Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Commodore Vic-20

5 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Craig Taylor

não lida,
1 de abr. de 2007, 22:37:1801/04/2007
para
Wanted to post here as I rescued a Vic-20 earlier today that had a
VicMon cartridge with instruction manual, Vic Programmer's reference
guide, and book Vic Revealed - it has both RF cable and Power Supply.

Before I throw it up on Ebay I wanted to avoid the bid type stuff and
see if anyone wanted it that could really use it on here first. I'm
not a big Vic-20 fan but would be interested in any trade for C64/128
era items.

I'm in North Carolina for those who wish to consider shipping costs
prior to contacting me.

Thanks,

- Craig Taylor
www.ctalkobt.net/cbm

christianlott1

não lida,
2 de abr. de 2007, 00:18:3602/04/2007
para
Hey Craig,

You'll probably get a better offer so I don't mind posting publicly.
$10+ship.

See? Can't avoid the bid wars. Let's hope Lam-chop ain't around, he
might just bid $11 for spite.

http://thedyingearth.serveftp.net:8080/upload/
btw, when you gonna upload those scans?

;)

Christian

winston...@yahoo.com

não lida,
2 de abr. de 2007, 00:56:5702/04/2007
para
On Apr 2, 12:18 am, "christianlott1" <christianlo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey Craig,
>
> You'll probably get a better offer so I don't mind posting publicly.
> $10+ship.
>
> See? Can't avoid the bid wars. Let's hope Lam-chop ain't around, he
> might just bid $11 for spite.

$10.01 + SHIPPING!

Bill H

não lida,
2 de abr. de 2007, 06:20:3602/04/2007
para
On Apr 2, 12:56 am, "winston19842...@yahoo.com"

$10.02 + shipping and a pack of sour gummy worms

Bill H

Craig Taylor

não lida,
2 de abr. de 2007, 09:49:5102/04/2007
para

I really don't want to get into a bidding war. That's why I'm avoiding
Ebay. If I do stick it up on EBay it'll be for $50 with a make offer
suggestion.

I'm posting here so that I can make sure that whomever gets it will
actually use it instead of collecting it and dust rot in a closet or
holding it for resell. EBay's finicky about me having to take the
highest bid. I don't necessarily want to do that.

Let me change the topic: Why would C= enthusiast want a Vic-20 rather
than a C64/C128 et al?

- Craig Taylor
http://www.ctalkobt.net/cbm

christianlott1

não lida,
2 de abr. de 2007, 19:18:1302/04/2007
para
On Apr 2, 8:49 am, "Craig Taylor" <ctalk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me change the topic: Why would C= enthusiast want a Vic-20 rather
> than a C64/C128 et al?

Aw man! outbid again! and you call yourselves friends?

Now for the question ...

Boot up a copy of Rescue at Rigel in vice. It has some of the most
obnoxious and crazy sound effects I'll bet you'll want to keep that
vic instead.

There's something to be enjoyed in all the 8 bits of that era as far
as I'm concerned. I used to think the vic was less cool but after I
played a few games - it's actually pretty cewl.

Christian

Ruud

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 06:26:4203/04/2007
para
Hallo Craig,

> Let me change the topic: Why would C= enthusiast want a Vic-20 rather
> than a C64/C128 et al?

Seen from a hardware point of view, you can do more with a VIC:
- you can replace the 6502 with a 65816
- the onboard buffers simplify a mod so you can address up to 16 MB
- less custom hardware to blow up in case of an error
- 1 KB instead of 512 bytes free memory for hardware expansion

Seen from a software point of view, I prefer the C128.

--

___
/ __|__

larwe

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 07:55:1003/04/2007
para
On Apr 2, 9:49 am, "Craig Taylor" <ctalk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really don't want to get into a bidding war. That's why I'm avoiding
> Ebay. If I do stick it up on EBay it'll be for $50 with

Very unlikely you'd get this. A VIC system in the configuration you
describe typically sells in the $20 ballpark on eBay. Why don't you
look through completed listings?

It might be worth slightly more - at least to me - if it has the old
PET-style keyboard mechanism (flatter, shiny keytops with large
letters vs. the sharply curved, highly textured keycaps with small
printing found on the C64).

> Let me change the topic: Why would C= enthusiast want a Vic-20 rather
> than a C64/C128 et al?

For myself, it is because the VIC-20 is the first computer my family
owned, and I need to ensure that I have enough spare parts to keep a
small set of units operational.

I did not acquire a C64 until much, much later. Similarly, the ZX81 is
special to me because it is the first computer that I had to myself.

Payton Byrd

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 08:49:5203/04/2007
para

"Ruud" <Ruud.Ba...@abp.nl> wrote in message news:1175596002.5...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> Hallo Craig,
>

>> Let me change the topic: Why would C= enthusiast want a Vic-20 rather
>> than a C64/C128 et al?
>
> Seen from a hardware point of view, you can do more with a VIC:
> - you can replace the 6502 with a 65816
> - the onboard buffers simplify a mod so you can address up to 16 MB
> - less custom hardware to blow up in case of an error
> - 1 KB instead of 512 bytes free memory for hardware expansion

Any examples of a 65816 VIC in the wild? Is this something that is easily accomplished? A 16MB 65816 VIC is something I'd add too my collection in a heartbeat.

Brian Ketterling

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 12:49:3503/04/2007
para
In news:1175601310.9...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com,
larwe <zwsd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I need to ensure that I have enough spare parts to keep a

> small set of units operational.

The VIC-I is one chip I'd like to see replicated on an FPGA or whatever --
that's what has always died on my two VICs, apparently when the power supply
was either coming up or shutting down.

Brian
--

Anders Carlsson

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 16:44:4703/04/2007
para
"Payton Byrd" <plb...@bellsouth.no.spam.net> writes:

>> - you can replace the 6502 with a 65816

> Any examples of a 65816 VIC in the wild?

Ruud himself:

http://www.baltissen.org/newhtm/02to816.htm

--
Anders Carlsson

Anders Carlsson

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 16:46:1703/04/2007
para
"Brian Ketterling" <twee...@no-potted-meat-products-peoplepc.com> writes:

> The VIC-I is one chip I'd like to see replicated on an FPGA

In order to do that, the chip needs to be fully documented. Yet
to this day I believe there are undocumented anomalies, of which
some may one day be tamed to have a practical use.

--
Anders Carlsson

DanSolo

não lida,
3 de abr. de 2007, 18:55:1203/04/2007
para

I'd love to give it a home, but I guess shipping to Europe is crazy.

Brian Ketterling

não lida,
4 de abr. de 2007, 05:35:0104/04/2007
para
In news:u7ist5...@sfks.se,
Anders Carlsson <anders....@sfks.se> wrote:

> "Brian Ketterling" <twee...@no-potted-meat-products-peoplepc.com>
> writes:
>
>> The VIC-I is one chip I'd like to see replicated on an FPGA
>
> In order to do that, the chip needs to be fully documented.

And sadly, the VIC-20's VIC-I is probably too much of a niche-within-a-niche
for that to happen. I imagine a fair number of people wish there were a TED
replacement, too.

> Yet
> to this day I believe there are undocumented anomalies, of which
> some may one day be tamed to have a practical use.

I'd like to see more amazing work along the lines of "Veni Vidi VIC!" and
"VIMM" :) .

Brian
--

larwe

não lida,
4 de abr. de 2007, 07:07:0104/04/2007
para
On Apr 3, 6:55 pm, "DanSolo" <daniel.oto...@ucd.ie> wrote:

> > I'm in North Carolina for those who wish to consider shipping costs
>

> I'd love to give it a home, but I guess shipping to Europe is crazy.

Plus the minor detail that the VIC chip is the wrong version for your
local TV system.

larwe

não lida,
4 de abr. de 2007, 09:52:4204/04/2007
para
On Apr 3, 12:49 pm, "Brian Ketterling"

> The VIC-I is one chip I'd like to see replicated on an FPGA or whatever --
> that's what has always died on my two VICs, apparently when the power supply
> was either coming up or shutting down.

I've _never_ had a bad VIC-I, and I have something like 30 VIC-20s.
The VIAs have gone a couple of times (fortunately it's a COTS part),
and I've seen a few bad ROMs.

It would be worth your time to go over the board and replace every
electrolytic capacitor.

Anssi Saari

não lida,
4 de abr. de 2007, 10:32:1804/04/2007
para
Anders Carlsson <anders....@sfks.se> writes:

It doesn't look like he's actually built the 16 MB memory expansion,
though.

DanSolo

não lida,
4 de abr. de 2007, 12:02:1404/04/2007
para

Goshdammit. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find anything here
except 64Cs and C2Ns. If only people would go to their attic more and
the trash less!

RaYzor

não lida,
5 de abr. de 2007, 08:35:5305/04/2007
para

"Bill H" <bi...@ts1000.us> wrote in message

$10.82 AND one of those 1lb Hershey bars

RaYzor

Craig Taylor

não lida,
5 de abr. de 2007, 09:34:3705/04/2007
para
On Apr 5, 8:35 am, "RaYzor" <ray...@no.net.com.welf.org.what.tv.edu>
wrote:
> "Bill H" <b...@ts1000.us> wrote in message

Thanks for everyone's offers but I've decided to keep it after
everyone's praises - that, plus I want to experiment with Vic-I some.

I originally had a Vic-20 but only used it for about 3 months prior to
getting a C64. I remember the 3.5k limit and always thought the C64
was tight on space. It might be fun to work with something really
really tight / see how good my optimization skills are.

New minimum price is $300. <g>

larwe

não lida,
5 de abr. de 2007, 10:06:5405/04/2007
para
On Apr 5, 9:34 am, "Craig Taylor" <ctalk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> was tight on space. It might be fun to work with something really
> really tight / see how good my optimization skills are.

Try a ZX81.

David Murray

não lida,
5 de abr. de 2007, 22:35:2405/04/2007
para

> Try a ZX81.

The problem there is that typing in the ZX81 is a nightmare, and if
you use the RAM expansion, you dare not move the machine an milimeter
or it will lock up.

Incidently.. for the one who asked, a VIC-I chip has been recreated in
FPGA, along with the whole darned VIC-20. However, if you are
wanting a plug-in replacement for your VIC-I chip, that might be a
different story. However, as the whole thing is open-source, it
shouldn't be too hard to extract the VIC-I and mod it up a bit so that
it could work by itself.

Brian Ketterling

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 00:56:2506/04/2007
para
In news:1175826924....@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com,
David Murray <adr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Incidently.. for the one who asked, a VIC-I chip has been recreated in
> FPGA, along with the whole darned VIC-20.

I am... The One Who Asked. (sounds like a golden-age radio chiller!)

Who did it? Is there anything on the Web about it?

> However, if you are
> wanting a plug-in replacement for your VIC-I chip, that might be a
> different story.

That *is* what I'd like: modern plug-in replacements for all the major
(fragile, aging) C= 40-pin chips.

> However, as the whole thing is open-source, it
> shouldn't be too hard to extract the VIC-I and mod it up a bit so that
> it could work by itself.

Unless you're like The One Who Asked -- lacking both the expertise and
equipment :/ .

Brian
--

SbM

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 02:52:1406/04/2007
para
Brian Ketterling <twee...@no-potted-meat-products-peoplepc.com> wrote:

> And sadly, the VIC-20's VIC-I is probably too much of a niche-within-a-niche
> for that to happen. I imagine a fair number of people wish there were a TED
> replacement, too.

I do! And it so happens that one of my friend is exploring FPGA stuff
these days and asked me if full documentation on the TED could be found
somewhere. I told him TEDs were prone to failure and he said he'd like
to investigate replicating it in FPGA form. Pointers, anyone?

BTW, just acquired another C16 yesterday... and it works, too! ;-)
--
[SbM]
<http://sebastienmarty.free.fr> - <http://tradintosh.free.fr>

SbM

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 02:52:1406/04/2007
para
DanSolo <daniel...@ucd.ie> wrote:

You must be joking. You can easily find C128s and other C= models in
Europe (even in France), and the German version of a famous auction site
has hundred of items listed all the time (including 264 series machines,
SX-64's, etc.). Germany was always a huge market for Commodore, after
all.

I don't think I ever purchased any C= stuff located outside of Europe,
and still I have VIC-20s, C64s, C64Cs, C128s, one C128D, plus/4s, C16s
and quite a few calculators in my collection...

larwe

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 07:31:2706/04/2007
para
On Apr 5, 10:35 pm, "David Murray" <adri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Try a ZX81.
>
> The problem there is that typing in the ZX81 is a nightmare, and if
> you use the RAM expansion, you dare not move the machine an milimeter
> or it will lock up.

You exaggerate; I typed hundreds of lines into my ZX81 :)

But anyway, you said you wanted a constrained system - and adding the
expansion would give you 16K, which is exactly what you DON'T want.
Incidentally, you can expand the ZX81 to 16K internally using half a
62256 SRAM; it's a very simple mod and has no stability issues.

christianlott1

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 07:57:0406/04/2007
para
Not to mention, the VIC serial bus goes faster than the C64s.

Craig Taylor

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 10:38:1606/04/2007
para
On Apr 6, 7:57 am, "christianlott1" <christianlo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not to mention, the VIC serial bus goes faster than the C64s.

It's been posted previously but I was surpised to find out that
issuing the Vic-20 mode on the '41, '71, '81 drives for a C64 and
then blanking the screen gave (someone claimed) a 20% speedup. I had
known there was a difference but was surprised it was that much of
one.

Sam Gillett

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 16:29:0006/04/2007
para

"larwe" wrote ...

> On Apr 5, 10:35 pm, "David Murray" <adri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Try a ZX81.
>>
>> The problem there is that typing in the ZX81 is a nightmare, and if
>> you use the RAM expansion, you dare not move the machine an milimeter
>> or it will lock up.
>
> You exaggerate; I typed hundreds of lines into my ZX81 :)

And I typed hundreds of lines on a Timex/Sinclair TS-1000. I had to type
very carefully if I had the RAM expansion pack attached, or I would jar the
machine enough to cause it to lock up, with no way to save what I had typed
already.

A partial solution was frequent saves. A better longterm solution was
replacing the piece of junk with a Commodore!
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

winston...@yahoo.com

não lida,
6 de abr. de 2007, 16:34:3706/04/2007
para
On Apr 1, 10:37 pm, "Craig Taylor" <ctalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wanted to post here as I rescued a Vic-20 earlier today that had a
> VicMon cartridge with instruction manual, Vic Programmer's reference
> guide, and book Vic Revealed - it has both RF cable and Power Supply.
>
> Before I throw it up on Ebay I wanted to avoid the bid type stuff and
> see if anyone wanted it that could really use it on here first. I'm
> not a big Vic-20 fan but would be interested in any trade for C64/128
> era items.
>
> I'm in North Carolina for those who wish to consider shipping costs
> prior to contacting me.

I always wanted one b/c it was ALMOST my first computer. IF the return
key hadn't fallen off when I hit it, IF the TI rep hadn't been such a
HOTTIE, I might just have walked away with a Vic...

Hmm... me wonders if the TI rep had anything to do with the Vic's
return key?

Yes, even Captain Kirk didn't save that sale... he would've fallen for
the hottie...

bud

não lida,
7 de abr. de 2007, 02:39:4207/04/2007
para

Group: comp.sys.cbm Date: Fri, Apr 6, 2007, 4:31am (CDT-2) From:
zwsd...@gmail.com (larwe)

script:

>Incidentally, you can expand the
>ZX81 to 16K internally using half
>a 62256 SRAM; it's a very simple
>mod and has no stability issues.

How difficult is it to hacksaw the SRAM?

((-;

salaam,
dowcom

To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

--
http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,… Linux is radar.

Pasi Ojala

não lida,
8 de abr. de 2007, 04:56:2308/04/2007
para
On 2007-04-04, Brian Ketterling <twee...@no-potted-meat-products-peoplepc.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see more amazing work along the lines of "Veni Vidi VIC!" and
> "VIMM" :) .

Checked out "VIMMII" ?:-) (Btw, a NTSC version is now also available.)

-Pasi
--
"Come what may, Delenn, I will not leave you while I am still alive."
-- Lennier to Delenn in Babylon 5:"All Alone in the Night"

0 nova mensagem