The best CPC games...

Andreas Peter

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98

I'm going to take my vacation on a lonely hut in the austrian alps this
year. They just got electricity a few weeks before, primary to milk
the cows, secondary for my CPC (well, that's my interpretation ;) ).

So, here we go with a typical, but this time realistic "my 10 games for the
lonely island" situation. Help me, folks,
which ten games would you recommend?

My own thoughts so long:

- They stole a million (never finished this one)
- Bomb jack (the CPC conversion is the best after original arcade)
- a chess game
- Bloodwych (sic!)
- Thrust (simple and good)

so, let the top ten go on! Thanks for any tips!

Andreas

Antoine Reneaut

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
to Andreas Peter
hello i'm french, i'm in the Futurs' group (http://www.chez.com/futurs)
i like very much CPC. My favorite games :
- Megablaster
- Prehistorik II
- Zap't'balls
- Time Scanner
- All linked CPC games !

Brian Watson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Antoine Reneaut wrote in message <35B3C1...@club-internet.fr>...

>> which ten games would you recommend?

Elite
Zap t'Balls
Laser Squad
Pirates
Space Gun (for the bad days)
Rock Star Ate My Hamster
Klaxx
Chess
Tetris
CP/M Protext (I could play with that all day) :-)
--
Brian

Martyn Lycett

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

Brian Watson wrote in message
<901000215.27517.3...@news.demon.co.uk>...

That last one sounds exciting! You wouldn't happen to know who sells it
would you?

Martyn Lycett
:-))

Andreas Peter

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Thank's for the vote, guys,

Elite
Zap t'Balls
Laser Squad
Pirates
Space Gun (for the bad days)
Rock Star Ate My Hamster
Klaxx
Chess
Tetris
CP/M Protext (I could play with that all day) :-)

Elite, pirates, laser squad, some alltime classices. What about Zap t'balls
and Rock Star Ate my Hamster? What kind of genre are these?
And am I right when thinking of Klaxx as a kind of tetris clone?

And well, protext may also be a good choice. I write lyrics after drinking
lots (too much) of beer . To be honest, they are better if you drank lots of
beer before you read them... ;)

- Megablaster

A must have.

- Prehistorik II

Please tell me about this one!

- Zap't'balls
- Time Scanner

- All linked CPC games !

I fear the cows won't play with me... ;)
--

Thanks guys,
Andreas

James Ford

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Let me think:

Zap 'T' Balls
Prehistorik 2
Postman Pat
Elite
Spots/Spots 94
Crazy Snake
Famous Five on a Treasure Island
Super Cauldron
Titus The Fox
Bombjack

For starters anyway....

James Ford (Skunkfish)

E-Mail: james...@hotmail.com
Website: http://surf.to/backside

Eat cheese, use CPCeese

Brian Watson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Martyn Lycett wrote in message <6p1eja$rgg$1...@plutonium.btinternet.com>...

>Brian Watson wrote in message
><901000215.27517.3...@news.demon.co.uk>...
>>CP/M Protext (I could play with that all day) :-)
>>--
>>Brian
>
>That last one sounds exciting! You wouldn't happen to know who sells it
>would you?

I know who **doesn't**.

:-)

--
Brian

Brian Watson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Andreas Peter wrote in message <6p2f1b$3k4$1...@goof.de.uu.net>...

>Thank's for the vote, guys,

>Elite, pirates, laser squad, some alltime classices. What about Zap t'balls
>and Rock Star Ate my Hamster?

First is a sort of "shooting balloons" thing, the second is a Pop music
business simulation.

>And am I right when thinking of Klaxx as a kind of tetris clone?

Yes. tiles roll down the screen and you have to "catch them and stack them".
Three in a row of the same colour (vertical, horizontal or diagonal) scores
points.

>And well, protext may also be a good choice. I write lyrics after drinking
>lots (too much) of beer . To be honest, they are better if you drank lots
of
>beer before you read them... ;)

I think that is called "format matching" in technical circles.

:-)

--
Brian

Brian Watson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
James Ford wrote in message
<901049528.11136.1...@news.demon.co.uk>...
>Let me think:
>

>Famous Five on a Treasure Island

Isn't that insoluble? Perhaps that's its charm.

:-)

--
Brian

Simon Forrester

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <901057504.3486.4...@news.demon.co.uk>, "Brian
Watson" <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Andreas Peter wrote in message <6p2f1b$3k4$1...@goof.de.uu.net>...
> >Thank's for the vote, guys,
>

> >Elite, pirates, laser squad, some alltime classices. What about Zap t'balls
> >and Rock Star Ate my Hamster?
>
> First is a sort of "shooting balloons" thing, the second is a Pop music
> business simulation.

Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
Pang? I think not...

--
simon.f...@domain.on.the.right - www.futurenet.com
www.sfnet.co.uk - www.culttv.co.uk - www.hairy.co.uk

It's only ever opinion - if it really scares you that much, feel free to insert whatever cosy acronyms and figures of speech you'd like to hold your hand while you read the above text.

Philip Stewart

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:14:06 +0200, "Andreas Peter"
<ape...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>- They stole a million (never finished this one)
>- Bomb jack (the CPC conversion is the best after original arcade)
>- a chess game

Cyrus chess is quite good as chess games go. Often beats me too (I
don't play enough chess, evidently :-) )

>- Bloodwych (sic!)
>- Thrust (simple and good)

Thrust rules. Can you beat my score of 71000 and something? :-)

>so, let the top ten go on! Thanks for any tips!

Must include Thing On A Spring, let's see, I might take Arkanoid and
Warhawk too.

From Phil

All Things CPC - http://stewart.connect-2.co.uk/AllTCPC.html

"Oh, it's largely intuitive, Archchancellor," said Ponder.
"Obviously you have to spend a lot of time learning it
first, though..."

David Wykes

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:41:30 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com
(Simon Forrester) wrote:

>In article <901057504.3486.4...@news.demon.co.uk>, "Brian
>Watson" <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Andreas Peter wrote in message <6p2f1b$3k4$1...@goof.de.uu.net>...
>> >Thank's for the vote, guys,
>>

>> >Elite, pirates, laser squad, some alltime classices. What about Zap t'balls
>> >and Rock Star Ate my Hamster?
>>
>> First is a sort of "shooting balloons" thing, the second is a Pop music
>> business simulation.
>
>Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
>Pang? I think not...

probably the fact you needed a plus or GX to play Pang?
Not that i've got Pang for my GX nor have i actually played ZtB

David

Nich Campbell

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Andreas Peter wrote:

: which ten games would you recommend?

Look no further than http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d70sw0/top10.htm and bookmark
it!

--
Nicholas "Nich" Campbell | mailto:n.a.ca...@durham.ac.uk
OTTO On-Line | http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d70sw0/

Nich Campbell

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Simon Forrester wrote:
: Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
: Pang? I think not...

Unfortunately, I can't comment on that, because some of us don't have
Pluses, and therefore can't play Pang. I thought Zap't'Balls was quite
good, although I'm so crap I can't get off the second level of the second
world!

Marcus Durham

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
In article <simon.forrester-...@172.18.62.107> Simon
Forrester <simon.f...@somewhere.com> shared the following with us
in comp.sys.amstrad.8bit:
[snip]

>Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though?
[snip]

Zap't'Balls is a pile of pooh. Although I recall AA saying different, eh
Simon?

--
Marcus Durham
The UMTSDW Homepage. News, reviews and Bates:

Simon Forrester

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
In article <35b728da...@nnrp.news.uk.psi.net>,
David...@removeme.curtisfinepapers.com (David Wykes) wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:41:30 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com
> (Simon Forrester) wrote:
>

> >Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
> >Pang? I think not...
> >

> probably the fact you needed a plus or GX to play Pang?
> Not that i've got Pang for my GX nor have i actually played ZtB

Hmm - I mean yeah, if you can't play Pang then ZTB is the only other
alternative, but that doesn't make it anywhere near as good as, whether
you have the choice or not. ZTB really was a poor second cousin.

Simon Forrester

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
In article <4+QUjaAa...@zenn.demon.co.uk>, Marcus Durham
<Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <simon.forrester-...@172.18.62.107> Simon
> Forrester <simon.f...@somewhere.com> shared the following with us
> in comp.sys.amstrad.8bit:
> [snip]

> >Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though?

> [snip]
>
> Zap't'Balls is a pile of pooh. Although I recall AA saying different, eh
> Simon?

It was the first review I ever did for AA, and I was extremely kind to it
in retrospect. Having said that, we still got a torrent of sh?te about the
score being too low.

Shaun M. Neary

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:41:30 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com
(Simon Forrester) pondered for a while, then sent the following
babble:

>Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
>Pang? I think not...

Probably because ZTB was playable on both plus and CPC's, Pang was
only released on one of those shitty carts. There were about 3 decent
carts, Burnin Rubber, SCI and probably Pang. It does look good, you
have to admit that simon, but It's a clone, you're hardly gonna fault
it because of that are you? Clones of anything classic will pop up,
Look at tetris for christ sake. ;)

Spike

"Y'see, much as it pains me to say this, most
of the people who read AA were, in fact, complete
f*cking idiots." - Simon Forrester

Shaun M. Neary: Email: spike(@)spyring.com

Brian Watson

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
Shaun M. Neary wrote in message <35b9bf7a...@news.indigo.ie>...

>On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:41:30 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com
>(Simon Forrester) pondered for a while, then sent the following
>babble:
>
>>Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
>>Pang? I think not...
>
>Probably because ZTB was playable on both plus and CPC's, Pang was
>only released on one of those shitty carts. There were about 3 decent
>carts, Burnin Rubber, SCI and probably Pang.

And Klaxx; another good combination of simple concept but very addictive.

--
Brian

Philip Stewart

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:08:17 GMT, sp...@in-the-sig.com (Shaun M.
Neary) wrote:
>Clones of anything classic will pop up,
>Look at tetris for christ sake. ;)

How true. Even today when the wonders of CD-ROMs, the internet, and
PCs that go faster than a cheetah on steroids capable of doing so much
more than any 8-bit are here to provide us with endless possibilities
we still get clones. Look at the DOOM saga, or more recently Command &
Conquer. Some things never change ...

Marcus Durham

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
In article <35b9bf7a...@news.indigo.ie> "Shaun M. Neary" <spike@in-
the-sig.com> shared the following with us in comp.sys.amstrad.8bit:

>On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:41:30 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com
>(Simon Forrester) pondered for a while, then sent the following
>babble:
>
>>Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
>>Pang? I think not...
>
>Probably because ZTB was playable on both plus and CPC's, Pang was
>only released on one of those shitty carts. There were about 3 decent
>carts, Burnin Rubber, SCI and probably Pang.

Switchblade, Navy Seals, etc.

>It does look good, you
>have to admit that simon, but It's a clone, you're hardly gonna fault
>it because of that are you?

[snip]

Yes, because it's a crap clone. And it's a clone missing half the
features of the original. A poor rip-off that would still look poor if
it was PD.

Simon Forrester

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
In article <35b9bf7a...@news.indigo.ie>, sp...@in-the-sig.com (Shaun
M. Neary) wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:41:30 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com
> (Simon Forrester) pondered for a while, then sent the following
> babble:
>
> >Why does everyone like Zap't'Balls so much, though? Was it better than
> >Pang? I think not...
>
> Probably because ZTB was playable on both plus and CPC's, Pang was
> only released on one of those shitty carts. There were about 3 decent

> carts, Burnin Rubber, SCI and probably Pang. It does look good, you

> have to admit that simon, but It's a clone, you're hardly gonna fault

> it because of that are you? Clones of anything classic will pop up,

> Look at tetris for christ sake. ;)

No, I don't think it looked that good. I think it looked a bit garish, and
amateurish for it. And yeah, it was a clone, no, that doesn't make it
inherently bad, but yeah, it was a poor clone. Gameplay was missing, and
no amount of flash will replace a gameplay flaw.

Shaun M. Neary

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:11:35 +0100, simon.f...@somewhere.com

(Simon Forrester) pondered for a while, then sent the following
babble:

>No, I don't think it looked that good. I think it looked a bit garish, and

>amateurish for it. And yeah, it was a clone, no, that doesn't make it
>inherently bad, but yeah, it was a poor clone. Gameplay was missing, and
>no amount of flash will replace a gameplay flaw.

I dunno, I thought it was good for a clone, considering all the dire
Manic Miner, Pacman, Gauntlet and Tetris clones compared to the
original. The Arcade was pretty much the same though, I mean, maybe
it's just me, but after level 3 on the arcade version of pang I just
got fed up because there was nothing interesting. Half of the weapons
were nothing special (although correct me if I'm wrong, at least Pang
*HAD* weapons)

Maybe all this would have more of a base for it if Ocean had released
Pang on Cass/Disk for all Amstrad machines ;)

Spike

"Y'see, much as it pains me to say this, most
of the people who read AA were, in fact, complete
f*cking idiots." - Simon Forrester

Shaun M. Neary: Email: spike(@)thehelm.com

Shaun M. Neary

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:53:06 +0100, Marcus Durham
<Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> pondered for a while, then sent the
following babble:

>>Probably because ZTB was playable on both plus and CPC's, Pang was

>>only released on one of those shitty carts. There were about 3 decent
>>carts, Burnin Rubber, SCI and probably Pang.
>

>Switchblade, Navy Seals, etc.

With the exception of the extra colour, The cart version of
Switchblade offered nothing that the CPC version had.
Navy Seals did f**k all for me either.

>Yes, because it's a crap clone. And it's a clone missing half the
>features of the original. A poor rip-off that would still look poor if
>it was PD.

I don't get why people thought Warings clones were good when they
looked dire, played woeful, and had nothing new to offer, whereas
Pang looked ok, and played alright, (but not a patch on the original,
I never said that it had), but it was ok for CPC users when you
consider that they had no other alternative.

Shaun M. Neary

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:21:16 GMT, phil_s...@yahoo.com (Philip
Stewart) pondered for a while, then sent the following babble:

>On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:08:17 GMT, sp...@in-the-sig.com (Shaun M.
>Neary) wrote:
>>Clones of anything classic will pop up,
>>Look at tetris for christ sake. ;)
>

>How true. Even today when the wonders of CD-ROMs, the internet, and
>PCs that go faster than a cheetah on steroids capable of doing so much
>more than any 8-bit are here to provide us with endless possibilities
>we still get clones. Look at the DOOM saga, or more recently Command &
>Conquer. Some things never change ...

Oh god, I'm so sick of Doom Clones, Even Quake II was a tad of a
letdown, As for C&C, I personally preferred North and South on the CPC
to either C&C or red alert.

Oh, and I forgot to mention my top 10 games

1. Chase HQ
2. Switchblade
3. The Wild Bunch, (Ok it's more adventure, but I had a blast for
about 2 years playing this)
4. Barbarian II
5. Rick Dangerous (sorry, I found the second one too long)
6. Renegade
7. Gryzor
8. Magic Land Dizzy
9. Dark Fusion
10. (and certainly not least), Lazer Squad

(sorry, I never could get into Elite, patience was something i never
had.)

Those games weren't in any order btw...

Marcus Durham

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
In article <35bd6d1a...@news.indigo.ie> "Shaun M. Neary" <spike@in-

the-sig.com> shared the following with us in comp.sys.amstrad.8bit:
[snip]

>With the exception of the extra colour, The cart version of
>Switchblade offered nothing that the CPC version had.

Apart from the faster loading, the better graphics and the fact that it
was released about 6 months earlier. The normal CPC version was merely a
downgrade of the cart version.

>Navy Seals did f**k all for me either.

[snip]

Yes, well it does require a certain skill. But hey, I'm sure you're good
at something.

Shaun M. Neary

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:31:18 +0100, Marcus Durham
<Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> pondered for a while, then sent the
following babble:

>Apart from the faster loading, the better graphics and the fact that it

>was released about 6 months earlier. The normal CPC version was merely a
>downgrade of the cart version.

They both came out around the same time in Dublin, they were too lazy
to order the thing in. I still don't think there's that much
difference.

>Yes, well it does require a certain skill. But hey, I'm sure you're good
>at something.

Wasn't that you that was complaining that Robocop puzzle levels were
too hard a couple of weeks back?

Marcus Durham

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
In article <35c442d...@news.indigo.ie> "Shaun M. Neary" <spike@in-

the-sig.com> shared the following with us in comp.sys.amstrad.8bit:
>On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:31:18 +0100, Marcus Durham
><Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> pondered for a while, then sent the
>following babble:
>
>>Apart from the faster loading, the better graphics and the fact that it
>>was released about 6 months earlier. The normal CPC version was merely a
>>downgrade of the cart version.
>
>They both came out around the same time in Dublin, they were too lazy
>to order the thing in. I still don't think there's that much
>difference.

Apart from the faster loading, the extra colours and the fact it was
avaliable 6 months earlier?

>>Yes, well it does require a certain skill. But hey, I'm sure you're good
>>at something.
>
>Wasn't that you that was complaining that Robocop puzzle levels were
>too hard a couple of weeks back?

No.

Shaun M. Neary

Aug 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/4/98
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 21:16:15 +0100, Marcus Durham

<Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> pondered for a while, then sent the
following babble:

>Apart from the faster loading, the extra colours and the fact it was
>avaliable 6 months earlier?

Like I said, they both came out at the same time here in Dublin so
that made no difference to me. As for faster loading. Hey, I got the
thing on disk. So it really didn't make much difference to me.