Is???Apple_ for 50g?

James M. Prange

Sep 4, 2006, 10:52:01 AM9/4/06
We have an IsApple_ entry point for a program to ask whether it's
running on a ARM-based calculator, an IsBigApple_ to check whether
it's a 49g+, and an IsMidApple_ to ask whether it's a 48gII.

I wonder we'll have another to ask whether it's a 50g. Or maybe
there is an entry for that that I just don't see. Of course, if
IsApple_ returns TRUE, and IsMidApple_ and IsBigApple_ both return
FALSE, then I suppose that it must be a 50g by process of
elimination.

By the way, I believe that the "_" at the end of these names
indicates that they're unsupported. I wonder whether these and,
for example, the new "Saturn+" opcodes will ever have a
"supported" status.

--
Regards,
James

Jean-Yves Avenard

Sep 4, 2006, 12:19:29 PM9/4/06
James M. Prange wrote:
> We have an IsApple_ entry point for a program to ask whether it's
> running on a ARM-based calculator, an IsBigApple_ to check whether
> it's a 49g+, and an IsMidApple_ to ask whether it's a 48gII.
>
> I wonder we'll have another to ask whether it's a 50g. Or maybe
> there is an entry for that that I just don't see. Of course, if
> IsApple_ returns TRUE, and IsMidApple_ and IsBigApple_ both return
> FALSE, then I suppose that it must be a 50g by process of
> elimination.
IsApple means it's a ARM based machine
IsBigApple means it's a 49g+ or 50g
IsMidApple means it's a 48GII

You have a new stable entry point:
=IsAppleV2 EQU #2F3C7

IsAppleV2 means it has a serial port, 4 batteries etc.. This is true for
the 50g and the new 48gii (with a serial port)

will return TRUE on a HP50g. It exists since ROM version 2.0, on earlier
machine it would do strictly nothing... so you can use this entry points
on all calculators since the first release 1.05 provided you test if it
returns anything.

JY

Joe Horn

Sep 4, 2006, 1:28:13 PM9/4/06
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> You have a new stable entry point:
> =IsAppleV2 EQU #2F3C7

Is an up-to-date version of the "extable" library available? The only
ones I know of are ancient. Thanks in advance!

-Joe-

James M. Prange

Sep 4, 2006, 4:35:37 PM9/4/06
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> James M. Prange wrote:
>> We have an IsApple_ entry point for a program to ask whether it's
>> running on a ARM-based calculator, an IsBigApple_ to check whether
>> it's a 49g+, and an IsMidApple_ to ask whether it's a 48gII.
>>
>> I wonder we'll have another to ask whether it's a 50g. Or maybe
>> there is an entry for that that I just don't see. Of course, if
>> IsApple_ returns TRUE, and IsMidApple_ and IsBigApple_ both return
>> FALSE, then I suppose that it must be a 50g by process of
>> elimination.
> IsApple means it's a ARM based machine
> IsBigApple means it's a 49g+ or 50g

Thanks for clarifying that point.

> IsMidApple means it's a 48GII

Hmm... Are these tests available in *all* 48gII, 49g+, and 50g ROM
revisions, right back to the initial releases?

I know that they aren't in all 49G revisions, but I know how to
check whether or not it's an ARM-based model with assembly code
(regardless of the ROM revision).

> You have a new stable entry point:
> =IsAppleV2 EQU #2F3C7

Ah, I noticed that in the code for the VERSION command. Thank you!

> IsAppleV2 means it has a serial port, 4 batteries etc.. This is true for
> the 50g and the new 48gii (with a serial port)

Okay, serial port, but not 4 batteries if a 48gII has it, although
I don't know which ROMs a 48gII may have.

> will return TRUE on a HP50g. It exists since ROM version 2.0, on earlier
> machine it would do strictly nothing...

And presumably FALSE from any 49G or 49g+ or TRUE from any 48gII
with a ROM of at least 2.0?

--
Regards,
James

Jean-Yves Avenard

Sep 4, 2006, 7:43:40 PM9/4/06
Hello James.

James M. Prange wrote:

> Hmm... Are these tests available in *all* 48gII, 49g+, and 50g ROM
> revisions, right back to the initial releases?

unfortunately not, it was introduced with the first 49g+ (ROM 1.20 I
believe)

That's why you need a bit of ML to test if you're running on an ARM
based calculator

> Okay, serial port, but not 4 batteries if a 48gII has it, although
> I don't know which ROMs a 48gII may have.

no I think the new 48gii also has 4 batteries (and flash!)

> And presumably FALSE from any 49G or 49g+ or TRUE from any 48gII
> with a ROM of at least 2.0?

no, it doesn't depend on which ROM version you have but what hardware
you're using.
So IsAppleV2 will return TRUE on a 50g, always return FALSE on a 49g+
and depending on which version of the 48GII TRUE or FALSE

Jean-Yves

Jean-Yves Avenard

Sep 4, 2006, 7:50:57 PM9/4/06
Joe Horn wrote:
> Is an up-to-date version of the "extable" library available? The only
> ones I know of are ancient. Thanks in advance!
I don't think so.

I have an updated SUPROM49.a ...
I will tidy it up and put it on the hydrix web site (Same place where
you find the equation library)

JY

James M. Prange

Sep 4, 2006, 10:37:31 PM9/4/06
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hello James.
>
> James M. Prange wrote:
>> Hmm... Are these tests available in *all* 48gII, 49g+, and 50g ROM
>> revisions, right back to the initial releases?
> unfortunately not, it was introduced with the first 49g+ (ROM 1.20 I
> believe)

Umm, so there may be some 48gIIs with ROMs that don't have these
IsApple_, IsMidApple_, and IsBigApple_ entries?

> That's why you need a bit of ML to test if you're running on an ARM
> based calculator

To distinguish it from a 49G or 48 series, I know, but will those
entries ever fail on any ARM-based model?

>> Okay, serial port, but not 4 batteries if a 48gII has it, although
>> I don't know which ROMs a 48gII may have.
> no I think the new 48gii also has 4 batteries (and flash!)

What, a "new 48gII"? Maybe to match the 50g? If so, will it still
be called a 48gII, or will it get a new name? How will it differ
from the current 48gII, 49g+, and 50g?

I'm surprised that Veli-Pekka hasn't mentioned this (or if he did,
then I just didn't pay any attention to him).

Perhaps "50g-" would be a good name?

>> And presumably FALSE from any 49G or 49g+ or TRUE from any 48gII
>> with a ROM of at least 2.0?
>
> no, it doesn't depend on which ROM version you have but what hardware
> you're using.
> So IsAppleV2 will return TRUE on a 50g, always return FALSE on a 49g+

Oh, I thought that you wrote that the new IsAppleV2 entry point
was introduced at revision 2.0?

> and depending on which version of the 48GII TRUE or FALSE

So maybe the "new 48gII" doesn't have a serial port? Perhaps the
serial port will be replaced by a USB port?

That would make sense a lot more sense than the original 48gII and
49g+ scheme. Have only USB and IrDA ports on the "low-cost" model,
and serial as well as USB and IrDA on the "professional" 50g
model.

Or is there some other difference in hardware versions of the
48gII that I'm not aware of?

--
Regards,
James

Jean-Yves Avenard

Sep 5, 2006, 1:10:27 AM9/5/06
Hi

James M. Prange wrote:

> Umm, so there may be some 48gIIs with ROMs that don't have these
> IsApple_, IsMidApple_, and IsBigApple_ entries?
no...

1.20 was the first official ROM for ARM based machine...
So there can't be any 48gii without those entries.

> What, a "new 48gII"? Maybe to match the 50g? If so, will it still
> be called a 48gII, or will it get a new name? How will it differ
> from the current 48gII, 49g+, and 50g?

that I don't know, in which case I already said too much

> Oh, I thought that you wrote that the new IsAppleV2 entry point
> was introduced at revision 2.0?

yes, that's whay I wrote.
IsAppleV2 works since 2.0, before that this entry point did nothing (NOP)

> So maybe the "new 48gII" doesn't have a serial port? Perhaps the
> serial port will be replaced by a USB port?

and *maybe* it will have both

> That would make sense a lot more sense than the original 48gII and
> 49g+ scheme. Have only USB and IrDA ports on the "low-cost" model,
> and serial as well as USB and IrDA on the "professional" 50g
> model.

having serial doesn't add much to the price of the unit, just the price
of the connector as the reason it's not a compliant RS232 is because it
comes straight from the CPU

JY

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Sep 5, 2006, 5:13:50 AM9/5/06

hpcalc.org, please
AND
whose is gonna update extable2, SDIAG, etc

James M. Prange

Sep 5, 2006, 9:30:14 AM9/5/06
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
> James M. Prange wrote:
>> Umm, so there may be some 48gIIs with ROMs that don't have these
>> IsApple_, IsMidApple_, and IsBigApple_ entries?
> no...
>
> 1.20 was the first official ROM for ARM based machine...
> So there can't be any 48gii without those entries.

Excellent!

>> Oh, I thought that you wrote that the new IsAppleV2 entry point
>> was introduced at revision 2.0?
> yes, that's whay I wrote.
> IsAppleV2 works since 2.0, before that this entry point did nothing (NOP)

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you on that last point. I
decided that the experimental method would be my best bet, so I
compiled the program:

"
!NO CODE
!RPL
::
PTR 2F3C7 (IsAppleV2_)
;
@"

On my 49g+ with ROM 2.09 (Build 92), it promptly returns FALSE, as
expected.

Then I flashed the 49g+ ROM with revision 1.22, and the same
program stayed busy for a long time, until I did an ON&C
warmstart.

With ROM 1.23 (Build 19) (unofficial?), it seems to behave the
same as with 1.22.

With ROM 1.23 (Build 31), it seems to behave the same as with
1.22.

With ROM 2.00 (Build 50), the program promptly returned TRUE.

With ROM 2.01-2 (Build 80), the program promptly returned FALSE.

With ROM 2.01 (Build 83) (unofficial), the program promptly
returned FALSE.

With ROM 2.05-4 (Build 88) (unofficial), the program promptly
returned FALSE.

With ROM 2.06 (Build 88) (unofficial), the program promptly
returned FALSE.

With ROM 2.09 (Build 92), the program promptly returned FALSE.

So I think that it's doing *something* in ROMs 1.22 through 2.00,
and definitely not what we'd want.

It seems to me that this new entry point isn't really safe to use
without first verifying that the ROM revision is at least 2.01.
That said, it should be fine to use with all 50g ROMs (assuming
that nobody tries an earlier 49g+ ROM on a 50g).

> having serial doesn't add much to the price of the unit, just the price
> of the connector as the reason it's not a compliant RS232 is because it
> comes straight from the CPU

I agree. That's one of the reasons why it's so annoying that HP
didn't include a serial port on the 49g+.

I would prefer that it were compliant (or at least compatible)
with RS-232 on the 50g, but considering how few would be likely to
use it, I think that leaving the signals at the 0V/3.3V levels is
a reasonable decision.

--
Regards,
James

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Sep 5, 2006, 9:39:32 AM9/5/06
James M. Prange wrote:

> With ROM 2.00 (Build 50), the program promptly returned TRUE.

here were the new ARM keywords introduced
ARM->
POKEARM
PEEKARM

But is there anything else new elsewhere?
Any new hidden libraries?

I'm trying to update my Excel file on the commands....

Wes

Sep 6, 2006, 3:58:25 PM9/6/06
James M. Prange wrote:
> > no I think the new 48gii also has 4 batteries (and flash!)
>
> What, a "new 48gII"? Maybe to match the 50g? If so, will it still
> be called a 48gII, or will it get a new name? How will it differ
> from the current 48gII, 49g+, and 50g?
>
> I'm surprised that Veli-Pekka hasn't mentioned this (or if he did,
> then I just didn't pay any attention to him).
>
> Perhaps "50g-" would be a good name?

I've always thought that the 48gII would be a great calculator for high
school students who are currently buying the TI-83+/84+. It's cheaper
than the 84+, but with the added CAS and both Alg/RPN, it would be a
great calculator for the price. The one thing that would keep me from
recommending it would be the inability to update the ROM. If it had
flash for ROM updates (and maybe even a little space for programs), it
would be hard to rationalize an 84+ based on features. (Perhaps for
other reasons, but not for features.)

Some time back I was reading the Wikipedia 49g entry
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-49_series) and read the following
about the 48gII

> As early units did not allow ROM updates, a general recall had to be issued when a
> problem with battery life was discovered in early 2004.
(added July 19, 2006)

This implies that later units do allow ROM updates. I did not see any
mention of updatable ROM's on the HP site. Do current units allow ROM
updates, or is this feature connected to the coming flash mentioned
above?

-wes