USB CABLE FOR HP48

Carlos Marangon

Oct 17, 2004, 7:18:31 PM10/17/04
Hello!

How can I make an USB cable (Or at least an adpater to cthe old serial
HP-PC cable) for HP48?

Can anyone help me?

Sincerely,

Carlos

James M. Prange

Oct 18, 2004, 4:35:24 AM10/18/04
Carlos Marangon wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How can I make an USB cable (Or at least an adpater to cthe old serial
> HP-PC cable) for HP48?

Converters are available at a low enough cost that making your own
doesn't make much sense. Try a web search, such as:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=USB+RS232+OR+SERIAL+ADAPTER+OR+CONVERTER&scoring=p

You'd plug the converter into a USB port on your computer, install
a device driver for it into your operating system, plug the DB-9
end of your current HP 48 style cable into the converter, and
access it through a new "USB to Serial" COM port.

Note that older DOS based software such as MS-DOS Kermit may not
be able to access this new port, but the HPComm "Connectivity Kit"
for the 49G also works with all 48 series; see:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?taskID=135&pnameOID=24252&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=384714
The Conn4x "Connectivity Kit" for the 49g+ works with the 48G
series and 49 series. Conn4x is Xmodem based, but with the
addition of the included Xmodem Server library on the 48G series,
it can do "Text" transfers, similar to Kermit "ASCII" transfers;
see:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=351776&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=33568&prodTypeId=215348
I've successfully used both of these applications with my
USB/RS-232 converter.

HyperTerminal can also handle Kermit ASCII or binary and Xmodem
binary transfers, text captures from XMIT and the print (via wire)
commands, text paste to the SRECV command, and of course can be
used as a terminal emulator, but doesn't support the Kermit and
Xmodem servers. For the upgraded HyperTerminal PE 6.3, see:
http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/index.html

> Can anyone help me?

I hope that I helped.

--