Lee 'S' Kilpatrick

Jul 9, 1991, 6:16:33 PM7/9/91

Does anyone know where I can get a C compiler for the Atari? I think
Antic used to sell a Deep Blue C. Is this still available? If anyone
knows anything about this version of C or any other, how good is it?
What kind of include files does it have? Probably the standard C i/o
includes, but what kind of support for Atari-specific features does it
have?

Lee

gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)

Jul 9, 1991, 9:30:38 PM7/9/91
In article <1991Jul9.2...@athena.mit.edu> lee...@athena.mit.edu (Lee 'S' Kilpatrick) writes:
=>
=>Does anyone know where I can get a C compiler for the Atari? I think
=>Antic used to sell a Deep Blue C. Is this still available? If anyone
=>knows anything about this version of C or any other, how good is it?
=>What kind of include files does it have? Probably the standard C i/o
=>includes, but what kind of support for Atari-specific features does it
=>have?
=>

C Compilers for Atari 8-bits
----------------------------
Deep Blue C -- First on the scene. A bit out of date now. Generates pseudo-
code and interprets it.
Ace C -- DBC derived. Faster.
CC8 -- DBC derived. Faster than Ace C. Uses Ace C's linker.
Lightspeed C -- DBC derived. Commercial product. From most reports, not any
better than CC8
CC65 -- Unrelated to DBC. Generates real relocatable 6502 assembly.
Includes relocating assembler, linker, library, utilities.
Probably roughly the same speed as CC8.

You can FTP Ace C, CC8, and CC65 from atari.archive.umich.edu:/atari/8bit
The compilers generally have some quirks and limits, so be sure to read
the docs carefully to know what you are doing.

=>
=> Lee

Gary Duzan
Time Lord
Third Regeneration

--
du...@cis.udel.edu
_o_ ------------------ _o_

ln...@cc.newcastle.edu.au

Jul 15, 1991, 12:12:24 AM7/15/91

In article <58...@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, du...@cis.udel.edu (gdt...@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)) writes:

> You can FTP Ace C, CC8, and CC65 from atari.archive.umich.edu:/atari/8bit
> The compilers generally have some quirks and limits, so be sure to read
> the docs carefully to know what you are doing.
>
> => Lee

Is the file cc65-src.arc in the Michigan archive what I think
it is? (ie: 6502 assembler source for a C compiler) I don't
own an atari, but instead a CBM64 where there's only 2
C compilers avalible (both commerical). Would it be feasible/
possible doing a conversion?

--- }`oo'{
`' Chris "Polar" Baird
Impoverished BSc Undergrad @ Newcastle Uni
Temp addr: LN...@cc.newcastle.edu.au

gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)

Jul 15, 1991, 8:57:28 AM7/15/91
In article <1991Jul15.1...@cc.newcastle.edu.au> ln...@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
=>
=> Is the file cc65-src.arc in the Michigan archive what I think
=> it is? (ie: 6502 assembler source for a C compiler) I don't
=> own an atari, but instead a CBM64 where there's only 2
=> C compilers avalible (both commerical). Would it be feasible/
=> possible doing a conversion?
=>
No, it is the C source for a 6502 C compiler. I imagine you could do a
conversion by changing the object file format and putting together your
own libraries. If you are on a Unix-type system, you might want to look
at the slightly modified Unix cross-compiler version that I have on
louie.udel.edu:/pub/cc65/cc65.tar.Z. You could probably bootstrap a C64
version from that.

Stan Lackey

Jul 18, 1991, 12:01:09 PM7/18/91

In article <1991Jul9.2...@athena.mit.edu> lee...@athena.mit.edu (Lee 'S' Kilpatrick) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get a C compiler for the Atari?

I have a copy of CC65, which works, but the copy I have of the assembler
("A65") does not load. My copies of the linker and the runtime seem
OK.

Could someone send A65 to me? I would like to try the whole package.
It look quite attractive, especially with the ability to link modules
without a full reassembly.

Thanks! -Stan