Chaos Strikes Back

1 view

William Moeller

Apr 25, 2002, 8:19:46 PM4/25/02

I recently found on an abandonware site, a copy of Chaos Strikes Back for
the Pee Cee that works under Windows 95. It seems that some fan
disassembled that game for the ST and ported it to the PC. I think this is
great news for fans of the game.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Apr 25, 2002, 10:33:51 PM4/25/02

It is a great game. I found Dungeon Master II for the PC on a bargin
shelf for only $10. Could not believe it, but it is made by FTL.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
(Gamer)
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Bob Retelle

Apr 26, 2002, 7:13:23 PM4/26/02
On 26 Apr 2002 00:19:46 GMT, af...@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (William
Moeller) wrote:

Interesting- do you remember the URL of the site CSB was on..?

BobR

William Moeller

Apr 26, 2002, 11:14:33 PM4/26/02
Edward S. Baiz Jr. (eb...@skyenet.net) wrote:

: On 26 Apr 2002 00:19:46 , William Moeller wrote:
: >
: >I recently found on an abandonware site, a copy of Chaos Strikes Back for
: >the Pee Cee that works under Windows 95. It seems that some fan
: >disassembled that game for the ST and ported it to the PC. I think this is
: >great news for fans of the game.
: >

: It is a great game. I found Dungeon Master II for the PC on a bargin
: shelf for only $10. Could not believe it, but it is made by FTL.

Dungeon Master II is certainly "more" Dungeon Master, however, it is too
short, and in my opinion has a couple of annoying features. The
"sentinals" are just plain maddening, and the theives are too
aggressive in my opinion.

If you don't have an Amiga or an ST set up, Chaos Strikes Back wasnt
available to you easily. I understand that some people have gotten it
going under emulation, but that is a pain.

There is another Dungeon Master that I know of. I have a copy of it, for
the Saturn. However, it was only released in Japan. It has Japanese in the
game for the puzzles, so, that will of course be a bit of a challenge.!
The game is called "Dungeon Master Nexus" and it is a unique Dungeon
Master episode that was only released on the Saturn to the best of my
knowledge.

William Moeller

Apr 26, 2002, 11:20:21 PM4/26/02
Bob Retelle (bo...@provide.net) wrote:
: On 26 Apr 2002 00:19:46 GMT, af...@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (William
: Moeller) wrote:

Im not sure, but I think I got it on "The Underdogs" which is an
abandonware site. Im sure a search for the underdogs and chaos strikes
back will get some results.

Bob Retelle

Apr 27, 2002, 4:01:28 AM4/27/02
On 27 Apr 2002 03:20:21 GMT, af...@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (William
Moeller) wrote:

Aha..!

I found it on http://21ct.gooddays.org/rpg/csb.html

Thanks for the head's-up... I haven't seen this conversion before.

CSB was one of my favorite games, behind the original Dungeon Master
of course... :)

BobR

Bob Retelle

Apr 27, 2002, 4:01:41 AM4/27/02
Moeller) wrote:

>Bob Retelle (bo...@provide.net) wrote:
>: On 26 Apr 2002 00:19:46 GMT, af...@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (William
>: Moeller) wrote:
>
>: >
>: >I recently found on an abandonware site, a copy of Chaos Strikes Back for
>: >the Pee Cee that works under Windows 95. It seems that some fan
>: >disassembled that game for the ST and ported it to the PC. I think this is
>: >great news for fans of the game.
>

>: Interesting- do you remember the URL of the site CSB was on..?
>
>Im not sure, but I think I got it on "The Underdogs" which is an
>abandonware site. Im sure a search for the underdogs and chaos strikes
>back will get some results.

Bummer..!

I just checked underdogs.org and the abandonware site seems to be
gone..!

I've got several of their games bookmarked to go back and download
when I've got several hours to get them, and none of the links work
any more.

Now it looks like a Yahoo gateway "wannabe".

I'll have to search to see if anywhere else has it.

BobR

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Apr 27, 2002, 8:47:50 AM4/27/02
On 27 Apr 2002 03:14:33 , William Moeller wrote:
>Edward S. Baiz Jr. (eb...@skyenet.net) wrote:
>: It is a great game. I found Dungeon Master II for the PC on a bargin
>: shelf for only $10. Could not believe it, but it is made by FTL.
>
>Dungeon Master II is certainly "more" Dungeon Master, however, it is too
>short, and in my opinion has a couple of annoying features. The
>"sentinals" are just plain maddening, and the theives are too
>aggressive in my opinion.

Short?? It does not matter how short the game is. It is Dungeon Master
and that is all that counts. As far as the annoying features you
pointed out, that is ok with me, but I can see your point.

>If you don't have an Amiga or an ST set up, Chaos Strikes Back wasnt
>available to you easily. I understand that some people have gotten it
>going under emulation, but that is a pain.

I have a STe system and two copies of DM and CSB.

>There is another Dungeon Master that I know of. I have a copy of it, for
>the Saturn. However, it was only released in Japan. It has Japanese in the
>game for the puzzles, so, that will of course be a bit of a challenge.!
>The game is called "Dungeon Master Nexus" and it is a unique Dungeon
>Master episode that was only released on the Saturn to the best of my
>knowledge.

Hmmm?? Never knew about this one. Sounds good thought. I kind of wish
FTL would do another DM game.

William Moeller

Apr 27, 2002, 11:39:18 PM4/27/02
Edward S. Baiz Jr. (eb...@skyenet.net) wrote:

: >There is another Dungeon Master that I know of. I have a copy of it, for

: >the Saturn. However, it was only released in Japan. It has Japanese in the
: >game for the puzzles, so, that will of course be a bit of a challenge.!
: >The game is called "Dungeon Master Nexus" and it is a unique Dungeon
: >Master episode that was only released on the Saturn to the best of my
: >knowledge.

: Hmmm?? Never knew about this one. Sounds good thought. I kind of wish
: FTL would do another DM game.

: Edward S. Baiz Jr.
: (Gamer)

Yes, I agree. However, DM II was not well received by the critics, and
didnt sell as well as it could have. I think the graphical improvements to
DM II were great.

This DM Nexus looks really good although I havent fired it up yet.
Obviously, they have another DM game made, they just need to port it to
PC or another mainstream video game.

Bob Retelle

Apr 28, 2002, 2:10:12 AM4/28/02
On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:47:50 GMT, eb...@skyenet.net (Edward S. Baiz
Jr.) wrote:

>Hmmm?? Never knew about this one. Sounds good thought. I kind of wish
>FTL would do another DM game.

Unfortunately FTL could never get anything done- they had a lot of
great ideas, but could never seem to actually finish them..

Remember how long it took to get the original Dungeon Master out?

The demo was shown something like 1 1/2 to 2 years before the final
game hit the market, and CSB (which was NOT a "sequel", only an
"expansion" of DM) took almost as long.

They had some great ideas for a "SciFi" or "Space" oriented game based
on the same 1st person graphics engine, as well as more entries in the
DM genre.

I worked with them for a while on doing a "Prequel" to Dungeon Master
to help teach new players how to play (simple puzzles, techniques like
the "2-step", that kind of thing), but the idea never did go anywhere.

There was a version of Dungeon Master released in Japan for the "FM
Townes" machine, as well as the Super Nintendo conversion, and of
course the IBM project. They seemed to get lost in the rush to
convert the existing games to other platforms, rather than developing
NEW games.

Unfortunately, by the time they finally got the IBM conversion of
Dungeon Master finished, other games in the same genre (like "Eye of
the Beholder") had already stolen the DM thunder, and Dungeon Master
was relegated to "also ran" status, at the bottom of the $5 game bin.

BobR

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Apr 29, 2002, 6:22:18 PM4/29/02
On 28 Apr 2002 02:10:12 , Bob Retelle wrote:

>Unfortunately FTL could never get anything done- they had a lot of
>great ideas, but could never seem to actually finish them..
>
>Remember how long it took to get the original Dungeon Master out?
>
>The demo was shown something like 1 1/2 to 2 years before the final
>game hit the market, and CSB (which was NOT a "sequel", only an
>"expansion" of DM) took almost as long.
>
>They had some great ideas for a "SciFi" or "Space" oriented game based
>on the same 1st person graphics engine, as well as more entries in the
>DM genre.

There is a game called Captive that is a SciFi game that is played like
DM. Have not tried it out yet. There is also Bloodwych, which looks good.

Bob Retelle

Apr 30, 2002, 3:24:19 AM4/30/02
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:22:18 GMT, eb...@skyenet.net (Edward S. Baiz
Jr.) wrote:

>There is a game called Captive that is a SciFi game that is played like
>DM. Have not tried it out yet. There is also Bloodwych, which looks good.

Oh my- is there EVER a game called Captive..!

Dungeon Master in Space- Robots on the loose..!

I hate to say it, as much as I love Dungeon Master, but Captive is
probably about .00001 ahead of DM as my favorite all-time game EVER.

It's played with Androids instead of Champions, and instead of giving
them better armor you buy them better body parts.

No food or water needed, but you have to find electrical outlets on
the walls to recharge them or they run out of power.

Be careful though- if you DO try Captive, you're likely to become
very seriously hooked, for a long, long time.

NO ONE that I've ever heard of has EVER finished Captive.

It goes on, and on, and on and- eventually the police will break
down your door to see if you're still alive, or the process server
will slip your Divorce papers under the door.

It's rumored that the total number of levels is 32K (32768), although
some people think it's 64K. One of the Captive fan web sites there
were reports that someone actually talked to the creators of the game
and they confirmed the 32K figure- I dunno..!

There are 10 planetary bases you have to explore, with the goal of
destroying the shield generators, then there is a Space Station you
have to invade with the goal of freeing your creator from his cell on
the station. Of course, he gets captured again and you have to
repeat the whole process for 10 more bases and another station, and
again, and again, and again-

I originally played Captive on my ST and got through about 3 cycles of
bases and stations before the police came and rescued me.

Then fairly recently I came across a mention of a PC version and
downloaded that to try it out, but had some problems getting it to
run, so I started using the STeem emulator to run the original ST
version on my PC.

I've made it through 5 cycles of bases and stations (that's 55 levels
total, so far) and am running out of food- someone help me..!

Should anyone be so foolish as to want to find out more about this
incredible game, try http://members.home.net/captivebase/

BobR

William Moeller

Apr 30, 2002, 7:05:44 PM4/30/02
Edward S. Baiz Jr. (eb...@skyenet.net) wrote:

: There is a game called Captive that is a SciFi game that is played like

: DM. Have not tried it out yet. There is also Bloodwych, which looks good.

My friend tells me that Bloodwych was based on the DM engine.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

May 1, 2002, 9:43:27 PM5/1/02
On 30 Apr 2002 03:24:19 , Bob Retelle wrote:

>Oh my- is there EVER a game called Captive..!
>
>Dungeon Master in Space- Robots on the loose..!
>
>I hate to say it, as much as I love Dungeon Master, but Captive is
>probably about .00001 ahead of DM as my favorite all-time game EVER.
>
>It's played with Androids instead of Champions, and instead of giving
>them better armor you buy them better body parts.
>
>No food or water needed, but you have to find electrical outlets on
>the walls to recharge them or they run out of power.
>
>Be careful though- if you DO try Captive, you're likely to become
>very seriously hooked, for a long, long time.

Hello,

I knew the game was good which is why I bought it. I just may give it a
try on my STe. Thanks much for the description.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

May 1, 2002, 9:43:29 PM5/1/02

That could be as the game does resemble DM, but the graphics are not as
good. That really does not matter as the gameplay is very high.

Bob Retelle

May 2, 2002, 7:05:44 AM5/2/02
On 30 Apr 2002 23:05:44 GMT, af...@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (William
Moeller) wrote:

I have no personal knowledge to the contrary, but I would tend to
seriously doubt that. I worked with the FTL group for a while, and
they never mentioned licensing their engine to anyone else.

Bloodwych was created by a group from the U.K. and has a very
different "feel" from Dungeon Master, both in the graphical appearance
and in the gameplay. Also, it can be played as a 2-player game with
a split-screen and 2 sets of controls, which Dungeon Master never had.

It IS an excellent game in its own right, but I don't think it's any
direct relation to Dungeon Master.

BobR