TOS 2.06 upgrade problems

zrol...@cuppa.curtin.edu.au

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95
For the last two weeks I have been attempting to upgrade my 520 STe (4meg)
to TOS 2.06 (used to be 1.4). The upgrade came with no documentation or
instructions whatsoever.

Some truely excellent netters have assisted me so far, but now I have run
into a proverbial brick wall.

To start with, the machine wouldn't even boot. I had to move jumpers w102
and w104 to cater for the new ROMs (4 pins bigger than the old ones). The
chip number on the new ROMs is 27C010A.

Now, the machine boots, and the RAM diagnostics in the boot sequence checks
out ok.

After booting, if I try to run a .PRG file (doesn't matter which) the
machine just hangs. The cursor changes to the busy bee and stays that way.

If I run .TTP applications, the dialog box pops up and accepts parameters
and then hangs.

Accesories seem to run just fine from the pull down window.

I can copy and rename files without a problem.

Has anybody seen/heard of this situation before?

I did hear today that 2.06 can't read old desktop.inf files but uses
newdesk.inf and I was wondering if this may have something to do with it -
but I would have thought that the system would just ignore the old
desktop.inf.

Is there something that I have missed? I checked the electrical connection
of the two jumpers (w102 and w104) again last night and it appears to be
good. I've tried undoing the upgrade and reverting back to TOS 1.4 and it
works ok - but that kind of negates the idea of upgrading.

Any ideas?

Steven Rollinson
Steve.R...@MIS.WMC.wmc.telememo.au

Disclaimer: My employer does not share my opinions. But then
what do you expect from a PC Windoze user.

Jo Even Skarstein

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95
zrol...@cuppa.curtin.edu.au wrote:
: For the last two weeks I have been attempting to upgrade my 520 STe (4meg)

: to TOS 2.06 (used to be 1.4). The upgrade came with no documentation or
^^^
1.6 or 1.62 on STE's.

: Now, the machine boots, and the RAM diagnostics in the boot sequence checks
: out ok.

So far, so good. You've done everything right so far :-)

:
: After booting, if I try to run a .PRG file (doesn't matter which) the

: machine just hangs. The cursor changes to the busy bee and stays that way.
:
: If I run .TTP applications, the dialog box pops up and accepts parameters
: and then hangs.

This sounds like a size 0 NEWDESK.INF file! I've had this problem myself. I
have absolutely *no* idea how the NEWDESK.INF file get this size, but it
happens now and then.

Try deleting the NEWDESK.INF file and reboot your computer.

: Is there something that I have missed? I checked the electrical connection

: of the two jumpers (w102 and w104) again last night and it appears to be
: good. I've tried undoing the upgrade and reverting back to TOS 1.4 and it
: works ok - but that kind of negates the idea of upgrading.
:
: Any ideas?

Well, since the computer boots with the 2.06 ROMs I guess there's nothing wrong
with your installation. It could be that the ROMs are faulty.

***
Jo Even Skarstein
e-mail jo...@stud.unit.no
Tlf.: 73 93 52 76 (Tr.heim) 57 87 33 84 (Olden)

"Pils, hamburger og saccosekk."

Dirk Hagedorn

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95
In article <46n1hm$8...@info.curtin.edu.au>,
<zrol...@cuppa.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

>I did hear today that 2.06 can't read old desktop.inf files but uses
>newdesk.inf and I was wondering if this may have something to do with it -
>but I would have thought that the system would just ignore the old
>desktop.inf.

This might be a problem if your newdesk.inf is bigger than 4kb or if your
#d-line is destructed. Make a backup of it, throw it away, reset and save
the newdesk.inf from the menu. If your computer now does what he should do,
just smile. ;-)

Ciao, Dirk
---
SnailNet: In der Esmecke 9, 59846 Sundern, Germany
MausNet: Dirk Hagedorn @ MK2 (no mails > 16kb)
Internet: d...@mk2.maus.sauerland.de (no mails > 16kb)
e80...@pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de (big stuff)
WWW: http://pbhrzx.uni-paderborn.de:8080/~e80097

Robert Schaffner

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95
In <DHruI...@ridgecrest.ca.us> Michael Grove wrote:

>Was the TOS chip set 2 or 6 roms? If this is a
>Wizztronics card, there is a "special" jump that
>must be made that was not in my documentation.
>Steve had said that only a few 1040's had the
>two roms set, and it was omitted from the doc's.
>I'm not familar with the 520's.
>I can dig it up if it will help.

Hi Mike! :-)

(Nice to see you) ;-)

Years ago, i have orderd my TOS 2.06 in Germany by H&S
The TOS 2.06 is comming up in two Chips.

I have include a TOS Card in my old 520ST
This Card have no Jumpers to select Chips.

What is a Wizztronics Card?

Best Regards
Robert

--

* * * Robert Schaffner @OF2.maus.de ** Home of DOITF030 **
* * * Tel/Fax/Modem: +49 (0)6103-67197 == CoMa-Voice ==