Beginning planning for Atari Party 2010 (Davis, Calif.)

1 view

Bill Kendrick

Jan 25, 2010, 3:45:13 AM1/25/10
Hi all!

Last March I organized an event in Davis, Calif. that I called "Atari Party."
We had over a dozen Atari systems, spanning Atari 2600 through Jaguar, and
over 200 games for the public to come and play:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2009/

I haven't picked a date (or venue -- the public library in town, where
we met last year, is undergoing renovation thru mid-2010), but I've
started planning.

This year I'm thinking of bringing my Sony PlayStation 2, along with
a variety of PSX and PS2 discs I've got that contain Atari games
(e.g., "Activisiton Anthology", "Midway's ... Atari Collection 1")

Would anyone out here be interested in bringing systems & games
this year?

I've personally got 10 systems (including 2 non-Atari devices for
which I've got emulated Atari games: the PS2 and Gameboy Advance),
and 2-3 too few monitors/TVs to display them on. ;)

I've also got about 390 games (about 50 of which are dups; e.g, I have
a Combat cartridge, and my Flashback 2 has Combat).

Sorry if I'm incoherent, it's late and I'm distracted by a movie. ;)

--
-bill!
Sent from my computer

Bill Kendrick

Jan 29, 2010, 6:43:33 PM1/29/10
FYI - Plans for Atari Party 2010 move ahead!

(1) We'll be screening a movie (if not two!).
So far, the documentary "Once Upon Atari".

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2010/movies/

(2) We'll be having a raffle, with some prizes donated to the event
by corporate sponsors:
* O'Reilly Media (gaming & retrogaming books)
* ThinkGeek ($100 gift certificates)
* Legacy Engineering (some USB Atari CX-40-style joysticks)

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2010/sponsors/

(3) I whipped together a cute (I think!) piece of flyer artwork
for this year's party, using a collage of photos from last year
(in the late-1970s Atari 2600 game box art style):

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/oldstyle-web.png

(4) There are a pair of mailing lists you can subscribe to;

one (moderated) for news & announcements:

the other (discussion list) for volunteer coordination & fretting:

(5) And for the mailinglist-phobic, I've created a Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=280573563703

Bill Kendrick

Feb 12, 2010, 4:33:55 PM2/12/10
In comp.sys.atari.8bit Bill Kendrick <bi...@newbreedsoftware.com> wrote:
> FYI - Plans for Atari Party 2010 move ahead!

The date is officially set:

Sunday, March 14th
12pm-8pm

At:

Redwood Park Community Bldg
1001 Anderson Road
Davis, CA 95616

See: http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2010/attend/ for
details, maps, directions and public transit options.

> (1) We'll be screening a movie (if not two!).
> So far, the documentary "Once Upon Atari".
>
> http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2010/movies/

We'll also be screening Disney's "Tron!"

> (2) We'll be having a raffle, with some prizes donated to the event
> by corporate sponsors:
> * O'Reilly Media (gaming & retrogaming books)
> * ThinkGeek ($100 gift certificates)
> * Legacy Engineering (some USB Atari CX-40-style joysticks)

Now listed here:
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2010/raffle/

The raffle now also includes three Atari computer systems
(Atari 800 + 1050, an Atari 400 + 810 and an Atari 400).

gozarc...@spamtraphotmail.com

Feb 19, 2010, 10:02:18 PM2/19/10
In comp.sys.atari.8bit Bill Kendrick <bi...@newbreedsoftware.com> wrote:
> FYI - Plans for Atari Party 2010 move ahead!
>
> (1) We'll be screening a movie (if not two!).
> So far, the documentary "Once Upon Atari".

Might I suggest Cloak & Dagger?

I just wish I could be out in California for it. :-(

Ronald J. Hall

Feb 20, 2010, 1:28:43 AM2/20/10
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 03:02:18 +0000, gozarcollins wrote:

> I just wish I could be out in California for it. :-(

Ditto. :(

--
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
An Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org

Bill Kendrick

Feb 20, 2010, 5:56:55 PM2/20/10
In comp.sys.atari.8bit gozarc...@spamtraphotmail.com wrote:
> In comp.sys.atari.8bit Bill Kendrick <bi...@newbreedsoftware.com> wrote:
> > FYI - Plans for Atari Party 2010 move ahead!
> >
> > (1) We'll be screening a movie (if not two!).
> > So far, the documentary "Once Upon Atari".

> Might I suggest Cloak & Dagger?

Heh, well, I wanted to watch Tron, so that plan's
solidified. ;) Maybe C&D next year. Good idea!

> I just wish I could be out in California for it. :-(

We'll take plenty of photos. (And you can see photos
and vids from last year's.)