[Found!] Ultima: Escape From Mt. Drash

Edward Franks

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
patience) has paid off. :)

I am going to contact Sierra and Origin to see if I can get this
game released as freeware for the Vic-20 emulators (with all copyrights
still held by Sierra and Origin).

I would like to thank everyone that offered help, comments,
sympathy, Mt. Drash sightings and even offers of additional money. I
especially would like to thank Ward Shrake for his above and beyond the
call of camaraderie help. His knowledge, enthusiasm, and help kept me
from abandoning the quest.

I've included a link to my web site where I have a number scans of
the box front, the reference card and the front and back of the
cassette. <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/>

So enjoy this new year without any more Mt. Drash WTBs from me.
;)

Thanks,
Edward

(And no, I'm not going to sell it. :))

--

Edward Franks
<for...@earthlink.net>

Edward Franks

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
My glass typewriter shows kh6...@nospamPE.NET typing...
> Yahooo! Congrats.

Thank you. :)

--

Edward Franks
<for...@earthlink.net>

Edward Franks

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
My glass typewriter shows Dave R. typing...
[Snip]
> I don't believe it. I simply don't believe it.

I didn't either until it arrived. Now I know it exists. :)

> Good work! I hope you do get the rights. I'm sure there are lots of people
> who are dying to see what this game is like after hearing about it for three
> years. :)

That's what I figured. I'm going to do my damnedest to see it
released as freeware.

--

Fortran Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
Hidalgo Trading Company: <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/>

Hernan Vergara

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Hi Edward,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Edward Franks wrote:

> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
> Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
> ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
> patience) has paid off. :)

Congrats!!!!! (read: thanks God!) ;^)

Matthew Montchalin

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

Megacongrats!!!!! :)

kh6...@nospampe.net

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Yahooo! Congrats.

Edward Franks <for...@earthlink.net> wrote:

[...]

: ;)

: Thanks,
: Edward

: (And no, I'm not going to sell it. :))

: --

: Edward Franks
: <for...@earthlink.net>

Bob Masse' kh6...@nospamPE.NET I If you can't dazzle them with I
*remove nospam to reply* I brilliance I
-------------------------------- I Then baffle them with bullshit I
-------------------------------------

Dave R.

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In article <MPG.12dd9b93f...@news.alt.net>, Edward Franks <for...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
>Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
>ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
>patience) has paid off. :)

I don't believe it. I simply don't believe it.

Good work! I hope you do get the rights. I'm sure there are lots of people

who are dying to see what this game is like after hearing about it for three
years. :)

Dr. Watson/Solitary Dragon

Alex Slater

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:45:57 -0600, Edward Franks
<for...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
>Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
>ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
>patience) has paid off. :)

Damn that's excellent news. It's seems like forever that you've been
after that puppy :-)

Cheers,
Alex.

Game Lord

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Man, that is freakin' sweet!
I had a hunch of its existence. After all, there were many people over the
last three years whom said they had it but did not want to sell it.
Ed, how did you come across this copy anyway, and in the box, nonetheless?
Being a V20 collector, mostly carts, I have decided that I would hold on
to any cassettes I may come across as well. I definitely would like to
have a copy, if you would care to make one. That is, after you are granted
the right to release it as freeware. THAT would be cool.
Definitely let us know.
Take care.

GL

Christopher A. King

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In article <MPG.12dd9b93f...@news.alt.net>, for...@earthlink.net
says...

> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
>Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
>ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
>patience) has paid off. :)

Could you at least, though, continue to post the "wanted" message here
every once in a great while, just so that we don't get *too* homesick?
I don't think that things will ever be quite the same here again, what
with not being able to see that header pop up in c.s.c every couple of
weeks or so... :^)

Seriously, though, congratulations on finding what you've been looking
for. It must be quite gratifying to see the persistence pay off.

C.K.

Cameron Kaiser

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
cki...@ford.com (Christopher A. King) writes:

>> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
>>Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
>>ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
>>patience) has paid off. :)

>Could you at least, though, continue to post the "wanted" message here
>every once in a great while, just so that we don't get *too* homesick?

*snort Dr. Pepper* Fortunately, it looks like the 128 is none the worse
for spatter. Put a C&C warning on this next time! ;-P

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@stockholm.ptloma.edu * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://calvin.flactem.com:3001/~spectre/ >> temporary <<

Edward Franks

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
My glass typewriter shows Hernan Vergara typing...
[Snip]

> Congrats!!!!! (read: thanks God!) ;^)

;p

Edward Franks

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
My glass typewriter shows Matthew Montchalin typing...
[Snip]
> Megacongrats!!!!! :)

Thank you.

Edward Franks

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
My glass typewriter shows Alex Slater typing...
[Snip]

> Damn that's excellent news. It's seems like forever that you've been
> after that puppy :-)

Thanks. I was amazed when I did a search in DejaNews and found
that I have looking for three years.

Edward Franks

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
My glass typewriter shows Markus Mehring typing...
[Snip]
> No more? Halleluja!

Yep. Those once-a-week posts just won't be swamping comp.sys.cbm
any more. Your posts will have just a little bit more room. Hey!
Better make that post quick before someone takes my vacant slot.

:)

Edward Franks

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
My glass typewriter shows Christopher A. King typing...
[Snip]

> Could you at least, though, continue to post the "wanted" message here
> every once in a great while, just so that we don't get *too* homesick?

<rotfl>

> I don't think that things will ever be quite the same here again, what
> with not being able to see that header pop up in c.s.c every couple of
> weeks or so... :^)

Heehee. Better be careful what you wish for. Others might follow
my example. ;)

> Seriously, though, congratulations on finding what you've been looking
> for. It must be quite gratifying to see the persistence pay off.

Thank you. It _is_ gratifying to succeed after such a long time
of trying. I knew when I started that the search would be long and
hard, but I never imagined that it would be _this_ long.

Hernan Vergara

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Hi Frank,

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Edward Franks wrote:

> My glass typewriter shows Hernan Vergara typing...
> [Snip]
> > Congrats!!!!! (read: thanks God!) ;^)
>
> ;p

You persistence finally paid up. :-)

Hernan

Matthew Montchalin

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Edward Franks wrote:

|My glass typewriter shows Markus Mehring typing...
|[Snip]
|> No more? Halleluja!
|
| Yep. Those once-a-week posts just won't be swamping comp.sys.cbm
|any more. Your posts will have just a little bit more room. Hey!
|Better make that post quick before someone takes my vacant slot.

But what will be the next thing for you to seek out and obtain??!

DMoody3042

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Given the three years it took to obtain an original copy of this game, I think
it may be wise to make copies of the original available, so at least there are
copies of this program, assuming you can get it released as freeware. I can bet
that there are a lot of people, including me, that would be more than willing
to compensate you for your time in copying this rare program for them.

NOTE: before everyone gets riled up, it is not legal to sell a PD program, but
it is certainly allowable to be compensated for time and materials needed to
make copies available to others.
Dwight D. Moody

Don Judy

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Edward Franks wrote:

> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
> Escape From Mt. Drash.
>
> Edward Franks
> <for...@earthlink.net>

Stranger Than Fiction?! A vicarious sense of satisfaction and
relief shoots up the spine and explodes in the inner sanctum.
Somewhere, a small tape tree is planted ... a symbolic gesture
perhaps, since the mighty 'net (that's Usenet) has usurped its
role.

Congratulations, Edward.

dj

MagerValp

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

Edward> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally
Edward> found Ultima: Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a
Edward> little over three years ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now
Edward> my persistence (and your patience) has paid off. :)

Congratulations! Where did you find it? And have you played it yet?
Can't wait for some screenshots.

Edward> So enjoy this new year without any more Mt. Drash WTBs
Edward> from me. ;)

Aw.

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . . Per Olofsson, konstnär

Edward Franks

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
My glass typewriter shows DMoody3042 typing...

> Given the three years it took to obtain an original copy of this game, I think
> it may be wise to make copies of the original available, so at least there are
> copies of this program, assuming you can get it released as freeware. I can bet
> that there are a lot of people, including me, that would be more than willing
> to compensate you for your time in copying this rare program for them.

Don't worry. :) I plan on making backups and storing them in one
of my fireproof boxes. I will also print out the source code, if
possible (the game is supposed to be written in Basic).

> NOTE: before everyone gets riled up, it is not legal to sell a PD program, but
> it is certainly allowable to be compensated for time and materials needed to
> make copies available to others.

I hate to say this, but you have it wrong. Public domain items
have no copyright, thus making it quite legal to copy and/or sell them.
An example of this would be _The Federalist Papers_. Anyone can publish
a copy of _The Federalist Papers_ (unlike, say, a current bestseller).

Until the copyright holder gives me permission, I legally have to
refrain from making copies. I plan on pursuing the copyright holders
quite vigorously to get them to declare this game copyrighted freeware.
Once that is done I will be quite happy to make copies for people.

I *want* this game available to people, but I am going to do it
the right way.

Edward Franks

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
My glass typewriter shows Hernan Vergara typing...
[Snip]
> You persistence finally paid up. :-)

Rather, my persistence paid out. :)

(It was definitely worth it!)

Edward Franks

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
My glass typewriter shows Matthew Montchalin typing...
[Snip]
> But what will be the next thing for you to seek out and obtain??!

Perhaps the black box version of Ultima ][. It would be nice to
have a copy of it. I'm also interested in a couple of other rare
Japanese versions of Ultima, specifically the Sharp X68000 version of
Ultima V and the SNES (Super Famicom) version of Savage Empire.

Edward Franks

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
My glass typewriter shows Don Judy typing...
[Snip]
> Stranger Than Fiction?!

Reality does that at times. :)

> A vicarious sense of satisfaction and
> relief shoots up the spine and explodes in the inner sanctum.
> Somewhere, a small tape tree is planted ... a symbolic gesture
> perhaps, since the mighty 'net (that's Usenet) has usurped its
> role.
>
> Congratulations, Edward.

Thank you. I love your description.

Edward Franks

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
My glass typewriter shows MagerValp typing...
[Snip]

> Congratulations! Where did you find it? And have you played it yet?
> Can't wait for some screenshots.

Someone finally answered one of my many WTB ads. :)

I haven't played it yet. I need a Vic-20. I waited until I had
the game to pick one up. Luckily they are easier to come by than Mt.
Drashs. ;)

As soon as I can I'll put some screenshots up.

Edward Franks

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
My glass typewriter shows Game Lord typing...

> Man, that is freakin' sweet!
> I had a hunch of its existence. After all, there were many people over the
> last three years whom said they had it but did not want to sell it.

My problem is that only one of those people that claimed to have a
Mt. Drash could actually come up with some evidence of owning or
actually having seen the game. None of them could come up with a scan
of the box (besides the one already out there) and only one person could
describe to me the back of the box. <sigh>

I met some very nice people and a number of less savory people. I
prefer to forget the latter and praise the former.

> Ed, how did you come across this copy anyway, and in the box, nonetheless?

One guy answered one of my many ads. <grin>

> Being a V20 collector, mostly carts, I have decided that I would hold on
> to any cassettes I may come across as well. I definitely would like to
> have a copy, if you would care to make one. That is, after you are granted
> the right to release it as freeware. THAT would be cool.

Oh, I will let everyone know when this gets released as freeware.
:) I'm a firm believer in seeing these old games legally made available
for us enthusiasts.

Matthew Montchalin

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Edward Franks wrote:

|My glass typewriter shows Matthew Montchalin typing...
|[Snip]
|> But what will be the next thing for you to seek out and obtain??!
|
| Perhaps the black box version of Ultima ][. It would be nice to
|have a copy of it. I'm also interested in a couple of other rare
|Japanese versions of Ultima, specifically the Sharp X68000 version of
|Ultima V and the SNES (Super Famicom) version of Savage Empire.

Yes, those sound pretty good things to go after. :)

white...@my-deja.com

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
darn. There goes the official comp.sys.cbm Make Money Fast scheme.

;)

--
White Flame (aka David Holz)
http://fly.to/theflame

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Edward Franks

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
My glass typewriter shows white...@my-deja.com typing...

> darn. There goes the official comp.sys.cbm Make Money Fast scheme.
>
> ;)

:p

It never worked in the first place. You see, I knew the magic
word ( "COD" ) that killed the MMF immediately.

Edward Franks

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
My glass typewriter shows Matthew Montchalin typing...
[Snip]
> Yes, those sound pretty good things to go after. :)

I like the rarities. Having every version of, say, Ultima IV,
doesn't appeal to me. There isn't anything wrong with that type of
collecting, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Markus Brenner

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
Edward Franks <for...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally found Ultima:
>Escape From Mt. Drash. I started this hunt a little over three years
>ago to the day (Jan. 03, 1997) and now my persistence (and your
>patience) has paid off. :)

Wheee Fortran! Congratulations!!! If somebody deserved to find one it's you :)

> I am going to contact Sierra and Origin to see if I can get this
>game released as freeware for the Vic-20 emulators (with all copyrights
>still held by Sierra and Origin).

Great! I hope you will have success!

> I've included a link to my web site where I have a number scans of
> the box front, the reference card and the front and back of the
> cassette. <http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/>

I see after all it _is_ a cassette game :) You might want to own a digital
copy of the cassette, here are some instructions how to do this:

Please go to my C64/C128 website at
http://arnold.c64.org/~minstrel

There are some instructions on how to build/buy an adapter to connect a real
Commodore Datasette to your PC's parallel port. Also grab my 'mtap' program
from the site. Once you have the Datasette connected, you can use it to record
the program from the original tape to a 'TAP' file.

This 'TAP' file is a low-level emulator format of a VIC-20 cassette. You can
use VICE/xvic to play the game straight from that TAP. You can also use my
'ptap' program to play back the TAP file to a new cassette via the Datasette
recorder again, so you can make 'fresh' copies of your original.

Cheers,

-markus/minstrel

----
Markus Brenner -==(UDIC)==- Net boy, net girl
AKA \\// Send your impulse 'round the world
Minstrel Dragon (\/) Put your message in a modem
Polite Squirrel \/ and throw it in the Cyber Sea (Rush)

Lord High Mucketty-muck of the UDIC Greybeards (tm)
email: mar...@brenner.de * WWW: http://www.biochem.mpg.de/~brenner/

Niall Tracey

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
Edward Franks (for...@earthlink.net) wrote:

: Until the copyright holder gives me permission, I legally have to

: refrain from making copies. I plan on pursuing the copyright holders
: quite vigorously to get them to declare this game copyrighted freeware.
: Once that is done I will be quite happy to make copies for people.

: I *want* this game available to people, but I am going to do it
: the right way.

I was really annoyed with Origin. I was planning on buying 'The Ultima
Collection' for my PC as a 'licence' to get the C64 games. I emailed
Origin to ask if that was OK, then got absolutely no reply.

Sods.

--
NT As long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any
\ \/ /conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for

Edward Franks

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
My glass typewriter shows Markus Brenner typing...
[Snip]

> Wheee Fortran! Congratulations!!! If somebody deserved to find one it's you :)

Thank you. :)

[Snip]

> I see after all it _is_ a cassette game :) You might want to own a digital
> copy of the cassette, here are some instructions how to do this:
>
> Please go to my C64/C128 website at
> http://arnold.c64.org/~minstrel
>
> There are some instructions on how to build/buy an adapter to connect a real
> Commodore Datasette to your PC's parallel port. Also grab my 'mtap' program
> from the site. Once you have the Datasette connected, you can use it to record
> the program from the original tape to a 'TAP' file.
>
> This 'TAP' file is a low-level emulator format of a VIC-20 cassette. You can
> use VICE/xvic to play the game straight from that TAP. You can also use my
> 'ptap' program to play back the TAP file to a new cassette via the Datasette
> recorder again, so you can make 'fresh' copies of your original.

Thanks for the information. I think a backup to a CD-ROM would be
in order considering how difficult it was to obtain this game.

Hmm. Were many (any?) of the cassettes copy-protected? If they
aren't I might print out a copy of the source as well.

Edward Franks

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
My glass typewriter shows Niall Tracey typing...
[Snip]

> I was really annoyed with Origin. I was planning on buying 'The Ultima
> Collection' for my PC as a 'licence' to get the C64 games. I emailed
> Origin to ask if that was OK, then got absolutely no reply.

Yeah. I wish Origin would grant people that liberty. It would
make playing the old games more enjoyable for those of use that love the
old games and the old computers.

> Sods.

<chuckle>

Matthew Montchalin

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00

What did the package look like, anyway? Was it professionally printed
with four colors? Did the cassette come inside a box with a plastic case
just for holding the cassette?

What do the doc's look like?

Markus Brenner

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
Edward Franks <for...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> This 'TAP' file is a low-level emulator format of a VIC-20 cassette. You can
>> use VICE/xvic to play the game straight from that TAP. You can also use my
>> 'ptap' program to play back the TAP file to a new cassette via the Datasette
>> recorder again, so you can make 'fresh' copies of your original.

> Hmm. Were many (any?) of the cassettes copy-protected? If they

>aren't I might print out a copy of the source as well.

Well, 'copy protection' has always been very limited on cassettes. Of course
most games (at least on the C64) used fast loaders to shorten loading times,
so you basically have to disassemble the loader to be able to read in the main
body of the program. OTOH Mt. Drash seems to be _really_ old, so chances are
it's just one big piece of BASIC program. (maybe with some kind of auto-start
trick). Anyway, if it really is BASIC then extracting the BASIC code shouldn't
be very hard. (VICE, the VC-20 emulator, could be very handy - just load in
the whole program, then you can freely browse through memory using the
built-in monitor).

Cheers,

-markus