Here at CHM for the Impact of the C64 with Jack Tramiel

rber...@value.net

Dec 10, 2007, 6:31:08 PM12/10/07
Because the #c64friends chat is locked out here, I'm posting on
the newsgroups. I arrived early, hours before any of the other guests
and attendees. Bil Herd, Jeri Ellsworth, and others have gone off to
lunch (but I came in after that and so, I missed out). The event room
is still being set up by the CHM staff, the room being the same second
floor room used by exhibitors and vendors at the Vintage Computer
Festival. The members' reception room is on the first floor to the
right of the entrance.
I finally finished unpacking the car and setting up the FCUG
informational table. Just a bit of confusion as to where to place the
table, but it was finally decided to place it on the second floor,
opposite to the stairs and to the side of the refreshments area. FCUG
newsletters and applications are spread out on the table as are framed
photos of Jim Butterfield and Jeri Ellsworth. Here at the
refreshments area, the 400 attendees can gather for coffee and cake.
I've prepped all my cameras, i.e., loaded the film and videotape.
I've also borrowed another Digital 8 camcorder from our treasurer. At
the back of the event room, I spy a more professional camcorder on
tripod; perhaps that is the one that will broadcast the live feed to
the Net.
Will report back in a little while.

Still awaiting people to show,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/

rber...@value.net

Dec 10, 2007, 7:16:40 PM12/10/07
Things are starting to perk up around here now. Steve Wozniak is
wandering around; he went to our FCUG table, looked at the photos, and
remarked that he'd like to hear what Jeri Ellsworth is up to. News
reporters
are slowly but surely wandering in, picking up their press passes, and
then
heading off to the press room. Here is a list of the news people to
come:

Ivestors Business Daily
San Jose Mercury News
Financial Times
ComputerWorld
Information Week
ANG Newspapers/Tribune Tower
Bloomberg News
Red Herring
Bay Area News Group
Info World
Salon.com
Gadget Games
IDG News Service
CBS, KPIX-TV
IDC
Associated Press
PC Gamer
eWeek
Mac World
Mac Life
San Jose Business Journal
and the all-encompassing, Media

I may have missed one or two above.
My mistake -- the food for the members' reception is to the
center and left on the first floor.

As the scents of the
fine food wafts around,

rber...@value.net

Dec 10, 2007, 7:34:40 PM12/10/07
Jack Tramiel has entered the building! He greeted the CHM
people, sat
down at a table, and is signing autographs while photos are being
taken.
Shorter than I thought, wearing a dark sport coat, gray slacks, and
dress
shirt unbuttoned at the top.

Truly,

rber...@value.net

Dec 10, 2007, 7:53:38 PM12/10/07
Darn! Only the large group of press is being let
in to talk to Jack. I still have to wait until 6 for the
members' reception. Steve Wozniak and Jack are
both at the same table, happily talking to each other.
Flashes are being fired off the press cameras...
I thought flash photography would not be allowed.

Zooming in with my videocamera,

Bogdan Macri

Dec 10, 2007, 8:06:00 PM12/10/07

Robert,

There seems to be no webcasting available.

Bogdan

Bogdan Macri - Photography & Consulting

bogdan dot macri at geemail dot com

rber...@value.net

Dec 10, 2007, 8:27:54 PM12/10/07
On Dec 10, 5:06 pm, Bogdan wrote:

> There seems to be no webcasting available.

Everybody's still in the reception room, where no videocasting
is set up.
Host Markoff asked Lowe, Wozniak, and Tramiel to say some
words to the press gathered there. Because I was not allowed in,
I videotaped from the balcony railing overlooking the reception
room. Some shaky camera work but at least it's recorded.

Still waiting until the 6 p.m. magic hour,

Bogdan Macri

Dec 10, 2007, 8:30:31 PM12/10/07
I just don't see any link for the webcasting... called the info number
at the museum and they confirmed that there will be no webcasting.

rber...@value.net

Dec 10, 2007, 9:30:34 PM12/10/07
The members' reception is in full force! Scads of people are
wolfing down the tasty treats (my dinner!). Bil Herd, Brad
Templeton, Cameron Kaiser, Jeri Ellsworth, and TOGA member
Gordon Collins have arrived. I ate plenty of coconut shrimp and
then under the advise of Cameron, staked out a spot for video-
taping the event (front row to the left). Lots of pro video
cameras here, but Valerie Alston of CHM confirmed there is
no live web-casting. :-(

With Cameron's video gear behind me,

la...@portcommodore.com

Dec 10, 2007, 10:28:56 PM12/10/07
It looks like after such events the CHM posts a video of the talk, I
figure the same will go for that as well.

BTW I have down Jack Tramiel's Birthday is Thursday, the 13th. he's 79
this year.

Larry

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 11, 2007, 1:10:03 AM12/11/07
la...@portcommodore.com writes:

>It looks like after such events the CHM posts a video of the talk, I
>figure the same will go for that as well.

It was an outstanding talk. I'm very glad to have made it. (And the food
at the CHM member reception was fabulous.)

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

joe.j....@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2007, 3:42:35 AM12/11/07
My friend and I made the pilgrimage to the CHM from Florida to see
this talk. It was amazing to listen to Jack and truly worth it.
Frankly, I think he could have carried the event himself, without the
other panelists. What a charming, quick-witted personality. Sharing
the room with so many other Commodore 64 "brothers and sisters" was
close to a religious experience. The chance to ask Jack a question (I
was the bloke who asked him what it felt like to have Commodore in his
crosshairs while at Atari) was a dream come true.

Extra bonus features: meeting the brilliant Bill Herd, legendary Lee
Felsenstein, and the world famous Robert Bernado. ;-)

Did anyone else notice Woz disappeared almost as soon as the talk
ended? Guess he didn't feel too comfy in a room full of C64 heads!

When I saw the non-members line waiting to get in, I thanked God I had
donated for membership status!

On Dec 10, 10:10 pm, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com> wrote:
> la...@portcommodore.com writes:
> >It looks like after such events the CHM posts a video of the talk, I
> >figure the same will go for that as well.
>
> It was an outstanding talk. I'm very glad to have made it. (And the food
> at the CHM member reception was fabulous.)
>
> --

> Cameron Kaiser * ckai...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128

rber...@value.net

Dec 11, 2007, 4:05:20 AM12/11/07
On Dec 10, 7:28 pm, Larry A. wrote:

> It looks like after such events the CHM posts a video of the talk, I
> figure the same will go for that as well.

Yes, after the event, Valerie Alston of CHM confirmed that a few
days from now, the video should be able to be seen at their website.
Of course, I was taping furiously before (hey, I didn't get
enough
to eat at the reception... I was so busy taping) and after (hey,
everybody ate the 25th anniversary C64 cake... I was so busy
taping). Oh, well... the life of a videographer.
The panel discussion began a few minutes late, but that gave
everyone time to crowd the room. It was packed! Family, news
media, and VIPs were in front; the rest were to the sides or in
the middle and back.
I was surprised that Steve Wozniak and Jack Tramiel were
taking friendly jabs at each other... you know, the Commodore
vs. Apple rivalry. William Lowe admitted that the PCjr was a
mistake. Adam Chowaniec ("sho wan nee eh" as Bil Herd
told me) was proud that the Amiga was still ahead of PC for 10
years after the Amiga's introduction.
The panel discussion ended after questions were fielded from
the audience -- about 8:35 p.m.. Then Adam and Jack cut the
anniversary cake, and then it was a free-for-all as everyone
crowded around Jack, Steve, William, and Adam. So much
noise... so many people talking. Everyone seemed very
happy.
I found Amiga engineer, Dale Luck; FCUG member, Bill
Ward; FCUG/TOGA member, Mitch Zollinger; and Vintage
Computer Festival organizer, Sellam Ismail. I tried to tape
Dale and Bil Herd's conversation, but with so much noise,
I didn't think my results were very good. Brian Bagnall was
there; he thanked me for my efforts, and we talked about
a second edition of his book, On the Edge: the Spectacular
Rise and Fall of Commodore. If he could get a first-person
account from Jack in the next few days while he's in town,
perhaps that second edition would come to light. Bil Herd
asked how many copies were sold of the book, and Brian
replied 8,000. Dale met up with Adam for the first time
in years and talked a bit. Bil talked with Jack (well...
before the panel discussion), and at Bil's urging, I took
several still shots of him with Jack. Free posters of the
25th anniversary of the Commodore 64 were handed out,
and many of those were autographed by the guests.
Cameron Kaiser had a PET book autographed by Jack.
I had a brown C64 breadbox autographed by Jack -- "It's
an honor to meet you, Mr. Tramiel. Would you autograph
my C64?" Then I ran back to the FCUG table to pick
up the books Jack Rubin wanted autographed by
Tramiel. Unfortunately, I was delayed by curious
onlookers who asked me about the club, the Jim
Butterfield and Jeri Ellsworth photos, and the
Commodores we had in storage. By the time, I got
back to where Jack Tramiel was, he had left! Bil
advised to have Lenard Tramiel autograph the books.
However, when I pulled the books out (On the Edge
and the Home Computer Wars), Lenard and Bil
became very outspoken, saying that the latter
book was full of falsehoods, that the author did
not really have the information, that there were
errors in the book. Lenard grudgingly autographed
the book, but both of them were more at ease
signing Bagnall's book. Right there in front of
Lenard, Bil teased me, "What's the proper way
to say the last name?" I said, "Tra mel".
About an hour later, the CHM people were
telling us they'd have to shut the doors. I started
packing up my equipment and closing down the
FCUG table. Meanwhile, Bil Herd, Lenard
Tramiel, Jeri Ellsworth, and others snuck over
to the Visible Storage Area (of computers) and
closed the door. What secrets were they
discussing? Were they starting up some kind
of party? Valerie assured me that they
wouldn't stay long, because the museum was
closing. I put everything into the car and
went back to drop off the cart the museum
loaned to me. The secretive group were just
coming out of the Storage Area, and several
departed, just leaving me, Bil, Jeri, and Jeri's
friend, Ken Summeril (sp?). Though Bil wanted
to crash because of severe jet lag, he still had
enough energy for what Ken, a CHM person
wanted to show us. Ken brought us into the
other half of the museum, the areas not seen
by the public. Plenty of catalogued and
uncatalogued computer and gaming gear
sitting on shelves! Analog computers,
mainframe boxes, computers like the
Coleco Adam (with box) and Apples, game
systems like the Colecovision (and a Vectrex
hiding somewhere Ken informed me). He
showed us the C= area, and I saw shiny PETs
sitting there. "Don't touch," he warned. Bil
asked whether there were ram expanders
in the museum storage, and Ken said no.
I said, "Ram Expansion Units"; Bil
corrected me, "That name was used after
I had left." Bil half-seriously (half-jokingly?)
asked whether the museum would want a
loan of the Commodore LCD computer he
had. Jeri remarked that Commodore nerds
would come far and wide to see that
machine. I said that it should be protected
by bulletproof glass and guarded by a laser
beam alarm system. Bil said the price of
such an item was now $30K. I said, "Bil, I
thought at VCF East you said it was $20K".
He said that after everyone found out about
it, the price had gone up. ;-) And on we
joked.
Finally, at about 10:30 we left the
museum, Bil shaking my hand, Jeri
leaving with her Christmas gifts, and
everybody back to their place for the
night. Now I'm here at the Econo Lodge
in Gilroy for a few hours of sleep before
I have to hit the road for the 3-hour
drive directly back to school.

Truly,

rber...@value.net

Dec 11, 2007, 4:11:46 AM12/11/07
On Dec 11, 1:05 am, I wrote:

> Yes, after the event, Valerie Alston of CHM confirmed that a few
> days from now, the video should be able to be seen at their website.

In a few days, I should have a preliminary edit of my videos done
with all the extras -- the impromptu talk given by the guests in front
of the press corp, Jack Tramiel's talk given in front of CNET
reporters
and camera (I hope it comes out... the noise of the reception was
loud, even though we were in the other room, the Visible Storage
Area), Bil Herd's talk in front of the same CNET reporters, the panel
discussion covered by the 2 videocameras I brought, and the
aftermath of the discussion (but no video of the other half of the
CHM which Ken Summeril lead us through).
Those videos will then be sent to Dave Haynie for final
tweaking.

Mayhem

Dec 11, 2007, 6:16:51 AM12/11/07
Considering the Home Computer Wars was written by someone who worked
with them at Commodore, I'm interested to know in what way Bil and
Lenard thought it was wrong, misinformed or false. One book I am still
trying to get my hands on to read...

yock1960

Dec 11, 2007, 6:48:39 AM12/11/07

It's on the web....don't have a url handy...but not too difficult to
find.

redrumloa

Dec 11, 2007, 7:44:53 AM12/11/07

Damn, it sucks being in South Florida! I miss everything :-( In my
whole life I have been to one event, AmiWest 2003.

Nappe1

Dec 11, 2007, 12:07:17 PM12/11/07

lol, tell me about it... I am living at Finland (yeap, that's in
europe... aaaabout as north as Alaska is. ;) ) and just found out that
this marvelous thing has just slipped over me without noticing
earlier. (If I would have known something like this coming, I would
have definitely at least tired to arrange flights and accomodation for
this. Seing Jack Tramiel live and even talking about Commodore times
would really have been worth of it.)

oh well... luckily I was able to natch 1581 kit (which arrived today)
and A500 mechanic for it, so as soon as the mechanics arrive from
Germany, I have a old-new toy to play with... It's nowhere as cool as
seeing Jack and others like Herd, Ellsworth and Bagnall, but at least
something...

Waiting videos with great expectations. :)

Lasse 'Nappe1' Kärkkäinen
Kotka, Finland

Mark McDougall

Dec 11, 2007, 3:28:00 PM12/11/07
redrumloa wrote:

> Damn, it sucks being in South Florida! I miss everything :-( In my
> whole life I have been to one event, AmiWest 2003.

Try living down under and see how many events you get to... not to mention
reading the posts about Xevious cabinets being given away for free if you
come and pick them up... :(

Regards,

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"

christianlott1

Dec 11, 2007, 5:44:20 PM12/11/07
On Dec 11, 2:28 pm, Mark McDougall <msmcd...@no.spam.iinet> wrote:
> redrumloa wrote:

> Try living down under and see how many events you get to... not to mention
> reading the posts about Xevious cabinets being given away for free if you
> come and pick them up... :(

huh? where?

rber...@value.net

Dec 11, 2007, 6:26:18 PM12/11/07
CNET News has posted a report of the event.
Go to

http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-9832182-52.html?tag=nefd.top

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 11:50:10 AM12/12/07
On Dec 11, 9:07 am, Nappe1 <lasse.karkkai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seing Jack Tramiel live and even talking about Commodore times
> would really have been worth of it.)

I was surprised at how Jack enjoyed the limelight; he was
relaxed,
engaging, and confident. He was surrounded by family, friends,
industry types, admirers, and fans. He was greeted by so many
people... some he hadn't seen in a long time. In that event room of
400 attendees, the feeling was that of a great class reunion.
A side note... when the panel discussion ended, there was
resounding applause for Tramiel, Wozniak, Lowe, Chowaniec, and
host Markoff. As Bil Herd mentioned to me, only some of the
stories were scratched; there were many more not told. If only
the guests could have gone on... :-)

Truly,

joe.j....@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 11:55:37 AM12/12/07
On Dec 12, 11:50 am, rberna...@value.net wrote:
> A side note... when the panel discussion ended, there was
> resounding applause for Tramiel, Wozniak, Lowe, Chowaniec, and
> host Markoff.

That resounding applause, and standing ovation I tried twice to start,
was for the Tramiel, Tramiel, Tramiel, and Tramiel. ;-)

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 2:24:57 PM12/12/07
On Dec 12, 8:55 am, joe.j.cass...@gmail.com wrote:

> That resounding applause, and standing ovation I tried twice to start,
> was for the Tramiel, Tramiel, Tramiel, and Tramiel. ;-)

:-D You mean Jack, Jack's wife, Lenard, and...? ;-) I couldn't
stand
for any ovation; I was bogged down behind videocameras and
tripods. :-)

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 2:26:43 PM12/12/07
InfoWorld has posted an article of the event. Go to

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/12/commodore-64-anniversary_1.html

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 5:49:12 PM12/12/07
Computerworld has posted an article of the event. Go to

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052698&intsrc=hm_list

Hey, the same writer,

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 6:56:44 PM12/12/07
Macworld has posted an article of the event. Go to

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/12/innovators/index.php

It's the same Agam Shah article.

Mac Life has posted a blurb about the event at

http://www.maclife.com/article/time_picks_iphone_for_top_spot_again_and_woz_remembers_the_good_old_days

but when you click on the link to read more of the Commodore 64,
it shoots you over to the article at the InfoWorld site.

Truly,

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 12, 2007, 7:08:01 PM12/12/07
rber...@value.net writes:

> Computerworld has posted an article of the event. Go to
>http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052698&intsrc=hm_list
> Hey, the same writer,

Hey, substantially the same article ;)

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 9:58:56 PM12/12/07
Cameron, will you be making your photos and/or video available
for us to see? :-)

Truly,

rber...@value.net

Dec 12, 2007, 10:21:30 PM12/12/07
On Dec 11, 9:07 am, Nappe1 <lasse.karkkai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Waiting videos with great expectations. :)

Boing! CNET beat all of us to posting videos on the Net. See
a 2 minute, 25 second video of the event at

http://www.news.com/Celebrating-one-of-the-best-selling-PCs-ever/1606-2_3-6222379.html?tag=nefd.lede

Truly,

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 12, 2007, 11:36:02 PM12/12/07
rber...@value.net writes:

> Cameron, will you be making your photos and/or video available
>for us to see? :-)

The quad G5 is currently rendering a rough cut as we speak. I will try to
upload it to Google Video within the next couple of days. At some point I'll
make a DVD. I'm sure the version you will get from Dave Haynie will be much
better than my pathetic video work.

I tried cleaning up the audio but it's just not all that good. However, it
is largely intelligible. I'll post the link when it's up.

Anyway, here are some photos. This is Jack at the press reception:

http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0785.jpg

Jack and his wife, talking to Bil Herd:

http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0795.jpg

The cake Liquid Computing brought along:

http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0796.jpg

Bill Ward and I splitting the last piece:

http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0800.jpg

And last but not least, yours truly with Leonard and Jack:

http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0789.jpg

rber...@value.net

Dec 13, 2007, 12:09:01 AM12/13/07
On Dec 12, 8:36 pm, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> The quad G5 is currently rendering a rough cut as we speak.

What a machine!

> I will try to upload it to Google Video within the next couple of days.

Yes, better quality than YouTube.

> At some point I'll
> make a DVD. I'm sure the version you will get from Dave Haynie will be much
> better than my pathetic video work.

Well, we will see. All you had to manage was one videocamera,
and I had
to manage two. Let's see whether two angles on the event are really
any
better than one.
By the way, Ian Matthews of Commodore.ca wants my raw videos,
too,
and says he'll edit them together. So it looks as if I will be
mailing video
to Dave and to Ian.

> I tried cleaning up the audio but it's just not all that good. However, it
> is largely intelligible. I'll post the link when it's up.

O.K.

> Anyway, here are some photos. This is Jack at the press reception:
>
> http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0785.jpg

Nice. A little bit of cropping maybe needed.

> Jack and his wife, talking to Bil Herd:
>
> http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0795.jpg

I have the reverse angle on that.

> The cake Liquid Computing brought along:
>
> http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0796.jpg

Yup, I got that on the video.

> Bill Ward and I splitting the last piece:
>
> http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0800.jpg

Was it tasty? (me not having any cake to eat)

> And last but not least, yours truly with Leonard and Jack:
>
> http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0789.jpg

Oops, Jack is a bit droopy-eyed in that. But at least
you have a photo with them. I didn't have the courage to
ask for a photo with Jack.

Klompmeester

Dec 13, 2007, 5:52:36 AM12/13/07

<rber...@value.net> wrote in message

> On Dec 12, 8:36 pm, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>
>> The quad G5 is currently rendering a rough cut as we speak.
>
> What a machine!
>
>> I will try to upload it to Google Video within the next couple of days.
>
> Yes, better quality than YouTube.

Streaming quality is the same.

Klompmeester

Dec 13, 2007, 5:54:42 AM12/13/07

"Cameron Kaiser" <cka...@floodgap.com> wrote in message

> rber...@value.net writes:
>
>> Cameron, will you be making your photos and/or video available
>>for us to see? :-)
>
> The quad G5 is currently rendering a rough cut as we speak. I will try to
> upload it to Google Video within the next couple of days. At some point
> I'll
> make a DVD. I'm sure the version you will get from Dave Haynie will be
> much
> better than my pathetic video work.
>
> I tried cleaning up the audio but it's just not all that good. However, it
> is largely intelligible. I'll post the link when it's up.
>
> Anyway, here are some photos.

Thanks for those, Cameron.

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 13, 2007, 8:58:02 AM12/13/07
rber...@value.net writes:

>>I will try to upload it to Google Video within the next couple of days.
>Yes, better quality than YouTube.

Not really, but they will allow a clip this long (about 95 minutes).

[...]

>>Bill Ward and I splitting the last piece:

>Was it tasty? (me not having any cake to eat)

I thought the frosting was too sugary, but Bill liked it.

>>And last but not least, yours truly with Leonard and Jack:
>>http://www.floodgap.com/temp/qDSCN0789.jpg
>Oops, Jack is a bit droopy-eyed in that.

We discussed this at the show, I think ...

rber...@value.net

Dec 13, 2007, 11:53:03 AM12/13/07

On Dec 13, 5:58 am, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> We discussed this at the show, I think ...

Nah, I would remember something like that. :-)

rber...@value.net

Dec 13, 2007, 6:31:40 PM12/13/07
On Dec 10, 5:27 pm, I wrote:

> Everybody's still in the reception room, where no videocasting
> is set up.
> Host Markoff asked Lowe, Wozniak, and Tramiel to say some
> words...

Upon review of my tapes, I've found that I misidentified the host
at the press show. It was not N.Y. Times reporter John Markoff but
Brian Hurley of Liquid Computing.

rber...@value.net

Dec 13, 2007, 9:44:47 PM12/13/07
PC World has posted an article of the event. Go to

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006047.html

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 14, 2007, 8:55:01 AM12/14/07
References trimmed.

A rough cut should be up shortly at

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=504862715223996474&hl=en

I just noticed two typos while scanning the cut. I mistakenly rigged the date
as 12/11 (not 12/10), and it should be Monte Sereno, not Mount. This is what
you get for trying to do this quickly, but it takes about nine hours to
render, transcode and upload, so people can just deal with that for now.

The quality of the video is not very good because I had only a single camera,
there was audience activity I could not always get, and there were glitches
in the PA system. Robert's two camera video will undoubtedly be better, so
I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Message has been deleted

Klompmeester

Dec 14, 2007, 5:52:14 PM12/14/07

> References trimmed.
>
> A rough cut should be up shortly at
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=504862715223996474&hl=en
>
> I just noticed two typos while scanning the cut. I mistakenly rigged the
> date
> as 12/11 (not 12/10), and it should be Monte Sereno, not Mount. This is
> what
> you get for trying to do this quickly, but it takes about nine hours to
> render, transcode and upload, so people can just deal with that for now.

It's not nearly as important as the content.

Thank you very much for having it up so soon after the event, very much
appreciated.

rber...@value.net

Dec 14, 2007, 5:55:23 PM12/14/07
On Dec 14, 5:55 am, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> This is what
> you get for trying to do this quickly, but it takes about nine hours to
> render, transcode and upload, so people can just deal with that for now.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of rendering and burning the rough cuts
of *five*
DVDs. I should be able to post them off to Ian and Dave on Saturday
(Monday at the latest). Then it will be up to them to edit down all
that
footage.

> The quality of the video is not very good because I had only a single camera,
> there was audience activity I could not always get, and there were glitches
> in the PA system. Robert's two camera video will undoubtedly be better, so
> I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

If only I had had 3 videocameras and the mics and boompersons...
That
would have been sweet.

That would have been a production,

rber...@value.net

Dec 15, 2007, 2:33:29 AM12/15/07
If you all haven't seen them, 9 more photos are available,
starting at

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-179806-5.html

Also Jack Tramiel is interviewed at

http://www.news.com/The-man-behind-the-Commodore-64/2008-1042_3-6222406.html

Hey, I might have filmed part of
that interview,

rber...@value.net

Dec 15, 2007, 4:06:16 AM12/15/07
Whoa! Thanks to Al Kossow for telling this... the Impact of
the Commodore 64 event, filmed by the Computer History Museum,
is now available, along with many other videos, at

http://youtube.com/computerhistory

For those who want to go exactly to the event video, it is at

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NBvbsPNBIyk

A pro production,

christianlott1

Dec 15, 2007, 2:10:40 PM12/15/07
thanks that was awesome!

rber...@value.net

Dec 17, 2007, 2:40:19 PM12/17/07
Thanks to Larry Anderson for following up on this...
the Computer HIstory Museum now has the video of the
event at their website, in addition to the same one being
at YouTube. The CHM website video is downloadable
and of higher quality than that of the one at YouTube.
Go to

http://www.computerhistory.org/events/index.php?id=1193702785

and click on Full Lecture

Truly,

rber...@value.net

Dec 17, 2007, 11:12:35 PM12/17/07
On Dec 14, 2:55 pm, I wrote:

> Yeah, I'm in the middle of rendering and burning the rough cuts
> of *five* DVDs. I should be able to post them off to Ian and Dave
> on Saturday (Monday at the latest).

All the DVD copies have been mailed off to Ian and Dave.

Truly,

rber...@value.net

Dec 22, 2007, 4:29:19 PM12/22/07
The San Jose Mercury News newspaper has finally posted a report

of the event. Go to

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/12/a_few_words_with_jack_tramiel_and_the_commodore_64_gang.html

Truly,

bilherd

Dec 28, 2007, 12:54:48 PM12/28/07
I will testify to Robert's techno-aura equipment-wise. I was going to sit
between him and another guy who was shooting and realized that I would be in
the way of at least one person's panning motions or the other, not to
mention a significantly higher risk of electrcution.. In the end someone
else snagged the seat and so my sacrifice was in vane as they then had to
work around a stranger (I would have at least held the light meter).

All in all a good time was had by all, I don't like travel as a rule but
this 2 hours was worth the trip across the counttry and back. It was great
to see Jack Trameil and to see him looking healthy and relaxed.

Bil

Leonard and I had never met before that else) and that we were equallnight
and I found it somewhat halarious that we both had the exact same opinioun
of "that book" and "that author" (not Brian, someoney as vocal about it.
There is a core of truths and stories from the old days and then something
of a fringe element. I have logged on to Monster's resume board only to
find two other people claim to be the father of a computer I designed from
scratch as a comical example.

<rber...@value.net> wrote in message

rber...@value.net

Dec 28, 2007, 6:46:13 PM12/28/07
On Dec 28, 9:54 am, Bil Herd wrote:

> I will testify to Robert's techno-aura equipment-wise.

Heh, the more equipment I bring, the less I can relax and just
enjoy myself at a show. One day I will go to a show *without*
any gear! (shocking!) ;-)

> I was going to sit
> between him and another guy who was shooting and realized that
> I would be in the way of at least one person's panning motions or

> the other...

That would have been Cameron Kaiser.

> ...not to mention a significantly higher risk of electrcution.

Only if you had shorted out his lithium batteries. ;-)

> I don't like travel as a rule but
> this 2 hours was worth the trip across the counttry and back.

After all these years of travel, I used to it.

> It was great
> to see Jack Trameil and to see him looking healthy and relaxed.

Agreed.

> Leonard and I had never met before that  else) and that we were equallnight
> and I found it somewhat halarious that we both had the exact same opinioun
> of "that book" and "that author" (not Brian, someoney as vocal about it.
> There is a core of truths and stories from the old days and then something
> of a fringe element.

That "other" book... ;-)

> I have logged on to Monster's resume board only to
> find two other people claim to be the father of a computer I designed from
> scratch as a comical example.

That's weird. Were they in CBM?

Klompmeester

Dec 29, 2007, 4:48:13 AM12/29/07

On Dec 28, 9:54 am, Bil Herd wrote:

> I will testify to Robert's techno-aura equipment-wise.

Heh, the more equipment I bring, the less I can relax and just
enjoy myself at a show. One day I will go to a show *without*
any gear! (shocking!) ;-)

Why do you take so much gear to the point? What do you do with all that
video?

rber...@value.net

Jan 13, 2008, 5:24:25 AM1/13/08
Several more photos taken at the Dec. 10
Computer History Museum's "Impact of the
Commodore 64" event with Jack Tramiel are
now on-line at

http://www.dickestel.com/comm25ann.htm

Truly,

Sam Gillett

Jan 13, 2008, 1:30:27 PM1/13/08

<rber...@value.net> wrote ...

> Several more photos taken at the Dec. 10
> Computer History Museum's "Impact of the
> Commodore 64" event with Jack Tramiel are
> now on-line at
>
> http://www.dickestel.com/comm25ann.htm

Good pictures of Jack. And that is a nice looking C64 too! ;-)
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

Klompmeester

Jan 14, 2008, 4:20:22 AM1/14/08

> Several more photos taken at the Dec. 10
> Computer History Museum's "Impact of the
> Commodore 64" event with Jack Tramiel are
> now on-line at

The FCUG table looked a bit, well... sparse.

rber...@value.net

Jan 14, 2008, 10:09:14 PM1/14/08
On Jan 13, 10:30 am, Sam Gillett wrote:

> Good pictures of Jack.

Thanks!

> And that is a nice looking C64 too!    ;-)

Heh, next to the newsletters, photos, and application forms, the
C64 originally sat on the FCUG informational table. When the talk
ended, Jack Tramiel started leaving, and I had to drop all equipment,
rush to the table, grab the C64, run back (excuse me... excuse me...
coming through... coming through...) to the conference room, and ask
Jack to autograph it.

CHM wouldn't let me place the FCUG
table nearer to the conference room,

rber...@value.net

Jan 14, 2008, 10:23:23 PM1/14/08
In a follow-up to the CHM event, Computerworld has
posted an interview with Amiga v.p. of technology, Adam
Chowaniec. He talks a bit about the Commodore and a
lot about Amiga. Go to

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052598

rber...@value.net

Jan 17, 2008, 8:06:38 PM1/17/08
On Dec 17 2007, 8:12 pm, I wrote:

> All the DVD copies have been mailed off to Ian and Dave.

Ian has replied that he is "now starting to work on cutting
up the content". He remarks, "There is a lot of "great stuff"
in that...", and he will post it up as he goes, i.e., he will put
it up section by section when he finishes with each.

rber...@value.net

Jan 22, 2008, 1:17:10 AM1/22/08
Jan 23, 2008, 12:19:16 AM1/23/08
From: Ian Matthews
Date: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:43 pm
Subject: MANY New Commodore Related Video Interviews

Thanks to Robert Bernardo's video work and 1.5 solid days
of editing and converting by www.commodore.ca, we now
have a substantial amount of video content posted from the
Computer History Museum's: Impact of the Commodore 64.

Note that many of these files are large and we only have a
limited amount of bandwidth. As such I recommend that
you RIGHT CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE LINK AND
SELECT "SAVE TARGET AS" to download the files to
your computer rather than having them run through your
browser

http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/video/video.htm

Bil Herd - Commodore C128, Plus/4, Early Days
Bil Herd - Everyone Worked for Jack Tramiel
Bill Lowe - Father of the IBM PC
Jack Tramiel - Atari Deal, Amiga Chips, Irving Gould
Jack Tramiel - MOS Technology was Critical
Jack Tramiel - Commodore History His Own Words
Jack Tramiel - Commodore History - Interview
Steve Wozniak - Tries to Sell Apple to Commodore

NOTE: In a few weeks/months I will re-sort these
videos into the appropriate sections of our video page.

rber...@value.net

Jan 26, 2008, 2:25:08 PM1/26/08
On Sat, January 26, 2008 10:56 am, Raymond Day wrote:

> I was looking around and found this:
>
> http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-31867.html

It's an edited video put out by Geek Entertainment
TV and Blip.tv. The full Jack Tramiel video interview
is at http://blip.tv/file/564449 , and the full Leonard
Tramiel interview is at http://blip.tv/file/564483 .
I can't find the full Steve Wozniak and Bill Lowe
interviews at Blip.tv, and so if you find them, let
us know. At least the edited video gives us part of
their interviews.

Thanks for the info,