New Hardrive

fre...@webtv.net

Jul 7, 2002, 5:24:08 PM7/7/02
Ok, I am using BeOS Pro 5.03, with an Abit Be6 II board. I currently use
a WD Cavier hard drive, and want to get a WD Specail Edition hardrive,
with it's 8mb of cache. Now is there an easy and fast way to transfer
all my info, from my old drive, to the new one, and make it bootable,
without burning CDs, for transfer to the new drive. Thanks for the
time---Dwight

Shice Beoney

Jul 9, 2002, 9:57:26 AM7/9/02
On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:24:08 -0600 (MDT), fre...@webtv.net <fre...@webtv.net>
wrote:

If you can have both drives in the machine at once, you can just use the
"Installer" program in BeOS to install from your current drive to the new
one. You may have to create the partition, though - fairly simple using
DriveSetup.

--
I'm on all the best USENET HAET LITS OF HAET!!!111
"People who are on the Team ReVoLuTiOn Hit List (Version 1.0)

fre...@webtv.net

Jul 10, 2002, 5:04:26 AM7/10/02
>shice...@insurgent.org
>(Shice Beoney) wrote

>If you can have both drives in the
>machine at once, you can just use the
>"Installer" program in BeOS to install
>from your current drive to the new one.
>You may have to create the partition,
>though - fairly simple using DriveSetup.

Thank you. Yes I can install both at once, and I figured it could be
done, but wanted to ask first. I knew I would have to set up the BFS
partition first, but wasn't sure if I needed to use the original CD, or
if could do it all inside the OS. Now I know<G>--Dwight

kh

Jul 11, 2002, 7:26:09 PM7/11/02

I can vouch for Installer. As part of my migration to my son's new
Athlon 1800, last week I moved my Be installation to a temporary
partition on his new 40GB hard drive, completely reformatted the old
10GB hard drive, then re-installed my Be back onto it. Installer just
does it - system, programs, personal files, settings - without a murmur.

The only snag I had was a curious fault with BeMail which failed to see
any of my People files, or signatures. Fixed by deleting them and
copying them in again.

Also, have a boot floppy ready. I may be wrong but I think you'll need
it for the first boot of the new drive since it won't have a valid boot
signature of its own until after you've run Bootman (or whatever other
boot manager you want to use).

Nigel Malthus.

Shice Beoney

Jul 11, 2002, 8:51:37 PM7/11/02
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:26:09 +1200, kh <k...@caverock.net.nz> wrote:

<snip>

> The only snag I had was a curious fault with BeMail which failed to see
> any of my People files, or signatures. Fixed by deleting them and
> copying them in again.

That's because Installer doesn't copy attribute indices over (you'll
probably find that attribute queries on mail files or mp3s won't work). The
easy way is to duplicate the whole directory, then delete the originals. The
less time-consuming way is to get the "reindex" app off BeBits.

reindex -r -v "MAIL:*" mail/
reindex -r -v "META:*" people/
reindex -r -v "AUDIO:*" mp3/