Apple IIe - Boot problem and unusual notes

myoldmac.net

Mar 9, 2008, 5:17:19 PM3/9/08
I have a problem with an Apple IIe I just bought.

It does start with a usual "Apple ][" Screen,
but when a floppy drive is attached the drive starts to run
but it seems not to boot the System.

I get some notes on the screen (see photo in my Forum)

http://myoldmac.net/cgi-data/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=794#794

The drive stops after one second and stays silent.

If I use a DOS Master disk I get other notes as I use another
"Autoboot" Disk. But the notes stay the same if I use the same disk.

I took out all cards, tried another Apple II Disk Interface, a second
drive...
The problem still exists - it seems to be the Logic Board.

Does anyone can explain whats wrong with my Apple IIe ?

Oliver

Allen Bong

Mar 9, 2008, 5:58:16 PM3/9/08

Are you able to go to Applesoft and get the " ] " prompt?

I'd try the disk II card on another slot, say 5 or 4 and start the
drive using PR#5 or PR#4. Are you sure the drive heads are not dirty
and the disks are good?

Allen

Alex Freed

Mar 9, 2008, 6:31:07 PM3/9/08
myoldmac.net wrote:
> I have a problem with an Apple IIe I just bought.
>
> It does start with a usual "Apple ][" Screen,
> but when a floppy drive is attached the drive starts to run
> but it seems not to boot the System.
>
> I get some notes on the screen (see photo in my Forum)
>
> http://myoldmac.net/cgi-data/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=794#794

During the boot process the first sector from the floppy is loaded into
memory at address $801 and the code is executed. If your sector 1
happens not to contain a valid program, the CPU will soon hit an invalid
instruction, usually at address $8xx, and beep and show you the monitor
prompt with the offending address.

If all of your floppies behave this way, you may suspect the memory.
You can use the monitor to test the memory.

-Alex.

myoldmac.net

Mar 9, 2008, 7:07:40 PM3/9/08

I get the Apple "]" prompt when I press CTRL + Reset while starting
the Apple.
I tried to use Port #5, the Apple tries to boot atomaticly after power
it up.
When I try to start the drive after the Apple "]" prompt the disk
starts to spinn like
but also shows the descibed notes.

After few minutes of beeing under power...

I heared a popping sound.
Then I saw smoke comming out of the power supply.
... seems that there are several problems with my Apple.
Now the PS seems to have given up.
I need to look inside the PS what happened,
here is some plastic burning smell in the air...

Polymorph

Mar 9, 2008, 8:27:00 PM3/9/08
On Mar 10, 10:07 am, "myoldmac.net" <use...@myoldmac.net> wrote:

<snip>

> After few minutes of beeing under power...
>
> I heared a popping sound.
> Then I saw smoke comming out of the power supply.
> ... seems that there are several problems with my Apple.
> Now the PS seems to have given up.
> I need to look inside the PS what happened,

> here is some plastic burning smell in the air...- Hide quoted text -

This sounds very much like what happened to 2 //e power supplies I
acquired. You will more than likely find the mains filter capacitor
has burst spewing vile smelling brownish goo throughout the internals
of your power supply. This seems to be a common problem when the power
supply has no been used for a long period of time. The capacitor in
question is wired directly across the mains line coming in (i.e. where
the power plug is). It should look very similar to the one displayed
here:
http://membres.lycos.fr/jvernet/Apple3PS/Apple3PS.html

The above pics are from a recent Apple III PS failure, but I can tell
you that the //e one looks almost identical. I can't remember of hand
what the capacitor is rated at, but it should be written on the
capacitor.

If it is the capacitor that I have indicated, then its fairly simply
to find a replacement. I managed to pick them up at the local
electronics dealer here in Australia (Jaycar). It was a little fiddly
wiring in the new capacitors, but nothing terribly difficult.

If you need help with the replacement, let me know and I'll see if I
can provide any additional details - including pictures of the ones I
replaced.

Cheers,
Mike

David Empson

Mar 10, 2008, 7:33:34 AM3/10/08
myoldmac.net <use...@myoldmac.net> wrote:

> I have a problem with an Apple IIe I just bought.
>
> It does start with a usual "Apple ][" Screen,
> but when a floppy drive is attached the drive starts to run
> but it seems not to boot the System.
>
> I get some notes on the screen (see photo in my Forum)
>
> http://myoldmac.net/cgi-data/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=794#794

As far as your secondary question about the French display of "Apple ง*"
is concerned: that is normal if you have the switch set to the native
language.

The Apple //e foreign language models work by changing a few text
characters in the ASCII set to common local characters. In this case, it
seems that a French //e replaces the "]" and "[" with "ง" and something
which looks like "*" respectively.

If you flick the switch under the keyboard you will get the standard US
English character set, and the heading should change back to "Apple ][".

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

myoldmac.net

Mar 10, 2008, 12:44:32 PM3/10/08
> If it is the capacitor that I have indicated, then its fairly simply
> to find a replacement. I managed to pick them up at the local
> electronics dealer here in Australia (Jaycar). It was a little fiddly
> wiring in the new capacitors, but nothing terribly difficult.

Great Info ! thank you. I will open tha PSU and have a look.
Funny wise the PSU works, despite the fact that it burned a little
bit :-)

But I think it is better to replace the capacitor
(and I thougth this problem exists only on Mac Boards...)

Greetings from berlin
Oliver aka MacOS
http://www.myoldmac.net

Michael J. Mahon

Mar 10, 2008, 2:18:37 PM3/10/08
myoldmac.net wrote:
>>If it is the capacitor that I have indicated, then its fairly simply
>>to find a replacement. I managed to pick them up at the local
>>electronics dealer here in Australia (Jaycar). It was a little fiddly
>>wiring in the new capacitors, but nothing terribly difficult.
>

> Great Info ! thank you. I will open tha PSU and have a look.
> Funny wise the PSU works, despite the fact that it burned a little
> bit :-)

That is a characteristic of a popped line bypass capacitor
that doesn't blow the fuse.

> But I think it is better to replace the capacitor
> (and I thougth this problem exists only on Mac Boards...)

It is good to replace it, if only because leaving the shorted
(and blown open) capacitor in-circuit increases the risk of
further damage.

This problem is common to virtually all power supplies--and
to power strips with line bypasses as well. The good news
is that the more common ceramic capacitors seldom fail in
this way if properly rated and surge-protected.

The design purpose of line bypass capacitors is to attenuate
high frequency signals or pulses passing between the AC line
and the power supply. In the case of switching supplies, the
important direction is from the power supply to the line.

The bypass capacitor(s) reduce the levels of switching transients
coupled to the line to reduce interference generated by the
power supply.

If you use an EMI-filtered power strip, the line bypass capacitors
in the power supply are redundant (except for radiation from the
power cord), since the power strip provides a line filter as well.

-michael

NadaPong: Network game demo for Apple II computers!
Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."

myoldmac.net

Mar 11, 2008, 10:10:46 AM3/11/08

> If you use an EMI-filtered power strip, the line bypass capacitors
> in the power supply are redundant (except for radiation from the
> power cord), since the power strip provides a line filter as well.

Very detailed - a bit to much for me :-)
I hope to find a suitable capacitor,
I get back to you when I have opened the PSU.