ssv5/5.2 ROM Extractor (0/1)

Xdr12

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
A freind of mine, RadWarrior on Canthro's Lair BBS, and another freind of
his, worked on writing a program to extract the ROM image from a Super
Snapshot v5.0 & v5.2 cart, and asave it to disk. I've UUEncoded the files
and sent them here.

Tom Cwikla

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96

Just a side note, is there later version of the Super Snapshot than 5.22? I
have the 5.22 version, and although it is great, I wouldn't mind getting an
upgrade that has the file copier bug fixed. Has anybody even bothered to fix
it? Is LMS technologies still around? Both of the phone numbers given in the
back of the manual no longer work. I hope that if there is an updated
version they would distribute the ROM image on their BBS or through E-Mail
to those of us who have EPROM programmers. :)

--Tom.

Carl Bannenberg

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
Tom Cwikla

Tom - I think LMS are still around and probably produce SnapShots for
dealer bulk orders.

By the way what is the file copy bug?

Carl E. Bannenberg

Tom Cwikla

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In <60.1854.45...@canrem.com> carl.ba...@canrem.com (Carl Bannenberg) writes:

>Tom - I think LMS are still around and probably produce SnapShots for
>dealer bulk orders.

>By the way what is the file copy bug?

It's a small fault that shows up when you try to copy files TO a 1541 drive
(or a 1541 disk in a 1571 drive) that has either 8 or 16 or 24 or 32...
files on it. If you try to do this, when the copier tries to update the
directory it will step the head past track 40 to the point where you have to
free it manually using that white disk that came with the drive.
This is not really a big problem, since all you need to do is count the
number of files on the destination disk and if it happens to be a multiple
of 8 then just go NEW and then SAVE"FOO",8
Then proceed as usual and everything will be fine.

--Tom.

Waveform

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
In article <umcwikla.828241010@castor>,
Tom Cwikla <umcw...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

>>By the way what is the file copy bug?

>It's a small fault that shows up when you try to copy files TO a 1541 drive
>(or a 1541 disk in a 1571 drive) that has either 8 or 16 or 24 or 32...
>files on it. If you try to do this, when the copier tries to update the
>directory it will step the head past track 40 to the point where you have to
>free it manually using that white disk that came with the drive.
>This is not really a big problem, since all you need to do is count the
>number of files on the destination disk and if it happens to be a multiple
>of 8 then just go NEW and then SAVE"FOO",8
>Then proceed as usual and everything will be fine.

HOLY COW! I thought I was going nuts.

Who discovered this bug and where is it documented? Every now and then,
I'd be using that file copier and then all of a sudden
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-CRASH! Big poop on the disk. NOW I KNOW! Woo hoo!

__ __ ___
/\ \ __/\ \ /'___\
\ \ \/\ \ \ \ __ __ __ __ /\ \__/ ___ _ __ ___ ___
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ /'__`\ /\ \/\ \ /'__`\ \ ,__\/ __`\/\`'__\/' __` __`\
\ \ \_/ \_\ \/\ \L\.\_\ \ \_/ |/\ __/\ \ \_/\ \L\ \ \ \/ /\ \/\ \/\ \
\ `\___x___/\ \__/.\_\\ \___/ \ \____\\ \_\\ \____/\ \_\ \ \_\ \_\ \_\
'\/__//__/ \/__/\/_/ \/__/ \/____/ \/_/ \/___/ \/_/ \/_/\/_/\/_/

Tom Cwikla

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
In <4js2n5$3...@barad-dur.nas.com> wave...@anna.az.com (Waveform) writes:

>In article <umcwikla.828241010@castor>,
>Tom Cwikla <umcw...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

>>It's a small fault that shows up when you try to copy files TO a 1541 drive
>>(or a 1541 disk in a 1571 drive) that has either 8 or 16 or 24 or 32...
>>files on it. If you try to do this, when the copier tries to update the
>>directory it will step the head past track 40 to the point where you have to
>>free it manually using that white disk that came with the drive.
>>This is not really a big problem, since all you need to do is count the
>>number of files on the destination disk and if it happens to be a multiple
>>of 8 then just go NEW and then SAVE"FOO",8
>>Then proceed as usual and everything will be fine.

>HOLY COW! I thought I was going nuts.

>Who discovered this bug and where is it documented? Every now and then,
>I'd be using that file copier and then all of a sudden
>BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-CRASH! Big poop on the disk. NOW I KNOW! Woo hoo!

I don't know if it is actually documented anywhere. The description that I
posted is my own, and I don't know if it's completely correct. There may be
other cases where this will or will not happen. However I have managed to
avoid this by just using the SAVE"JUNK",8 method. Hopefully somebody who
knows (or has the time to figure out) how the file copier is written will
correct this and post an updated ROM image. I really was expecting a new
version anyway since the cartridge does have the ability to take a 128K
EPROM, and it seems a little strange that LMS would go to the trouble of
making this provision and then NOT release a new version.

--Tom.

Cliff Anderson

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

Xdr12 <xd...@aol.com> wrote in article
<4j3ovp$i...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>...

> A freind of mine, RadWarrior on Canthro's Lair BBS, and another freind of
> his, worked on writing a program to extract the ROM image from a Super
> Snapshot v5.0 & v5.2 cart, and asave it to disk. I've UUEncoded the
files
> and sent them here.

I'm very interested in this, but the file seems to have not arrived on my
end. Maybe you could put it on an ftp site or a web page and leave us a
pointer to it. Danke.

Deathy.