Jim Butterfield

Kimm...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2007, 3:01:02 PM6/30/07
I got a 'no send' request from Jim so I can't bother him with emails.
But I am wondering if anyone has heard anything from him lately.
How his health is and how he is doing.
Would be nice to hear from him and hope he is doing well.

Anyone?

Gil

Amigoat

Jun 30, 2007, 4:22:01 PM6/30/07
I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
passed away.

Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
many parts of his body.

His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.

At the moment that is all the detail that I have to report.

We have all lost a truly wonderful friend and teacher.

Ernie Chorny

Kimm...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2007, 5:39:05 PM6/30/07

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
FUCK!!!!!

:(
:(

Dopple

Jun 30, 2007, 5:51:57 PM6/30/07
God Bless, Jim. I hope the silicon in heaven is as fun to use as the stuff MOS
made. :')

Sam Gillett

Jun 30, 2007, 6:39:01 PM6/30/07

"Amigoat" wrote ...

>I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.
>
> His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
> commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.

If you are in touch with Jim's family, please convey condolences
on behalf of the Commodore community.

> At the moment that is all the detail that I have to report.

Please keep us updated.

> We have all lost a truly wonderful friend and teacher.

He had a gift for giving simple explanations of complex things.
He understood the inner working of CBM hardware better than
those who designed it!
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

silverdr

Jun 30, 2007, 7:16:17 PM6/30/07
Amigoat wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.

:-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Very, very sorry to hear that. I never had the luck to meet him in
person but I still remember, living "behind the Iron curtain" in the
early to mid-eighties and being able to get only some "twentieth hand",
single copies of "Compute!" and Compute!'s Gazette" (grey-imported with
various methods) where his words were shining out with (as already
noticed) simple explanations to complex subjects. Very, very sorry to
know that we won't be reading any new words of him anymore.

Sincere condolences.

rber...@value.net

Jun 30, 2007, 8:00:47 PM6/30/07
Having met Jim several times, I can say that Jim was a generous,
knowledgeable, kindly, humorous man. I will miss his insights and his
friendliness. My condolences to his family. We have lost a great
one.

Sincerely,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group

pablot

Jun 30, 2007, 9:32:13 PM6/30/07
Oh no!, Cannot beleive it.

RIP.

Bogdan Macri

Jun 30, 2007, 10:44:40 PM6/30/07
That is really sad news!!!

He was an inspiration to me when I first started with computers (C64).

RIP Jim!

My condolences to his family.

Regards,
Bogdan

Bogdan Macri - Photography & Consulting

duenorth at ktb dot net

Cameron Kaiser

Jul 1, 2007, 2:11:02 AM7/1/07
rber...@value.net writes:

>Having met Jim several times, I can say that Jim was a generous,
>knowledgeable, kindly, humorous man. I will miss his insights and his
>friendliness. My condolences to his family. We have lost a great
>one.

Yes, indeed.

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

bud

Jul 1, 2007, 2:20:42 AM7/1/07

Group: comp.sys.cbm Date: Sat, Jun 30, 2007, 8:22pm (CDT+5) From:
ech...@gmail.com (Amigoat)

script:

>I regret to advise the Commodore
>community that Jim Butterfield has
>passed away.

Rest In Peace Jimbo. You have been an inspiration, and will continue
so.

Condolences to the family.

salaam,
dowcom

To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

--
http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,… Linux is radar.

la...@portcommodore.com

Jul 1, 2007, 9:57:59 AM7/1/07
>From the early Commodore days when he drafted a memory map to the PET,
Jim had written many useful programs and various helpful articles and
books on Commodore programming, many of which are still used or
referred to even today. Jim Butterfield's has touched all of us
Commodore users.

He not only provided us with much needed help, usually before we knew
we needed it, he also helped shape the Commodore community by
demonstrating that sharing of knowledge helps everyone.

I only got to see him talk for a few minutes at a Commodore show in
87, and during that he was right to the point, wasting no time on
filling our brains with useful knowledge. It would have been nice to
know him personally, but even without out that many of us still call
him friend. I am so glad he was there for us.

Guy Macon

Jul 1, 2007, 11:25:29 AM7/1/07

When I was still a kid, I talked to Jim Butterfield after
he gave a talk at a user group meeting. I told him of my
dream to not just play games and run apps, but to learn
how to program computers and how to design the hardware.
Jim encouraged me and drew up a list of things I should
learn which I kept posted on my wall for years until I had
checked off each item. I came from a rough environment
where pretty much everyone around me ended up being a
criminal or a cop, but I -- thanks to the help of Jim
Butterfield and a few others like him -- became an engineer,
and now there are several million people using products
that I designed. Jim will be sorely missed, but the good
he did will last forever.

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com/>

MagerValp

Jul 1, 2007, 5:39:16 PM7/1/07

A> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
A> many parts of his body.

What a shame. I never had the opportunity to meet him, as he seemed to
hit all the expos that I didn't visit.

Rest in peace.

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare

Andreas Kohlbach

Jul 1, 2007, 6:02:25 PM7/1/07
Amigoat wrote on 30. June 2007:

> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.

:°-(

I didn't hear of him until I read this group. Seems he wasn't that famous
in German. But began I reading about him after the posts about his disease
started here.

He will be missed.
--
Andreas
My Commodore 64 classic game music page at

redrumloa

Jul 1, 2007, 6:41:53 PM7/1/07
On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.

Wow, what a loss! I never met the man personally, but have conversed
online and remember being very young reading his articles. Jim
Butterfield's name is the first one I think of when I think of
computing gurus, he will be missed.

winson19842005

Jul 1, 2007, 6:56:51 PM7/1/07

On 7/1/07 6:41 PM, in article
1183329713.3...@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "redrumloa"
<amig...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

And yet, being a guru, he treated everybody with equal respect.
That is what really came across to me when I exchanged emails with him, even
before I knew who he really was. He wasn't condescending to others. A lesson
to be learned...

May he rest in peace...

Sam Gillett

Jul 1, 2007, 7:01:18 PM7/1/07

"Guy Macon" wrote ...

Guy, your eulogy to Jim Butterfield is the nicest and best that I have read
in this thread. I hope someone will print it out and get it into the hands
of his family.

Jim was an icon in the Commodore community for well over 20 years. May he
rest in peace.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

dspiteri

Jul 1, 2007, 7:01:38 PM7/1/07
Sad news indeed. Jim was fortunate enough to be there during the birth
of computing. As a user he showed us the power and beauty of the PET
architecture and it's descendants, unlocking the secrets of these
intriguing systems.

I still remember his name on Super Slither from when I was a kid,
anyone who's listed that program would know that Jim was a master of
minimalism.

Thirty years on, Jim never stopped teaching and guiding us. Jim is
everyone's buddy and I will really miss him. Jim you gave us all
something precious. Rest well old buddy.

Message has been deleted

I.Gadget

Jul 1, 2007, 8:57:45 PM7/1/07
On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.
>
> His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
> commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.

My sincerest condolences to Jim's family. No doubt that his passing
will be deeply felt
by all that knew him or knew of him.

Jim's lessons have benefited so many for so many years, it's as if we
have lost a member
of our own family. I've spent many late nights with blood shot eyes,
starring at a monitor
well into the wee hours of the morning. just to see what Jim has
wrought with his skillful
yet simple ways.

Of all the commodore individuals I've ever known, he was the
most....<choke>...
Individual.

May he rest in peace, and may God bless.

B.(

xlar54

Jul 1, 2007, 11:40:56 PM7/1/07
I am one of the many unfortunates to never have known Jim in person.
But Jim's work inspired me in so many ways when I was young. To his
family, we thank you. Jim will be missed for a very long time - even
by those of us who never knew him.

God bless.

WinstonS...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2007, 11:45:29 PM7/1/07
Very sad. The loss of Jim Butterfield is a great loss. :( He will
be very missed....

Charles Richmond

Jul 1, 2007, 11:55:28 PM7/1/07
dspiteri wrote:
> Sad news indeed. Jim was fortunate enough to be there during the birth
> of computing. As a user he showed us the power and beauty of the PET
> architecture and it's descendants, unlocking the secrets of these
> intriguing systems.

Many folks were there during the "birth of [personal] computing".
*Not* many of them cast the long shadow that Jim Butterfield did.
He had a *very* large footprint on the Commodore world.

> I still remember his name on Super Slither from when I was a kid,
> anyone who's listed that program would know that Jim was a master of
> minimalism.

He was a master programmer. I enjoyed the Colossal Cave Adventure
he wrote (in Basic) for the Commodore 64. Just to get that to fit
on *one* Commodore 64 floppy disk took great programming skill.

> Thirty years on, Jim never stopped teaching and guiding us. Jim is
> everyone's buddy and I will really miss him. Jim you gave us all
> something precious. Rest well old buddy.

I remember a 6502 assembly language program he published in one
of the Commodore magazines that played music using the sound chip
on the C64. It came with Pachabel's "Canon in D" encoded to play.
Amazing stuff.

ISTM that it's one of the jobs of the Commodore enthusiasts...
to make sure that the programming work Jim Butterfield did is
*never* lost. *No* matter who owns the copyright or how available
any of it is now, someone needs to keep a copy in escrow for the
day when the copyright expires.

I.Gadget

Jul 2, 2007, 11:41:02 AM7/2/07

> > I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> > passed away.

> Of all the commodore individuals I've ever known, he was the
> most....<choke>...
> Individual.

Sorry, I must rephrase. The above line _should have read_, "Of all
the commodore
individuals I've ever _known of_, he was the
> most....<choke>... Individual.

Just to clarify, I did not know Jim Butterfield personally, but am
merely like so many
others that feel as if I know him through his many great teachings.

...To much grey code, at the moment.

I think of Jim as more than just a Guru of ml code, etc... He is truly
an Ambassador of
goodwill. He has been a prime example in more ways than one, not just
computing. His generosity has far outweighed his need to endure, and
yet, because of
that, he has. He didn't ask for more than he felt he needed, and to
my knowledge, he
never became rich financially because of his endeavors. However, in
my mind, he left
this world richer than most millionaires. He died "enriched", and in
so doing, he
enriched us all.

Jim, you'll be missed by many, but still, you'll live on in us all.

Kindest regards to his family.

iGadget

VA3NGC

Jul 3, 2007, 9:24:18 AM7/3/07
It's a sad day when such an important figure in the history of
computers passes away. He inspired a generation to poke and peek
(literally) into their computers. Surley he was the most important
Canadian in the early days of microcomputers. I only hope that CBC
(or one of the other media outlets) does a spot on him as he well
deserves it. I suggest that people email CBC (www.cbc.ca) and let them
know his importance. Perhaps they will put a blurb on him on their
website at least. I am sure that many people who do not read this
newsgroup would appreciate it was well.

Charles...