Falcon030 -vs- 1200 -vs- Performa 400 (Not a flame, Please don't flame)

Kevin J. Klasmeier

Mar 14, 1993, 1:15:55 PM3/14/93
I just got this file from GEnie. I take no responsibilities for any error.
This is strictly for your information and enjoyment. This is not ment for
flames. This is not to be read by the mentally immature. This is a complete
comparison of three fine machines.

Enjoy:

Here is a technical comparison between Atari's new Falcon 030, Commodore's

new Amiga 1200 and Apple's new Performa 400. All of these machines are aimed at

the home computer user in price and power. They each feature their own
Multitasking Graphic User Interface (GUI) operating system, which is not
compatible with MS-DOS. Each of these computers has their own software library.
They are all based on Motorola brand CPU's. You won't find "Intel inside" any of
these machines, unless it's in the form of an emulator board! ;^>

Atari Falcon CBM Amiga 1200 Apple Performa 400
CPU 68030 68EC020 68030
speed(Mhz) 16 14.32 16
MIPS 3.84 2.5 3.84
data path(bit) 32(16used w/COMBEL) 32 32(16 used)

address space(bit) 24 24 24
instruction cache 256 bytes 256 bytes 256 bytes
data cache 256 bytes no 256 bytes

FPU optional optional optional
socket on board yes no no
type 68881/68882 68881/68882 68881/68882

DSP yes no no
type 56001 N/A N/A
speed(Mhz) 32 N/A N/A
MIPS 16 N/A N/A

MEMORY & EXPANSION
ram(base model) 4MB(32bit) 2MB(32bit CHIP) 4MB(16bit)
max ram 14 MB 10 MB(>w/3rd party) 10MB
type proprietary proprietary/PCMCIA SIMM
rom 512K 512K to 2MB 512K

DISK DRIVES
floppy 3.5" 1.44HD 3.5" 880K 3.5" 1.44HD
format Atari\MS-DOS(SAME) Amiga w\MS-DOS Mac w\MS-DOS
hard internal internal internal
type 2.5" IDE 2.5" IDE 3.5" SCSI
size 65MB 40MB 80MB

I/O PORTS
mouse/joystick 2reg 2analog 2 reg 1 mouse/ADB
serial RS-232C RS-232 2 RS-422
parallel BI-directional Centronics no
video-out analog RGB\VGA analog\RGB\VGA analog RGB\VGA
composite\RF composite\RF
audio-in stereo 1/8"mini no mono RCA
-out stereo 1/8"mini stereo RCA mono RCA
external floppy no yes no
internal IDE yes yes no
external SCSI yes (SCSI II w/DMA) no yes
midi in, out/thru no no
DSP yes (1 MHZ trans) no no
network Localtalk LAN no Appletalk LAN

EXPANSION internal bus exp cpu expansion slot Processor
128K cartridge PCMCIA 2(16bit) Direct Slot
DSP port
SOUND
resolution 16bit\50Khz 8bit\50Khz 8bit\22Khz
channels 8 4 1
input yes\stereo no yes\mono
output stereo stereo mono
internal speaker yes no yes

VIDEO
resolution
-minimum 320x200 320x200 640x480
-maximum 640x480 1280x400\640x960(i) 640x480
palette(colors) 262,144 16.8 million 16.8 million
maximum displayed 65,536(640x400) 256,000(all res) 256(to 32K)
overscan yes yes no

MISC
clock yes no yes
keyboard type attached full attached full detached full

OPERATING SYSTEM
type multitasking gui multitasking gui multitasking gui
location rom\disk rom\disk rom\disk

PRICE
retail $1299.00 $1099.00 $1450.00
street N/A $850.00 $1100.00

SOFTWARE(included)
Atari Falcon 030: MultiTOS 4.0-operating system
SpeedoGDOS-scalable font extension w/14 Bitstream fonts
Falcon D2D-audio direct to disk recording & editing
Atari Works-integrated word processor,database,spreadsheet
Audio Fun Machine-DSP digital audio FX
System Audio Manager-record & assign sounds to system event
Various Accessory programs:calculator,calendar,Talking Clock
games, etc.

CBM Amiga 1200 AmigaDOS 3.0-operating system
CrossDOS-allows reading & writing MS-DOS format disks
*Deluxe Paint IV AGA-full featured 2D paint & animation
*Final Copy-full featured word processor
Various Utility Programs:Calculator,screenblanker etc.
(*indicates a limited time offer)

Apple Performa 400 System 7.1-operating system
Symantec Greatworks-integrated word processor,database,
spreadsheet,charting,paint & telecomm program
At Ease-program launcher
Teleware M.Y.O.B.-checkbook & cardfile program
T/Maker Clip Art-business graphics
Various Accessory programs:calculator,alarm clock,games etc.
* (This software package may vary depending on place of purchase)

FINAL NOTES: The Atari & Commodore machines are housed in a single case. They do
NOT have detached keyboards. The Atari Falcon is in the same case as it's
predecessor the 1040STE, and the Amiga 1200 is in a restyled case similar to the
Amiga 500. Also, each of these computers is available without a hard drive for
less money. However, models with hard drives were used for comparison purposes.

These configuraions are those as supplied by the manufacturer. Individual
dealers may offer other configuration options. The Apple Performa 400 has a
separate keyboard, it is in the same case as the MAC LCII(In fact, that's
exactly what it is!).
The Atari & Commodore machines can operate at many different screen
resolutions and would require a multisync monitor for optimum flexibility. Also,
the Commodore Amiga 1200's maximum resolutions are interlaced(i). It's maximum
non-interlaced resolution is 640x480. Both the Atari Falcon & Commodore Amiga
1200 will also overscan, giving them more resolution in that mode and making
them suitable for Desk Top Video (DTV). The Apple Performa would require an
analog VGA type monitor. With additional Video Ram, the Performa can display up

to 32,000 colors maximum.
The data path on the Atari Falcon is listed as 32bits wide with 16 bits
used with COMBEL. The COMBEL chip sits between the CPU and the memory chips.
The bus from the CPU to the COMBEL chip is 16 bits, however, since there are no

waitstates on this bus, it operates at rates comparable to 32 bits. The bus from
the COMBEL to the memory is 32 bits. The data path on the Performa is 32 bits
wide, although only 16 are used and the RAM accessed is 16 bits.
The Atari Falcon is the only computer here with a DSP (digital signal
processor) chip.

revivsion 1.3
Information compiled by Ken Baum 1992/93
E-mail on GEnie or Delphi:<KEBAUM>
Sources: Amiga World, Amiga Format, AtariUser, ST Format, MACWorld
GEnie & Delphi.

That is what was written. Please (for the mentally immature), DON'T START
RIPPING EACH OTHER'S MACHINES APART. This is a nice comparison of 3 fine
machines.....Take it in stride and let those of us who appreciate the strengths
and weaknesses of each machine enjoy...

Thanks...

+-------------------------------------+_
| *> Kevin Klasmeier | |
| *> NET: klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu | |
| *> GEnie: K.KLASMEIER | |
| [Cincinnati, Ohio in the US of A] | |
+-------------------------------------+ |
'--------------------------------------'

Ricardo Hernandez Muchado

Mar 14, 1993, 10:57:00 PM3/14/93
In article <C3w5E...@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:
|> I just got this file from GEnie. I take no responsibilities for any error.
|> This is strictly for your information and enjoyment. This is not ment for
|> flames. This is not to be read by the mentally immature. This is a complete
|> comparison of three fine machines.
|>

|> Enjoy:

Kevin, I have no intent on just jumping in "'cause I like my Amiga", but
because there are some things here that have not been told. Additions
follows to the table (read the table below). My last concern is:
who compiled this information?

|> _______________________________________________________________________________
|>

|> Here is a technical comparison between Atari's new Falcon 030, Commodore's
|>
|> new Amiga 1200 and Apple's new Performa 400. All of these machines are aimed at
|>
|> the home computer user in price and power. They each feature their own
|> Multitasking Graphic User Interface (GUI) operating system, which is not
|> compatible with MS-DOS. Each of these computers has their own software library.
|> They are all based on Motorola brand CPU's. You won't find "Intel inside" any of
|> these machines, unless it's in the form of an emulator board! ;^>
|>
|> Atari Falcon CBM Amiga 1200 Apple Performa 400
|> CPU 68030 68EC020 68030
|> speed(Mhz) 16 14.32 16
|> MIPS 3.84 2.5 3.84

^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^
With what benchmarks? Or 'benchmarks?'

# of Sprites 0 8 0
Sprite size n/a 64 wide x height n/a
of screen
colors/sprite n/a 16 out of 24 bits n/a
dual-playfields no yes - 16 colors no
each out of 24-bit
Graphics coprocessor(s) yes yes no
BLiTTER Blitter, copper n/a

|> MISC
|> clock yes no yes
|> keyboard type attached full attached full detached full
|>
|> OPERATING SYSTEM
|> type multitasking gui multitasking gui multitasking gui
|> location rom\disk rom\disk rom\disk

multitasking type ???? fully preemptive cooperative

|> PRICE
|> retail $1299.00 $1099.00 $1450.00
|> street N/A $850.00 $1100.00
|>
|> SOFTWARE(included)
|> Atari Falcon 030: MultiTOS 4.0-operating system
|> SpeedoGDOS-scalable font extension w/14 Bitstream fonts
|> Falcon D2D-audio direct to disk recording & editing
|> Atari Works-integrated word processor,database,spreadsheet
|> Audio Fun Machine-DSP digital audio FX
|> System Audio Manager-record & assign sounds to system event
|> Various Accessory programs:calculator,calendar,Talking Clock
|> games, etc.
|>

|> CBM Amiga 1200 AmigaDOS 3.0-operating system

- includes AREXX and CompuGraphic outline fonts support (includes 2)

I tried by best not to imply I did, nor do I think I did.

|> +-------------------------------------+ |

--
--------------------------------------
Raist

E.A. Story

Mar 15, 1993, 10:25:26 AM3/15/93
In article <C3w5E...@ucunix.san.uc.edu> klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:
>I just got this file from GEnie. I take no responsibilities for any error.
>This is strictly for your information and enjoyment. This is not ment for
>flames. This is not to be read by the mentally immature. This is a complete
>comparison of three fine machines.

And pretty good too! Tho, with a couple of things in error, or left
out.

> Here is a technical comparison between Atari's new Falcon 030, Commodore's
>new Amiga 1200 and Apple's new Performa 400. All of these machines are aimed at
>the home computer user in price and power. They each feature their own
>Multitasking Graphic User Interface (GUI) operating system, which is not
>compatible with MS-DOS. Each of these computers has their own software library.
>They are all based on Motorola brand CPU's. You won't find "Intel inside" any of
>these machines, unless it's in the form of an emulator board! ;^>
>
> Atari Falcon CBM Amiga 1200 Apple Performa 400
>CPU 68030 68EC020 68030
>speed(Mhz) 16 14.32 16
>MIPS 3.84 2.5 3.84

As measured by? Altho the numbers look accurate enuff.

>data path(bit) 32(16used w/COMBEL) 32 32(16 used)
>
>address space(bit) 24 24 24
>instruction cache 256 bytes 256 bytes 256 bytes
>data cache 256 bytes no 256 bytes
>
>FPU optional optional optional
>socket on board yes no no
>type 68881/68882 68881/68882 68881/68882
>
>DSP yes no no
>type 56001 N/A N/A
>speed(Mhz) 32 N/A N/A
>MIPS 16 N/A N/A
>
>MEMORY & EXPANSION
>ram(base model) 4MB(32bit) 2MB(32bit CHIP) 4MB(16bit)
>max ram 14 MB 10 MB(>w/3rd party) 10MB
>type proprietary proprietary/PCMCIA SIMM
>rom 512K 512K to 2MB 512K

^^^
I wasn't aware the AGA machines had a 2MB possible ROM space. AMigaDOS
3.0 currently is a 512k ROM.

>DISK DRIVES
>floppy 3.5" 1.44HD 3.5" 880K 3.5" 1.44HD
>format Atari\MS-DOS(SAME) Amiga w\MS-DOS Mac w\MS-DOS
>hard internal internal internal
>type 2.5" IDE 2.5" IDE 3.5" SCSI
>size 65MB 40MB 80MB
>
>I/O PORTS
>mouse/joystick 2reg 2analog 2 reg 1 mouse/ADB

^^^
The Amiga's ports can either be digital or analog. So I guess its "2
reg/analog".

>serial RS-232C RS-232 2 RS-422
>parallel BI-directional Centronics no

The Amiga's parallel port is also bidirectional.

Coprocessors? Sprites?

All in all, a well done comparison.. thanks for posting it.

--
"THAT is a DRY turtle. That turtle is NOT moist!"
Ezra Story, a student at RIT, and

Tom Haines

Mar 15, 1993, 12:07:51 PM3/15/93
ric...@rchland.vnet.ibm.com (Ricardo Hernandez Muchado) writes:
> In article <C3w5E...@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:
> |> I just got this file from GEnie. I take no responsibilities for any error.
> |> This is strictly for your information and enjoyment. This is not ment for
> |> flames. This is not to be read by the mentally immature. This is a complete
> |> comparison of three fine machines.
> |>

> |> Enjoy:
>
> Kevin, I have no intent on just jumping in "'cause I like my Amiga", but
> because there are some things here that have not been told. Additions
> follows to the table (read the table below). My last concern is:
> who compiled this information?
>[HEAPS DELETED

> |> type multitasking gui multitasking gui multitasking gui
> |> location rom\disk rom\disk rom\disk
> multitasking type ???? fully preemptive cooperative
>[MORE STUFF DELETED]

The Faclcon OS is also fully preemptive.

I would also mention that the hi colour modes on the Amiga are HAM modes.
Also, does the price quoted for the MAC include a monitor?

I would say that with the additions that have been made the comparisson is
quite accurate.

-------------------------------------------Tom.

R. Brown

Mar 17, 1993, 8:49:05 PM3/17/93
In article <C41Bv...@cck.coventry.ac.uk>, csg...@cch.coventry.ac.uk (-~=Zaphod=~-) writes:
|> In article <C3w5E...@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:
|> > _______________________________________________________________________________
|> >

|> > Here is a technical comparison between Atari's new Falcon 030, Commodore's
|> >
|> > new Amiga 1200 and Apple's new Performa 400. All of these machines are aimed at

[stuff deleted]

|> > DSP yes no no
|> > type 56001 N/A N/A
|> > speed(Mhz) 32 N/A N/A
|> > MIPS 16 N/A N/A
|>

|> This seems slightly unfair, just choosing the only significant piece of
|> hardware that the atari has that the others don't, how about adding:
|>
|> Blitter Yes Yes no
|> Bandwidth 16 bits 64 bits N/A
|> Blitter ops <256 256 N/A
|>
|> Copper NO Yes no
|> Parrallax scroll NO Yes (Dualpf) no
|> (in hardware)
|>
|> This is not a flame!! Just redressing the balance a bit.
|>
|> BTW, does anyone have any information on programming the Falcon sound
|> chips, i know is 16 bit, 8 channels, but does the DSP do all the work,
|> does it have FM etc.
|>
|> -Steve.
|> --
|> *********************Steven Haggerty**csg...@uk.ac.cov.cck ok?*****************
|> * There is the law of GRAVITY, there is the law of CONSERVATION, there is the *
|> * law of DREDD. You can break the first two, but the last one plays for keeps!*
|> ************************************************- 2000AD on Judge Dredd.*******

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Mac is a bit left out here? :-)

Robert Brown (Amiga 500+ owner).

Kevin J. Klasmeier

Mar 18, 1993, 1:58:37 AM3/18/93
In article <C41Bv...@cck.coventry.ac.uk> csg...@cch.coventry.ac.uk (-~=Zaphod=~-) writes:
>In article <C3w5E...@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:
>> Atari Falcon CBM Amiga 1200 Apple Performa 400
>> CPU 68030 68EC020 68030
>> speed(Mhz) 16 14.32 16
>> MIPS 3.84 2.5 3.84
>> data path(bit) 32(16used w/COMBEL) 32 32(16 used)
>>
>> address space(bit) 24 24 24
>> instruction cache 256 bytes 256 bytes 256 bytes
>> data cache 256 bytes no 256 bytes
>>
>> FPU optional optional optional
>> socket on board yes no no
>> type 68881/68882 68881/68882 68881/68882
>>

>> DSP yes no no
>> type 56001 N/A N/A
>> speed(Mhz) 32 N/A N/A
>> MIPS 16 N/A N/A
>
>This seems slightly unfair, just choosing the only significant piece of
>hardware that the atari has that the others don't, how about adding:
>
> Blitter Yes Yes no
> Bandwidth 16 bits 64 bits N/A
> Blitter ops <256 256 N/A
>
> Copper NO Yes no
> Parrallax scroll NO Yes (Dualpf) no
> (in hardware)
>
> This is not a flame!! Just redressing the balance a bit.

I would like to restate something, These spec's are right from the
factory. If anything is left out (with the exception of the Blitter chip
and I apologise for that, it should have been caught....though it is
rather understood by everyone now.) then the factory must not have
thought it was a key selling point of their hardware (ie copper).
I have not brought this here to be biased (this is not the media!), just
to see where our beloved computer stands in the real world.

Talk to you later...

Juxtaposer

Mar 18, 1993, 7:23:41 PM3/18/93
In article <C42op...@ucunix.san.uc.edu> klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:

>thought it was a key selling point of their hardware (ie copper).
>I have not brought this here to be biased (this is not the media!), just
>to see where our beloved computer stands in the real world.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but just what is the copper
for (sounds like something from a bad 20's-era movie).

Is it some sort of graphics coprocessor?

> +-------------------------------------+_
> | *> Kevin Klasmeier | |
> | *> NET: klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu | |
> | *> GEnie: K.KLASMEIER | |
> | [Cincinnati, Ohio in the US of A] | |
> +-------------------------------------+ |
> '--------------------------------------'

-MikeB

Robert M Cosby

Mar 19, 1993, 2:45:27 AM3/19/93
I'd just like to say thanx for the even-tempered discussion here.
I've had to listen to Atari vs Amiga flaming now for almost *EIGHT* years.
It's tiresome and pointless. I almost bought both the ST and the Amiga in '85
but ended up with the Amiga cause I kept spending money on it. 8-)
Coz

E.A. Story

Mar 19, 1993, 3:28:16 PM3/19/93
In article <1ob3qd...@phakt.usc.edu> baf...@phakt.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) writes:
> Sorry if this has already been discussed, but just what is the copper
>for (sounds like something from a bad 20's-era movie).
> Is it some sort of graphics coprocessor?

Basically. Its a display list processor that runs small programs which
define and manage the display. THe Copper can access any of the custom
chip registers (including the ones controlling itself) on the Amiga. A
copper "program" basically consists of a list of MOVE,WAIT or SKIP
instructions. MOVE just moves a value into a custom chip register. WAIT
waits for a certain scanline and horizontal position, and I forget the
exact mechanics of SKIP. But I'm sure someone will enlighten me before I
have a chance to go home and look at the hardware manual. :-)

The copper "program" is restarted every VBlank. A typical "copper list"
for an Amiga display would do something like the following:
(THis is in a very generalized form.. the actual list would be several
MOVE's for each type of operation)

MOVE display type, reg
MOVE dimensions, reg
MOVE colors, reg
MOVE address, reg
WAIT forever

of course, by putting something like this before the "WAIT forever"

WAIT scanline 100
MOVE display type,reg
MOVE colors, reg
MOVE address,reg

you can have two sections of differing resolution and colors on the
same screen. The copper can also control other custom regs such as the
blitter..etc. The copper can also cause interrupts. So basically its
a very easy way of syncronizing to the display. Keep in mind that the
Copper runs concurrently to everything else in the system as well (hence
the ability to cause interrupts).

Warwick Allison

Mar 21, 1993, 7:09:03 PM3/21/93
ric...@rchland.vnet.ibm.com (Ricardo Hernandez Muchado) writes:
>klas...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Kevin J. Klasmeier) writes:

>|> Atari Falcon CBM Amiga 1200 Apple Performa 400

>|> OPERATING SYSTEM

> multitasking type ???? fully preemptive cooperative

fully preemptive

memory protection yes no ????

--
Warwick
_-_|\ war...@cs.uq.oz.au |||||| AMS = C++ game library |

Stephen Wayne Miller

Mar 22, 1993, 1:13:01 AM3/22/93

>> Sorry if this has already been discussed, but just what is the copper
>>for (sounds like something from a bad 20's-era movie).
>> Is it some sort of graphics coprocessor?

>Basically. Its a display list processor that runs small programs which
>define and manage the display.

Completely analogous to the old ANTIC chip in the Atari 8-bit series.

--
__ | ata...@cats.ucsc.edu | "Oh no! Toonces, look out! AIIIEEEE!" --SNL
(_ | Delphi: ATARIO | "This is only an exhibition. This is not a
| Joy joy!" --R & S | --Late Night with David Letterman

E.A. Story

Mar 22, 1993, 3:48:42 PM3/22/93
In article <1ojldd...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU> ata...@cats.ucsc.edu (Stephen Wayne Miller) writes:

>In <1993Mar19.2...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> eas...@ultb.isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story) writes:
>
>Completely analogous to the old ANTIC chip in the Atari 8-bit series.

Yup!.. expecially since both the ANTIC and the COPPER where designed by
the same person.

Tom Haines

Mar 23, 1993, 11:14:49 AM3/23/93
eas...@ultb.isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story) writes:
> In article <1ojldd...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU> ata...@cats.ucsc.edu (Stephen Wayne Miller) writes:
> >
> >In <1993Mar19.2...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> eas...@ultb.isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story) writes:
> >
> >Completely analogous to the old ANTIC chip in the Atari 8-bit series.
>
> Yup!.. expecially since both the ANTIC and the COPPER where designed by
> the same person.

So why don't any other Atari machines (ST, STE, Falcon) have an ANTIC/Copper
chip?

--------------------------------Tom.

E.A. Story

Mar 23, 1993, 11:57:15 PM3/23/93

Because the people who designed the 8-bit atari's are not the ones who
designed the 16-bit ones. The person responsible for the Atari
8-bitters ANTIC helped to design the Amiga for Amiga Inc. (which was
eventually sold to C=).

Fredrik Lundholm

Mar 24, 1993, 4:57:55 AM3/24/93
t...@unix.brighton.ac.uk (Tom Haines) writes:

>--------------------------------Tom.

Very simple, some of the guys who made tha Atari 8-bit range,
quitted, got sacked, whatever, started an indipendent company
made the Amiga computer, tried to sell it to atari, well atari fucked up,
so commodore bought the amiga instead..

enjoy...

Fredrik Lundholm DDD OO L
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ D D O O L - RECORDS
d1...@dtek.chalmers.se DDD OO LLLL
Contact me about "Droppin Knowledge"/"Shut em Down" 12"!!!! DOL-EP-1

Daniel D Ackerman

Mar 31, 1993, 6:46:49 PM3/31/93
Well considering the ST was almost finished at that time and the original
Amiga was still a mock up you can't truely blame them. But just think what
would have happened. Commodore would be gone or only making their lame PC
clones and Atari would still be making A1000's and discussing the A500 ;)