Advan BASIC

FujiMan

Jun 30, 2006, 10:15:24 AM6/30/06
Hi All!

William Graziano and I wish to announce the release of Advan BASIC
compiler suite to public domain as of July 1st, 2006. He has removed
the copy protection from the disks which are now available in ATR
format (for diskettes and emulation). The documentation is available in
text, ms word, and pdf.

Files are available from me via email, or off the webpage
http://fujiman.no-ip.com/Advan.htm AFTER July 1st. I'd prefer to email
it, as the web page is on my home computer.

There will be Advan BASIC competition for the best software written
with Advan BASIC. If anyone would like to donate prizes please contact
me. We need 1st-3rd prizes and 2 runners up.

Rules are simple:

Contest from July 1st to Sep 1st (1wk extension if necessary)
Written in Advan Basic using any utilities included. Source must be
included and in the PD.
Must run on any stock machine. Atari 400->130xe. Advan allows 4 drives
max.
It can be any kind of software (Game, Utility, Productivity,
Educational, etc)
Any number of people can work on it.
?? -- To be added if needed.

Submisisions will be judged by 5 judges (William (the author),
Rory(me), and 3 others to be determined) on a rating of 1 to 10 for the
following:

Originality: How original (this means no font editors - We have waaaay
to many of those)
Design: How modular is code? Can it be easily modified?
Graphics: How well is it laid out?
Working: Does it function properly?
?? -- To be added if needed.

Please email me with submission ideas for your submission ASAP. I will
post them so we dont have duplicate submissions and we have a wide
range of choices.

If I have left out the obvious, let me know.

Thanks,
Rory

FujiMan

Jun 30, 2006, 4:10:00 PM6/30/06
Hi all (again),

Slor has graciously donated webspace for the Advan Suite. I will have
it all up tonight (Fri) at:

http://advan.oldos.net

This will be mirrored from fuji.no-ip.com site. After all is added,
link will replace the fuji site.

This will also be the site for any donated source code, apps and utils.

If this happens to get poplar, webforum for support.

Rory

FujiMan wrote:

> Files are available from me via email, or off the webpage
> http://fujiman.no-ip.com/Advan.htm AFTER July 1st. I'd prefer to email
> it, as the web page is on my home computer.
>

> Thanks,
> Rory

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

FujiMan

Jul 1, 2006, 12:46:59 AM7/1/06
lp,

Yeshhh, I schtarted drinking before finishinging codeining. Naht a good
ideea. Hic!

I was also having transfer issues to the server.

If there are any other things I broke or that is missing let me know.
I'll try to fix'em soon as possible. I will be updating it often as
stuff appears.

Yes the pdf are big and zipped to keep from loading into browser pdf
viewers. The BASIC manual itself it over 5mb.

Rory

lp wrote:

> > Cool stuff, but this link fails:
> >
> > The requested URL /Manuals/Advan Basic Manual/Advan Basic Manual PDF.zip was
> > not found on this server.
>
> Also the manual as *.DOC results
> in:http://advan.oldos.net/Manuals/Utility%20Programs%20Manual/Utility%20Prog
> rams%20Manual.doc
>
> Two links to the same path. Oops. ;-))
>
> --
> FreeMiNT http://sparemint.atariforge.net/sparemint/ [Free your mind...]
> Atari Team http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30472
> L. Pursell http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/ [AtarIRC, GFA-Basic, Hades060]

Message has been deleted

RED

Jul 2, 2006, 2:15:31 PM7/2/06

"FujiMan" <Rory.A....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks a lot. I'm sure that many people appreciate your efforts.

Ralph

FujiMan

Jul 7, 2006, 9:20:06 PM7/7/06
Hi all,

Web site has been updated for competition officially starts today.

http://advan.oldos.net

If you have any questions, please ask...

I am looking for judges and prize donations/ideas...

Thanks
FujiMan

JitTerS

Aug 6, 2006, 9:16:53 PM8/6/06
Has anyone entered this contest? I see no updates on the webpage a
month after it opened. I would hope there would be some people
interested in it, but I know there are Very few ppl here that
are still interested in programming on the atari...

I used to program a lot using TBas and others; late 80s early 90s..
I conceptually like the idea of a programming contest and hope
there are some who are interested... tho some actual prizes would
be nice even if they are fairly simple in stature. Maybe first prize
would go to a fairly simple stature program?

.peace.
William

"FujiMan" <Rory.A....@gmail.com> wrote in

Rick Cortese

Aug 7, 2006, 12:41:40 PM8/7/06
JitTerS wrote:
> Has anyone entered this contest? I see no updates on the webpage a
> month after it opened. I would hope there would be some people
> interested in it, but I know there are Very few ppl here that
> are still interested in programming on the atari...

A generalization: Atari programmers, while intelligent and competent,
are not a very flexible lot. All getting a bit older too so learning a
new language, even if it is only an added 'compile' step is not their
style. The label Prima Donna comes to mind.

Bill Wilkinson once said one of the problems with his business was fewer
then 5% of the people with Ataris programmed so his market for tools
like MAC/65 was really limited. When I reminded him of his estimate once
he revised it down. I think it was something along the lines of only 5%
of the 5% program in anything other then Atari BASIC. Apply that to the
newsgroup and you can see why there is the lack of interest in Advan.
Nothing against Advan, just the way things are and have always been.

> I used to program a lot using TBas and others; late 80s early 90s..
> I conceptually like the idea of a programming contest and hope
> there are some who are interested... tho some actual prizes would
> be nice even if they are fairly simple in stature. Maybe first prize
> would go to a fairly simple stature program?

I'm kind of a Prima Donna myself. IMNSHO: All the "must have" type
programs have already been done. Hard to come up with a better terminal
program then BobTerm. We have several editors, spreadsheets, data base
programs to chose from. There is no shortage of good games or demos.

I'm also pretty good in Action! and assembly. It would be hard to
convince me to write in a slower language that needs to be there in some
form on someone else's computer for them to run it. This was ~the same
problem Turbo BASIC had. For that matter just about every language on
the 8 bit had the same problem with a fairly large run time needed to
execute even a 'hello world' type program. The ability to write stand
alone programs and easy interface to assembly language was what tipped
me in favor of Action!

Matthias Reichl

Aug 8, 2006, 8:22:14 AM8/8/06
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:41:40 GMT, Rick Cortese wrote:
> I'm also pretty good in Action! and assembly. It would be hard to
> convince me to write in a slower language that needs to be there in some
> form on someone else's computer for them to run it. This was ~the same
> problem Turbo BASIC had.

I'd say this depended on where you lived :-) Here in Europe (especially
in the german-speaking parts) TurboBasic rapidly became a de-facto
standard. It was published in 1986 as a type-in listing in a special
issue of the german magazine "Happy Computer". A lot of people either
took the time to type it in or just bought the magazine disks to save
a few hours (like me :-).

So, basically, there was a very nice, new programming language that
was compatible to the standard Atari Basic (so everyone could just
switch to Turbo Basic without having to learn a new language)
but had a lot of extensions, was significantly faster and also came
with a compiler - and all that available almost for free.

OTOH Basic XL/XE, Action, ... - which are also very nice products -
were available but rather expensive. Only very few people bought
one of these carts but rather used TurboBasic instead - or just
went on and programmed in assembler.

Just checked: the special issue cost 14 German Marks whereas
MAC/65, Basic XE and Action (also reviewed in that issue) cost
some 250-300 German Marks (back in 1986, the good old times...)

so long,

Hias