Apple IIe Web Server

Simon D. Williams

Feb 18, 2008, 4:58:46 PM2/18/08
This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
http://www.ld8.org:6502
It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
connected to the interweb via Uther.
It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.

_____
|[LD8]! 8-BIT SOUND & FURY : APPLE ][ AUDIO & MUSIC RESOURCES
| o. | +--------- http://8bitsoundandfury.ld8.org ---------+
!__!__! OLD APPLE WEB SERVER LIST http://www.ld8.org/servers

Guillaume Tello

Feb 18, 2008, 5:05:14 PM2/18/08

"Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
Pine.GSO.4.64.08...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.

Wow!
It works!
Let's imagine how wonderful this could be with a hard drive on the IIe.

Guillaume.

Bill H

Feb 18, 2008, 5:37:18 PM2/18/08
On Feb 18, 5:05 pm, "Guillaume Tello" <houten....@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Pine.GSO.4.64.0802181749500.27...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> > This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> >http://www.ld8.org:6502
> > It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> > connected to the interweb via Uther.
> > It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> > a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> > Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.
>
>     Wow!
>     It works!
>     Let's imagine how wonderful this could be with a hard drive on the IIe.
>
>     Guillaume.

Works for me on IE7 with XP. Sugestion since you want to run this on a
single Disk II, make a little program to clean up / compact the web
pages, remove leading spaces from each line, remove non-needed
elements (ie <!???>) etc. These aren't needed by the browser and every
little bit of savings help.

Bill H

Toinet

Feb 18, 2008, 6:06:37 PM2/18/08
On 18 fév, 23:37, Bill H <b...@ts1000.us> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 5:05 pm, "Guillaume Tello" <houten....@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>

> > "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > Pine.GSO.4.64.0802181749500.27...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
>
> > > This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> > >http://www.ld8.org:6502
> > > It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> > > connected to the interweb via Uther.
> > > It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> > > a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> > > Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.

Works on Safari 3.0.4 also. It is really amazing!

One suggestion: add a picture of your IIe ;-)

antoine

Simon D. Williams

Feb 18, 2008, 6:37:34 PM2/18/08
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Bill H wrote:

> Works for me on IE7 with XP. Sugestion since you want to run this on a
> single Disk II, make a little program to clean up / compact the web
> pages, remove leading spaces from each line, remove non-needed
> elements (ie <!???>) etc. These aren't needed by the browser and every
> little bit of savings help.

That's a good idea... the server seems to be a bit finicky about tags and
attributes being uppercase, and there are problems with relative paths in
some browsers, so I'm still trying to figure out how to optimize things.
-s

Bryan Parkoff

Feb 18, 2008, 7:53:20 PM2/18/08
"Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.

Do you mean that any x86 - non-x86 PC machines use internet to connect
to Apple //e's web server through Uther card? Do Apple //e have an ability
to run web server 24 hours a day? I am curious.

Bryan Parkoff

WhollyMindless

Feb 18, 2008, 8:27:36 PM2/18/08
To: Simon D. Williams
Firefox 2.0.0.12 on XP is working also.
--- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
A2Central.com - Your total source for Apple II computing.

Eric Smith

Feb 18, 2008, 8:40:38 PM2/18/08
"Bryan Parkoff" <nos...@nospam.com> writes:
> Do Apple //e have an ability to run web server 24 hours a day? I am curious.

Would you expect them to only be able to run a web server 17 hours a day,
or some other number of hours?

WhollyMindless

Feb 18, 2008, 8:51:18 PM2/18/08
To: Bryan Parkoff

Bryan Parkoff wrote:
> Do you mean that any x86 - non-x86 PC machines use internet to connect
> to Apple //e's web server through Uther card? Do Apple //e have an ability
> to run web server 24 hours a day? I am curious.

Looks like one does! (Actually I don't have a browser running on my
non-"PC" machines right now).

Indiana Joe

Feb 18, 2008, 9:56:29 PM2/18/08
In article <Pine.GSO.4.64.08...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,

"Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> a few times (some browsers don't work at all).

Works fine on my G5x2 Mac, running OS X 10.5.2 and Firefox 2.0.0.12.
I'd suggest sending the link to Slashdot but I don't think it could
handle the traffic. :-)

--
Joe Claffey | "In the end, everything is a gag."
india...@comcast.net | - Charlie Chaplin

sfahey

Feb 18, 2008, 9:34:02 PM2/18/08
To: Simon D. Williams
On 2/18/08 3:58 PM, in article
Pine.GSO.4.64.08...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca, "Simon D.
Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502

Awesome.

Simon D. Williams

Feb 18, 2008, 10:17:23 PM2/18/08
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Bryan Parkoff wrote:

> Do Apple //e have an ability to run web server 24 hours a day? I am
> curious.

I'm curious too... I'm assuming that I'll get slash-dotted by the weekend,
which should give some indication of how much traffic it can handle.
-s

Bryan Parkoff

Feb 18, 2008, 10:31:15 PM2/18/08
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Bryan Parkoff wrote:
>
>> Do Apple //e have an ability to run web server 24 hours a day? I am
>> curious.
>
> I'm curious too... I'm assuming that I'll get slash-dotted by the weekend,
> which should give some indication of how much traffic it can handle.

How would you be curious? If 6502 rules, I suppose that 6502 chip will
be built in cellular mobile phone with only 256 colors. Too bad for video
camera.

Bryan Parkoff

Charlie

Feb 18, 2008, 10:31:37 PM2/18/08

"Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.

Way to go Simon! Works great with Firefox 2.0.0.12, Windows XP Pro.

Charlie

Gregory Weston

Feb 18, 2008, 11:06:30 PM2/18/08
In article <indianajoe3-11DD...@news.giganews.com>,
Indiana Joe <india...@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.4.64.08...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,
> "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> > This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> > http://www.ld8.org:6502
> > It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> > connected to the interweb via Uther.
> > It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> > a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
>
> Works fine on my G5x2 Mac, running OS X 10.5.2 and Firefox 2.0.0.12.
> I'd suggest sending the link to Slashdot but I don't think it could
> handle the traffic. :-)

Safari 3.0.4 on a G5 running OS X 10.4.11 was pretty good here. A little
slow to finish loading, but I could see where I was fairly quickly and
ended up completely loading the page.

WhollyMindless

Feb 18, 2008, 11:33:56 PM2/18/08
To: Charlie
Charlie wrote:

> Way to go Simon! Works great with Firefox 2.0.0.12, Windows XP Pro.

Did anyone have any issues connecting from outside? I got in the first
time I tried with no (significant) problems. It is getting busier. I
first got on at 48 views and now it's showing 80.

Simon D. Williams

Feb 19, 2008, 12:00:58 AM2/19/08
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, WhollyMindless wrote:

> Did anyone have any issues connecting from outside? I got in the first time
> I tried with no (significant) problems. It is getting busier. I first got
> on at 48 views and now it's showing 80.

I'm seeing a few failed connections, but it's actually holding up quite
well. I've added a 20K image of the server... that's giving it a bit more
of a workout ;-)

winston...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2008, 12:42:53 AM2/19/08
On Feb 18, 11:33 pm, "WhollyMindless"

<whollymindl...@a2central.com.remove-hew-this> wrote:
> To: Charlie
>
> Charlie wrote:
> > Way to go Simon! Works great with Firefox 2.0.0.12, Windows XP Pro.
>
> Did anyone have any issues connecting from outside? I got in the first
> time I tried with no (significant) problems. It is getting busier. I
> first got on at 48 views and now it's showing 80.

I couldn't get in at all this afternoon. Trying now, just spinning...
and so is the browser!

Mike Spurgeon

Feb 19, 2008, 1:39:01 AM2/19/08
winston...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Feb 18, 11:33 pm, "WhollyMindless"
> <whollymindl...@a2central.com.remove-hew-this> wrote:
>> To: Charlie
>>
>> Charlie wrote:
>>> Way to go Simon! Works great with Firefox 2.0.0.12, Windows XP Pro.
>> Did anyone have any issues connecting from outside? I got in the first
>> time I tried with no (significant) problems. It is getting busier. I
>> first got on at 48 views and now it's showing 80.

I first looked at 49, and it's now 113. Firefox 3 beta. Works every
time I try.

mr. brad

Feb 19, 2008, 3:53:24 AM2/19/08

"Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.
>
> _____

worked for me using xp pro with latest patches on an evo n800v 2gig compaq
laptop and a really lame 45.4bps connection via the built in 56k
modem...loaded in around i'd say 8 secs..cool

also should 128 hits when i log'd on

very nice....makes me long for the days when the 2 apple //gs were up via my
worldgroup 3.20 server accessable via serial cable/ from internet server
running tpro 4.2f rpg bbs and fv 4.0xev bbs pkgs...now does anyone want to
play with the fv/metal language script and make it accessable directly via a
uthernet card? ie eliminate the pc as the internet link? now that would be
cool... fv/metal bbs's running amuck on everyones ap2 emulation via cell
phone...yeah like i know what i'm talking about..anyway..neat trick

brad
former sysop lost gonzo bbs

Guillaume Tello

Feb 19, 2008, 4:09:21 AM2/19/08

"Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
Pine.GSO.4.64.08...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, WhollyMindless wrote:
>
>> Did anyone have any issues connecting from outside? I got in the first
>> time I tried with no (significant) problems. It is getting busier. I
>> first got on at 48 views and now it's showing 80.
>
> I'm seeing a few failed connections, but it's actually holding up quite
> well. I've added a 20K image of the server... that's giving it a bit more
> of a workout ;-)

Cool image! A bit low to download, but yes we can see the server with
its Apple IIc monitor? And a single drive.

Guillaume.

winston...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2008, 5:26:41 AM2/19/08
On Feb 19, 3:53 am, "mr. brad" <mrb...@ll.net> wrote:
> "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in messagenews:Pine.GSO.4.64.08...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> > This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> >http://www.ld8.org:6502
> > It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> > connected to the interweb via Uther.
> > It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
> > a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> > Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.
>
> > _____
>
> worked for me using xp pro with latest patches on an evo n800v 2gig compaq
> laptop and a really lame 45.4bps connection via the built in 56k
> modem...loaded in around i'd say 8 secs..cool

Hmm - I got nothing at home (Mac OS X Tiger, with Camino browser on
1.5mb DSL) or at work (Win XP, Firefox, on highspeed connection that
tests at 5.5mb download speed).

And I've been trying all day...

Wait a minute, just tried IE, and it worked. Any reason why Firefox
keeps timing out? IE pulled up immediately.

Oracle

Feb 19, 2008, 6:07:00 AM2/19/08
Well done,
it works with I.E. 6 and XP Pro and with my DSL linux and firefox 1.

Mauro

Oliver Schmidt

Feb 19, 2008, 7:53:31 AM2/19/08
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:58:46 -0400, "Simon D. Williams"
<bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
>http://www.ld8.org:6502
>It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
>connected to the interweb via Uther.

I'm really happy to see the results of my work in action :-))

When you write 'v 2.0' I presume that you compiled the server yourself
from the Contiki 2.x sources. Did you download the 2.1 zip file or
grab the latest stuff via anonymous CVS access?

For optimal results you should use the CVS head revision from 1/1/08
or later. There I introduced 'high level config macros'. They are not
yet documented so check out the source. In example the web server can
now be built without UDP support and 'active connect' support thus
saving precious memory. So (at least currently) the web server with
file access should be build best using:

TARGET=apple2enh HTTPD-CFS=1 DEFINES=WITH_LOGGING,WITH_BOOST

If you have specific questions on build options or alike don't
hesitate to get in touch with me...

Best, Oliver

a2retro

Feb 19, 2008, 8:52:29 AM2/19/08
To: ol.sc
Hi Oliver,

ol.sc wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:58:46 -0400, "Simon D. Williams"
> <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
>> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
>> http://www.ld8.org:6502
>> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
>> connected to the interweb via Uther.
>
> I'm really happy to see the results of my work in action :-))
>
> When you write 'v 2.0' I presume that you compiled the server yourself
> from the Contiki 2.x sources. Did you download the 2.1 zip file or
> grab the latest stuff via anonymous CVS access?

actually I sent Simon a build of an older 2.x cvs download (mid December
2007). The last few attempts at building the webserver have failed due I
think to the recent bug/issue you have run into with cc65. I haven't
spent any cycles trying to find a work around for the moment.

> For optimal results you should use the CVS head revision from 1/1/08
> or later. There I introduced 'high level config macros'. They are not
> yet documented so check out the source. In example the web server can
> now be built without UDP support and 'active connect' support thus
> saving precious memory. So (at least currently) the web server with
> file access should be build best using:
>
> TARGET=apple2enh HTTPD-CFS=1 DEFINES=WITH_LOGGING,WITH_BOOST

Good to know .. if you have any suggestions to enable Contiki to build,
I can send Simon a new binary.

> If you have specific questions on build options or alike don't
> hesitate to get in touch with me...
>
> Best, Oliver

> --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85

Glenn

Simon D. Williams

Feb 19, 2008, 1:25:26 PM2/19/08
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Oliver Schmidt wrote:

> I'm really happy to see the results of my work in action :-))
> When you write 'v 2.0' I presume that you compiled the server yourself
> from the Contiki 2.x sources. Did you download the 2.1 zip file or
> grab the latest stuff via anonymous CVS access?

No, I'm not that clever... I got Glenn Jones to compile it for me ;-)
Thanksgo to both yourself and Glenn for making this possible... where do
I send bug reports?
-s>

Scott Alfter

Feb 19, 2008, 1:59:06 PM2/19/08
In article <47ba2879$0$6135$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,

Bryan Parkoff <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>Do Apple //e have an ability to run web server 24 hours a day?

Why not? Mine used to run 24/7 as a BBS. I have one that runs that way now
as a temperature controller. Why would a webserver be any different?

_/_
(IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Simon D. Williams

Feb 19, 2008, 2:01:50 PM2/19/08
On Feb 19, 3:26 am, "winston19842...@yahoo.com"
<winston19842...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hmm - I got nothing at home (Mac OS X Tiger, with Camino browser on
> 1.5mb DSL) or at work (Win XP, Firefox, on highspeed connection that
> tests at 5.5mb download speed).

I couldn't get Camino to connect either... wouldn't even show up as an
attempt on the server log. I also had problems with FireFox (in OS X),
but a lot of people have reported it working without a hitch.

> Wait a minute, just tried IE, and it worked. Any reason why Firefox
> keeps timing out? IE pulled up immediately.

Of all the browsers I've tested, IE 5.2.2 works best... very fast and
no connection problems.
-s

Simon D. Williams

Feb 19, 2008, 2:18:31 PM2/19/08
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Scott Alfter wrote:

> In article <47ba2879$0$6135$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
> Bryan Parkoff <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Do Apple //e have an ability to run web server 24 hours a day?
>
> Why not? Mine used to run 24/7 as a BBS. I have one that runs that way now
> as a temperature controller. Why would a webserver be any different?

Indeed. With only a disk controller and Uther cards, it's unlikely to
overheat... not sure how much of a workout the Disk II can handle, but
something tells me it will keep up just fine.

Charlie

Feb 19, 2008, 2:20:11 PM2/19/08

<winston...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well, I was initially going to mention that you should make sure that port
6502 (great port# Simon :-) is open outbound on your router firewall (mine
wasn't), but if IE works through the same router that isn't the problem.

Charlie

Charlie

Feb 19, 2008, 2:25:31 PM2/19/08

"Oliver Schmidt" <ol...@web.de> wrote in message

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:58:46 -0400, "Simon D. Williams"
> <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
>>This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
>>http://www.ld8.org:6502
>>It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
>>connected to the interweb via Uther.
>
> I'm really happy to see the results of my work in action :-))

And you deserve a big part of the credit.

Thank You for your work.

Charlie

Scott Alfter

Feb 19, 2008, 2:42:50 PM2/19/08

Simon D. Williams <em...@ld8.org> wrote:
>This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
>http://www.ld8.org:6502
>It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
>connected to the interweb via Uther.
>It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
>a few times (some browsers don't work at all).

Worked on the first shot with my Treo 650 running Blazer...hit count is now
up to 217.

Awesome. :-)

fer...@gmx.de

Feb 19, 2008, 4:18:44 PM2/19/08
Works on my linux box with iceweasel.
Great job! There're 237 hits now...
I should replace my new web server with a Apple //e, but I'll have to
shrink my page, then ;-) (especially the 10GB of homemade videos...)

Ferdinand

Warren Ernst

Feb 19, 2008, 5:14:54 PM2/19/08
On Feb 19, 5:52 am, "a2retro" <a2re...@a2central.com.remove-ko2-this>
wrote:

Just a heads-up: Firefox 2 for Windows always times out trying to
connect. IE seems to work fine.

I've tried from several systems and three different networks, getting
the same response everywhere.

-Warr

Simon D. Williams

Feb 19, 2008, 7:47:07 PM2/19/08
Can anyone test it with Contiki? The down-side of this project is that
it ties up my Uther card :(

Charlie

Feb 19, 2008, 10:23:10 PM2/19/08

"Warren Ernst" <wer...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Very strange! I have no trouble with either Firefox 2.0.0.12 or IE 6 on
Windows XP Pro and a DSL connection. The site begins to load (display in
the browser) in 2 or 3 seconds and is completely loaded in about 10 seconds.

Charlie

a2retro

Feb 19, 2008, 10:50:44 PM2/19/08
To: a2retro

a2retro wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> ol.sc wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:58:46 -0400, "Simon D. Williams"
>> <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> actually I sent Simon a build of an older 2.x cvs download (mid December
> 2007). The last few attempts at building the webserver have failed due I
> think to the recent bug/issue you have run into with cc65. I haven't
> spent any cycles trying to find a work around for the moment.

Actually thats wrong - I sent him recent code up until it stopped
compiling with that error - my mistake I was using the disk images out
of the old directory and I got confused.

a2retro

Feb 19, 2008, 10:50:43 PM2/19/08
To: Simon D. Williams

Simon D. Williams wrote:
> Can anyone test it with Contiki? The down-side of this project is that
> it ties up my Uther card :(
> --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85

You can always try with AppleWin

;-)

David Schmenk

Feb 19, 2008, 11:31:51 PM2/19/08
Simon D. Williams wrote:
> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to
> relaod a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.
>
> _____
> |[LD8]! 8-BIT SOUND & FURY : APPLE ][ AUDIO & MUSIC RESOURCES
> | o. | +--------- http://8bitsoundandfury.ld8.org ---------+
> !__!__! OLD APPLE WEB SERVER LIST http://www.ld8.org/servers

Very cool. Working with Safari 3.1 beta.

Dave...

WhollyMindless

Feb 19, 2008, 11:52:47 PM2/19/08
To: Charlie
Charlie wrote:

> Very strange! I have no trouble with either Firefox 2.0.0.12 or IE 6 on
> Windows XP Pro and a DSL connection. The site begins to load (display in
> the browser) in 2 or 3 seconds and is completely loaded in about 10 seconds.
>
> Charlie
>

> --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85

It could be a squid proxy, or firewall or something else messing with
things. I had tons of troubles getting my tivo to talk through the
squid proxy while nothing else had any troubles at all. I can confirm
that Firefox 2 on XP has no significant issues through a linksys router.

a2retro

Feb 19, 2008, 11:52:47 PM2/19/08
To: Simon D. Williams
Simon D. Williams wrote:
> Can anyone test it with Contiki? The down-side of this project is that
> it ties up my Uther card :(
> --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85

Specifying the port with Contiki 1.x does not work - it just drops the
port override

Glenn

Miles Attacca

Feb 19, 2008, 11:57:55 PM2/19/08
On Feb 19, 10:52 pm, "WhollyMindless"
Do also make sure that Firefox isn't blocking the port because it's
not typically used for web browsing. By default, the latest FF will
only whitelist a certain few ports, and you have to go into
configuration to disable that.

Simon D. Williams

Feb 20, 2008, 12:03:43 AM2/20/08
> You can always try with AppleWin

But then I'd have to buy a WIndows PC, which would probably cost more
than another Uther card ;-)

Simon D. Williams

Feb 20, 2008, 12:05:45 AM2/20/08
On Feb 19, 9:52 pm, "a2retro" <a2re...@a2central.com.remove-x2q-this>
wrote:

>   To: Simon D. Williams
>
> Simon D. Williams wrote:
> > Can anyone test it with Contiki? The down-side of this project is that
> > it ties up my Uther card :(

> Specifying the port with Contiki 1.x does not work - it just drops the
> port override

That's what I was afraid of... unfortunately I don't have the option
to use port 80 for this.

Oliver Schmidt

Feb 20, 2008, 4:17:53 AM2/20/08
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:52:29 GMT, "a2retro"
<a2r...@a2central.com.remove-ko2-this> wrote:

>Good to know .. if you have any suggestions to enable Contiki to build,
>I can send Simon a new binary.

Just to inform the others: Glenn and me are already working on
figuring this out via private messages...

Best, Oliver

Oliver Schmidt

Feb 20, 2008, 4:39:05 AM2/20/08
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:25:26 -0400, "Simon D. Williams"
<bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>No, I'm not that clever... I got Glenn Jones to compile it for me ;-)

I see. Thanks Glenn !

>Thanksgo to both yourself and Glenn for making this possible...

You're welcome. We'll find a way to make sure you always get the
latest binary - if something significant changed.

>where do
>I send bug reports?

Good question, next question please ;-)

If you have an issue related to the Contiki core networking component
then you might send a message to the 'contiki-developers' mailing
list. But don't expect too much. Here's a pointer on how to subscribe:

If you have an issue related to the web server then you're most likely
out of luck. It is just an example created a long time ago as a
starting point for own developments. The original author isn't
maintaining it anymore. I noticed that there was code lying around for
serving files from the OS filesystem instead of builtin pages like the
Contiki 1.x web server does. So I made that filesystem code build
again and fixed some obvious bugs. Basically just enough to make the
owner of www.c64web.com acknowledge that it works for him.

Contiki 2.x is meant to be a framework for developing own applications
- or improving the existing ones. I'm providing that framework for
cc65 targets like the A2 and the C64. I'm not developing / maintaining
the applications. If there's someone out there willing/able to do so
I'm here to provide support on specific questions.

Best, Oliver

Oliver Schmidt

Feb 20, 2008, 4:40:10 AM2/20/08
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:25:31 GMT, "Charlie"
<charl...@verEYEzon.net> wrote:

>> I'm really happy to see the results of my work in action :-))

>And you deserve a big part of the credit.

>Thank You for your work.

Thanks for the positive feedback :-)

Best, Oliver

Steven Hirsch

Feb 20, 2008, 7:12:21 AM2/20/08
Simon D. Williams wrote:
> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502

Works fine for me with Swiftweasel 2.0.0.7 64-bit (Firefox fork) on x86_64
Kubuntu Linux.

Nogardvfx

Feb 20, 2008, 10:54:06 AM2/20/08
<bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
>http://www.ld8.org:6502

>It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
>connected to the interweb via Uther.
>It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to relaod
>a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
>Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.
>
> _____
>|[LD8]! 8-BIT SOUND & FURY : APPLE ][ AUDIO & MUSIC RESOURCES
>| o. | +--------- http://8bitsoundandfury.ld8.org ---------+
>!__!__! OLD APPLE WEB SERVER LIST http://www.ld8.org/servers

Any chance of getting a compiled binary posted online somewhere?

Thanks,
Chris Ryan

Simon D. Williams

Feb 20, 2008, 10:54:59 AM2/20/08
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Oliver Schmidt wrote:

> You're welcome. We'll find a way to make sure you always get the
> latest binary - if something significant changed.

Now that's what I call support!

Glenn compiled a new version last night that increases the buffer size
and fixes the 404 problem. It now seems to be working with all browsers,
with far fewer connection issues.

Warren Ernst

Feb 20, 2008, 11:28:26 AM2/20/08

It now works on machines that failed a few days ago, so I'd call it an
improvement.

I especially like the photo: it loads slowly enough that I can
practically hear the Disk ][ drive crunching away to serve it up.

-Warr

sfahey

Feb 20, 2008, 12:17:36 PM2/20/08
To: Simon D. Williams
Re: Re: Apple IIe Web Server
By: Simon D. Williams to comp.sys.apple2 on Wed Feb 20 2008 11:54 am

> Glenn compiled a new version last night that increases the buffer size
> and fixes the 404 problem. It now seems to be working with all browsers,
> with far fewer connection issues.

I concur - I was having trouble with Firefox .12 on Mac (Safari worked fine)
but now it's working too.

Now I feel like doing something stoopid and fun, like putting a special edition
of A2Central out, accessible to real Apple // machines with ethernet/tcpip.

Jean-François Walter

Feb 20, 2008, 2:31:16 PM2/20/08
Warren Ernst a écrit :

Cool!
I can see the server more closer now (XPSP2/Firefox2.12) :-)
Jean-François

aiia...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2008, 6:04:36 PM2/20/08
On Feb 18, 1:58 pm, "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.

In a thread from 2007:

titled: Contiki 1.3 webserver?

I got the contiki 1.3 web server to work through Applewin + uther
emulation and served a page to the www....

(still looking for a java programmer to update Blurrys graphic
server :-)

Rich

Michael J. Mahon

Feb 21, 2008, 4:57:45 AM2/21/08
Simon D. Williams wrote:
> This is something I've wanted to do for a long time:
> http://www.ld8.org:6502
> It's a 64K IIe with a single Disk II running Contiki web server v 2.0,
> connected to the interweb via Uther.
> It's pretty finicky as far as connecting goes -- you might have to
> relaod a few times (some browsers don't work at all).
> Not much in the way of content yet... suggestions are welcomed.

Very cool, Simon!

-michael

NadaPong: Network game demo for Apple II computers!
Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."

Oliver Schmidt

Feb 21, 2008, 12:27:59 PM2/21/08
Hi Chris,

>Any chance of getting a compiled binary posted online somewhere?

I could imagine very well one becoming available on
http://www.a2retrosystems.com/downloads.htm soon...

Best, Oliver

tonykavadias

Feb 22, 2008, 5:31:56 AM2/22/08
On 2008-02-19 10:06:37 +1100, Toinet <antoine...@laposte.net> said:

> On 18 fév, 23:37, Bill H <b...@ts1000.us> wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 5:05 pm, "Guillaume Tello" <houten....@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>

>>> "Simon D. Williams" <bb...@chebucto.ns.ca> a écrit dans le message de
>>> Pine.GSO.4.64.0802181749500.27...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> aod
>>

> Works on Safari 3.0.4 also. It is really amazing!
>
> One suggestion: add a picture of your IIe ;-)
>
> antoine

The image at http://www.ld8.org:6502/server.jpg looks corrupted. Safari 3.0.4
(or is it QuickTime 7.4.1?) on Mac OS X Leopard has trouble decompressing it.

--tonza

David Empson

Feb 22, 2008, 6:32:18 AM2/22/08
<Tony> wrote:

> The image at http://www.ld8.org:6502/server.jpg looks corrupted. Safari 3.0.4
> (or is it QuickTime 7.4.1?) on Mac OS X Leopard has trouble decompressing it.

It is fine for me (also Safari 3.0.4, QuickTime 7.4.1, Mac OS X 10.5.2).

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

winston19842005

Feb 22, 2008, 7:37:58 AM2/22/08

On 2/22/08 6:32 AM, in article
1icqm0h.1g62e8b1kxmstiN%dem...@actrix.gen.nz, "David Empson"
<dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> <Tony> wrote:
>
>> The image at http://www.ld8.org:6502/server.jpg looks corrupted. Safari
>> 3.0.4
>> (or is it QuickTime 7.4.1?) on Mac OS X Leopard has trouble decompressing it.
>
> It is fine for me (also Safari 3.0.4, QuickTime 7.4.1, Mac OS X 10.5.2).

Me too, Camino 1.5.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Although the background behind the computer is VERY interesting. Looks like
what I used to get when testing GIF decoders more than a dozen years ago
when I was having problems resizing for different screen widths...

Is that wallpaper? What is it?

Simon D. Williams

Feb 22, 2008, 10:32:50 AM2/22/08
On Feb 22, 5:37 am, winston19842005 <bjjlya...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Although the background behind the computer is VERY interesting. Looks like
> what I used to get when testing GIF decoders more than a dozen years ago
> when I was having problems resizing for different screen widths...
>
> Is that wallpaper? What is it?

It's water tank insulation... basically bubble wrap with a layer of
aluminum foil on top. I had a 100' roll that I got free, so I stuck it
on the wall. Apart from keeping the room a bit warmer in the winter,
it also improves the acoustics of the room a bit.

Simon D. Williams

Feb 22, 2008, 10:37:02 AM2/22/08
On Feb 22, 3:31 am, Tony Kavadias wrote:

> The image athttp://www.ld8.org:6502/server.jpglooks corrupted.  Safari 3.0.4

> (or is it QuickTime 7.4.1?) on Mac OS X Leopard has trouble decompressing it.

I think it's just Safari... for me it loads the whole image, but stops
displaying after about 25%. If I hit reload it comes up fine. No
problems in Firefox though.

sfahey

Feb 22, 2008, 10:50:54 PM2/22/08
To: a2retro
On 2/19/08 10:45 PM, in article 47BBAF2E.1367...@a2central.com,
"a2retro" <a2r...@a2central.com> wrote:

> Simon D. Williams wrote:
>> Can anyone test it with Contiki? The down-side of this project is that
>> it ties up my Uther card :(
>> --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
>
> Specifying the port with Contiki 1.x does not work - it just drops the
> port override

Glenn - I've tried to e-mail you but Dreamhost is bouncing.

mx2.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com replied with:
"550 <in...@a2retrosystems.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
virtual alias table"
instead of the expected reply:
"25* ..."

a2retro

Feb 22, 2008, 11:31:23 PM2/22/08
To: sfahey

sfahey wrote:
> On 2/19/08 10:45 PM, in article 47BBAF2E.1367...@a2central.com,
> "a2retro" <a2r...@a2central.com> wrote:
>
>> Simon D. Williams wrote:
>>> Can anyone test it with Contiki? The down-side of this project is that
>>> it ties up my Uther card :(
>>> --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
>> Specifying the port with Contiki 1.x does not work - it just drops the
>> port override
>

> Glenn - I've tried to e-mail you but Dreamhost is bouncing.
>
> mx2.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com replied with:
> "550 <in...@a2retrosystems.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> virtual alias table"
> instead of the expected reply:
> "25* ..."

Sorry Sean, in...@a2retrosystems.com was not forwarded to my email
address .. all the others were though. I have fixed that now so it
should work.

Glenn

sicklittlemonkey

Feb 23, 2008, 5:29:43 AM2/23/08
On Feb 23, 12:37 am, "Simon D. Williams" <em...@ld8.org> wrote:
> I think it's just Safari... for me it loads the whole image, but stops
> displaying after about 25%. If I hit reload it comes up fine. No
> problems in Firefox though.

The exact same (to the pixel) corrupted image shows for me
under IE/Firefox Vista and Firefox Mac OS X.

Cheers,
Nick.