ProTERM 3.1 - Reclassified & Released

A2Aviator

Apr 18, 2009, 12:25:26 PM4/18/09
This has been in works behind the cloak at the site for the last few
weeks, it's been a wild and twisted ride. But patience pays off for
the rewards are great.

As originally published on A2Central.com, ProTERM is now available at
the Lost Classics Project, along with the reintroduction of the
Apple ][ Lost Classics Project.

For Release, 18-April, 04:31:54 [+7]

After a nearly 23 year run as the premier Apple II Communications
package and after collecting accolades, including two Awards of
Excellence for the Best Apple II Software, of which ProTERM won this
award twice and no other Apple II software ever took the trophy, and
the best now gets even better!

Starting with the release of the Terminal program that set standards
and took the Apple II community by storm in 1987 when Greg Schaefer of
GBBS fame brought us ProTERM 1.0, ProTERM continued to set standards
with constant releases through version 2.1. In the Spring of 1990,
ProTERM changed publishers to InSync Software, they were in-sync with
what Apple II users demanded when they delivered an improved ProTERM
2.2. Many asked why 2.2, and not 3.0? Well, this was just a teaser of
things to come. In the Fall of 1991 after an intense 18 month
development, InSync proved once again that the best can be made better
and ProTERM 3.0 was released to rave reviews.

It didnt stop there. After yet another 15 months of fine tuning, and
after InSync became InTrec, ProTERM 3.1 was released to keep up with
then current technology. InTrec and Greg may have outdone themselves
with that release as it lasted all these years and was able to adapt
to all the modem changes over the years.

Today, with the warmest regards to the entire Apple II community of
both then and now, from InTrec Software, Jerry Cline, Greg Schaefer,
Tony Diaz, Dave Miller, that we bring you ProTERM A2 version 3.1, for
your everlasting enjoyment.

ProTERM has enjoyed tremendous support from the community throughout
its entire existence. It was even said that Nine out of Ten Pirates
preferred ProTERM. So while Talk is Cheap, ProTERM is now Free.
ProCOMM? No, ProTERM is the real Pro. So quit MouseTalkin around,
click on over and discover the end all, get all, premier Apple II
Telecommunications package today!

ProTERM will be available soon via the newly returning Apple II Lost
Classics Project repository. An online support forum has been created
at http://16sector.com/forum/

Along with the application itself, the 340 page users manual has been
converted to PDF, and released alongside ProTERM. The ProTERM manual
alone was worth the price of the entire package, and in that, I mean
even just the chapter on modem configuration and commands alone was
worth the entire price. InTrec really put out a prime publication.

With the change of status to (C) Freeware, please realize that InTrec
can not give one on one support for ProTERM any longer and that
support has now been transferred to the community at large.

I am proud to have been able to arrange for, and prepare ProTERM 3.1
and its 23 years of history for release to the Apple II Community.
Please enjoy it.

Tony Diaz/16 Sector

ProTERM 3.1 is (C) 1991-1993 Greg Schaefer, and the ProTERM package
and documentation are (C) 1991-2009 InTrec Software.

ProTERM may be distributed on disks and other media as long as this
original archive is used and it is of course, complete with this
notice. With regard to electronic distribution please link right here
to the Lost Classics Project site (http://lostclassics.apple2.info) to
always have the latest release available. Yes, ProTERM is pretty well
vested, but even as ProTERM is released this 15-April, 2009, things
have been changing and folks have been doing updates. It's our
intention to work these into the archive and make updated releases. By
linking or referring to the Lost Classics Project, you will be assured
of always receiving the latest availalble archive and it's associated
items.

Tidbits:

Did you know you can change file types with ProTERM?

Yes, you can. You can use ProTERM to fix the $E0 file type on
downloaded Shrinkit Archives that have had their file type lost.

ProTERM also has an excellent text editor integrated right into it.
Everything except the actual packing of the archive, having to do with
the Apple II specifics of releasing ProTERM was done with ProTERM
itself. Files copied, this information file created, etc.

Once again, Enjoy ProTERM- It's for all of you.

Thank you for all the years of honoring the distribution. This is your
reward.

Bill Buckels

Apr 18, 2009, 1:48:08 PM4/18/09

"A2Aviator" <a2av...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

Were you just waiting for the right time:)

I will read later and if source code is available perhaps I won't need to
deal with elistist cr*p from DA BOYZ IN DA HOOD!

Bill

A2Aviator

Apr 18, 2009, 1:57:11 PM4/18/09
It's been brewing for about two weeks with the intention of this
weekend sometime.

Charlie

Apr 18, 2009, 2:42:23 PM4/18/09

"A2Aviator" <a2av...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> snip <

> Today, with the warmest regards to the entire Apple II community of
> both then and now, from InTrec Software, Jerry Cline, Greg Schaefer,
> Tony Diaz, Dave Miller, that we bring you ProTERM A2 version 3.1, for
> your everlasting enjoyment.

Thank you, Tony, Jerry, Greg, Dave and InTrec Software for your work and
for releasing ProTERM A2 version 3.1 with documentation. It is
appreciated.

Charlie

Simon D. Williams

Apr 19, 2009, 4:31:40 AM4/19/09
This is really great! Will 140K disk images be made available?

Bill Buckels

Apr 19, 2009, 8:43:12 AM4/19/09

"Simon D. Williams" <em...@ld8.org> wrote:

>This is really great! Will 140K disk images be made available?

ProTERM may be distributed on disks and other media as long as the original
archive is used and it is complete. With regard to electronic distribution
please link to the Lost Classics Project site
(http://lostclassics.apple2.info) to always have the latest release.

Unfortunately the terms of distribution don't allow me to put my 140K disks
online. Send me private mail to arrange to have copies of these sent.
Thanks.

I have them prepared according to the manual of course and the orginal
archive has been used and is complete. I am also linked to the Lost Classics
Project.

Bill

John B. Matthews

Apr 19, 2009, 9:47:06 AM4/19/09
In article
<34b44042-a493-477b...@l16g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

"Simon D. Williams" <em...@ld8.org> wrote:

> This is really great! Will 140K disk images be made available?

If you exclude the file "PT3.BACKUP", the files consume 193,536 bytes.
The manual describes making a "flippy" boot/run 5.25" disk, but a 3.5"
disk is roomier.

I often telnet to Talk-is-Cheap running on an emulator (KEGS). I see it
ringing in the PT3 window but it never answers. Any clues? I'm still
reading the fine manual.

$ ac -l pt3.po
pt3.po /PT3/
PRODOS SYS 035 05/06/1993 05/06/1993 17,128
PT3 SYS 064 05/11/1993 04/09/1993 32,000 A=$2000
PT3.CLOCK TXT 007 05/11/1993 08/21/1991 2,571
PT3.CODE0 BIN 032 05/11/1993 04/09/1993 15,872
PT3.CODE1 BIN 032 05/11/1993 04/09/1993 15,616
PT3.CODE2 BIN 081 05/11/1993 04/09/1993 40,960
PT3.CODE3 BIN 038 05/11/1993 04/12/1993 18,944
PT3.CODE4 BIN 033 05/11/1993 04/09/1993 16,384
PT3.CONVERT BIN 007 05/11/1993 04/10/1993 3,072 A=$1000
PT3.DIAL DIR 001 04/19/2009 04/19/2009 512
PTD.SPACEBAR COM 001 04/17/2009 04/17/2009 137
PT3.GLOBAL TXT 026 05/11/1993 04/10/1993 12,551
PT3.SYSTEM SYS 003 05/11/1993 04/11/1993 1,024 A=$2000
PT3.WELCOME TXT 001 05/11/1993 04/10/1993 221
ABOUT.PROTERM TXT 010 04/17/2009 04/17/2009 4,211
ProDOS format; 625,664 bytes free; 193,536 bytes used.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

A2Aviator

Apr 19, 2009, 10:48:16 AM4/19/09
I intended to also put and 800K and 140K image set online as well.

FWIW, the intended meaning of the distribution was "that the original
archive is used" as in, "it's what was distributed", intact, as
published. I had the images done already, the issue was the lack of
the revised readme file within them.

No worries, we'll fix it.

Bill Buckels

Apr 19, 2009, 10:52:04 AM4/19/09

"John B. Matthews" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>The manual describes making a "flippy" boot/run 5.25" disk, but a 3.5" disk
>is roomier.

I made 5 1/4" flippy floppies according to the manual. I someone wants to
send me $10 for my time, the postage, the packaging and the disk I will send
them one. This seems rather silly to say.

In a month or so when I get the time and another microdrive for my GS I will
make the same offer for a 3 1/2" copy for $10. That also seems silly to say.

Sorry but I can only make this offer for Canada and the US.

Like I said I have the disk images right here for production, including the
utilities that were originally bundled, and the only thing that stands
between them and anyone else are the terms of distribution which say it is
ok to distribute disks but not electronic copies which means there is a cost
involved because I can't afford to buy the world a real copy.

>i often telnet to Talk-is-Cheap running on an emulator (KEGS). I see it

>ringing in the PT3 window but it never answers. Any clues? I'm still
>reading the fine manual.

I've got it up in Kegs32 but no time to play until later Dr. John.

Bill

John B. Matthews

Apr 19, 2009, 12:02:43 PM4/19/09
In article
<11c76838-4ea3-455e...@y7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
A2Aviator <a2av...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I intended to also put and 800K and 140K image set online as well.

Excellent! I see now that PT3.BACKUP is part of the distribution but not
essential to a working copy.

> FWIW, the intended meaning of the distribution was "that the original
> archive is used" as in, "it's what was distributed", intact, as
> published. I had the images done already, the issue was the lack of
> the revised readme file within them.

It's natural to prefer the distribution archive. For example, a file
like PT3.BACKUP could easily be missing from a working copy made at a
time when space was limited.

> No worries, we'll fix it.

Sounds good. In the interim, I'm sure folks here can help those new to
ShrinkIt.

For those tinkering in an emulator. I used KEGS 0.91 on Mac OS X 10.5.6.
On the ProTerm side, I set Modem: Generic 9600 Baud Driver; Port: Apple
IIgs Modem Port; Slot: 2; Init: _ATX3&D2. I used the closed-apple-T
macro to go online and the "ATA" command to answer. On the host side, I
used "telnet 127.0.0.1 6502"; the "toggle crmod" command makes things a
little easier to read.

LOL, I just saw the ProTerm screensaver. :-)

Simon D. Williams

Apr 19, 2009, 2:07:30 PM4/19/09
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, John B. Matthews wrote:

> If you exclude the file "PT3.BACKUP", the files consume 193,536 bytes.
> The manual describes making a "flippy" boot/run 5.25" disk, but a 3.5"
> disk is roomier.

Thanks, I haven't quite finished reading the manual yet ;-)

] SIMON D WILLIAMS

N.N. Thayer

Dec 18, 2016, 9:01:46 AM12/18/16
Looks like both the Lost Classics site and 16sector.com have both been down for some time.

I'm interested in getting ProTERM working on both my //e and Laser 128EX. No 3.5" drives available, though - would need a 140K version.

Was this ever made available?

(Bill - I'm fully prepared to send you $10 if I need to!) :)

Hugh Hood

Dec 18, 2016, 11:31:31 AM12/18/16
On 12/18/2016 8:01 AM, N.N. Thayer wrote:

> Looks like both the Lost Classics site and 16sector.com have both been down for some time.
>
> I'm interested in getting ProTERM working on both my //e and Laser 128EX. No 3.5" drives available, though - would need a 140K version.
>
> Was this ever made available?
>
> (Bill - I'm fully prepared to send you $10 if I need to!) :)

You can find the ProTERM downloads (both program and docs) here:

<https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20150222154836/http://lostclassics.apple2.info/downloads/?dl_cat=11>

This was the 'official' freeware release. There is/are a later version
of the device drivers (PT3.CODE0), but it is not necessary in most
cases. Yes, I've lobbied to have the 'later' version that I received in
1998 released as 'official', and the offer still stands, but like the
phone of a washed-up 1950's TV actor, my phone has not rung.

I noticed that while the .2MG file (and the .pdf) at the link I posted
would download, the .SHK file would not. It you'd rather have that, just
keep trying different 'capture' dates until you find one that works.

The Internet Archive is quite beneficial in cases such as this. I know
that it has allowed me to retrieve information from other A2-related
websites that are no more. Thank you, Internet Archive, and may you
never host something of mine that I just as soon be buried. ;-)

Hugh Hood

Bill Garber

Dec 18, 2016, 6:26:35 PM12/18/16
"Hugh Hood" wrote in message
I was able to download the 800K disk and the PDF, but, I got
ACCESS DENIED when I tried the 140K disks and SHK image.

Bill Garber * http://www.sepa-electronics.com *

Hugh Hood

Dec 19, 2016, 3:29:31 PM12/19/16
in article o375sk$ev2$1...@dont-email.me, Bill Garber at will...@comcast.net
wrote on 12/18/16 5:26 PM:

> I was able to download the 800K disk and the PDF, but, I got
> ACCESS DENIED when I tried the 140K disks and SHK image.
>
> Bill Garber * http://www.sepa-electronics.com *

Bill, if you'd like the .shk version of ProTERM 3.1, I noticed David has it
on his site:

<http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=2089&keywords=proterm>

I'm not sure how the program divided over 2 disks for use with 5-1/4"
floppies, so you'd probably have to do some trial and error if you needed
that.

I did spend a little time scanning other capture dates on the Internet
Archive for the Lost Classics site, and it seems some of the file links
appear to be hacked with nonsense. Strange.

Hugh Hood

Bill Garber

Dec 19, 2016, 8:24:32 PM12/19/16

wrote on 12/18/16 5:26 PM:

>> I was able to download the 800K disk and the PDF, but, I got
>> ACCESS DENIED when I tried the 140K disks and SHK image.
>>
>> Bill Garber * http://www.sepa-electronics.com *
>
> Bill, if you'd like the .shk version of ProTERM 3.1, I noticed
> David has it on his site:
>
> <http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=2089&keywords=proterm>

Thank you, Hugh... I often forget how thorough David is
with his site, and that he tries to have everything that
is available other places. I hate it when he talks about
quitting it. He does such an awesome job. 8<(

> I'm not sure how the program divided over 2 disks for use
> with 5-1/4" floppies, so you'd probably have to do some
> trial and error if you needed that.

I have disks marked ProTerm 3.0, and I wanted to be sure
that I have version 3.1 on hand.

> I did spend a little time scanning other capture dates on the
> Internet Archive for the Lost Classics site, and it seems some
> of the file links appear to be hacked with nonsense. Strange.

That is strange, but, I have been seeing links that are no good
everywhere, including Asimov, and Open Cores, among others.