Duet in Lores

limtc

Sep 5, 2008, 9:24:44 PM9/5/08
Just written something using Lores - if you have a non-IE browser,
have fun!

http://virtualgs.larwe.com/gsbasic/run.html?file=duet

Simon D. Williams

Sep 6, 2008, 2:11:57 AM9/6/08
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, limtc wrote:

> Just written something using Lores - if you have a non-IE browser,
> have fun!

Nice! I'd like to see an iTunes visualizer that used Apple II graphics...

] SIMON D WILLIAMS

heuser...@freenet.de

Sep 6, 2008, 2:22:23 AM9/6/08
On Sep 6, 8:11 am, "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> Nice! I'd like to see an iTunes visualizer that used Apple II graphics...

Like this?
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=U7o_4MDWGM0

;)
Marcus

limtc

Sep 6, 2008, 2:35:40 AM9/6/08
This is the original movie....

I would love to recreate the same sequence if possible.

On 9月6日, 下午2时22分, heuser.mar...@freenet.de wrote:

> Like this?http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=U7o_4MDWGM0
>
> ;)
> Marcus

limtc

Sep 6, 2008, 2:43:11 AM9/6/08
That's not an iTunes visualizer (I do hope to see one though)...

Source code: http://virtualgs.larwe.com/gsbasic/scripts/duet.js

Michael J. Mahon

Sep 6, 2008, 3:03:23 AM9/6/08
limtc wrote:
> That's not an iTunes visualizer (I do hope to see one though)...

...and those aren't Apple II graphics, either!

-michael

AppleCrate II: An Apple II "blade server"!
Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."

limtc

Sep 6, 2008, 4:23:41 AM9/6/08
Nobody said it is Apple II graphics, these are simulation of Lores
graphics (however - based on Apple II Lores, 40x40 with a similar but
brighter color palette).

Bill Buckels

Sep 6, 2008, 6:49:24 AM9/6/08

"limtc" <thye...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I love Applesoft (and Complete Pascal and Orca/Pascal) programming,and has
>been running a site for emulated Apple IIGS (Virtual GS) for sometimes now.
>I think people should have all sort of options on this forum, like "Java
>for Apple II" or "Apple II for Java", etc. If we put ourselves as only
>"Apple II programming on real Apple II computers and nothing else", then
>the community will be even smaller.

Hi Michael,

The above is taken from the thread Applesoft-like programming for iPhone on
comp.sys.apple2.programmer in which limitc replied to me with his rationale
on all this.

I think his point is that since the Apple II community is so small that Java
programs for the IPhone that run in some Web Browsers and don't run in the
majority of web browsers and are reminisent of the Apple II are valid topics
for this group.

This isn't applesoft basic either. The fact that the function calls use a
same-naming convention doesn't mean much to me either. I sould for example
write wrappers and library functions for the Aztec C graphics and other
libraries that are exactly like Applesoft calls with brackets around the
parameters and call my language "Applesoft Basic for Aztec C". Doing so
would be more valid in my mind than this since my Graphics library could be
used either in a native mode compiler or in a cross-compiler and would
generate native code that would run on a REAL Apple II. Doing so doesn't
interest me however.

comp.emulators.apple2 might be a more appropriate place for his posts if
this was evolved to a full-blown emulator for the iPhone.

However his posts do generate lots of interest judging from the popularity
of his threads (more than my posts which I think are usually more on topic)
so it could be that this is the future direction of comp.apple2 and related
groups.

I have refrained from participating in these threads because I am more of a
REAL Apple II guy but he could have a point. Besides he is putting a
tremendous amount of effort into this project and it all seems to be working
quite nicely. I certainly can't be negative about that part of it.

What do you think?

Bill

limtc

Sep 6, 2008, 7:21:44 AM9/6/08
I have an updated version of Duet animation.

http://virtualgs.larwe.com/gsbasic/run.html?file=duet

Hi Bill, this is the reason why I didn't say it is "Apple II graphics"
but Lores graphics. The fact is that it simulate Apple II Lores and
that's it. The content of the programs are mostly Apple II related, so
they are posted here since there might be some interest here (it is
the same as some one posted a video or photos about Apple II, but not
created on Apple II).

I operate a site - Virtual GS (http://virtualgs.larwe.com) that
teaches REAL Apple IIGS programming on Virtual Apple IIGS running
simulation (which is tested also on REAL Apple IIGS). I also plan a
path for the Apple IIGS programmers - whether they learn Applesoft or
Pascal - to the real world, thus the creation of GScript and GScript
BASIC. My 9 years old son can now program on REAL and virtual Apple
IIGS, and also do JavaScript and ActionScript programming after his
experience on GS, but that does not make him less an Apple II user, as
long as all my kids and students all think that Apple II is cool!

Michael J. Mahon

Sep 6, 2008, 4:50:24 PM9/6/08
Bill Buckels wrote:
> "Michael J. Mahon" <mjm...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> ...and those aren't Apple II graphics, either!
>
> "limtc" <thye...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I love Applesoft (and Complete Pascal and Orca/Pascal) programming,and has
>> been running a site for emulated Apple IIGS (Virtual GS) for sometimes now.
>> I think people should have all sort of options on this forum, like "Java
>> for Apple II" or "Apple II for Java", etc. If we put ourselves as only
>> "Apple II programming on real Apple II computers and nothing else", then
>> the community will be even smaller.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> The above is taken from the thread Applesoft-like programming for iPhone on
> comp.sys.apple2.programmer in which limitc replied to me with his rationale
> on all this.

Bill, I'm aware of all that...I've been following this thread.

But I was commenting on the video that was linked to by Marcus.
Sorry that this message was not a direct reply to his post.

The graphics shown on *that* screen are not Apple II graphics.

limtc

Sep 6, 2008, 8:56:05 PM9/6/08
Hi Michael,

The question is: what IS that computer? It does not look like
Commodore, IBM or anything around 1984 (http://www.imdb.com/title/
tt0087197/).

Michael J. Mahon

Sep 7, 2008, 1:42:49 AM9/7/08
limtc wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> The question is: what IS that computer? It does not look like
> Commodore, IBM or anything around 1984 (http://www.imdb.com/title/
> tt0087197/).

It is much too sleek...I suspect it was a prop designed for the
movie, with graphics generated by several different means. There
were quite capable professional color graphics workstations available
in that timeframe (for $25000 and up!).

heuser...@freenet.de

Sep 7, 2008, 3:34:02 AM9/7/08
On Sep 7, 7:42 am, "Michael J. Mahon" <mjma...@aol.com> wrote:

> It is much too sleek...I suspect it was a prop designed for
> the movie, with graphics generated by several different means.
> There were quite capable professional color graphics
> workstations available in that timeframe (for $25000 and up!).

I know that an Apple II wasn't used for the graphics. There
are way too many colors & shades on Edgar's screen and it
was very likely only an animation and not operating in real-time.

Maybe a simpler version could be made with lo-res, using the
cassette port for input and assembler for speed.
Using tables with fixed locations and sizes for the rectangles
to the 8 bit input "spectrum" could create something similar.
The biggest rectangles would be perhaps 100-150 bytes large.
Two shades per color aren't the world but better than nothing.
The raster background would've to be dropped, naturally, but
the lower four text lines could display some important looking
numbers.

It was actually just an excuse to post that video, which I had
seen about two weeks ago after reading an article about evil
computers in movies.
Virginia Madsen wrinkling her nose stuck with me, apparently ;-)

bye
Marcus

vladitx

Sep 7, 2008, 4:15:52 AM9/7/08
Just recently saw this slick thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5rvVJULqw

limtc

Sep 7, 2008, 5:15:26 AM9/7/08
I am pretty sure that it is not Apple II - but the lores graphics used
in Duet sequence (not the other music video Love is Love) should be do-
able for machines with bigger color palette.

The color graphics workstation is much more capable than that I think
(which might be used in the other video).

On 9月7日, 下午1时42分, "Michael J. Mahon" <mjma...@aol.com> wrote:

> It is much too sleek...I suspect it was a prop designed for the
> movie, with graphics generated by several different means. There
> were quite capable professional color graphics workstations available
> in that timeframe (for $25000 and up!).

Michael J. Mahon

Sep 7, 2008, 2:00:12 PM9/7/08
heuser...@freenet.de wrote:

> Maybe a simpler version could be made with lo-res, using the
> cassette port for input and assembler for speed.
> Using tables with fixed locations and sizes for the rectangles
> to the 8 bit input "spectrum" could create something similar.
> The biggest rectangles would be perhaps 100-150 bytes large.
> Two shades per color aren't the world but better than nothing.
> The raster background would've to be dropped, naturally, but
> the lower four text lines could display some important looking
> numbers.

Doesn't Fire Organ have a sound input option? If it doesn't,
it should--it produces *much* more interesting "visualizations".

>ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/graphics/cue c06_fire
organ_ceemac.zip

(in case this gets broken, there's a space between "fire" and "organ".)

BTW, you don't really need to synchronize a sufficiently random
visual display with music for it to appear to be synchronized.

Your brain, ever seeking patterns where there are none, will
make the most amazing and subtle connections between any music
and a random display!

You have to try it to see the effect, which I observed many years
ago among people who watched a randomly changing color pattern
on a light box I designed.

> It was actually just an excuse to post that video, which I had
> seen about two weeks ago after reading an article about evil
> computers in movies.
> Virginia Madsen wrinkling her nose stuck with me, apparently ;-)

Thanks for posting it--I never saw Electric Dreams, so it was
brand new for me!

heuser...@freenet.de

Sep 7, 2008, 2:35:34 PM9/7/08
On Sep 7, 8:00 pm, "Michael J. Mahon" <mjma...@aol.com> wrote:

> Doesn't Fire Organ have a sound input option? If it doesn't,
> it should--it produces *much* more interesting "visualizations".

Never tried it but it seems to be something similar.
Maybe one with more time than me could feed the song into it
and record a video?

> BTW, you don't really need to synchronize a sufficiently
> random visual display with music for it to appear to be
> synchronized.
>
> Your brain, ever seeking patterns where there are none, will
> make the most amazing and subtle connections between any music
> and a random display!
>
> You have to try it to see the effect, which I observed many
> years ago among people who watched a randomly changing color
> pattern on a light box I designed.

I believe that in an instant! It's like recognizing faces in
clouds or smoke. Somebody even saw Jesus on a burnt slice of toast!

> Thanks for posting it--I never saw Electric Dreams, so it
> was brand new for me!

It's a great scene in that movie which is quite entertaining, even if
a bit stereotypical. Maybe not exactly Wargames quality
in the nerd factor but fun, nonetheless.

However, my favorite duet scene is the charming one in the
Japanese animation movie "Whisper of the Heart".

bye
Marcus

Senor Wences

Sep 8, 2008, 8:52:31 PM9/8/08
"Electric Dreams" is one of my all-time favorite movies. It came out
in the early 1980s, when people were first bringing into their homes
these new personal computers: there is a great scene in the movie
when he is picking out a computer and there is prominently displayed
in the background an Apple IIe box, IIRC.

The movie has a strange fear of technology message to it, much like
Wargames as Marcus mentioned.

Unfortunately, it is utterly and completely out of print and not
available on DVD. My copy on VHS was recorded at a weird speed and
plays back only on my wife's old TV/VCR combo. Time to digitize ;)

Cheers,

Josh

Bill Garber

Sep 8, 2008, 9:10:35 PM9/8/08

"Senor Wences" <burker...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b473deed-971c-47d3...@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

> "Electric Dreams" is one of my all-time favorite movies. It came out
> in the early 1980s, when people were first bringing into their homes
> these new personal computers: there is a great scene in the movie
> when he is picking out a computer and there is prominently displayed
> in the background an Apple IIe box, IIRC.
>
> The movie has a strange fear of technology message to it, much like
> Wargames as Marcus mentioned.
>
> Unfortunately, it is utterly and completely out of print and not
> available on DVD. My copy on VHS was recorded at a weird speed and
> plays back only on my wife's old TV/VCR combo. Time to digitize ;)

WHAT???!!!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Electric+Dreams+DVD&btnG=Google+Search

Bill Garber from GS-Electronics
http://www.garberstreet.com