An SPVHD success!

Steven Hirsch

Nov 3, 2011, 11:57:18 AM11/3/11
All,

According to Cedric, I have bragging rights for the first successful bringup
of SPVHD outside his workshop :-).

I received the bare board and a handful of parts last summer and finally found
the time to build it into a little project box. Once I sorted out that a DOS
3.3 image was a non-starter (no driver for Smartport), it worked first shot.

So far, I've booted P8 on a IIgs Rev 1 and an original //c. There appears to
be an issue with IIc+ at this point, but Cedric is sending me a new firmware
flash in an attempt to correct it - minor point at the moment.

It is incredibly cool to have a modern storage option for the //c and I
recommend this device highly!

Steve

Wholly Mindless

Nov 3, 2011, 5:10:13 PM11/3/11
Steven Hirsch wrote:
> According to Cedric, I have bragging rights for the first successful
> bringup
> of SPVHD outside his workshop :-).

> Steve

Congratulations to both of you!

--
Wholly

Sam Latella

Nov 3, 2011, 6:12:24 PM11/3/11
Any pics?... would be interested on how it works on the //c! And is it
forsale!

Thanks,
Sam

Antoine Vignau

Nov 3, 2011, 6:22:11 PM11/3/11
The DIY package is available, visit http://www.spvhd.org/ - chapter 4.

Antoine

James Littlejohn

Nov 3, 2011, 6:51:01 PM11/3/11
I was not aware these were already being sold! I must get one(or
three). ;)

Steven Hirsch

Nov 4, 2011, 7:20:12 AM11/4/11
On 11/03/2011 06:12 PM, Sam Latella wrote:
> Any pics?... would be interested on how it works on the //c! And is it
> forsale!

It works perfectly on the //c and IIgs. Apparently the IIc+ is very uncommon
in France and Cedric has not had one to work with. Hopefully we can debug by
proxy through me :-).

I'd love to provide pictures, but my Canon Elph developed what appears to be
electro-migration based rot (all too common in consumer products,
unfortunately). Hopefully I'll have a working camera soonish and can get
photos out.

Steven Hirsch

Nov 4, 2011, 7:25:06 AM11/4/11
On 11/03/2011 06:51 PM, James Littlejohn wrote:
>> The DIY package is available, visithttp://www.spvhd.org/- chapter 4.
>>
>> Antoine

> I was not aware these were already being sold! I must get one(or
> three). ;)

Only the bare-board + parts kits are available. Cedric is still working on
the enclosure for finished units.

If you can get your hands on DB19 M&F connectors and have a decent bench
setup, construction is not too bad. Took me a couple of evenings.

I found a 25pin serial cord in my junk bin with 18-conductors + shield and
used the wire for the drive cable. The entire thing fit in a little Velleman
project box about 4 x 1-3/4 x 1-3/4".

Steve

A2CPM

Nov 4, 2011, 10:05:08 AM11/4/11
Hi!

On Nov 3, 11:57 am, Steven wrote:
<--- snip --->
> It is incredibly cool to have a modern storage option for the //c and I
> recommend this device highly!

This device appears to be the lowest cost way, currently
available, to add a high density external storage medium to your Apple
II.

Willi

Sam Latella

Nov 4, 2011, 10:09:56 AM11/4/11
Great would love to see this! As this could be my solution for mass storage
on my newly acquired but used //c. Just have to figure what roms I have
inside the //c without opening it up.

I'm thinking of attaching a wireless audio and video transmitter to the //c
and a 55 inch led tv for game play. Looks great on the big screen when it's
wired in, but I would rather have wireless solution.

However, having the SPVHD would be great too!

Sam

David Schmidt

Nov 4, 2011, 10:31:24 AM11/4/11
On 11/4/2011 10:09 AM, Sam Latella wrote:
> Great would love to see this! As this could be my solution for mass storage
> on my newly acquired but used //c. Just have to figure what roms I have
> inside the //c without opening it up.

If PRINT PEEK(64447) returns 255, you have an original IIc (ROM revision
'255').

If PRINT PEEK(64447) returns 0, you have an Apple IIc with UniDisk 3.5
inch drive support (ROM revision '0').

If PRINT PEEK(64447) returns 3, you have an Apple IIc with memory
expansion support (ROM revision '3').

If PRINT PEEK(64447) returns 4, you have an Apple IIc with a
modified/fixed version of memory expansion support (ROM revision '4').

If PRINT PEEK(64447) returns 5, you have an Apple IIc Plus (ROM revision
'5').

BLuRry

Nov 4, 2011, 10:47:23 AM11/4/11
Is there a way to update rom 255 to rom 0? Would love to have one of
these -- even if I only get to use it on the //gs.

BLuRry

Nov 4, 2011, 11:04:38 AM11/4/11
Wait -- silly me should have looked @ reactive micro's website
sooner. ;-)

-B

Steven Hirsch

Nov 4, 2011, 2:39:02 PM11/4/11
On 11/04/2011 11:04 AM, BLuRry wrote:
>> Is there a way to update rom 255 to rom 0? Would love to have one of
>> these -- even if I only get to use it on the //gs.
>
> Wait -- silly me should have looked @ reactive micro's website
> sooner. ;-)

Looking won't do much good. They are not currently in a position to ship
anything.

Is the pinout of the masked ROM compatible with a 27xxx part? If so, someone
point me to an image and I can burn you a copy.

Steven Hirsch

Nov 4, 2011, 2:42:47 PM11/4/11
On 11/04/2011 11:04 AM, BLuRry wrote:
>> Is there a way to update rom 255 to rom 0? Would love to have one of
>> these -- even if I only get to use it on the //gs.
>
> Wait -- silly me should have looked @ reactive micro's website
> sooner. ;-)

Shoot. I misunderstood you. I forgot that they had some of that stuff
available for download.

Do you have an EPROM burner? If not, ping me privately.

Steve

magnusfalkirk

Nov 4, 2011, 3:10:37 PM11/4/11
Cool! Glad to hear someone else has one working. Now all I've got to
do is wait for him to get the already assembled version ready to ship
and I'll be getting one to add to my //c+. It would have been added to
the //c but I managed to pick up a //c+, monitor, external 5.25 drive
and an Imagewriter II printer through a Craigslist posting that CC
Rider reposted to comp.sys.apple2.marketplace. I've had the //c for a
couple years but I've been wanting to get a //c+ and third time seems
to be the charm with Craigslist postings.

Dean
Apple II Forever for Real!

Steven Hirsch

Nov 4, 2011, 4:48:27 PM11/4/11
Hopefully, the issues with the IIc+ will be sorted out before it's shipped.
Currently, it refuses to boot from the sphvd. If you boot from a floppy, it
sees only the first virtual disk on the spvhd and cannot find the others. I
have faith in Cedric and have indicated my willingness to be tester on this
end (he has no access to a IIc+).

Steve

Antoine Vignau

Nov 4, 2011, 6:02:59 PM11/4/11
I've asked some French friends whether they own a IIc+ or not. One of
them owns one and I'm waiting for his anwser. That would probably be
easier to manage intra-France, even more around Paris where Cédric
lives.

As far as the IIe card for Mac is concerned, the last smartport
interface he has not tested yet, I own one and will lend it to him.

Thanks,
Antoine

Sam Latella

Nov 5, 2011, 6:25:03 AM11/5/11
Thanks!

Jerry

Nov 7, 2011, 1:13:05 AM11/7/11
There are DB-19 connectors and hoods available for a reasonable price
(in North America anyhow; I'm in Canada). I bought mine from
www.connectworld.net.

I haven't yet put my SPVHD together; it's waiting for a few spare
evenings.

--
Jerry awanderin at yahoo dot ca

Steven Hirsch

Nov 7, 2011, 7:57:43 AM11/7/11
On 11/07/2011 01:13 AM, Jerry wrote:
> Steven Hirsch<snhi...@gmail.com> writes:

>> I found a 25pin serial cord in my junk bin with 18-conductors + shield
>> and used the wire for the drive cable. The entire thing fit in a
>> little Velleman project box about 4 x 1-3/4 x 1-3/4".
>>
>> Steve
>>

> There are DB-19 connectors and hoods available for a reasonable price
> (in North America anyhow; I'm in Canada). I bought mine from
> www.connectworld.net.

Yes, my wording was a bit tortured... I used only the raw _cable_ from the
25pin cord. The connectors are DB19s (not that hard to find on this side of
the pond, but apparently pure unobtanium in France).

> I haven't yet put my SPVHD together; it's waiting for a few spare
> evenings.

Just be very careful following the schematic! It's way too easy to get your
eyes crossed following wires back and forth :-)

Steve

Sean Fahey

Nov 7, 2011, 9:40:51 AM11/7/11
On Monday, November 7, 2011 6:57:43 AM UTC-6, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> Yes, my wording was a bit tortured... I used only the raw _cable_ from the
> 25pin cord. The connectors are DB19s (not that hard to find on this side of
> the pond, but apparently pure unobtanium in France).

Maybe Cedric can work out a deal with Vlad?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Male-Solder-Connector-Hood-/160678101291

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Female-Crimp-Connector-/150693260213

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Female-PCB-angled-Connector-/150693260236

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Female-Solder-Connector-Hood-/150693260285

The shipping between France and Bulgaria has got to be a lot more reasonable.

Steven Hirsch

Nov 7, 2011, 10:50:31 AM11/7/11
I'm going to drop him a note to advise that the pictures are crossed between
the second and fourth item above.

Anthony Lawther

Nov 7, 2011, 3:49:28 PM11/7/11
Steven Hirsch <snhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2011 01:13 AM, Jerry wrote:
>> Steven Hirsch<snhi...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I found a 25pin serial cord in my junk bin with 18-conductors + shield
>>> and used the wire for the drive cable. The entire thing fit in a
>>> little Velleman project box about 4 x 1-3/4 x 1-3/4".
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> There are DB-19 connectors and hoods available for a reasonable price
>> (in North America anyhow; I'm in Canada). I bought mine from
>> www.connectworld.net.
>
> Yes, my wording was a bit tortured... I used only the raw _cable_ from
> the 25pin cord. The connectors are DB19s (not that hard to find on this
> side of the pond, but apparently pure unobtanium in France).

Perhaps using the correct identifier as the search term is of more help: I
searched for "DA 15 France" and came up with a link to Farnell in the UK.
The particular connector was out of stock but an equivalent (german made)
connector is available for £3.48
http://uk.farnell.com/itt-cannon/da-15p-k87/connector-solder-cup-plug-15-way/dp/1760325
There are female connectors and hoods in stock also.
I haven't done a price comparison but surely shipping from the UK has to be
cheaper than from north America.

Regards,
Anthony

Michael J. Mahon

Nov 7, 2011, 5:52:44 PM11/7/11
Actually, shipping from the US is a real bargain--particularly if a
moderately large lot is shipped.

I would expect connector prices in the US to be less than half the quote
above.

-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon

Antoine Vignau

Nov 7, 2011, 6:42:54 PM11/7/11
On 7 nov, 23:52, Michael J. Mahon <mjma...@aol.com> wrote:

> Actually, shipping from the US is a real bargain--particularly if a
> moderately large lot is shipped.
>
> (cut cut)

I disagree with that statement, Michael.
I purchase a lot of items in the USA and have them shipped to France
and, despite the exchange rate in favor of Euro vs Dollar, your USPS
has increased international prices a lot and it is not a real bargain
now.

Postal services reduce the number of possibilities in terms of boxes,
weight, etc. and that has increased shipping cost a lot. What I had
shipped for $10 now costs $16. That is also applicable in France also.

We may, one day, use DHL or UPS instead of the national postal
services ;-)

Antoine

Sean Fahey

Nov 7, 2011, 6:52:46 PM11/7/11
I suggested they (Cedric and Vlad) might work out a deal of some sort, within the community - Euro Apple II user to Euro Apple II user.

Peltier Cedric

Nov 8, 2011, 8:24:52 AM11/8/11
Le 08/11/2011 00:52, Sean Fahey a �crit :
> I suggested they (Cedric and Vlad) might work out a deal of some sort, within the community - Euro Apple II user to Euro Apple II user.

This is a nice idea, but selling the DB19 at 8,9$ is more to make money
than supporting the community.
I bought enough connectors to get a discount and dissolve the shipping
cost, but I already know I will not cover all the requests in the future
if they will be all confirmed.
I encountered problem with my current provider and I want to try another
one.
I found an online store selling DB19 at an usual DB connectors price.
They are in the USA but they don't send outside. Maybe I could buy from
them and send the connectors to someone within the USA that will send
them back to me (I have to pay the shipping cost of course). I don't
know if this could worth the cost, but I could check with real prices.

Cedric.

vladitx

Nov 24, 2011, 5:01:19 AM11/24/11
On Nov 7, 4:40 pm, Sean Fahey <a2...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe Cedric can work out a deal with Vlad?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Male-Solder-Co...
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Female-Crimp-C...
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Female-PCB-ang...
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-II-IIe-IIc-IIgs-DB19-Female-Solder-...
>
> The shipping between France and Bulgaria has got to be a lot more reasonable.

That's not me.