Only 2 chips to upgrade to 2.06?

Eric H

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

I wish to upgrade a 1040 STE to TOS 2.06. I have a Gemulator board with
a set of 2.06 ROMs. Before I risk anything, does anyone know if I can
just replace the ST ROMs with the Gemulator ones?

EHE

Tom Lamparty

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96
to Eric H

Yes you can, if you have the chip sockets that is long enough for the TOS
2.06 chips, I believe that they are 32 pin chips! All you have to do is
carefully remove the old 1.6 or 1.62 chips and plug in the new ones, then
you have to move one or 2 jumper wires on the board from the holes to the
left of the middle hole and bend them over and resolder them in the hole
to the right of the middle hole! Some one else is going to have to let you
know which jumpers to switch though, as it has been a while since I did
this, then I had to switch them back to install the Analogic TOS switcher
board!

Tom Lamparty (ab...@yfn.ysu.edu) | Sysop NEOSTAG BBS (216)792-2580
4Meg 1040STe 245MHD 14.4K Modem | 24hrs 14.4k bps V32 SupraFax Modem
Sec./Treas. NEOSTAG | PD/Shareware/Advice/Help
North East Ohio ST Atari Group | Support board for Dr. Bobware

Rich Tietjens

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

In article <328386...@execpc.com>, Eric H <e...@execpc.com> wrote:

>I wish to upgrade a 1040 STE to TOS 2.06. I have a Gemulator board with
>a set of 2.06 ROMs. Before I risk anything, does anyone know if I can
>just replace the ST ROMs with the Gemulator ones?

You first need to see what size sockets are installed in your STe. If they
aren't long enough (I believe TOS 2.06 has 4 more pins than 1.62), you'll
have to install new ones. Additionally, there are a couple of
jumpers/solder pads that need to be changed, and I'm not privy to the
detials on that score, sorry.

Hallvard Tangeraas

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

On Fri 08-11-96 18:57, Tom Lamparty (Lamp...@concentric.net) wrote:

>Yes you can, if you have the chip sockets that is long enough for the TOS
>2.06 chips, I believe that they are 32 pin chips! All you have to do is
>carefully remove the old 1.6 or 1.62 chips and plug in the new ones, then
>you have to move one or 2 jumper wires on the board from the holes to the
>left of the middle hole and bend them over and resolder them in the hole
>to the right of the middle hole! Some one else is going to have to let you
>know which jumpers to switch though, as it has been a while since I did
>this, then I had to switch them back to install the Analogic TOS switcher
>board!

That's correct. I upgraded my own STe from TOS 1.62 to 2.06 by purchasing
the two EPROM chips.
Be sure to insert them in their correct sockets (they're marked "hi" and
"lo" and so is the areas on the computer circuit board).
As for the "jumpers", here's a diagram showing how it's set up with the
"old" TOS, and how it should be done with TOS 2.06.

You may also note that by connecting the two sides of the "E6 jumper pad"
on the circuit board together you'll get access to an extra option in the
desktop "format disk" menu- namely HD format.
You do ofcourse have to install a HD drive with the appropriate circuitry
to get this to function, but you will at least have the menu option there.
Good luck!

Hallvard

------------------------ Rear of STe (power plug etc.) ---------------------

TOS 1.62 etc. ("short" chips)
----------------------
| | | w104
| "high" ( | _____ _____
| | | o o o o o o
---------------------- _____ w103
o o o
---------------------- w102
| | |
| "low" ( |
| | |
----------------------

| |
"short" ROMs go up | |
to here ->| |

ROM sockets go up to |
here ->|

TOS 2.06 etc. ("long" ROMs)
-------------------------
| | w104
| "high" ( _____ _____
| | o o o o o o
------------------------- _____ w103
o o o
------------------------- w102
| |
| "low" ( o o o o o o o o
| | |
------------------------- o o o o o o o o
E7 E6 E5 E4 E3 E2 E1 E0
sockets and the |
"long" ROM chips | ^
go up to here ->| |
(desktop HD format option)

----------------------------Front (keyboard end) ---------------------------

--
-ST FTP site list: <ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/hallvart/atari/info/ftplist.txt>
-Atari ST FTP access : <http://home.sn.no/~hallvart/pages/atari_ftp.html>

Ronald J. Hall

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

Eric H <e...@execpc.com> said:-

>I wish to upgrade a 1040 STE to TOS 2.06. I have a Gemulator board with
>a set of 2.06 ROMs. Before I risk anything, does anyone know if I can
>just replace the ST ROMs with the Gemulator ones?

Yes! You might have to change a set of jumpers on your STe's
motherboard, but thats about it...oh you have to line up the
notchches to get your orientation right, and match up the "hi"
and "lo" chips but its as easy as falling off a log, really!

You'll love TOS 2.06! :)

__

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ | _/
_/ Wild wind-horses soar the cloud-trails, | _/
_/ Unholy horn doth sound its blast, | /\ _/
_/ You and we were first to conquer, | Dark><Chyld _/
_/ You and we shall be the last! | \/ _/
_/ | _/
_/ - from "Song of the Dragon Masters" - | The Fuji Lives! _/
_/ | _/
_/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_/
_/ _/
_/ --> Sysop of The DarkForce! BBS....Call 1-606-886-9014 <-- _/
_/ _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

philip_taylor

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

In article <328386...@execpc.com>, Eric H <e...@execpc.com> says:

>I wish to upgrade a 1040 STE to TOS 2.06. I have a Gemulator board with
>a set of 2.06 ROMs. Before I risk anything, does anyone know if I can

Very good idea. Huge advance on TOS 1.06. But a couple of problems:
1. if your STE has 720k DD drive(s), you need a wee auto-patch program
to change the step rate
2. if you have a B: drive, you need to patch your TOS else spurious
read-errors.
2. when you click once on a windows arrow, the AES sends a bad message
resulting in _two_ movements of the window. Most annoying in e.g.
PageStream.

These and some lesser problems can be fixed if you get into eprom blasting.
For full details of patch files, see my addenda to TOSPATCH in the Hensa
archive.

P.T. U of Glasgow, Scotland