Low Battery Warning Sign After Replacement?

DVHS.S...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2007, 4:43:07 AM8/1/07
I've recently (3-4 days ago) replaced my batteries when the low
battery warning sign went on with Duracell rechargeable batteries
(fully recharged when I put them in).

However, now the low battery sign is on again. Are the batteries out
already or is it signaling the coin battery? How do I know which one
it is talking about? Should I recharge my batteries again (mabye
because they are new and this is the first time using them?)? Thanks.

Giancarlo

Aug 1, 2007, 5:32:47 AM8/1/07
On 1 Ago, 10:43, "DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com" <DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi.
Please have a look at this recent thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/20c012410537fda9/17b2675488dadafd?lnk=gst&q=low+battery&rnum=5#17b2675488dadafd

and see if you can find some helpful hints there.
Hope this helps.
Best regards.
Giancarlo

DVHS.S...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2007, 10:19:57 AM8/1/07
On Aug 1, 2:32 am, Giancarlo <giancarlo.matti...@indesitcompany.com>
wrote:

> On 1 Ago, 10:43, "DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com" <DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've recently (3-4 days ago) replaced my batteries when the low
> > battery warning sign went on with Duracell rechargeable batteries
> > (fully recharged when I put them in).
>
> > However, now the low battery sign is on again. Are the batteries out
> > already or is it signaling the coin battery? How do I know which one
> > it is talking about? Should I recharge my batteries again (mabye
> > because they are new and this is the first time using them?)? Thanks.
>
> Hi.
> Please have a look at this recent thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/20c012...

> and see if you can find some helpful hints there.
> Hope this helps.
> Best regards.
> Giancarlo

I've just woken up and to my surprise the low battery sign is
gone! ...however, it came back after about 10 minutes. Does anyone
know what is happening here? Should I download the batstatus 1.3 from
http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=batstatus ? Is this program
compatible with the 50g and where can I read a tutorial on how to
download programs into my calculator from my computer? Does it show
the battery status of both the 4 AAA and the coin battery? Thanks.

A.L.

Aug 1, 2007, 10:44:05 AM8/1/07

Depending on type, rechargeable batteries have nominal voltage less
than alkaline 1.5 V. Actuully, even if fully charged to about 1.5V,
voltage drops quickly to about 1.3 V and stays "flat". Use mormal
alkalines instead of rechargeable and see what happens.

See here

http://www.bbma.co.uk/batterytypes.htm

A.L.

mats

Aug 1, 2007, 8:29:22 PM8/1/07
DVHS.S...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2:32 am, Giancarlo <giancarlo.matti...@indesitcompany.com>
> wrote:
>> On 1 Ago, 10:43, "DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com" <DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently (3-4 days ago) replaced my batteries when the low
>>> battery warning sign went on with Duracell rechargeable batteries
>>> (fully recharged when I put them in).
>>> However, now the low battery sign is on again. Are the batteries out
>>> already or is it signaling the coin battery? How do I know which one
>>> it is talking about? Should I recharge my batteries again (mabye
>>> because they are new and this is the first time using them?)? Thanks.
>> Hi.
>> Please have a look at this recent thread:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/20c012...
>>
>> and see if you can find some helpful hints there.
>> Hope this helps.
>> Best regards.
>> Giancarlo
>
> I've just woken up and to my surprise the low battery sign is
> gone! ...however, it came back after about 10 minutes. Does anyone
> know what is happening here?
that's nothing unusual. batteries "recover" from usage only a little bit
but enough for some "Warning Sign" to go on and off.

> Should I download the batstatus 1.3 from
> http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=batstatus ? Is this program
> compatible with the 50g
no (it is compatible but will display "wrong" values).

> and where can I read a tutorial on how to
> download programs into my calculator from my computer?
there's already plenty of info about this on this group or here:
http://www.hpcalc.org/install.php, in an nutshell:
1 install the "Connectivity Kit" (Conn4X) I prefer build 2439 - don't
ask me why ;-) you can get it somewhere from hp.com (it's easy to find,
only about 6 clicks away from http://www.hp.com/calculators )
2 plug in the hp50, install drivers
3 run Conn4x, connect to your calc and use drag&drop!
4* you could download some objects from your calc to the computer in
both binary and text transfer mode and check the differences between the
files on your computer with an editor... you'll get it

> Does it show the battery status of both the 4 AAA and the coin battery?
no. but I read in the user's Guide: "A CR2032 back up battery is
included in the calculator to provide power backup to volatile memory
when changing the main batteries. It is recommended that you replace
this battery every 5 years. A screen message will indicate when this
battery needs replacement." - no worry! :-)
> Thanks.
you're welcome!
and I think there's no need to double post to the MoHPC forum (many
people are reading both). I don't know but this usenet-group seems to be
the better place to ask HP50g related questions

DVHS.S...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2007, 10:57:42 PM8/1/07
On Aug 1, 7:44 am, A.L. <f...@2005.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:43:07 -0000, "DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com"

So are you telling me that I can't use rechargeables without having
the low battery sign appear on and off? How can I fix this problem?
Yes, the Duracell AAA NiMH rechargeables are only 1.2V each and
1000mAh.

Giancarlo

Aug 2, 2007, 2:23:26 AM8/2/07

mats ha scritto:

no worry! :-)
> > Thanks.
> you're welcome!
> and I think there's no need to double post to the MoHPC forum (many
> people are reading both).

Or even triple-posting (considering the HP Support Forum as well)
...let alone all the trouble of creating always new user IDs ;-) (just
kidding!)
Best regards.
Giancarlo

electronguy

Aug 2, 2007, 2:53:02 AM8/2/07
On Aug 1, 1:43 am, "DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com" <DVHS.Stud...@gmail.com>
wrote:

A few questions come to mind, such as how much did you use your
calculator in the past three days, etc., but I'll try to offer a
couple of points.

If the 50g is like the 48GX, when the low battery indicator comes on,
if you turn your calculator off and then on while it still has the
battery low indicator, it should say something like "System Battery
Low" (likely not the exact text; I'm ready for bed and not going to
look up the AUR now--sorry) if the backup battery needs to be
replaced. Otherwise, I think it just responds with "Low Battery" for
the normal AAA batteries.

Like others have said, rechargable batteries typically have a lower
voltage (nominally rated at 1.2V whereas alkalines are nominally rated
at 1.5V). This means, for most purposes, that the batteries will
reach the depleted operating voltage earlier than alkalines.
Depending on current draw from the device being powered, however, one
may get good results from NiCads, etc., due to their low internal
resistance (where alkalines will have a larger voltage drop at higher
current loads when they start getting depleted). It's been my
experience with rechargable batteries that they usually indicate close
to full charge for a long time and then deplete quickly, whereas
alkalines tend to slowly fade away.

I tend to use a fair number of rechargable batteries and invested in a
Maha PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer. It's likely
overkill for many, but it has battery breakin and refresh features
that are useful to me. Also, I can program each battery for the
charge and/or discharge current that I want, so I can taylor the
charger to the battery capacity. Moreover, what the analyzer portion
of the device shows is available capacity for each battery. There may
be a case where you have one battery that's not quite up to par with
the rest of the pack. By performing an analysis on a group of
batteries, one can properly match the capacities to get the most out
of the investment.

Lastly, I've switched to EneLoop batteries by GE/Sanyo. They
supposedly have a long-ish self discharge and (higher?) operating
voltage that approaches alkaline performance. I believe I've read
other threads in this group where low self-discharge NiMH batteries
have been discussed.

Unfortunately, the 50g dosen't seem to have provisions to adjust its
battery monitoring to account for the discharge pattern of rechargable
batteries (my GPS allows me to switch between various battery
chemstries, for example). Since the calculator is expecting a "slow-
ish" discharge from alkaline batteries, and given that most
rechargables deplete quickly, I tend to always keep a set of fresh
batteries with me for a quick change at the university. For finals
week, I use Lithium AA cells.

Regards,
Scott

tiwag

Aug 2, 2007, 3:44:35 AM8/2/07
On 2 Aug., 08:53, electronguy <electrosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For finals week, I use Lithium AA cells.

i wonder how you fit the AA cells into the AAA compartment ;-)

--
tiwag

DVHS.S...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2007, 1:33:22 PM8/2/07

Hmm okay, so I guess it is my 4 AAA batteries that need to be changed.
I haven't used my calculator that much at all for the past 2-3 days. I
would say only about 2-3 hours MAX. Should I recharged them and then
put them back in or what? Will this lower my battery life again?

A.L.

Aug 2, 2007, 1:40:40 PM8/2/07

I am not telling yoy anything else that rechargeable batteries can
have lover voltage than alkaline

A.L.

electronguy

Aug 3, 2007, 8:01:29 PM8/3/07

<grin> They're AAA cells. The AA's go to the GPS :-D

--Scott

mark4...@aol.com

Aug 4, 2007, 6:55:53 AM8/4/07
I have been using Rayovac rechargeable alkaline batteries in all of my
calculators for years without any problems or unusual battery
behavior. They are no longer available so I just ordered their new
hybrid NiMH batteries.

Best of luck.