ADT on a //c

MeccaDragon

Feb 28, 2002, 9:43:32 PM2/28/02
I came across an old rickety apple //c and was working to get ADT
working on the computer. My problem is however I have like 100 apple 2
disks and not a single one is Dos 3.3 So I tried to be inventive I
used copy 2 plus to create a blank prodos floppy and did the text dump
of ADT to my apple and it saved to the prodos disk. My problem is
though I don't think ADT is compatible with ProDOS. So does anyone
know if there is a way to raw dump Dos 3.3 on a blank disk or how I
could do it. I don't even think ProDOS can read a DOS 3.3 disk so I
don't think I could dump dos 3.3 on a ProDOS disk and have it boot. I
have no clue if there is anyway to hack my way around this. Anyone
have any ideas?
Thanks!

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

MeccaDragon

Mar 1, 2002, 12:57:23 AM3/1/02
Oops I forgot to add that I did read the FAQ on downloading the DOS
3.3 thing to memory but everytime I try to download that dmp file it
doesn't work after it's done. Maybe because there is other stuff in
memory because I have to boot ProDos to get to a prompt instead of the
check disk drive thing? Or does some modification need to be done for
the dumpfile to work on the 2c??
Thanks

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:43:32 -0700, MeccaDragon <id...@wantspam.com>

no...@nowhere.net

Mar 1, 2002, 9:15:08 AM3/1/02
I would not argue that you probably have SEEN the instructions with the
DOS33.DMP file, but you certainly could not have READ them. Reread the
following excerpt from the dos33dmpinfo.txt file:

"Apple II Setup
With no diskette in the drive, do a PR#6. If necessary, do a Reset to
get to the usual BASIC prompt."

Ok, maybe you do not know how to "do a reset", my mistake. I forget
about the newbys who are not familiar with the basics.

Press and hold the Control key and tap the reset key and release both
the keys. <Ctrl-Reset>
This will present you with a "]" character, commonly known as a BASIC
prompt. Proceed from there and let us know if any other instructions
throw you.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Rich Beaudry

Mar 1, 2002, 11:43:12 AM3/1/02
MeccaDragon <id...@wantspam.com> wrote in message news:<ks5u7ucnr2m3839bb...@4ax.com>...

> Oops I forgot to add that I did read the FAQ on downloading the DOS
> 3.3 thing to memory but everytime I try to download that dmp file it
> doesn't work after it's done. Maybe because there is other stuff in
> memory because I have to boot ProDos to get to a prompt instead of the
> check disk drive thing? Or does some modification need to be done for
> the dumpfile to work on the 2c??

You DON'T gave to boot a disk to get to a prompt. You can turn the
computer on, with NO disk in the drive. When you get the "Check Disk
Drive" message (or even if the drive just continually tries to find a
disk), press CONTROL-RESET, and you should get the Applesoft prompt,
"]". At that point, you can connect cables, do the IN#2 thing, etc.,
etc.

Rich B.

MeccaDragon

Mar 1, 2002, 12:35:10 PM3/1/02
Yea, I figured this out after reading through some more messages in
the group. The file though still doesnt seem to want to work after I
download it. I try to type INIT HELLO but all I get is a syntax error.
It's weird too because once it dumps the whole text file it never goes
out of the * prompt mode called by the call -151 (I use Ctrl+C to brak
then try the command) I set my line delay to 40 in Hyperterminal,
(This is confusing cause in one part of the page it says 40 and then
down further it says 400) but this doesnt seem to make a difference at
all.

On 1 Mar 2002 08:43:12 -0800, r_be...@hotmail.com (Rich Beaudry)

MeccaDragon

Mar 2, 2002, 5:48:03 PM3/2/02
Ok I tried even some more stuff to get it working but still no go,
here is some more information in the hope that someone might know how
to fix this, here is my exact procedure

Boot up apple //c press Ctrl+Reset to get prompt
Type: IN#2
Type: Ctrl+A, 6 then B
Start Hyperterminal and Connect
Then I click send text file and choose dos33.dmp
It starts sending at the end when it tries to run I get this, seems
like where the program breaks and I am still left at the prompt called
by the -151
9E02- A=00 X=00 Y=A0 P=B0 S=F0

Another wierd thing is when I boot a ProDOS utility and select
AppleSoft Basic and try this it kinda works telling me it took so many
blocks of memory and returns me to the basic prompt but INIT HELLO
still doesn't work. Has anyone with a //c successfully done this?
Thanks again

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:35:10 -0700, MeccaDragon <id...@wantspam.com>
wrote:

>Yea, I figured this out after reading through some more messages in
>the group. The file though still doesnt seem to want to work after I
>download it. I try to type INIT HELLO but all I get is a syntax error.
>It's weird too because once it dumps the whole text file it never goes
>out of the * prompt mode called by the call -151 (I use Ctrl+C to brak
>then try the command) I set my line delay to 40 in Hyperterminal,
>(This is confusing cause in one part of the page it says 40 and then
>down further it says 400) but this doesnt seem to make a difference at
>all.

Sean

Mar 3, 2002, 10:24:31 AM3/3/02
You wouldn't happen to be trying this on a IIC+ and not a IIC would you?

"MeccaDragon" <id...@wantspam.com> wrote in message

MeccaDragon

Mar 3, 2002, 7:22:05 PM3/3/02
Nope it's a //c there is an external power supply and everything/Model
number A2S4000

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:24:31 -0500, "Sean" <se...@snerts-r-us.org>
wrote:

>You wouldn't happen to be trying this on a IIC+ and not a IIC would you?

no...@nowhere.net

Mar 4, 2002, 11:53:20 AM3/4/02
I modified instructions for you from the CSA2 FAQ not included with the
ADT program. I believe this will simplify the process for you. I can
not verify this at this time as I do not have the cable for a IIc.

If you find you just can't get your communications software to
transfer that ADT file, then lets try it without any comm software at
all. We will still essentially make the IBM type in the program on the
Apple II using the comm ports of both computers.

For the Apple Computer---

4. Plug in the cable to both computers. (Properly wired cable is the
key.)

For the WinDoze Computer--

5. Uncompress the ADT122.zip into a folder with the name adt122 on the
root of the C: drive for convenience. (I use Winzip for ease of use.)

6. Boot up a DOS disk and get to a DOS prompt. For a Windows 95/98/ME
computer, use a 'dos window' by selecting Start/ Programs/ MSDOS
Prompt.

7. Set up the port for communications. Type in the following command at
the dos prompt, replace the X with a port number, 1 or 2 where the
cable is plugged into the PC.

mode comX baud=300 data=8 stop=1 parity=n

Now--

8. Turn on the Apple IIc and Press Control REset to get to a prompt.
Then type the floowing two line pressing the Enter key after each line.

IN#2
Ctrl-A6B

window. Replace the X with the port number, 1 or 2 as you did above.

cd \adt122
TYPE DOS33.DMP>comX

10. You will see the DOS file being typed in by your PC.

The Proper cablee diagram according to the FAQs

IIc Port #
5 1
4 2
3

PC Serial Port
9 pin
5 4 3 2 1
6 7 8 9
25pin
13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Name IIc PC9 PC25 Name
DTR 1 6 6 DSR
1 8 DCD shorted to DSR on PC side
Tx 2 2 3 Rx
Gnd 3 5 7 Gnd
Rx 4 3 2 Tx
DSR/ DCD 5 4 20 DTR

no...@nowhere.net

Mar 4, 2002, 12:22:16 PM3/4/02
I modified instructions for you from the CSA2 FAQ not included with the
ADT program. I believe this will simplify the process for you. I can
not verify this at this time as I do not have the cable for a IIc. I
recommend that you print this out.

Lets try it without any comm software at all. We will still

essentially make the IBM type in the program on the Apple II using the
comm ports of both computers.

Turn off the two computers.

4. Plug in the cable to both computers. (Properly wired cable is the
key.)

See the end for a cable diagram.

For the WinDoze Computer--

5. Uncompress the ADT122.zip into a folder with the name adt122 on the
root of the C: drive for convenience. (I use Winzip for ease of use.)

6. Get to a DOS prompt. For a Windows 95/98/ME computer, use a 'dos

window' by selecting Start/ Programs/ MSDOS Prompt.

7. Set up the port for communications. Type in the following command at

the dos prompt, replace the X with a port number, either 1 or 2, where

the cable is plugged into the PC.

mode comX baud=300 data=8 stop=1 parity=n

8. Turn on the Apple IIc and Press Control-Reset to get to a prompt.

Then type the floowing two line pressing the Enter key after each line.

IN#2
Ctrl-A6B

window. Replace the X with the port number, 1 or 2 as you did above.

cd \adt122
TYPE DOS33.DMP>comX

10. You will see DOS 3.3 being typed in by your PC.

11. Before doing anything else, insert a standard 5.25" double-density
diskette into Drive 1 and type

INIT HELLO (i.e. type in INIT HELLO and press RETURN).

The drive should spin and in a minute your diskette should be INITed.

12. Restart the IIc using your new Dos33 diskette.

Thankx,
Ed

The Proper cable diagram according to the FAQs

IIc Port # viewed form the back of the computer/ solder side of the 5
pin din.

5 1
4 2
3

PC Serial Ports are usually numbered

Name IIc PC9 PC25 Name

DTR 1 --- 6 6 DSR

1 8 DCD shorted to DSR on PC side

Tx 2 --- 2 3 Rx
Gnd 3 --- 5 7 Gnd
Rx 4 --- 3 2 Tx
DSR/ DCD 5 --- 4 20 DTR

I recommend that you also short the following wires together on the PC
side, I do not know if this is necessary, but it won't hurt.
7 4 RTS
8 5 CTS

MeccaDragon

Mar 4, 2002, 2:59:15 PM3/4/02
I gave this a try but again got the same error. I checked my cable
again and it seems to be correct, I downlaoded ADT.dmp successfully I
just don't have a Dos 3.3 disk to run it off of so thats my problem
one question that I have is the ADT122.zip file that I have doesn't
have the dos33.dmp file in it. should it? I got mine from the one site
(the dmp file is 28,765 bytes) but it didn't work so I don't know if
this is a different one. This is driving me crazy!!!

MeccaDragon

Mar 4, 2002, 4:06:09 PM3/4/02
Well I finally got it working! I found a disk that had Dos 3.3 on it
and got a disk formatted and everything worked!!! So expect a nice
page from me on how to do this on a //c I think we need one in
english.

On Mon, 04 Mar 2002 12:59:15 -0700, MeccaDragon <id...@wantspam.com>
wrote:

>I gave this a try but again got the same error. I checked my cable
>again and it seems to be correct, I downlaoded ADT.dmp successfully I
>just don't have a Dos 3.3 disk to run it off of so thats my problem
>one question that I have is the ADT122.zip file that I have doesn't
>have the dos33.dmp file in it. should it? I got mine from the one site
>(the dmp file is 28,765 bytes) but it didn't work so I don't know if
>this is a different one. This is driving me crazy!!!

no...@nowhere.net

Mar 4, 2002, 4:51:35 PM3/4/02
Well I'm gonna have to make a cable for the IIc and try this. It really
should have worked.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Thankx,
Ed

MeccaDragon

Mar 4, 2002, 6:19:30 PM3/4/02
Cool, Give it a try, ADT works perfectly and I have transfered several
disk images successfully so I don't think my cable is messed up it
just seems to be that Dos 3.3 dump file. Please let me know if you
find out anything as I'm curious to hear if it works for you.

Michael J. Mahon

Mar 5, 2002, 1:25:08 AM3/5/02
MeccaDragon wrote:

>I gave this a try but again got the same error. I checked my cable
>again and it seems to be correct, I downlaoded ADT.dmp successfully I
>just don't have a Dos 3.3 disk to run it off of so thats my problem
>one question that I have is the ADT122.zip file that I have doesn't
>have the dos33.dmp file in it. should it? I got mine from the one site
>(the dmp file is 28,765 bytes) but it didn't work so I don't know if
>this is a different one. This is driving me crazy!!!

You don't need a DOS 3.3 disk--the purpose of the exercise is to
_make_ a DOS 3.3 disk!

It sounds like you have a bad copy of DOS33.DMP, and that has
caused all your problems.

-michael

Email: mjm...@aol.com
Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/