Shufflepuck GS

Doug Gwyn

Jul 23, 1990, 2:33:41 PM7/23/90
In article <1990Jul18.0...@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> r...@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Roy Reter) writes:
>Hey all you apple gurus, does anyone know of the game of Shufflepuck for
>the GS.

I recently tried ordering it directly from Broderbund (it was in their
catalog), and received a note saying that the IIGS version of Shufflepuck
Cafe had been dropped. (No explanation of why this decision was made.)

Neil Runyon

Jul 24, 1990, 12:22:42 AM7/24/90

I have seen the GS version, actually, I know someone who owns it.
Can't get a hold of the person though, so I don't know where from.

Neil M. Runyon CyberSpace - Watch out for AI, they will rip
U of U - CS Dept your eyes out...along with a
nru...@peruvian.utah.edu few other vital body parts.

The Unknown User

Jul 24, 1990, 2:26:47 AM7/24/90

In article <13...@smoke.BRL.MIL> gw...@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

That's really strange! I've seen the game, and it's pretty
darn good! It's only in mono sound, but the graphics and sound are
pretty good... Maybe people should write to them and complain! That's one
that I've contemplated buying...
--
_ __ __ __ _ /-------------------------------\
/_\ |__| | __|(GS) |_| |_ \ / |_| | unk...@ucscb.ucsc.edu |

Lynda Botez

Jul 24, 1990, 12:36:11 PM7/24/90

er) writes:
>>>Hey all you apple gurus, does anyone know of the game of Shufflepuck for
>>>the GS.

>>I recently tried ordering it directly from Broderbund (it was in their
>>catalog), and received a note saying that the IIGS version of Shufflepuck
>>Cafe had been dropped. (No explanation of why this decision was made.)

> I have seen the GS version, actually, I know someone who owns it.

>Can't get a hold of the person though, so I don't know where from.

>> That's really strange! I've seen the game, and it's pretty

>>darn good! It's only in mono sound, but the graphics and sound are
>>pretty good... Maybe people should write to them and complain! That's one
>>that I've contemplated buying...

Gurrrh! You'll NEVER see Shufflepuck sold; at least that was the word for
this really neat program that Broderbund had developed in France. Half way
through the project, Broderbund cancelled the Apple IIGS version.

The reason people report "sightings" of Shufflepuck GS is that, in
actuality, it was completed anyway ... probably by the programmer in
France. About six months ago, beta copies started floating around local
bulletin boards here in the US. The game is GOOD; it does have some bugs,
and it apparently doesn't run on the ROM 03 version, but with a month or
so of fixes it could be put out for sale.

Broderbund is aware that the program was completed. They claim that the
game is too slow; that the load time between character plays are snail
pace (which is absurd; mostly every game on the Apple IIGS takes time to
load). I would imagine that there were other mysterious reasons for
Broderbund to cancel this project that in my mind was more or less 95%
completed; one being that Broderbund feels that games for the Apple IIGS
aren't profitable.

I would really love to see everyone writing Broderbund and demanding this
game. It's better than the Mac version (and it's in color). Drop them
a line at:

Broderbund Software
17 Paul Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903

They really should release it; it ranks up there with some of the best
arcade games for the GS; but unfortunately, it's not for sale.

Lynda

Neil Runyon

Jul 24, 1990, 11:10:50 PM7/24/90

>Gurrrh! You'll NEVER see Shufflepuck sold; at least that was the word for
>this really neat program that Broderbund had developed in France. Half way
>through the project, Broderbund cancelled the Apple IIGS version.

Same thing happened to the game Farey Tale Adventure. I have seen
some of the source for the program, and it was nice. Graphics were fantastic
and it seem like it would be very playable. The project was about 80-80%
done from what I saw, but then Micro-Illusions dropped it for the IIgs.
Really to bad, because it was one of the best programs I have seen so
far. A couple months of work on it and it could have been finished. I know
I waited a long time for it before I found out it had been shelved.

Well...hopefully better luck in the future...

Neil -

James Surine

Jul 25, 1990, 11:11:23 AM7/25/90
> I have seen the GS version, actually, I know someone who owns it.
>Can't get a hold of the person though, so I don't know where from.
>
>Neil M. Runyon CyberSpace - Watch out for AI, they will rip
>nru...@peruvian.utah.edu few other vital body parts.

Yes shufflepuck GS exists and it is finished but they are not going to
publish it. What you saw was either a demo or a pirated copy. I have seen
the pirated copy. I would hope that they would just release this great game
to Freeware or something so people could enjoy it. It is better than the Mac
version because it is in color otherwise it is carbon copy of the Mac version.

Mike Aos

Jul 27, 1990, 3:45:54 AM7/27/90
I don't know if I dare say it on this board, but I have a copy of ShufflePuck
GS and I LOVE it. It's currently my favorite game (and I have literally
hundreds of GS-specific games) and I think it will rank right up there as an
all-time favorite.

Mike

Phil McDunnough

Jul 27, 1990, 10:50:29 PM7/27/90
In article <4397UD182050@NDSUVM1> UD18...@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
>I don't know if I dare say it on this board, but I have a copy of ShufflePuck
>GS and I LOVE it.

Hmm...but why won't it run on a ROM03, or does it!? Please reply via E-mail.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
phi...@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

Douglas Terrebonne

Jul 28, 1990, 2:41:52 AM7/28/90
How the hell can you call it a pirate version if the real thing doesn't
exist??? This really sux... I really LOVE the Mac version, but a GS
version would be AWESOME! Someone please upload a copy! :-)

Doug

Terry Guelfo

Jul 28, 1990, 2:59:21 AM7/28/90

Hahahahaha.... well, I'll tell you... talk to a friend or a contact in Europe.
It is out in France, I believe. I should know... a friend sent me a copy. I
liked it so much, I sent money and asked for an original because I KNEW I was
going to keep it.... it is a very good game... sometimes it gets too fast,
though (Yes, I AM talking about the Apple IIGS version.)

Any questions or comments about this, please email.

"Journey of many dollar begin with one dollar." -- Decker Moss
_______________________ _______________________
| ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest |
| Internet: tg....@pro-harvest.cts.com |
| UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc |
| ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg....@nosc.mil |
| BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harve...@nosc.mil |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|

James Surine

Jul 30, 1990, 12:41:45 PM7/30/90
In article <1990Jul28....@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> do...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Douglas Terrebonne) writes:
>How the hell can you call it a pirate version if the real thing doesn't
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>exist??? This really sux... I really LOVE the Mac version, but a GS
>version would be AWESOME! Someone please upload a copy! :-)
>
> Doug

Because it is copyrighted and didn't pay them for it. Also they can do
anything they want including not publishing it :(. I agree that the should
let it go Freeware or something.
--
+=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+ +=+
j.su...@Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Surine) /\/\/\/\/\

Terry Guelfo

Jul 31, 1990, 9:32:45 AM7/31/90

Sounds like something Broderbund would say. I haven't communicated with him
fora bout 6 months. But, if I eventually am able to reestablish contact with
him, I will let him know that I know a few people who would like a copy of the
program.

Ron Dippold

Aug 2, 1990, 1:13:10 AM8/2/90

> But, if I eventually am able to reestablish contact with him, I will
> let him know that I know a few people who would like a copy of the
program.

You might suggest that if they don't want to go through the tourble of
printing manuals, boxes, distributing, and all the normal stuff that they just
slap a $20 shareware notice on it and put it up on GeNIE and America Online.
They can recover at least some money that way...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!ro...@nosc.mil
INET: ro...@pro-grouch.cts.com