uIEC update (pricing info)

Jim Brain

Jun 23, 2008, 2:00:50 AM6/23/08
I apologize for the delay, but I know people wanted pricing, and I was
busy writing code. However, since I am hoping to sell units at the C4
EXPO coming up this weekend, I had put pricing off for too long.

Thus, here goes:

uIEC will be offered in 2 flavors:

The base uIEC offering will include a CompactFlash slot and an IDE drive
header. It also includes an expansion port (as yet unused for
anything, but it's configured to match the pinout of parallel driver
speeders like ProfessionalDOS/RapiDOS Pro.) and a future option for
external drive RAM. It includes an onboard IEC connector.

The uIEC/CF is a slimmed-down version of the above unit that offers only
the CF connector and drive LEDs. No IDE, expansion port, or external
RAM. It is primarily targeted for those who want to mount the uIEC in
their C64/DTV/C128/VIC/Plus-4/etc.

Both support all CBM IEC based computers (including the VIC-20 with it's
higher drive access speeds), include JiffyDOS support, support D64s,
P00/R00/S00/U00 files, will operate with both FAT16 and FAT32
filesystems, handle mulitple FAT partitions, support subdirectories, and
new features appears every week or so.

Labor to solder for the first batch of units is nontrivial, but I wanted
to offer an attractive price. Thus, here's the price list:

uIEC : $75.00
uIEC/CF: $50.00

US Shipping is +4.60, please check for overseas pricing.

I expect the prices to hold steady over time(production board run will
bring the board cost down for the next run, but I'll switch to an
outsourced builder to solder up the units, no way am I soldering
hundreds of these little CF connectors)

I'd appreciate getting an idea of interest. I hope to have units for
officially offer for sale at the C4EXPO this weekend (all depends on my
soldering skills). If you've previously requested one, please remind me
via email. I'll make sure all previous requestors get at least one
unit. Mainly, I just want to unload all of the current boards and
recoup my investment before I start running a new batch.

If you're looking for a lower cost option, I'm not sure I can help, but
I am planning to run a batch of sd2iec boards in the near future (same
firmware, but uses MMC/SD cards, not CF cards). They might have a
slightly lower cost.

As for other news, with the source code commit tonight, uIEC/sd2iec now
supports Relative files. It will support .REL files (first byte is
record length) or R00 files (record length is in header, as implemented
by VICE and PC64, among others). Support should be considered beta at
this point. D64 REL file support will follow shortly.

Jim

Clocky

Jun 23, 2008, 6:16:18 AM6/23/08

"Jim Brain" <br...@jbrain.com> wrote in message

>I apologize for the delay, but I know people wanted pricing, and I was busy
>writing code. However, since I am hoping to sell units at the C4 EXPO
>coming up this weekend, I had put pricing off for too long.
>
> Thus, here goes:
>
> Both will be offered in 2 flavors:

> The base uIEC offering will include a CompactFlash slot and an IDE drive
> header. It also includes an expansion port (as yet unused for anything,
> but it's configured to match the pinout of parallel driver speeders like
> ProfessionalDOS/RapiDOS Pro.) and a future option for external drive RAM.
> It includes an onboard IEC connector.

Count me in for one of those, how do I order?

Cameron Kaiser

Jun 23, 2008, 8:38:02 AM6/23/08
Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> writes:

>Labor to solder for the first batch of units is nontrivial, but I wanted
>to offer an attractive price. Thus, here's the price list:
>uIEC : $75.00

You can add me to this list.

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

christianlott1

Jun 23, 2008, 12:36:39 PM6/23/08
On Jun 23, 7:38 am, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com> wrote:

> Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> writes:
> >uIEC   : $75.00
>
> You can add me to this list.

Me too.

A few last minute questions:

1. (jim) how difficult is it going to be for me to add my i2c device?

2. (anyone) best deals on new cf cards and ide drives?

SbM

Jun 23, 2008, 3:19:28 PM6/23/08
Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:

> I'd appreciate getting an idea of interest.

I suppose quite a few (say 10, maybe more) Commodore-addicts here in
France would be interested. Does the unit support writing to the flash
card ?

--
[SbM]
<http://sebastienmarty.free.fr> - <http://tradintosh.free.fr>

Jim Brain

Jun 23, 2008, 5:41:12 PM6/23/08
SbM wrote:
> Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate getting an idea of interest.
>
> I suppose quite a few (say 10, maybe more) Commodore-addicts here in
> France would be interested. Does the unit support writing to the flash
> card ?

It does. You can choose your poison:

It will read and write PC64-compliant X00 files (P00, S00,R00,U00).
Such files will list in a dir listing with the correct PETSCII filename.
It will read and write files with .SEQ, .USR, .REL, and .PRG file
extensions. If extension-hiding is enabled, such files will be stripped
of the relevant extension and the filetype will reflect the type
accordingly.
It will read and write files inside D64 images (soon to be D71/D81/DNP
images as well)

For any file it cannot recognize via P00 header or extension, it will
display the PETSCII-compliant name and the filetype will be PRG.

Outside of D64 images, you have control on how new files are created.
There are 4 options (at present).

1) Create X00-compliant files for all filetypes by PRG
2) Create X00-compliant files for all filetypes
3) Add filetype extension to filename, except for PRG files
4) Add filetype extension to filenames

Within images, files are created with the appropriate interleave (10 for
files and 3 for directories in a D64, other interleaves for other images
as they are added)

All options are set via the "X" DOS command, and can be stored in
non-volatile memory for permanent settings.

uIEC does not have a hardware selectable drive number. It comes as
device 10, and you can change the drive number via the standard U0>
command. If you save configuration settings, it will permanently change
the drive number (well, until you change it again and resave)

Jim Brain

Jun 23, 2008, 5:41:30 PM6/23/08
christianlott1 wrote:
> On Jun 23, 7:38 am, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com> wrote:
>> Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> writes:
>>> uIEC : $75.00
>> You can add me to this list.
>
> Me too.
>
> A few last minute questions:
>
> 1. (jim) how difficult is it going to be for me to add my i2c device?

Pins for I2C are available on the uIEC via a 16 pin header, but no code
in the unit exists for I2C.

There's been discussing about offering some I2C-based peripherals for
the unit (LCD screen via I2C, etc.), so support may be added for I2C
items in the future.

> 2. (anyone) best deals on new cf cards and ide drives?

I'm trying to buy a batch of cheap (<3.00USD) 16MB CF cards, so I can
verify I shipped a completely working unit. But, I would expect you're
asking for 4GB and such cards.

Jim

65coupei6

Jun 23, 2008, 5:57:18 PM6/23/08

Count me in also.

bud

Jun 24, 2008, 12:20:00 AM6/24/08

Group: comp.sys.cbm Date: Mon, Jun 23, 2008, 9:36am (CDT-2) From:
christi...@yahoo.com (christianlott1)

script:

>2. (anyone) best deals on new
>cf cards and ide drives?

No definite links, etc.. I look for a price of 7.50 USD or less per GB.
(CF) Have seen prices of this sort at Amazon & even Rat Shack.

salaam ,
dowcom

To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

--
http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,… Linux is radar.

Lars Haugseth

Jun 24, 2008, 3:46:19 AM6/24/08
I'd like one of the $75 units (sent you an email as well.)

Will the uIEC work with the Action Replay 6 fast load/save features?

--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

christianlott1

Jun 24, 2008, 9:02:06 AM6/24/08
Message has been deleted

retroman

Jun 24, 2008, 4:24:58 PM6/24/08

"Jim Brain" <br...@jbrain.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> [...]

Nice to see great new HW for the Commodore Computers, a friend of mine
knowing Lars P showed me the MMC2IEC, So I have one of those!, but I know
that the SD2IEC is a enhanced version of the MMC2IEC, where it is possible
to upgrade the firmware by putting it on the SD card, is this also valid for
the uIEC?, can I use the excatly same firmware/procedure.

Jim Brain

Jun 24, 2008, 7:43:32 PM6/24/08
If you're seriously planning on using more than 137GB, please chat with
me. Using the entire disk requires 48bit addressing, which I've coded
up in uIEC, but I've not tested it (don't have a spare >137GB drive to
test with, and I didn't make it a huge priority, since I'm not even sure
there's 137GB of CBM software of any kind around...

Rest assured, it will work, but it might require a firmware upgrade.

Jim

Jim Brain

Jun 24, 2008, 7:45:38 PM6/24/08
retroman wrote:

> Nice to see great new HW for the Commodore Computers, a friend of mine
> knowing Lars P showed me the MMC2IEC, So I have one of those!, but I know
> that the SD2IEC is a enhanced version of the MMC2IEC, where it is possible
> to upgrade the firmware by putting it on the SD card, is this also valid for
> the uIEC?, can I use the excatly same firmware/procedure.

It's the last feature I'm working on prior to sale.

Jim

Jim Brain

Jun 24, 2008, 7:47:29 PM6/24/08
For now, just the response is fine. I'm trying to determine a count.

Some have asked about payment options. Check/MO/Paypal are all fine,
though I'm not set up to do bank drafts and such. Cash is fine, if
you're OK with it, but I would not recommend sending it via the mail.

Jim

christianlott1

Jun 24, 2008, 9:41:15 PM6/24/08
On Jun 24, 6:43 pm, Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:

> If you're seriously planning on using more than 137GB, please chat with
> me. Using the entire disk requires 48bit addressing, which I've coded
> up in uIEC, but I've not tested it (don't have a spare >137GB drive to
> test with, and I didn't make it a huge priority, since I'm not even sure
> there's 137GB of CBM software of any kind around...
>
> Rest assured, it will work, but it might require a firmware upgrade.

I'll play around on the CF first then. Can the hd be partitioned? No
matter, I don't mind being a tester.

Maybe I should just yank out this hd I'm using for 64hdd and use that.
It'll sure be nice re purposing that 486. It served well these past
five years :)

I'll need to make an enclosure for the uIEC. Would a cartridge case
(plus a few holes) do?

Jim Brain

Jun 24, 2008, 10:29:52 PM6/24/08
christianlott1 wrote:
> On Jun 24, 6:43 pm, Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're seriously planning on using more than 137GB, please chat with
>> me. Using the entire disk requires 48bit addressing, which I've coded
>> up in uIEC, but I've not tested it (don't have a spare >137GB drive to
>> test with, and I didn't make it a huge priority, since I'm not even sure
>> there's 137GB of CBM software of any kind around...
>>
>> Rest assured, it will work, but it might require a firmware upgrade.
>
> I'll play around on the CF first then. Can the hd be partitioned? No
> matter, I don't mind being a tester.

Partitions work now.

> Maybe I should just yank out this hd I'm using for 64hdd and use that.
> It'll sure be nice re purposing that 486. It served well these past
> five years :)

The drive does need to be new enough to do Logical Block Addressing
(LBA). It's just not worth the effort to support older CHS drives.

> I'll need to make an enclosure for the uIEC. Would a cartridge case
> (plus a few holes) do?

It looks like it'd work, but you might want a box with a bit more height.

rber...@value.net

Jun 26, 2008, 7:42:02 AM6/26/08
On Jun 23, 7:00 am, Jim Brain wrote:

> uIEC will be offered in 2 flavors:
>
> The base uIEC offering will include a CompactFlash slot and an IDE drive
>   header.  It also includes an expansion port (as yet unused for
> anything, but it's configured to match the pinout of parallel driver
> speeders like ProfessionalDOS/RapiDOS Pro.) and a future option for
> external drive RAM.  It includes an onboard IEC connector.

I would be interested in purchasing the ful-featured model.

Flying from London to Rhodes, Greece today,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
CommVEx v4 website - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Gene

Jun 26, 2008, 10:33:36 AM6/26/08
rber...@value.net wrote:

>> uIEC will be offered in 2 flavors:
>>
>> The base uIEC offering will include a CompactFlash slot and an IDE drive
>> header. It also includes an expansion port (as yet unused for
>> anything, but it's configured to match the pinout of parallel driver
>> speeders like ProfessionalDOS/RapiDOS Pro.) and a future option for
>> external drive RAM. It includes an onboard IEC connector.
>
> I would be interested in purchasing the ful-featured model.

Jim, please add me to the list as well for the "full" version.

g.

Jerry Kurtz

Jun 26, 2008, 3:38:48 PM6/26/08
Hello Jim,

Count me in for one too.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jim Brain

Jun 30, 2008, 1:03:57 AM6/30/08

If you have not already (no doubt you have, but...) let me know which
kind (CF only or IDE/CF) version you would like.

To the rest of the folks:

The first units are in the hands of some C4 EXPO attendees, and as soon
as I can recuperate from the weekend, I will solder and test more and
send them out.

This weekend showed me that, while I am getting very good at soldering
surface mount components, I don't want to be that good at it. In short,
I think my time is better spent designing the firmware, not in soldering.

So, I'm devoting some energy to finding someone to offload that work.
It also looks like I have a good first run. Thanks for the show of
support. Please be patient while I solder up the first units and try to
offload that work.

Feel free to post information on the other sites. I'm a bit busy at
present to do it.

Jim

Payton Byrd

Jun 30, 2008, 12:40:03 PM6/30/08
On Jun 30, 12:03 am, Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:
> Feel free to post information on the other sites.  I'm a bit busy at
> present to do it.
>
> Jim

I'll be happy to host a Wiki for the uIEC at <http://www.c-one.net>.
If anyone is interested in putting up the content, just let me know
and I'll get some categories and forums set up.

Message has been deleted

Oldbitcollector

Jul 1, 2008, 10:35:16 AM7/1/08

> You could probably use the information athttp://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/SD2IECas a basis - sd2iec and uIEC
> are basically the same code compiled for different storage types (MMC/SD
> or IDE).
>
> -ik

Until a more final location for Wiki/Engish Forum is ready
I've started a Q&A thread for those who have them on Petscii Forums.
http://jledger.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2630&page=1

OBC

John Watson

Jul 10, 2008, 5:52:35 PM7/10/08
Jim, put me down for a uIEC model please (if it's not too late).

--
Remove spamtrap from email address.

Jim Brain

Jul 11, 2008, 3:58:25 AM7/11/08
John Watson wrote:
> Jim, put me down for a uIEC model please (if it's not too late).

I will do so.

As a general update, here's where things stand:

o I sold some of the units at the C4 EXPO weekend before last.
o This past week, I recuperated from the show (took a lot of equipment
there and the soldering killed me) and enjoyed the Holiday
o This week, I spent time soldering up the rest of my stock and
debugging solder bridges.
o I also reworked a bit of the circuit to better utilize the CPU. I
need to make the mods yet to the units on hand.
o Tonight, I worked on the bootloader. I did not have time to finish it
before the show, but I think it's done now. I need to run some more
tests, but it looks solid.
o Based on those interested, I need to make a board run, which takes
about 10 days.

The bootloader searches the first partition of the first drive for a
file with the required device ID and a version number newer than the
currently installed one. If it finds it, it automatically updates the
on-board firmware. Either way, once finished, it drops into the normal
DOS code. I can;t take credit for most of the codebase (I just modifed
it to work on this uC and with IDE/CF). Flashing a new 124kB firmware
takes about 7 seconds.

The bad news is that all those who got units at the C4 EXPO will need to
catch up to me so I can load the bootloader onto the units already
shipped. Also, I will add the forward and back disk change buttons to
the circuit.

Jim

Moloch

Jul 13, 2008, 9:07:36 PM7/13/08
On Jun 22, 11:00 pm, Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:
> Thus, here's the price list:
>
> uIEC   : $75.00
> uIEC/CF: $50.00

Please put me down for one of each model. Thanks.

- Jon