Nice old ][ on ePay

Steven Hirsch

Nov 2, 2011, 7:21:10 AM11/2/11
Auction #180748758152

It will be interesting to see what this goes for! The shipping price is
simply absurd, though, and that always gives me pause. Unit looks to be clean
and functional (but mine's older, hehe).

A2CPM

Nov 2, 2011, 9:02:30 AM11/2/11
Hi!
It's up to $504 at 9 AM EDT Wednesday. Now I have even more
incentive to get my sick ][ working.

Willi

D Finnigan

Nov 2, 2011, 9:19:38 AM11/2/11
The motherboard is too new, look:

- missing chip close (right side) to CPU
- no memory select blocks

--
]DF$
Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and

D Finnigan

Nov 2, 2011, 9:37:10 AM11/2/11
But I guess a case with a low serial number is worth it? It's just an Apple
II Plus in a really old case. And with the new, two-piece keyboard.

??????

It must be the bag. Someone must really want to capitalize on his retro 70s
decor....

Steven Hirsch

Nov 2, 2011, 9:43:26 AM11/2/11
On 11/02/2011 09:19 AM, D Finnigan wrote:
> Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Auction #180748758152
>>
>> It will be interesting to see what this goes for! The shipping price is
>> simply absurd, though, and that always gives me pause. Unit looks to be
>> clean
>> and functional (but mine's older, hehe).
>>

> The motherboard is too new, look:
>
> - missing chip close (right side) to CPU
> - no memory select blocks

Ooooh... You are correct, Mr. Sharpeyes! I wonder if this a deliberate
attempt at forgery, or if he simply doesn't realize. I did notice that it had
the black slot connectors (mine, and others I've seen, used green AMP
connectors with panel-mount tabs).

The power supply may be original (not all of them were silkscreened), but
since he doesn't show the rear apron it's hard to tell.

Inflated shipping prices _always_ start ringing the alarm bells, but I didn't
spot the details - thanks.

Steve

Sean Fahey

Nov 2, 2011, 10:18:35 AM11/2/11
I'm still trying to figure out why this happened.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220876370111

MdntTrain

Nov 2, 2011, 12:40:16 PM11/2/11
On Nov 2, 9:18 am, Sean Fahey <a2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still trying to figure out why this happened.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/220876370111

THAT one looks to be plausibly all original, or at least period
correct, and original ROMs must be a big plus.

But the first II referenced by this thread is a very poor example.

- jS

Wholly Mindless

Nov 2, 2011, 1:12:48 PM11/2/11
D Finnigan wrote:
> But I guess a case with a low serial number is worth it? It's just an
Apple
> II Plus in a really old case. And with the new, two-piece keyboard.

It's not just the ][+, it also includes a //e and apparently 2 monitors.
That surely explains the shipping costs.

Sean's $5k sale is the one that creeps me out.

--
Wholly

Wholly Mindless

Nov 2, 2011, 1:17:56 PM11/2/11
D Finnigan wrote:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180748758152

OK, now I'm a little freaked out - is it THREE machines?

The title shows an original ][ - this should be pre-autostart roms and
include the ram blocks as previously described.

The subtitle says - "Plus to bonus computers Apple IIe and Apple II Plus.."

That could be where pictures are confusing us - the screen shot of the boot
and the motherboards might be the ][+

In the description we see -

"Also comes with both apple monitors."

and

"As i am feeling in the Christmas spirit whoever wins this
auction will get the apple II plus and the apple IIe as a gift
from me to you. If you are going to purchase this you
might as well get there cousins. I want these to stay
together and have a good home."

So, it appears there are three machines with multiple monitors. $150
shipping doesn't seem that bad now.

But it would be nice to have pics of all the machines and proper enumeration
of just what is included (and what cards are installed).

--
Wholly

Antoine Vignau

Nov 2, 2011, 4:35:02 PM11/2/11
On 2 nov, 15:18, Sean Fahey <a2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still trying to figure out why this happened.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/220876370111

Oh, I can't see it, blocked to countries out of USA...
av

Cedric Peltier

Nov 2, 2011, 5:41:52 PM11/2/11
Hi Antoine,
Go directly on epay.com and enter 220876370111 in the search field, I
was also frustrated by this barrier...

Antoine Vignau

Nov 2, 2011, 6:32:32 PM11/2/11
Hi Cédric,
both from home and from the office:
"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to
legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in
an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed.
Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items
that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of
limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for
any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items
of interest on eBay."

Antoine

D Finnigan

Nov 2, 2011, 7:43:57 PM11/2/11
Antoine Vignau wrote:
> On 2 nov, 22:41, Cedric Peltier <pced...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > Oh, I can't see it, blocked to countries out of USA...
>> > av
>>
>> Hi Antoine,
>> Go directly on epay.com and enter 220876370111 in the search field, I
>> was also frustrated by this barrier...
>
> Hi C�dric,
> both from home and from the office:
> "Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to
> legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in
> an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed.
> Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items
> that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of
> limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for
> any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items
> of interest on eBay."
>
> Antoine

I sent you a copy of the critical infos by mail.

Tony Cianfaglione

Nov 2, 2011, 8:52:04 PM11/2/11

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Antoine Vignau wrote:

>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/220876370111
>
> Oh, I can't see it, blocked to countries out of USA...

It can be seen in Canada. It sold for $5,145.00 US. There were 45
bidders. Wow!

brad

Nov 2, 2011, 9:33:53 PM11/2/11

$5145 for that apple ii.... (please be true..please be true....knocks
heels together)

boy would i be wealthy!

brad
former sysop lost gonzo bbs

D Finnigan

Nov 2, 2011, 9:53:59 PM11/2/11
Good point, but upon re-evaluating the listing, I stick with my original
conclusion:

He's advertising an early serial number case with an Apple II Plus
motherboard and the new-style keyboard. In fact, the motherboard in my II
Plus is older than the one shown. I'd say that the one that he's trying to
sell is a 7th revision board.

All of the pictures are of this machine, and it is described in the main
body of text. However, he mentions to other machines which are also seen in
the background of one of the pictures: a II Plus, and a IIe. These two
machines are, however, not the "main event."

In any case, it's still neat to get early Apple II equipment, peripherals
(the Disk II has a decently-low SN), and manuals. And close examination does
not reveal evidence contrary to what the seller is stating (in other words,
he's not claiming a rev 0 board or Integer ROMs).

Seller's description:

Up for auction is The Apple II 1977 computer. This Computer is very special
and Rare.
This is the 4364 Apple Computer ever made by Apple. How cool is that.
It comes with original Dos software all 3 disks plus the manual.
Also comes with original apple reference manual and low serial number disk
drive S/N4474
Also i have a very rare apple Orchard magazine as well. I have other manuals
and tapes
i just have to find them. Also comes with both apple monitors.

I have never seen a Apple II with this low serial number out there.
Not many of these left in the world, most were thrown out or recycled.
Minor blemishes, Needs to be dusted off.

As i am feeling in the Christmas spirit whoever wins this
auction will get the apple II plus and the apple IIe as a gift
from me to you.

Seller's packing list:

1 Apple II Computer S/N 4264 1 Apple disk drive S/N 04474. 1 Apple II
Leather bag
1 Apple II Plus Computer S/N 183420.
1 Apple IIe Computer S/N 204603, 2 Apple disk drives S/N 424367 other as no
serial #.
1 Apple II Monitor
1 Apple III Monitor
3 Disk II DOS 3.2 Floppys w manual.
1 Apple II Reference Manual RED
1 Apple II basic Programming Manual
1 Apple Orchard magazine Volume 1 of 1 1980 by International Apple core.
(Really amazing articles and Ad's). It reads.. Apple News Magazine of the
5th
Annual West Coast Computer Faire
1 Pack of 4 unused apple stickers

santamonica 610

Nov 3, 2011, 9:23:42 AM11/3/11
The seller for 180748758152 (Terry Wilkerson) smells like a crook. I
asked Terry if that was the original motherboard since it looked like
a board from a later II+ and he replied that it was in fact upgraded
at some point. Apparently he doesn't feel obligated to post that
information in his auction.

Bill Garber

Nov 3, 2011, 11:35:35 AM11/3/11

"santamonica 610" <santamo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I don't know about the rest of you, but, I feel that it's an
obligation that shouldn't be ignored. Of course, none of us
will want to bid so high on a sham like this. ;)

Bill

Steven Hirsch

Nov 3, 2011, 11:52:19 AM11/3/11
I don't want to call anyone a "crook", but I think that failing to mention
that on top of the breathless hype lacks some integrity.

N.N. Thayer

Nov 3, 2011, 2:39:56 PM11/3/11
On Nov 2, 8:53 pm, dog_...@macgui.com (D Finnigan) wrote:

> He's advertising an early serial number case with an Apple II Plus
> motherboard and the new-style keyboard. In fact, the motherboard in my II
> Plus is older than the one shown. I'd say that the one that he's trying to
> sell is a 7th revision board.

Naw, that's an RFI board - even newer. Rev 7 would still have the
8T28 next to the 6502, as well as a different capacitor layout.

N.N. Thayer

Nov 3, 2011, 3:06:39 PM11/3/11
That is absolutely insane. Looks like a Rev 1 board too. I saw a
working, all-original Rev 0 system go for ~$900 like... three years
ago.

It's getting to the point where pure *pragmatism* is making me want to
cash out on my own Rev 0, even though I regularly use it (which, from
a standpoint of preservation, is the best thing for it).

David Chiu

Nov 3, 2011, 11:12:12 PM11/3/11
On 11/2/2011 6:33 PM, brad wrote:

> $5145 for that apple ii.... (please be true..please be true....knocks
> heels together)

It's so absurd that I find it funny; when I used to work at a used
computer store, we couldn't unload tested working II+ for $100, not to
mention all the Rev 0 units piling up in the bone pile (a lot of them
had the memory select jumper blocks.) Of course, this was 20 years ago...

Steven Hirsch

Nov 5, 2011, 9:51:13 AM11/5/11
That b*sterdized ][ is up to $3,550 USD with one day left on the auction. If
a clueless collector with too much money ends up with it - probably poetic
justice.

D Finnigan

Nov 12, 2011, 5:41:07 PM11/12/11
Sold on Nov 06, 201120:55:57 PST for $5,100 after 48 bids.

Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time
o***o( 0 ) US $5,100.00
Nov-06-11 19:22:51 PST

n***n( 51) US $5,000.00
Nov-06-11 05:50:45 PST

o***o( 0 ) US $4,500.00
Nov-06-11 19:22:22 PST

o***o( 0 ) US $4,300.00
Nov-06-11 19:21:37 PST

o***o( 0 ) US $4,000.00
Nov-06-11 19:19:28 PST

o***o( 0 ) US $3,800.00
Nov-06-11 19:19:02 PST

o***o( 0 ) US $3,700.00
Nov-06-11 19:18:50 PST

o***o( 0 ) US $3,600.00
Nov-06-11 19:18:23 PST

n***n( 51) US $3,500.00
Nov-05-11 06:06:25 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $3,500.00
Nov-05-11 13:40:28 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $3,300.00
Nov-05-11 13:40:13 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $3,200.00
Nov-05-11 13:39:59 PDT

n***n( 51) US $3,000.00
Nov-05-11 06:06:02 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,900.00
Nov-05-11 13:39:45 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,800.00
Nov-05-11 13:39:32 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,650.00
Nov-05-11 13:39:18 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,550.00
Nov-05-11 13:38:35 PDT

n***n( 51) US $2,500.00
Nov-05-11 06:05:49 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,500.00
Nov-05-11 10:20:37 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,100.00
Nov-05-11 10:20:17 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $2,000.00
Nov-05-11 10:19:28 PDT

n***n( 51) US $1,550.00
Nov-05-11 06:05:29 PDT

l***i( 1 ) US $1,550.00
Nov-05-11 09:59:58 PDT

5***v( 154) US $1,500.00
Nov-04-11 20:07:40 PDT

e***r( 240) US $1,450.00
Nov-03-11 20:01:54 PDT

d***u( 181) US $1,400.00
Nov-02-11 16:58:19 PDT

d***u( 181) US $1,350.00
Nov-02-11 14:50:02 PDT

d***u( 181) US $1,275.00
Nov-02-11 07:22:47 PDT

d***u( 181) US $1,200.00
Nov-02-11 07:18:04 PDT

d***u( 181) US $1,100.00
Nov-02-11 07:17:57 PDT

d***u( 181) US $1,050.00
Nov-02-11 07:16:35 PDT

d***u( 181) US $950.00
Nov-02-11 07:15:56 PDT

d***u( 181) US $850.00
Nov-02-11 07:15:48 PDT

d***u( 181) US $750.00
Nov-02-11 07:15:35 PDT

d***u( 181) US $700.00
Nov-02-11 07:15:26 PDT

e***v( 689) US $666.00
Nov-01-11 22:18:40 PDT

z***z( 1920) US $499.00
Nov-02-11 03:36:10 PDT

z***z( 1920) US $400.00
Nov-02-11 03:36:00 PDT

d***u( 181) US $350.00
Nov-01-11 23:22:36 PDT

d***u( 181) US $300.00
Nov-01-11 23:22:17 PDT

d***u( 181) US $275.00
Nov-01-11 23:21:41 PDT

d***u( 181) US $250.00
Nov-01-11 23:21:12 PDT

d***u( 181) US $200.00
Nov-01-11 23:21:01 PDT

d***u( 181) US $160.00
Nov-01-11 23:20:51 PDT

d***u( 181) US $155.00
Nov-01-11 23:20:44 PDT

d***u( 181) US $150.00
Nov-01-11 23:20:34 PDT

o***r( 3324) US $100.00
Nov-01-11 21:59:43 PDT

a***a ( private ) US $1.25
Nov-01-11 22:07:43 PDT

Starting Price US $1.00
Nov-01-11 21:55:57 PDT

Steven Hirsch

Nov 14, 2011, 8:12:39 AM11/14/11
On 11/12/2011 05:41 PM, D Finnigan wrote:
> Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Auction #180748758152
>>
>> It will be interesting to see what this goes for! The shipping price is
>> simply absurd, though, and that always gives me pause. Unit looks to be
>> clean
>> and functional (but mine's older, hehe).
>>

> Sold on Nov 06, 201120:55:57 PST for $5,100 after 48 bids.
>

> Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time
> o***o( 0 ) US $5,100.00

Yow. Just imagine if it had been the real deal! If someone bought that as a
collector's item they may be in for a rude awakening.

David Schmidt

Nov 14, 2011, 8:36:51 AM11/14/11
With a transaction history of zero... probably not.