David Mohr AKA Lord Ronin of Qlink...

Dmackey828

Dec 4, 2009, 2:52:52 AM12/4/09
It is with a sad heart and sole that I report that David Mohr
AKA Lordronin of QLINK Passed away this morning.

At this time, thats All I know. I just wanted to be sure to post it.

May you next adventure be as grand as the one you just left.
You will be missed my friend. You will be missed...

masterhit

Dec 4, 2009, 2:58:43 AM12/4/09
:( R.I.P.

DanSolo

Dec 4, 2009, 4:16:04 AM12/4/09
On Dec 4, 7:52 am, Dmackey828 <n2...@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote:
> You will be missed my friend. You will be missed...

+1. A legendary C= man.

Merman

Dec 4, 2009, 5:08:05 AM12/4/09
On Dec 4, 7:52 am, Dmackey828 <n2...@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote:

I am really sad to read this news. David was such a wonderful fan of
the Commodore and a really genuine guy. I never got the chance to meet
him in real life. We're going to miss him.

Clocky

Dec 4, 2009, 8:56:01 AM12/4/09

"Dmackey828" <n2...@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message

Thanks for posting Dan...

He dedicated a lot of time to both his C= related activities and his gaming,
he will be missed by many people.

Goodbye friend.

KilrPilr

Dec 4, 2009, 1:14:48 PM12/4/09
Rest in Peace LR! Save a spot for me at the desk of commodore computers.

Leo

Six of Style

Dec 4, 2009, 4:20:55 PM12/4/09
Dmackey828 <n2...@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in

Terrible news. He was a good friend, and great help with the CCCC
newsletter while I was editor. His contribution to the community will be
sorely missed. If anyone finds that there is a memorial site or if there
is any way to pass condolences to his family, please post.

6

redrumloa

Dec 4, 2009, 5:27:41 PM12/4/09

Unreal, a terrible punch to the gut. He was always so kind and helpful
with anything C= related. He will be missed :-(

@com

Dec 5, 2009, 12:04:55 PM12/5/09

"Dmackey828" <n2...@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message

I didn`t know the bloke, but many
of his C64 friends I`m familiar with!
Condoloscenses to his family :(

Rick (no spam) Ethridge

Dec 7, 2009, 10:25:46 AM12/7/09
Dmackey828 wrote:

> It is with a sad heart and sole that I report that David Mohr
> AKA Lordronin of QLINK Passed away this morning.

He was one of my best friends though I never met him in person.
He was distinguished and always personable. His writing was
distinctive and pithy. A part of Dave is here in the form of two
C=64 power supplies he sold me.

Shalom Old Friend!

Dmackey828

Dec 8, 2009, 1:39:51 PM12/8/09

Yeah, I have a C64, a 1581 and 4 or 5 carts I bought from him.

the C64 is on my 2nd Commodore desk. Thats my testing bench
so it's been seeing a lot of use lately.

RIP LR..

ramswell

Dec 9, 2009, 1:53:20 PM12/9/09

WHAT!? :( I JUST sent him a Christmas Card!!!!

That's HORRIBLE!!!!!

Charles

Golan Klinger

Dec 9, 2009, 2:17:35 PM12/9/09
ramswell wrote:

> I JUST sent him a Christmas Card!!!!

LR was Jewish.

--
Golan Klinger
Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

Clocky

Dec 9, 2009, 6:29:12 PM12/9/09

"Golan Klinger" <n...@sp.am> wrote in message

> ramswell wrote:
>
>> I JUST sent him a Christmas Card!!!!
>
> LR was Jewish.

Beat me to it...

christianlott1

Dec 12, 2009, 10:36:02 PM12/12/09

rofl.

rip lr.

RobertB

Dec 17, 2009, 10:12:43 PM12/17/09
(With the December 3 passing of Dave "Lord Ronin" Mohr, a great
enthusiast of the Commodore computer has been taken away from us. The
following is what I feel an appropriate article, taken from the last
issue of his newsletter, The Village Green, December 2009, p. 12-14.)

-------

My Commodore-Amiga Life

by Lord Ronin from Q-Link

As a way to bring in more information about us and our interests in
the sacred and most holy C=, I am starting this series, hoping that I
will have information from the members for each issue on your life
story with our beloved PC. Sort of been thinking about this idea
since DMackey sent in his background on the sacred PC. So don't feel
lonely; tell us about your life with the CBM line.

OK, I'll start off; it is my job, I guess. Let's do a time warp back
to the mid 80's. I was working as that most vile and evil thing, a
telemarketer. Well, in my defense, it was for the state, and it was
licensed, and it was for the Special Olympics. At that time I was
computer-phobic, while my mother had been teaching adults to read for
several years. She had one student that had to have his wife fill in
the job applications and read the newspaper to him. Yet, he was a
Commodore user, and I suspect but can't prove [that he was] a member
of the users group in Grants Pass, Oregon. Don't ask me how he could
use the C=, but he could and got my mum interested in it. So in 1986,
she bought a 64, off-brand name monitor, black MPS-803 printer, 1541
drive, diabetic programmes, other programmes that I have yet to be
able to look at, and a computer desk. Speed ahead for a moment. That
desk is now in the shop and is the 64C set up. Disk drive was smashed
by Mark Reed, and the printhead went out on the printer. Sold the
monitor, as I had six 1702s at the time. My wife at the time and I
had visited [mum], and she came several times to visit me, saying that
I needed a computer as I was a writer. Yeah, like we believed that
last part.

Skipping ahead to 1993, March to be exact. The wife had been gone for
six years. Would have been nice if before she married me, she had
divorced three other husbands. [That day], I get a cop at the door of
the shop where we were still sweeping the floor and moving things into
our new location. I can still remember where everyone was standing at
that time; [the cop informed me that] my mother was in the hospital
with a heart problem. She was 400 miles away, and I had no
transport. But one of my martial arts students and gamers had a car
and time off. I had a few coins to lay on him for gas. He took me
the 400 miles at breakneck speeds in a little Honda, I white-knuckled
the entire trip. Literally, made it there in record time. Went to
the hospital the next day. I had the keys for her place... oh, wait,
I still have the keys... where I found out she had that she had heart
trouble. A quintuple bypass had been performed, and they had jump-
started her on the table around three times. Wish she had sued them,
as she had a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) on her paperwork that they
ignored; I [could have] had a lot more C= stuff now and not be on
disability (VBG). Oh, add here that it was 1987 that I was declared
permanently disabled.

Well, she had more tubes in her than my 1936 Hallicrafters SWR
(shortwave radio). All she wanted to talk to me about was her OBE
(out-of-body experience) with my father and the Commodore system she
had for me in the shed. Like man, I was really interested in the
computer at that time (not in the least). But how do you argue with a
70 year old mother that is pushing a computer on you? OK, when they
tossed me out of the hospital, I went back to her place [which] was in
walking distance for me at that time. In the shed at her retirement
trailer court, there was a breadbox 64, SR-3000 monitor (she didn't
know it also did 80 col.), Okidata 120 printer, funky joystick to my
eyes, a couple of factory boxes of things, Word Writer 4, The Hobbit,
and three boxes of "archive" disks. Loaded that up in the little
car. No idea how it fit. Got good and drunk that night on
Burgermeister, my father's fave beer (also not in the stores in
Astoria). Said good-bye to her the next day and had another white-
knuckle ride back to Astoria, where the system was laid out on a
little coffee table. I was scared to death of it. Well, two of the
commune/kibbutz members had some computer experience -- one with the
Rat Shack "Colour 64", the other with an Apple. Tell you here that
both were impressed with the Commodore. Good thing the users guide
was in the mess. Now I'll add here that at that time, I didn't know
about platform-specific or anything. Didn't know that C= disks didn't
work in anything but Commodore. All I had done in computers in the
past was key punch on cards in college and pop out 4K chips replacing
them with 8K chips in TRaSh-80s at the Shack. Now I had this
cybernetic monster in front of me.

Hey, it had this great factory disk box and copy with manual of Acro
Jet. The three of us destroyed the disk, playing it so much the first
night I returned. Then all those arcade games in the "archive"
disks... spent a few days playing with those and learned that I could
make things in the Word Writer 4 programme. So I did a few little
things for the nightly RPG (role-playing game) group. Looked better
than my scrawl of handwriting. I was starting to like the "friendly"
PC. During the year of 93, I was at the cafe that was next to the
shop, [having] known the people for years. Not sure how the
conversation started but in the end, they were selling off their C=
system. I thought it was a great idea to have one in the shop at that
time. Been one in the shop ever since. Well, it was a breadbox, some
disks... all I remember was "archive" copy of Project Firestart that
had me for months tearing out my hair on how to play it, but the intro
scenes were what sold me on the power of the C=.

Along with that came an amber monitor... not a lot of fun, I admit.
Well, it was in October of that year... kids were out doing trick-or-
treating with the downtown merchants a couple of days before
Halloween, when a guy I had worked with in a small boat building place
over a decade earlier came in and saw what I was playing with at the
time. Told me all about the "Astoria Commodore Users Group", which he
said was a big copy party group... like I understood what that meant
at the time. Laid a phone number on me and hooked me with the fact
that disks cost 25 cents each at the meetings. I didn't know about
the how, where, or why to get the disks. Yeah, I was using the master
copies... a real lamer. To be short, I went to the November meeting,
joined in December, and Mark Reed joined in January of 94.

Over the next approx. 16 years, my idea for a name change was accepted
for the group. Became the editor, 128 librarian, 64 deputy librarian,
64 librarian, and finally the president... a title which was changed
to Chancellor. Newsletter expanded. A BBS was up from 1996 to 2005
and will be up again. Shop added the hardcopy library to the floor
space. Later, the software collection and hardware for sale, with a
reduced rate for group members. I ended up doing more and more
writing on the C= system, moving from the Newsroom to GEOS and later
to GeoPub... then to Wheels and what we have today.

OK, that is the short of it. As for my Amiga stuff... well, this has
gone on too long, and the Amiga and me is better done at a later
time. However, you can tell it was all my mother's fault that she
created this Commodore fanatic. Now it is your turn to relate your C=
history. Feel free to add what you doing today as well.

KilrPilr

Dec 18, 2009, 12:57:53 AM12/18/09
I havent heard how he passed. What happened Robert? Thanks for the post.

"RobertB" <rber...@iglou.com> wrote in message

KilrPilr

Dec 18, 2009, 1:05:52 AM12/18/09
Never mind, I read on homestead it was heart failure. So sad.

"KilrPilr" <commod...@removehotmail.com> wrote in message

Mike Paull

Dec 18, 2009, 1:23:13 AM12/18/09
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 02:52:52 -0500, Dmackey828 <n2...@NOSPAMarrl.net>
wrote:

This is most sad to hear. While I only chatted to him a few times and sent
but a handful of emails I enjoyed my correspondance with him. He was a
funny guy and had a good way of looking at things and was always willing to
help.

RIP Lord Ronin.

Mike

RobertB

Dec 22, 2009, 3:09:36 AM12/22/09
(In lieu of a memorial service for Dave Mohr, I wrote the following.)

David “Lord Ronin” Mohr – a Tribute

“Ow! Dave, you're making me laugh too much.”

Dave looked at me, grinning at the discomfort I was having. He kept
at it, telling me joke after joke, and I continued laughing and
holding my chest, the physical pain very real. He knew what he was
doing; he was lifting my spirits after a tumultuous 36 hours for me.
Car packed full of Commodore and Amiga items, I had arrived in
Portland that Tuesday in 2007 for MossyCon 3, the little Commodore
event Dave put on every spring break. That Tuesday night, an
ambulance hauled me away to the nearest hospital emergency room for
chest pains which I later found out was pericarditis (post-viral
inflammation of the pericardium – the protective sac around the
heart). I missed MossyCon on Wednesday, me being still stuck in the
emergency room, my only visitors being Andrew Wiskow and Jeremy L..
Later that afternoon I was released, and the next day, after a worried
Jeri Ellsworth treated me to lunch, I drove out to Dave's place in
Astoria. The chest was starting to hurt again at 4:30 on the road,
and I downed three ibuprofens, according to the wishes of the
doctors. By the time, I reached Dave's place at 6, the pains had just
subsided... until Dave started me laughing and laughing.

“You know, Robert, you didn't have to come,” as Dave gently chided me
for traveling all that way in my condition.

“Nah, Dave, I said I would come to MossyCon.”

For the next 3 ½ hours, Dave and I had our own MossyCon, the others
having attended the day before. His eyes would light up with every
Commodore computer I pulled out of my car – PET 2001, PET 4032, PET
8032, modded SX-64, Amiga CD-32.

“If you don't want to take that back to California, I can take it off
your hands,” he would say, this being a long-running joke that I had
heard for years and years.

Years and years....

Fast forward to MossyCon 5 in 2009, a different venue – the Moose
Lodge in Astoria – and a different day – the first Sunday of spring
break. Dave and I were reminiscing about how long we had known each
other.

“I think it was 2001, Dave.”

“No, Robert, it was before you knew Jeri Ellsworth.”

“You know... you're right, Dave,” and we determined it was from the
late 1990's. I seemed to think it was from 1998 or 1999 when I first
visited his Amiga-Commodore User Group on the way back from a visit to
the Amiga computer dealer, Wonder Computers, in Vancouver, British
Columbia, Canada.

Ten years of visits to him in Astoria. I had only known Dave to come
out of Astoria one time... to visit me one Thanksgiving in Canby,
Oregon so that he could pick up a MSD-SD2 disk drive from me. He had
another person drive him over, but he couldn't stay too long. He had
to return for Thanksgiving dinner at his place two hours back.

When the annual Commodore Vegas Expo started in 2005, I dreamt of
methods to get him to Las Vegas, by bus or by train or by car or by a
combination of those. None of those plans came to fruition. An
airline flight would be a no-go for him.

He did tell me about having a table at the annual Portland Orycon
event, a role-playing gamers convention. Though in later years he
boycotted the show, during the times he did go to it, he spoke
favorably of it where he would dress up, talk RPG, promote Commodore
computers, and espouse the Klingon way. Yeah, Dave was a fan of the
Star Trek original series. When he found out about my taking sides
with Starfleet, he looked at me and sniffed half-seriously,
“Staaarfleeeet...”

Dave could throw out a choice phrase in Klingon when needed. For that
matter, Dave could blurt out choice phrases in British English,
German, and Yiddish. And the speed with which he could turn a phrase
would always amaze me.

“Dave, how should I respond to this person who is bugging me?”

“Robert, this is what you say...” Needless to say, now I have a quick
response in German.

Dave could appropriately modulate his voice, too, being a former radio
disc jockey. He would turn on his radio voice and read a line from
his radio station, and I would be properly impressed.

One thing he couldn't do was communicate in Spanish at a Mexican
restaurant. I had to teach him.

“Robert, how do you say, 'I'm Jewish. I cannot eat pork.'?”

“This is the way, Dave. Say, 'Soy judio. No puedo comer cerdo.'”

Dave loved his many and varied pet cats. It didn't matter to him
whether they slept on top of the Commodore keyboards or on his lap.
He would rescue those he could and rehabilitate them. Every time I
visited his house, I had to be aware of where the cats were for fear
of stepping on them or for fear of them jumping on me. Dave took
great pleasure in my discomfort.

“That one, Robert, has especially sharp claws.”

I would then huddle on a chair with books, boxes, or computer parts
covering my lap. When he found out about my preferring dogs, he
looked at me and sniffed half-seriously, “Doooogs...”

It was only last year I found out that Dave was a prisoner of war in
the Vietnam War. Yes, I knew he was a veteran, but I never knew that
he had been captured, that he had been in Army intelligence. He was
on a mission and had been captured by the Viet Cong. He was
tortured. Five (or was it six) days later, he was rescued/freed by
Americans. He spoke that in those days the Viet Cong had a price on
his head. And he still couldn't watch the movie, the Deerhunter,
because it cut too close... it brought back too many memories of his
experiences during the Vietnam War.

He was a fan of other movies and t.v. shows, especially British t.v.
shows – Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Dr. Who, Gerry Anderson shows like
UFO, and his supreme favorite, the Prisoner. When he found out that I
would be visiting Wales in 2008, he urged me to visit Portmeirion,
site of the Village seen in the Prisoner. The nearest I could get to
it was Cardiff, the site of the new Dr. Who t.v. series. I brought
back details of my visit, and he would listen to all of it with great
appreciation. Not only was Dave a good talker but he was a good
listener, too.

He enjoyed the souvenirs I brought to him from the U.K.. He enjoyed
the souvenirs that Peter Hanson, the Plus4 king of England, brought
during his visits to Astoria. Dave especially liked the various
British tabloids, like the Sun with its famous/infamous Page 3 Girl;
Dave's eyes would positively glow at the photo of a pretty girl.
Peter and Dave got along famously, Peter remarking that Dave had the
English sense of humor. Peter and Dave would be telling English jokes
with each other, and I would be dumbfounded... not understanding
anything of the jokes.

The last Peter and I saw Dave was on our mid-June visit to Astoria.
It was on a Sunday, very quiet because the bar above the Mohr
Realities RPG/Commodore shop was closed. As usual, Dave was very
hospitable; he even gave us a few of his Commodore disks-of-the-
month. And I thought this would always be. I would visit Dave two or
three or four times a year. I would bring his Commodore goodies to
Ray Carlsen in Washington State for repair, and I would dutifully
bring them back. I would buy unusual Commodore items from his shop
and gladly pay him. I would listen to his wisdom on Commodore games
and GEOS. I would listen to his explanations on various RPGs or comic
books.

Now I can only listen to that little part of him captured on my
MossyCon videos. Now I can only see him in the photos I took of him.
Now I can only read his musings in his Village Green newsletter or in
the accumulated e-mails and postings I have from him. Now I can only
relive the memories I have of him, though those memories may fade in
time. He was the Master, the Sensei... and he always considered me
the kid.

The night before he passed away... 12 hours before... he made a
posting on Facebook. He was joking about his cats and about pretty
girls. He talked about “Slow now, only about an hour of online time a
day.” He talked about “Getting there, had a slight relapse on
Monday.” And he talked about his German Jew father and Scotch-Irish
mother. As he remarked, “So there may be a slight reason why I have a
slight stubborn streak. (LOL)”

A stubborn streak that kept him in Commodore, a stubborn streak that
kept his club together, a stubborn streak kept him going through every
trial and tribulation in his personal life; those tribulations he
would try to explain to me, and I couldn't understand all of them.

The only thing I understood was that Dave was a good man, a good
friend.

RobertB

Dec 22, 2009, 3:12:00 AM12/22/09

AgentFriday

Dec 30, 2009, 5:20:22 AM12/30/09
wrote:

>It is with a sad heart and sole that I report that David Mohr

Damn, that's messed up... First time I got on to check out C= on
usenet. Happen to think of him and searched his name to see if he
posted here.

I just met him 2 months ago (via email). He was helping me diagnose a
DOA 1581. A pity I won't have the chance to get to know him.

He was a generous soul.