: make sure you delete the two libraries before you update the ROM
> and install the new ones instead.

Sir: the instructions for updating the OS to 2.09 that come with the
zip file from HP give the instructions for updating the equation
libraries after the instructions for updating the ROM. Does your advice
mean that the order of update is CRITICAL?

~thanks from franks

franks

Aug 27, 2006, 5:03:51 PM8/27/06

James M. Prange

Aug 28, 2006, 7:16:07 AM8/28/06
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> andreas_mo...@gmx.de wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> just copy ROMG+.49G (the ROM-file for an emulated 49G+) to ROM.49G (the
>> ROM-file for an emulated 49G) in your emu48 directory.

Or what seems to work just as well, change one line in your .kml
file (R49G1024.kml or R49G800.kml, whichever you use) from:
Rom "ROM.49G"
to:
Rom "ROMG+.49G"

One thing that I notice with the emulator is that a "FullROM"
self-test fails:

From Fail
Object with bad CRC
Bank 1

Does anyone know what that's all about?

Also, with the ROMG+.49G ROM loaded from the R49G1024.kml script,
the VERSION command returns:

"Version HP48-C
Revision #2.09"
"Copyright HP 2006"

instead of the:

"Version HP49-C
Revision #2.09"
"Copyright HP 2006"

that one might expect. But as far as I've noticed, it does indeed
seem to work.

> You can't use a 49G+ ROM in a 49G ... As it uses some of the new opcodes
> only available on the emulated Saturn CPU

Okay, but as I understand it, Emu48 emulates (among other things)
the "hardware Saturn processor", not the "Saturn+" processor as on
a real 49g+ or 50g, so the 49g+ and 50g ROMs for Emu48 must be
tweaked back to using the older opcodes, which should work on a
49G. Or do I have some misconceptions about these things?

>> Emulate an 49G (type VERSION and you'll notice that your emulated 49G
>> now has the latest ROM),
>> make sure you activated the serial port in EMU48, plug in your cable
>> and run ROMUPLOAD.

One strange thing about it is that where I normally expect a "The
system may not be installed. Please go to 'Download Pack' menu."
message, I get some sort of "Bad CRC" message instead. The FullROM
system test fails and VERSION is a bit strange, as in Emu48, but
it seems to work on a real 49G.

> ROMUPLOAD will not work on newer ROM

To be sure, it doesn't work on the real 49g+, but it does work
when running the newer ROM on an emulated 49G.

I tried it, with the above results. You wrote:

> You should upgrade your HP49G to a later ROM though ...
> (the 2.09 ROM provided with Emu49 will work on the original HP49G
> provided you can extract it)

If you have a better way to extract the 2.09 ROM to work on a real
49G, then I'd certainly be glad to read it.

--
Regards,
James

John H Meyers

Aug 28, 2006, 1:54:33 PM8/28/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 04:33:40 -0500, frank wrote:

> the instructions for updating the OS to 2.09 that come with the
> zip file from HP give the instructions for updating the equation
> libraries after the instructions for updating the ROM.
> Does your advice mean that the order of update is CRITICAL?

For an HP50G it can make no difference no matter what you do,
because the libraries to replace
and the libraries in the ROM update package are identical
(replacing the libraries isn't really necessary for HP50G).

For an HP49G+ it also makes no difference, as long as
you don't attempt to USE the [older, obsoleted] equation libraries
*between* the "update ROM using .bin file" and "copy Eq Libs" steps.

The ROM update (.bin file) and Eq Libs are stored in different places,
and don't in any way overwrite each other, so 49G+ owners should just
be sure to replace all of them before using the calc further.

Also, 49G+ owners need only replace the *old* Eq libs once;
the latest Eq libraries were updated to completely eliminate
ROM version dependencies (reportedly tested with 1.19 thru 2.09),
so once you've fixed that, it remains fixed, and any future
ROM updates will not need another round of Eq Libs replacement,
unless some desirable enhancement to the libs comes along.

[r->] [OFF]

John H Meyers

Aug 28, 2006, 5:30:04 PM8/28/06
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:16:07 -0500, James M. Prange wrote:

> One thing that I notice with the emulator is that a "FullROM"
> self-test fails:
>
> From Fail
> Object with bad CRC
> Bank 1
>
> Does anyone know what that's all about?

Any ROM "patches" applied via Emu48/49 will do that;
remove patches (e.g. "beep.49") before transferring ROM.

The 49G+ ROM 2.09 *file* in Debug4x may also have been patched
(I don't know exactly where or why, or whether that upset the CRC).

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Aug 28, 2006, 7:42:05 PM8/28/06
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:16:07 -0500, James M. Prange wrote:
>
>> One thing that I notice with the emulator is that a "FullROM"
>> self-test fails:
>>
>> From Fail
>> Object with bad CRC
>> Bank 1
>>
>> Does anyone know what that's all about?
>
> Any ROM "patches" applied via Emu48/49 will do that;
> remove patches (e.g. "beep.49") before transferring ROM.

Thanks, John, that does make sense. But even without any Patch
lines in their .kml files, the emulators for the 49G, 49g+, 48gII,
and 50g all fail the FullROM test this way.

The emulator for the 48GX shows a failure in the ON&E test with
the Patch line in its .kml file, but not if I delete that line.

> The 49G+ ROM 2.09 *file* in Debug4x may also have been patched
> (I don't know exactly where or why, or whether that upset the CRC).

For the 49 series, that seems to me to be the most likely
explanation. I have no idea where either, but I suspect that the
"why" would be mostly to replace any new "Saturn+" opcodes with
old "hardware Saturn" opcodes to run on Emu48. Of course, changing
anything in a particular bank would be very likely to change its
CRC, and I expect that the CRC itself would be stored in the bank.
So if someone patched a bank without also storing the new
corresponding CRC, we can expect such a test failure. Perhaps the
FullROM test stops at the first failure, so I see a failure only
for Bank 1.

--
Regards,
James

John H Meyers

Aug 29, 2006, 12:02:12 AM8/29/06
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:42:05 -0500, James M. Prange wrote:

> The emulator for the 48GX shows a failure in the ON&E test with
> the Patch line in its .kml file, but not if I delete that line.

Green light!

> even without any Patch lines in their .kml files,
> the emulators for the 49G, 49g+, 48gII,

> and 50g all fail the FullROM test.

TILT! [a red "you lose" indicator from old pinball machines]

Oh well, it's only an emulator (real 49G+/50G is fine).

[r->] [OFF]

William Graves

Aug 29, 2006, 11:36:53 AM8/29/06
Well it looks like I made some errors with the BEEP patch. I had some old
kml files that invoked the patch for the 49G+ and 48Gii emulations in
Debug4x. This was not correct. Unfortunately this patches the emulated ROM
files and for some reason EMU48 does not change the dates when the ROM file
is updated (I have sen a separate email to Christoph to enquire about this).

The next release of Debug4x will have unpatched ROM files for the 49G+ and
48Gii and clean ROM files for the the 49G+, 48Gii and 49G (but still patch
the make beep entry for the 49G).

Thanks to John Meyers for the research and email that clarified the problem
for me.
(John I sent separate email direct but the address bounces).
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!
bgr...@ix.netcom.com

John H Meyers

Aug 29, 2006, 5:43:21 PM8/29/06
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:36:53 -0500:

> email direct [to JHM] bounces.

Please accept my apologies; unfortunately,
domain "nomail.invalid" refuses to forward my mail
back to the domain in my "Organization" header :)

Thank you very much for Debug4x.

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Aug 30, 2006, 8:09:22 AM8/30/06

And as far as I've noticed, it seems to work just fine, even
though the FullROM test indicates a "Bad CRC".

--
Regards,
James

James M. Prange

Aug 30, 2006, 8:18:51 AM8/30/06
William Graves wrote:
> Well it looks like I made some errors with the BEEP patch. I had some old
> kml files that invoked the patch for the 49G+ and 48Gii emulations in
> Debug4x. This was not correct. Unfortunately this patches the emulated ROM
> files and for some reason EMU48 does not change the dates when the ROM file
> is updated (I have sen a separate email to Christoph to enquire about this).
>
> The next release of Debug4x will have unpatched ROM files for the 49G+ and
> 48Gii and clean ROM files for the the 49G+, 48Gii and 49G (but still patch
> the make beep entry for the 49G).

Thanks, Bill!

> Thanks to John Meyers for the research and email that clarified the problem
> for me.

I second that!

> (John I sent separate email direct but the address bounces).

--
Regards,
James

John H Meyers

Aug 30, 2006, 12:19:00 PM8/30/06
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:09:22 -0500:

>> Oh well, it's only an emulator (real 49G+/50G is fine).

> And as far as I've noticed, it seems to work just fine,
> even though the FullROM test indicates a "Bad CRC".

The patch is almost certainly bad (wrong address, too),
so it could be a case of "I shot an arrow into the air,
and whether it will come back to hit me, I know not where" :)

It might be better to wait for a correction,
but of course there's also the other side:
"he who hesitates misses lunch" :)

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Sep 1, 2006, 11:28:56 PM9/1/06
Trying this with Debug4x Build 87, after modifying a .kml file for
the 49G to remark out the
Rom "ROM.49G"
Patch "BEEP.49G"
lines and insert a
Rom "ROMG+.49G"
line, it passes all ROM and RAM tests. But there's still the
anomaly of the VERSION command returning:

"Version HP48-C
Revision #2.09"
"Copyright HP 2006"
instead of the:
"Version HP49-C
Revision #2.09"
"Copyright HP 2006"
that one might expect.

I used the ROMUPLOAD command on the emulator to transfer it to a
real 49G, and it's the same there; as far as I've noticed (but
I've done very little testing), it works fine, except for that
glitch from the VERSION command.

By the way, the strange result from VERSION caused me to wonder
whether it would use the correct header for binary transferred
file. It does indeed send a file out with an HPHP49-C header, and
it successfully receives the same file.

Remember that if you use the Equation Library, old (before
revision #2.08) libraries 226 and 227 in port 2 should be replaced
with the current libraries.

Of course, since HP (or anyone else, for that matter) didn't
release this ROM for the 49G, we can't very well expect them to
encourage or support this usage. Do this at your own risk.

But maybe HP could officially release a new ROM update for the
49G? Yes, I know that it's a "retired model", but I suppose that
there are still a lot of 49Gs out there that still work as good as
when they were new. Note that the last official ROM for the 49G is
revision 1.18, and a lot of unofficial bug fixes and enhancements
have been made since then. It seems to me that the fact of a ROM
designed to emulate the 49g+ and 50g working as well as it does
for the 49G demonstrates that it could be done without much added
development. Why not support the 49G with a new official ROM
update?

--
Regards,
James

John H Meyers

Sep 5, 2006, 1:59:13 PM9/5/06
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:28:56 -0500, James M. Prange wrote:

> anomaly of the VERSION command returning HP48

Just like a HP48Gii, on which everything runs just as well,
so no need to worry about it at all!

[r->] [OFF]

James M. Prange

Sep 5, 2006, 4:13:21 PM9/5/06

Agreed, no need to worry, it was just a bit surprising was all.

Checking the VERSION command in ROM 2.09 with Nosy, the code
snippet that checks the hardware model looks like this:

IsBigApple_
ITE
::
PTR 2F3C7 (new IsAppleV2_ entry mentioned by JYA in a different thread)
ITE
BINT50
BINT49
;
BINT48

So it starts with the assumption that it's running on an ARM-based
model, which is quite reasonable because that's what this ROM is
designed for. Given that assumption, since it isn't a BigApple
(50g or 49g+), logically it must be a 48gII.

I haven't noted anything else strange about using this ROM on the
49G though. For example, it doesn't give me a choice to transfer
or print via IR, so it seems to do okay in detecting what this
hardware is capable of.

--
Regards,
James