WiFi on a dv6000

Bob Villa

May 25, 2010, 7:44:33 PM5/25/10
Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
The wireless switch has no effect.

Thanks for any ideas,
Bob

Ben Myers

May 25, 2010, 8:02:18 PM5/25/10

Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!

Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
later I think.

I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

May 25, 2010, 8:07:06 PM5/25/10

Thanks Ben, you've given me a lot to work on...I will check back!

Bob Villa

May 26, 2010, 7:13:04 AM5/26/10
On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...@charter.net> wrote:

Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it. So they are "ben"ding a little!

bob

Ben Myers

May 26, 2010, 9:20:12 AM5/26/10

Dell has been using Broadcom mini-PCI wifi cards for many years. I've
found them inside Inspiron 5100s, for example... Ben

Bob Villa

May 26, 2010, 6:26:35 PM5/26/10

My point being BroadCom/Linux.

Bob Villa

May 27, 2010, 6:09:19 AM5/27/10
On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...@charter.net> wrote:

The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
try...but it doesn't look good.
This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
solve my problems!).
Thanks,
bob

Ben Myers

May 27, 2010, 9:03:17 PM5/27/10

There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded. Actually,
several. Reliable drivers. For lots of operating systems. Good wifi
range.

Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945? ... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

May 28, 2010, 7:12:18 PM5/28/10

I think I put my time in this one...just going to tell her to use a
WiFi dongle and be done with it.
But thanks much for your time, Ben!
bob

Ben Myers

May 29, 2010, 12:38:53 AM5/29/10

A wifi dongle is an easier solution than replacing an internal card.
Might be less expensive these days, too... Ben Myers

russ...@hvc.rr.com

May 29, 2010, 6:15:24 AM5/29/10
Some Dv6000 had a reflow solder problem.I had the same problem but with the
video circuit also.Went to Utube found a solution.Take motherboard out of
the unit.Find the area of the motherboard where the circuitry for the Wifi
card is located do both front and back of motherboard .Using a Heat Gun (not
a hairdriyer)Hold the heat gun about 3 inches from the area,keep moving gun
to cover the area for about 1 to 2 minutes.This fixed my video and Wifi
problem.
Russ
"Bob Villa" <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bob Villa

May 29, 2010, 10:07:12 AM5/29/10
>Russ wrote:
>Some Dv6000 had a reflow solder problem.I had the same problem but with the
video circuit also.Went to Utube found a solution.Take motherboard
out of
the unit.Find the area of the motherboard where the circuitry for the
Wifi
card is located do both front and back of motherboard .Using a Heat
Gun (not
a hairdriyer)Hold the heat gun about 3 inches from the area,keep
moving gun
to cover the area for about 1 to 2 minutes.This fixed my video and
Wifi
problem.
Russ

Thanks, at least I know! If it was mine...I would, most likely, not
attempt it.

bob