FreeMiNT/XaAES on the ST

GokMasE

Sep 27, 2006, 8:06:38 AM9/27/06
Hiya,

As many of you certainly are aware of, FreeMiNT/XaAES have not been
running on 68000 machines since XaAES was turned into a kernel module.
Reason for this was mainly the lack of test equipment, a problem that
has been cured since.

Todays very early pre-alpha binary of FreeMiNT/XaAES consist of 3
subdirectories, and if copied onto the root dir of your boot disk it
should enable you to boot right into XaAES with Teradesk launched as
desktop. Also note that the sysdir is 1-17-cur for this particular
version of FreeMiNT.

In order to use this version of FreeMiNT/XaAES you should have at least
4Mb of RAM. If you have an Atari with 020 or better CPU you are adviced
to use the latest alpha release instead of this 000-specific build.

Grab the binaries here: http://xaaes.atariforge.net/

Regards,

/Joakim

ICQ for Atari - http://www.ataricq.org
AES for Atari - http://xaaes.atariforge.net
GPL for Atari - http://topp.atari-users.net

Cyprian

Sep 28, 2006, 4:15:37 AM9/28/06
GokMasE napisal(a):
> Hiya,
[...]

> Todays very early pre-alpha binary of FreeMiNT/XaAES consist of 3
> subdirectories, and if copied onto the root dir of your boot disk it
> should enable you to boot right into XaAES with Teradesk launched as
> desktop. Also note that the sysdir is 1-17-cur for this particular
> version of FreeMiNT.
[...]
> /Joakim

Great News!!

I've checked and it doesn't startup from harddisk:

pid 0 (MINT): parse_cnf: can't open u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/mint.cnf
No init program specified to be started.

Starting up `u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/sh'...
error -34.
System Halted.

Best regards
Cyprian

GokMasE

Sep 28, 2006, 7:31:08 AM9/28/06
Cyprian wrote:

> pid 0 (MINT): parse_cnf: can't open u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/mint.cnf
> No init program specified to be started.
>
> Starting up `u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/sh'...
> error -34.
> System Halted.

This sounds strange. What hardware are you running on?
And how much RAM is installed?

It is clear that the problem is due to MiNT looking for the config file
in
the wrong directory, just unclear to me why it does that.

Regards,

/Joakim

GokMasE

Sep 28, 2006, 7:51:32 AM9/28/06
Cyprian wrote:

> pid 0 (MINT): parse_cnf: can't open u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/mint.cnf
> No init program specified to be started.
>
> Starting up `u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/sh'...
> error -34.
> System Halted.

This sounds strange. What hardware are you running on?

Odd Skancke

Sep 28, 2006, 4:46:47 PM9/28/06
Hello

tor, 28,.09.2006 kl. 01.15 -0700, skrev Cyprian:
> GokMasE napisal(a):
> > Hiya,
> [...]
> > Todays very early pre-alpha binary of FreeMiNT/XaAES consist of 3
> > subdirectories, and if copied onto the root dir of your boot disk it
> > should enable you to boot right into XaAES with Teradesk launched as
> > desktop. Also note that the sysdir is 1-17-cur for this particular
> > version of FreeMiNT.
> [...]
> > /Joakim
>

> Great News!!
>
> I've checked and it doesn't startup from harddisk:
>
> pid 0 (MINT): parse_cnf: can't open u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/mint.cnf

^
See this 'a' here? ----------------------

This looks to me as if you're trying to start it off the floppy. Could
you tell us exactly what you do?

> No init program specified to be started.
>
> Starting up `u:/a/mint/1-17-cur/sh'...
> error -34.
> System Halted.

Best Regards,
Odd Skancke

Joe Iron

Sep 29, 2006, 3:17:20 AM9/29/06
I don't know if it is a problem or not, but I prevously tried to run
MiNT with Steem (the emulator) and it behaved the same.

GokMasE

Sep 29, 2006, 4:22:09 AM9/29/06
Joe Iron wrote:
> I don't know if it is a problem or not, but I prevously tried to run
> MiNT with Steem (the emulator) and it behaved the same.

I tested with Steem here too and can verify that it results in exactly
the problem that was reported earlier in this thread. However, it
works a treat on my MegaST4.

Regards,

/Joakim

David Leaver

Sep 30, 2006, 11:44:13 PM9/30/06
On 27 Sep 2006 05:06:38 , "GokMasE" wrote:
>Hiya,

(snip)

>In order to use this version of FreeMiNT/XaAES you should have at least
>4Mb of RAM. If you have an Atari with 020 or better CPU you are adviced
>to use the latest alpha release instead of this 000-specific build.
>
>Grab the binaries here: http://xaaes.atariforge.net/
>
>Regards,
>
>/Joakim

Don't know if you want comments at this stage, but it boots up
prettily on my venerable 4mb STF and some things run happily, but when
I try to set the date & time in the General CPX, it freezes.

David

Susan and David Leaver 10 Goodparla St,
Hawker, ACT 2614
Australia

Djordje Vukovic

Oct 5, 2006, 3:31:19 PM10/5/06
On 1 Oct 2006 13:34:13 +, David Leaver wrote:

>>In order to use this version of FreeMiNT/XaAES you should have at least
>>4Mb of RAM. If you have an Atari with 020 or better CPU you are adviced
>>to use the latest alpha release instead of this 000-specific build.
>

>Don't know if you want comments at this stage, but it boots up
>prettily on my venerable 4mb STF and some things run happily, but when
>I try to set the date & time in the General CPX, it freezes.

It seems that a number of CPXes have problems with mint generally, on
any machine. I found more than one that crash or freeze in mint
both on ST and in Aranym.

cu;